Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I tried again, got up whilst flying down to the planet. Went for a wander round my ship, went through a perfectly normal door into a different room. Choked to death.

It's really hard to describe how bad this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hi tojal, some quick thoughts:
  • Star Citizen is absolutely still a scam. Unless they - miraculously - deliver everything they promised (which is extremely unlikely as some of these features have been cut) you will not get what you paid for.
  • Chris Roberts, similarly, is absolutely a charlatan and fraud (fraud here meaning the common term rather than legal definition: a person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities). If you'd like to see a list of times Chris Roberts has misled and indeed outright lied to his customers, I'm sure there's one around somewhere.
  • Yes, I do feel bad that CIG doesn't give enough of a poo poo about its customers to treat them with any kind of dignity or even tell them the truth on a regular basis. I mean hell, I would settle for "not actively lying to consumers" but they can't even be bothered to do that. You should probably feel bad about that too, to be honest.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Aramoro posted:

So I got in game, stole a catapiller, flew it to Hurston, reentered atmosphere and then my party disbanded?? And was kicked out of the game.

It's hard to put into words how bad this all is. The audio is clipping in and out like mad also

It’s sort of impressive, in a sick kind of way, that in TYOOL 2018, CIG finds it difficult to play a loving sound file through the speakers. Perhaps they’re using CR’s hand coded 1994 SoundBlaster driver and its having IRQ issues.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

hamtwoslices.net, although it appears Ben finally wised up and purged it of all the horrifying content.

This is it, I was just thinking of his weird twitter handle of banditloaf.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ZekeNY posted:

It’s sort of impressive, in a sick kind of way, that in TYOOL 2018, CIG finds it difficult to play a loving sound file through the speakers. Perhaps they’re using CR’s hand coded 1994 SoundBlaster driver and its having IRQ issues.

In ten years Star Citizen's release is going to mark the glorious return of mandatory sound cards for gaming. Long live the nineties!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

• Star Citizen is absolutely still a scam. Unless they - miraculously - deliver everything they promised (which is extremely unlikely as some of these features have been cut) you will not get what you paid for.
  • Chris Roberts, similarly, is absolutely a charlatan and fraud (fraud here meaning the common term rather than legal definition: a person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities). If you'd like to see a list of times Chris Roberts has misled and indeed outright lied to his customers, I'm sure there's one around somewhere.
  • Yes, I do feel bad that CIG doesn't give enough of a poo poo about its customers to treat them with any kind of dignity or even tell them the truth on a regular basis. I mean hell, I would settle for "not actively lying to consumers" but they can't even be bothered to do that. You should probably feel bad about that too, to be honest.

*ADDS "snowflake" to FUNCTION.usertag*

*Hide entries if FUNCTION.usertag = "snowflake"*

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/1067455427108052997

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sarsapariller posted:

SARSAPARILLER'S SASSY SHIP SPERGING
A brief review of autism chariots

Sarsapariller posted:

Day Two- Roberts Space Industries

Sarsapariller posted:

Day Three- Origin Jumpworks

Day Four- Aegis Dynamics

Day Five- Drake Interplanetary

Named for Nathan Drake, discoverer of Cortez's last expedition, the legendary lost city of gold and also Shambala as well as a few other games I haven't played, Drake Interplanetary is also all about shooting native peoples and relieving them of their treasures. This is the pirate company, that makes illegal pirate ships, for pirating. It's like a company whose primary clientele was Somali pirates. Yeah I don't know how they make any sales either. Also, you cannot actually pirate in Star Citizen. On with the show!

Drake Dragonfly
Price: 40 loving actual dollars for a space bike
Guns: Surprisingly it has a shotgun mounted on it
Speed: Really slow actually
Can It Do Anything Other Than Fight: Can't even fight
Reviewer's Thoughts: I was all prepared to praise CIG for at least having a kind-of-fun hoverbike that works in zero g or on a planet. Then I looked at the price- forty loving dollars! What the hell? This thing isn't a ship, it is like an accessory at best, and it costs as much as existing AAA games! gently caress you Star Citizen. Ugh. Anyway, this bike kind of sucks. For some reason it has shotguns mounted on it but there's nothing to shoot on the ground ever. Its top speed is 50 m/s which, for reference, is half the speed of the glacially slow Hammerhead capital ship. It is actually slower than the two wheeled vehicles in the game. It does have the actually-kind-of-nice feature that, when you're hover-biking, it will raise and lower to keep you just above obstacles like trees and rocks. If it were faster, this would make it far and away the best way to get around on the ground without constantly hitting poo poo. Unfortunately it's slow as poo poo. Oh also if you hit anything, it likes to spazz the gently caress out and just kind of rocket off into space, up up and away like a piece of poo poo. One final note- you cannot set waypoints for yourself while in ground vehicles. This makes getting around extremely challenging at best.

Drake Herald
Price: 85 dollars for a space missile with a chair strapped to it
Guns: Of course it has guns, everything has guns
Speed: Probably pretty fast
Can It Do Anything Other Than Fight: No
Reviewer's Thoughts: Citizens hate on this ship a lot. Not because, as you might expect, it is a "Data Runner" in a game with no data and no running of same, but because it was originally sold with a big weird asymmetric doodad on it and on release it doesn't have that. Citizens are very, very concerned about the visuals of their ships- they don't really give a poo poo if they don't function. Anyway this is another ship that sucks, the whole premise is that it moves poo poo around fast but hey guess what Chris Roberts in another surprise decision made all the small, cheap ships way loving slower than the big ships. So, if you want to move data, hope you bought an Idris cause it'd be faster to stick your extremely fast courier inside your frigate than to fly anywhere in it yourself. Other than that, this thing is crap and it costs 85 dollars. I'd call it robbery but we're just getting started.

Drake Cutlass
Price: 100 dollars
Guns: 4 gimbals, 1 manned turret
Speed: It's alright
Can It Do Anything Other Than Fight: Sure
Reviewer's Thoughts: Ah, the Cutlass. Beer's favorite ship! This ship has a long and troubled history. When it was first launched it was kind of the poster child for what was wrong with Star Citizen. It was billed as a sleek dangerous pirate ship, and Citizens who were at the time terrified of being griefed demanded that it not be as good as their chariots. Ben Lesnick, master of ships, complied and the first version of the Cutlass was a fat tub that looked like crap and flew even worse. It was fragile and pointless and everyone who'd spent 100 bucks on one was incandescently furious. Then it became apparent that goons and pirates in general were not actually going to play Star Citizen, and the furor about being hunted like vermin by genetically superior space bullies died down. Eventually the Cutlass got like 8 reworks, and now in the year of our lord 2018 is actually one of the best ships in the game. It is extremely tough to the point of absurdity, it has good guns, it is fast, it has a nice sized cargo hold, it doesn't have all the frilly bullshit like sinks and espresso machines that clutter half the other ships in the game, and the overall look and feel is very sleek and cool. This'd probably be a 300 dollar ship these days, but it is grandfathered in at 100 dollars. Unfortunately it is still a ship in Star Citizen, which is like being one of the nicest turds in the 1000 foot tall mountain of horse manure.

Drake Buccaneer
Price: 110 dollars
Guns: 2 wings and a nose gun
Speed: Really fast
Reviewer's Thoughts: I don't get this ship. It is another small fighter, and sucks basically worse than any other fighter in the game. It is clearly the "NPC tie-fighter" ship that is designed to be destroyed in the dozens by the player. Yet here it is, for sale to you, at 110 actual dollars. That is right, this ship costs more than the tougher, more dangerous, more "Do-everything" Cutlass. It's... faster, I guess? I mean, only in regular space. The Cutlass is actually faster in QT. So yeah. Don't, uh, don't buy this. Or any other ship in the game.

Drake Caterpillar
Price: 295 dollars
Guns: Apparently this thing has some
Speed: Really slow
Can It Do Anything Other Than Fight: I guess
Reviewer's Thoughts: I love that CIG has set the real life prices and priorities for development based on the aesthetic value of the ships in game. See, luxury ships like the Constellation Phoenix cost 400 dollars and get multiple reworks because they are elite and only rich people get them. This, which is basically a capital ship sized transport? Ew, it's a pirate ship, cut 100 bucks off the price, kick it out the door, never touch it again. Chris reflecting on your stupidity has become like a daily meditation for me, and it hurts. It hurts me, Chris. Anyway the Caterpillar was sold as some kind of piratey pirate ship which never made a lick of goddamn sense because it is a huge unwieldy transport. I guess the idea was that your pirate fleet would disable the enemy and then ride off with the loot in this thing. Also a lot of fuss was made about this thing being able to transport smaller fighters in the cargo bays, which may actually have been the first recorded case of the "It's a POCKET CARRIER" sale. Naturally it can't actually do that- the only fighter that sort of fits is the Merlin and it jitters and explodes if you try it. Oh also this ship was sold with like bulkhead cutters and pirate docking collars for forced boarding actions and none of that ever materialized either because Chris has no idea what he's doing and just kind of makes poo poo up. Luckily, this is currently the best cargo ship in the game with almost double the capacity of the "Starfarer." Unluckily, trade in the game is completely hosed and you can't do bulk trades without running the risk of losing your entire credit balance in one shot. So it's a pirate ship that can't pirate, a trade ship that can't trade, and a pocket carrier that can't carry pockets. But it can sure reach into your pockets. Empty your wallets for Star Citizen and a one way ticket to second-class citizen status, you pirate scum.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 27, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thank you sarspariller those own. Also still waiting on an update on the very important SOTA cross pledge FPS crossbow package what’s up with that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Thank you sarspariller those own. Also still waiting on an update on the very important SOTA cross pledge FPS crossbow package what’s up with that

Yeah for real. These are great reviews of this terrible rear end game.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Aramoro posted:

I tried again, got up whilst flying down to the planet. Went for a wander round my ship, went through a perfectly normal door into a different room. Choked to death.

It's really hard to describe how bad this is.

In this case you probably choked to death because it registered you as out of atmosphere without your suit on. You're playing the game wrong. Here, some pointers:

• Don't do anything
  • No seriously, do not under any circumstances attempt to do anything
  • The game is extremely fragile and trying to do stuff will cause it to break
  • You will die for no reason
  • Running too fast on the loving stairs will kill you, seriously, it happens all the time
  • Just buy spaceships and take pictures of spaceships

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ZekeNY posted:

First of all, please play that music to your unborn baby.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:laugh:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

It's called 10 for the chairman.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Frog Act posted:

It's like a fractal of bullshit. Every time I stare at any one ship I start remembering 6 years of run-arounds, huge mistakes, broken releases, and reworks. Seriously if you just added up all the time they've spent redoing the same ships over and over and over, it's got to clock in at like 2 years of their total dev time by now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I hate that shirt.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hey the PIRATE SHIP CARRIER is back on sale today

1400 new money only

oh hey it's sold out already

lol

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

I hate that shirt.

I am amazed Roberts hasn't sold Donkey Sauce.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

So that would be the second or third fastest ship in between the station and the planet?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

big nipples big life posted:

So that would be the second or third fastest ship in between the station and the planet?

It doesn't exist

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Quavers posted:

It doesn't exist

Yeah but we already know the more expensive it is the faster it is.

Not pay 2 win by the way.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
It really isn't pay to win because the more money you give them the worse off you are.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Lladre posted:

It really isn't pay to win because the more money you give them the worse off you are.

They never actually specify who is winning.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Prices so steep they actually shock some citizens into a moment of self reflection. I try to encourage that:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Meanwhile, in the actual game today:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/a0sz14/i_swear_everytime_i_go_to_lorville_i_fall_deeper/

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
removed: missed the quote

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 27, 2018

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

I like how the ramp{stairs} doesn't allow the thing to go up it, even though it has plenty of clearance.

Also half the tire clips into the floor.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

monkeytek posted:

I bet you even ate some of it you dirty thief!

The Pherliac Pods. Is THAT it? I really thought you would have more. Have you been using them...?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lladre posted:

The Pherliac Pods. Is THAT it? I really thought you would have more. Have you been using them...?

I've had to run that mission a few times to get the systems blueprint.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MarcusSA posted:

I hate that shirt.

Youre dead to me.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Chris Roberts is definitely a member of this club

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/...agenumber%3D532

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Youre dead to me.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well hell. No Donkey Sauce on this here kickstarted game.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

These guys need to petition cig to restart the 10FTC so all their hopes and dreams can be confirmed into reality.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Grubby Hobo posted:

"Son, I'd like to give you something special"

"What is it, Dad?"

"It's an Optane. Brought to you by Intel. And a Super Hornet. You know, in Star Citizen, that game I always post about on Twitter."

"Um, thanks, Dad. Uh...Dad?"

"Yes, what is it, son?"

"Your Twitter avatar really creeps me out."

:lol:

This made me laugh only because I can see him shilling to his friends and family as a sort of natural conversation event.

"This is great spaghetti, but not as great as the fidelity eggs in Star Citizen, honey! They are dynamically generates to be different each time! Here's a link to the rsi store. Say honey, have you been wanting a new job lately? RSI is hiring for these 86 positions today!"

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I am glad that my tale of bad decisions and idiocy has become legend even among Citizens

You're making a bunch of terrible decisions
"You made a bunch of terrible decisions just like the one I'm making now! :smug:"
Uh...
Yep. That's true? Stop making those decisions like I did.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Drake Buccaneer
Price: 110 dollars
Guns: 2 wings and a nose gun
Speed: Really fast
Reviewer's Thoughts: I don't get this ship. It is another small fighter, and sucks basically worse than any other fighter in the game. It is clearly the "NPC tie-fighter" ship that is designed to be destroyed in the dozens by the player. Yet here it is, for sale to you, at 110 actual dollars. That is right, this ship costs more than the tougher, more dangerous, more "Do-everything" Cutlass. It's... faster, I guess? I mean, only in regular space. The Cutlass is actually faster in QT. So yeah. Don't, uh, don't buy this. Or any other ship in the game.

Here's a Fun Spaceship Fact:

This ship, the Buccaneer, exists primarily because the Cutlass got turbofucked by Benjamin Lesnick, Master and Commander of Ships. When they finally acknowledged that perhaps simultaneously selling the Cutlass as a "fighter/interdictor" and "light freight" ship was a mistake, they ginned up the Buccaneer to appease the people who wanted their Cutlass to be a fighter. The fact that they were selling it for $10 more than the Cutlass (the price of the Buc has never changed) was just a little extra salt in the wounds for the "muh interceptor" crew (love you Beer)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

I am glad that my tale of bad decisions and idiocy has become legend even among Citizens

You're making a bunch of terrible decisions
"You made a bunch of terrible decisions just like the one I'm making now! :smug:"
Uh...
Yep. That's true? Stop making those decisions like I did.

Anyway, thanks for refunding....hehe

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Here's a Fun Spaceship Fact:

This ship, the Buccaneer, exists primarily because the Cutlass got turbofucked by Benjamin Lesnick, Master and Commander of Ships. When they finally acknowledged that perhaps simultaneously selling the Cutlass as a "fighter/interdictor" and "light freight" ship was a mistake, they ginned up the Buccaneer to appease the people who wanted their Cutlass to be a fighter. The fact that they were selling it for $10 more than the Cutlass (the price of the Buc has never changed) was just a little extra salt in the wounds for the "muh interceptor" crew (love you Beer)

There is going to be a day, one magical shining day, when they have to go tell people that they're merging some already sold ships to make room in the 'roles' for a new range of ships.

It's my dream. It's my nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hav posted:

There is going to be a day, one magical shining day, when they have to go tell people that they're merging some already sold ships to make room in the 'roles' for a new range of ships.

It's my dream. It's my nightmare.

At this point, with them selling out $1400 ships after 7 years, I cannot see what would happen to make them have to do this. whales have infinite money and CR is going to hoover up all of them tho.