Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

He never follows up in the thread, but I guess realized he can't afford that car. So then he starts posintg:

"Is this a good deal ? 2009 328xi"

Yes, an $8500 10 year old BMW is a great idea kid.
Aren't BMWs especially lovely because maintenance costs on them are unreasonably high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of being bad with money: The US national debt. Are there any good unbiased sources that do the math about various social programs, healthcare programs, tax cuts and so on suggested by the various political figures and sides in the US? I'm sitting here in Europe, scared about US debt.

Its still managable at these levels with debt to gdp ratio of 105, its certainly on the upper level of things, when compared to individual European countries.

As others have mentioned, being the worlds reserve currency gives a lot of options to protecting the USA economy. But the debt to GDP has been growing extremely quickly over the past decade and with the current deficit, it really can become problematic, especially when the next recession hits, the time a country is supposed to run a large deficit...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hoodwinker posted:

Car loan 72 months and 7.29%APR

I don't even know cars and I could see how BWM this was.

I love them starting at credit card interest and then bringing it down to the level for unsecured loans to sway him.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
You really don’t even need to tax the kinda-wealthy or cut back on military spending. Just tax the ultra-wealthy 580ish billionaires in the US and corporations appropriately, leave everything else the same.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

You really don’t even need to tax the kinda-wealthy or cut back on military spending. Just tax the ultra-wealthy 580ish billionaires in the US and corporations appropriately, leave everything else the same.

Taxing corporations heavily will hurt a wide swathe of the kinda-wealthy who make a lot of money in RSUs/options, and as far as taxing billionaires making any sizable dent in the debt, you would need to be talking wealth taxes as opposed to income taxes. I'm all in favor of a steeper income tax curve at the top end, but there's some dangerous territory in wealth taxes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's also worth noting that a huge amount of the US debt is owned basically by the US itself; about a third is owed to actual US government entities or branches like the SS trust fund or the federal reserve and USG retirement vehicles, and another third is owed to US people and institutions. That doesn't make it meaningless or irrelevant, but it's very different than all that money being owed externally to foreign countries or institutions which was the case for somewhere like Greece. China is the biggest single foreign holder, but they only have 7% of the debt.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Just get rid of ltcg tax so all capital gains are taxed at the same rate as income.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

baquerd posted:

Taxing corporations heavily will hurt a wide swathe of the kinda-wealthy who make a lot of money in RSUs/options, and as far as taxing billionaires making any sizable dent in the debt, you would need to be talking wealth taxes as opposed to income taxes. I'm all in favor of a steeper income tax curve at the top end, but there's some dangerous territory in wealth taxes.

The 585 US billionaires have a combined net worth of just north of $3 trillion.

The US National Debt is $21 trillion.

Confiscate everything the entirety of that $3 trillion, you put a small dent in the national debt, and then you spend it back up to $21 trillion a few years later.

What's an "appropriate" corporate tax? It used to be 39%, which was one of the highest statutory rates in the world (and the only ones higher were not-really-countries like Puerto Rico and the UAE). Granted, that's statutory rate, not effective rate, but even if you look at the effective corporate tax rate the US came in at 4th-highest in the world, pretty much the same as the UK's and behind only Argentina and Japan. The statutory rate just went down to 25%, but a number of major deductions were eliminated, we don't have a good handle on what the effective corporate tax rate is for 2018. What's appropriate? The UK's is 18.6%. Canada's is 8.5%.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hoodwinker posted:

Aren't BMWs especially lovely because maintenance costs on them are unreasonably high?

Yes. The 3 series not nearly as bad as the 7 series (and to some extent the 5 as well).

Also, the maintenance is manageable - if it's done on time. It quickly spirals out of control in like every last one of these cars once they hit the $15k range and end up on a tote your note lot, where people who can't afford them just drive until the stop driving with zero maintenance.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I’m confused as to what the big problem will be for the US if the debt gets too high. It’s all in US dollars which are still the world reserve currency and between the demand for dollars and for the debt itself it seems like it won’t really be a problem. If we have another recession the demand for Treasuries will go way up anyway, so the interest rate on the debt will fall.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ranbo das posted:

Just get rid of ltcg tax so all capital gains are taxed at the same rate as income.

Just graduate it more, don't treat middle-incomes having investments on the same level as people getting millions in LTCGs a year.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Phanatic posted:

The 585 US billionaires have a combined net worth of just north of $3 trillion.

The US National Debt is $21 trillion.

Confiscate everything the entirety of that $3 trillion, you put a small dent in the national debt, and then you spend it back up to $21 trillion a few years later.

The absolute national debt doesn't matter, it doesn't need to ever be paid back really.

Phanatic posted:

What's an "appropriate" corporate tax? It used to be 39%, which was one of the highest statutory rates in the world (and the only ones higher were not-really-countries like Puerto Rico and the UAE). Granted, that's statutory rate, not effective rate, but even if you look at the effective corporate tax rate the US came in at 4th-highest in the world, pretty much the same as the UK's and behind only Argentina and Japan. The statutory rate just went down to 25%, but a number of major deductions were eliminated, we don't have a good handle on what the effective corporate tax rate is for 2018. What's appropriate? The UK's is 18.6%. Canada's is 8.5%.

If you can design a tax system freely (which we obviously can't, we can't do anything at all about taxes) then it would be better to tax corporations at 0% and make sure all ways to get money out of a corporation is taxed apropriately (heavily, ideally in some way tied to the payroll taxes so that it punishes extra hard if there are not commensurate wages paid). Then add heavily progressive income and wealth taxes.

Corporate taxes are a mess mostly.

The US is bad with money.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

US Gov't: we are running on a huge deficit. here is my budget. help, my people are dying!
budget -
food: $100
medicine: $200
shelter: $300
industrial military complex: $874,400,000,000

"spend less on industrial military complex"

US Gov't: no

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

I’m confused as to what the big problem will be for the US if the debt gets too high. It’s all in US dollars which are still the world reserve currency and between the demand for dollars and for the debt itself it seems like it won’t really be a problem. If we have another recession the demand for Treasuries will go way up anyway, so the interest rate on the debt will fall.

A lot of this hinges on what is meant by "too high", but the basic way this ends poorly is if the USA debt continues to grow. Investors may start worrying about the USA's potential to service the debt (granted we are a long way from this point) and that pushes the interest rate on the debt up. As the currency further devalues (via printing money to service the debt) and interest rates need to continuously be raised, countries around the world would effectively abandon the US $ as the global reserve currency. Like I said though, this scenario is a very long way off.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

When you can issue debt in your own currency, the rules are different. Japan is running debt way above the US in terms of debt to gdp ratios, but can borrow in yen so they have low borrowing costs. Japan’s economic slowness is more about demographics than public debt.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

The absolute national debt doesn't matter, it doesn't need to ever be paid back really.

That's a very BWM take.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-bonds-foreign-graphic/foreign-buyers-find-u-s-treasuries-less-appealing-idUSKCN1NV27V

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

That's very much a question of the relative change of the national debt though, which, depending on magnitude, can be an issue.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Concerned about the house we bought and our overspending. First time finance poster.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a0vzny/concerned_about_the_house_we_bought_and_our/

quote:

My husband and I just moved into a new house that on paper we could afford. I work full time and he’s in school full time. I make 6 figures, but with a big mortgage and his school payments, we’re living uncomfortably tight and often not meeting our budget requirements.

To add to that, starting in January, our daughter is going to be heading to daycare, another expense that seems never ending. We’ve exhausted our parents kind hearts for 16 months and now need to move her into daycare. They’re on the older side and she’s becoming too much for them to handle.

My issue is this- we have a budget that’s laid out cost by cost. We’ve looked through it all. We’ve made, what I thought, was a good budget to stick to, and we just never can seem to do it. Do we move to the cash/envelope solution? Did I get to ambitious with my budgeting for each category?

My housing question is: what do you do when you end up buying a house you can’t afford, or can barely afford? We only moved in a few months ago. I love the place, and right now we’re only living on one salary. Hopefully in 2-3 years my husband will be back in the job force and will be able to contribute. We will have student debt to pay off from his schooling though, and that’ll add to our monthly payments, nulling out some of his income contribution.

I haven’t talked about this until now because I feel ashamed. We fell into the classic trap of living outside of our means and I feel so embarrassed. I’m reaching out to you all for help, which is incredibly appreciated. Thanks for listening and for offering any advice you may have.

Edit: Here is an update on our finances on paper.

Biweekly take home: $3551 (approx $7102/month)

Monthly Payments: Mortgage $2,307 Utilities $681 Memberships $225 Auto Insurance $148 Debt $826 Total: $4,187

BiWeekly Budget Assignments: Food $500 Entertainment $200 Baby $500 (this includes new daycare costs starting in January) Animals $100 House $100 Transportation $200 Total: $1,600/biweekly; $3200/monthly

Total Payments: $7,387/month

I can see where we're going over every month. I think because I budget generally biweekly and there are a few months where I get an extra paycheck, it doesn't come up in the negative. But clearly, we need to cut spending somewhere and we're struggling to do so.

Hope this helps a bit.

$7120/mo, $85k/yr take home, so barely $100k gross.
$7383/mo in expenses
One of them not working.
$2300/mo mortgage, only put 5% down, so they bought a $500k house. On $100k/yr.

Reddit, why didn't this work they way I thought it would?

quote:

decaturbob
Score hidden ·
21 minutes ago

You do the serious analysis before you buy a house.

quote:

ducks-and-croissants
Score hidden ·
6 minutes ago

Yes, I know. I thought we did. Clearly we messed up.

Also:

quote:

breezy727
Score hidden ·
5 minutes ago

OP, did you mean to add your personal information to the bottom of your post? It has your full name, LinkedIn, and phone number... I'd remove it if I were you.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Motronic posted:

quote:

Also: OP, did you mean to add your personal information to the bottom of your post? It has your full name, LinkedIn, and phone number... I'd remove it if I were you.
Oh my God

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It’s complex. You see 21 trillion and that’s a lot, but like’s been said we owe a lot of it to ourselves and a lot that we owe to others is just there as a hedge or place to park money. It’s the world’s safest investment and people will take a small loss in uncertain times just to avoid a large loss. There was a quick minute when it looked like the Euro might be preferable to the Dollar and then Greece happened and now everyone’s loving on the Dollar again.

As for how much to tax. A lot and across all income brackets. We will probably need a new payroll and a higher consumption tax. Ironically the system now is more progressive than it’s been in awhile, although that will change when the lower income tax cuts sunset. We will need to tax rich people at least at 1990’s levels, but you can’t dig yourself out of this sized entitlement hole increasing taxes only on the wealthy.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
$500 every two weeks for groceries is absolutely outrageous for a family of three, moreso when one is a child. They have to be shopping at Whole Foods.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Motronic posted:

Concerned about the house we bought and our overspending. First time finance poster.

$7383/mo in expenses
One of them not working.
$2300/mo mortgage, only put 5% down, so they bought a $500k house. On $100k/yr.

Reddit, why didn't this work they way I thought it would?

You buried the lede

quote:

We were overspending quite a bit in the “entertainment category” so I upped it to $400. Maybe that’s too much, maybe too little. I honestly don’t know. But I lumped many things into that.

We have 6 animals in the house so we spend quite a bit on food & litter. 2 of the cats are leaving soon, so that will cut costs, and we’ve been using coupons and chewy for discounts on litter. That’s also been helping.

For debt and memberships it’s the following:

Debt: $441 Student Loans, $281 Car Loan, $104 paying back Child Birth

Memberships: $102 - Family membership YMCA, $12 Netflix, $11 Google Music, $100 529 for Daughter's education fund, which we may remove until we get a better handle on things

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Their grow op clearing isn’t bringing in enough to justify their $681 utility expense.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

If they figured out how to eat cheaper they could break even. Lots of things they could be doing to tighten their belt just a little. And yeah $681 utilities wtf

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The husband is racking up debt and not working for the next 2-3 years to become a teacher. :(

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what part of the country they live in. It would really effect how extra stupid that 500k house is. That utility budget would make sense if they are in a cheap city like Cleveland and have to heat/cool a stupid 4k+ sqft mcmansion.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Doccykins posted:

You buried the lede

Candles $3,600

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

wilderthanmild posted:

I wonder what part of the country they live in. It would really effect how extra stupid that 500k house is. That utility budget would make sense if they are in a cheap city like Cleveland and have to heat/cool a stupid 4k+ sqft mcmansion.

Yeah that was what I was thinking, enormous house and lovely insulation

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Also I'm kinda surprised they managed to get all the way through the process without anyone telling them how bad of an idea this was. That has to have been right on the edge of the max they could legally borrow.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

wilderthanmild posted:

Also I'm kinda surprised they managed to get all the way through the process without anyone telling them how bad of an idea this was. That has to have been right on the edge of the max they could legally borrow.

Mortgage originators and real estate agents give zero shits beyond making the sale

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of being bad with money: The US national debt. Are there any good unbiased sources that do the math about various social programs, healthcare programs, tax cuts and so on suggested by the various political figures and sides in the US? I'm sitting here in Europe, scared about US debt.

I know this is a little ways back but weirdly, Steve Ballmer started a nonprofit for this last year: https://usafacts.org

It's got some fascinating data. Say what you will about him as a CEO but I thought it was a pretty cool project. Turns out, it's really loving hard to do.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

wilderthanmild posted:

They most likely bought right on the edge of what their borrower would give them, but no one tells people that it's a bad idea to borrow that much, even if the bank says you can afford it. I would never survive if I borrowed what the bank was willing to lend me when I bought my house.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m spending over my budget! I know, I’ll just increase my budget and walla look at that I’m now UNDER budget :smug:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/LunaticPreserve/status/1067481586369626113

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

They most likely bought right on the edge of what their borrower would give them, but no one tells people that it's a bad idea to borrow that much, even if the bank says you can afford it. I would never survive if I borrowed what the bank was willing to lend me when I bought my house.

I remember when I was making around $32k/year and the lender was willing to loan me over $165k for a home, and were pushing a 40-year interest-only loan with a 5-year balloon. The girl had the audacity to tell me that house prices never go down when I asked what happens if the house is worth less than when I paid for it in 5 years.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I must have just been lucky with my LO. I remember she said "So we can lend you up to xxx if you really want, but it would be a bad idea to spend anywhere near that." It might have been that I was already coming in with a budget to spend so it wasn't worth trying to push my numbers up. She did also say that a lot of people seemed offended at the idea they shouldn't spend near the max though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

The next 5 years of car ownership will cost the same, but in one scenario he isn't also going to be paying $500/month in insurance premiums and 8% interest.

Motronic posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a0vzny/concerned_about_the_house_we_bought_and_our/

And that's 0% 401k I would imagine. Certainly $0 IRA.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 27, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Whether or not the lender keeps their own loans makes a difference. No one cared before the Great Recession because a lot mortgages were bundled with AAA ratings and sold off almost immediately. If you’re banking on decades of income from the borrower then you make safer loans. If all you care about are fees then you make big lovely deals that you offload as fast as possible.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Nocheez posted:

I remember when I was making around $32k/year and the lender was willing to loan me over $165k for a home, and were pushing a 40-year interest-only loan with a 5-year balloon. The girl had the audacity to tell me that house prices never go down when I asked what happens if the house is worth less than when I paid for it in 5 years.

You don't have to sell the house after 5 years, just get it refinanced

They'll give you a new higher valuation in order to sell you another mortgage product with more origination fees

No additional money leaves their pocket, it just increases the upside for them if you stay current on your loan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Devor posted:

You don't have to sell the house after 5 years, just get it refinanced

They'll give you a new higher valuation in order to sell you another mortgage product with more origination fees

No additional money leaves their pocket, it just increases the upside for them if you stay current on your loan

This may shock you, but it was 2006 and the housing bubble hadn't burst yet. I would have been turbofucked if I had a 5-year balloon due on an interest-only loan at that point.