Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah licensing is stupid and onerous when it's for things like cosmetology but when it literally means the difference between life or death for some professions, it's a Good Thing as long as it's done properly. Becoming a Professional Engineer that can actually sign off on things is a long process (and the process is imperfect in some ways), but I wouldn't say just eliminate it. Same thing with doctors/surgeons/pharmacists. Even commercial driver's licenses are a good idea as long as they're done correctly.

Dont you really only need a PE license only if you do government (contracting) work? I think I read that somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is it possible to pass the bar without going to law school

Self-study and all that

Former President of the United States Abraham Lincoln would tell you that yes, it is indeed possible.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Grapplejack posted:

Here's a fun trivia bit: the organization that handles funeral service examinations is called The Conference. I don't understand why they picked a name for their group that is so loving ominous, but

Should have named themselves the Death Panel

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/...ingawful.com%2F

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/LisPower1/status/1067497459881033729

This is a good idea, and CNN should extend it to its own pundits as well.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Dont you really only need a PE license only if you do government (contracting) work? I think I read that somewhere

If you're building something that requires permits - say, a building, other structure, etc - you're going to need a PE to put their stamp on the structural plans, probably another one for the HVAC, that kind of thing. Anything that's going to be subject to government oversight, which in practice means just about anything, will need some kind of PE's signoff at some point. That said, there are lots of jobs for mechanical/civil/electrical engineers that don't involve a PE stamp, especially in private industry.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/LisPower1/status/1067497459881033729

This is a good idea, and CNN should extend it to its own pundits as well.

Now all we need to do is get either MSNBC or CNN to give Shucks the MST3K treatment as she stands at the podium.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Highly regulated industries like transport, residences or heavy industry/energy have very stringent requirements on stamped designs, it is why generally an O&G facility does not explode and wipe out a town or why skyscrapers do not collapse very regularly

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Wouldn’t targeting only GM for this kind of stuff be highly illegal?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Wilhelm posted:

Highly regulated industries like transport, residences or heavy industry/energy have very stringent requirements on stamped designs, it is why generally an O&G facility does not explode and wipe out a town or why skyscrapers do not collapse very regularly

Truck driving licensing is legitimate as far as I'm aware, the big problem with truck driving is they don't want to pay drivers enough given how unappealing an occupation it is.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Licensing needs to exist, but we need to make the education necessary to get licenses affordable and doable for all people. I’m not going want to live in a world where some rear end in a top hat can wake up tomorrow morning and decided to be a dentist, then fabricate their history performing oral surgery. That’s some libertarian-style “eggs and omlettes” poo poo where human lives are expendable in the pursuit of perfect competition. :stare:

This poo poo happens in Georgia already and we put a stop to it for a loving reason.

quote:

David Marsh told Channel 2 Action News he needed two teeth pulled and a deep cleaning when he went to County Dental Providers when the office was in Dallas. A few days after Szewczyk did the procedures, Marsh said the pain and swelling became unbearable.

“My neck was like the size of a tennis ball. It was closing in on my throat,” Marsh said. “My wife took me to the ER and they said I had to be rushed to Grady to have emergency surgery. That’s where they cut the abscess, put a tube in through my mouth, through my neck for everything to drain out.”

In the words of a wise person: “miss me with that poo poo”.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Wouldn’t targeting only GM for this kind of stuff be highly illegal?

Illegal? Probs not in its current form

hosed up? Absolutely. That downy sad line = americans losing their jobs, you know, the people the POTUS says he cares about.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Speaking of licenses, everyone should have an FFL03.

Because this machine really did kill fascists.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

the bar remains exactly as classist and restrictive as it was when it first started and the bar as an organization constantly fails in its job as an oversight body.

Bar bad, friend.

Any exam that can be passed by taking a review class for 8 weeks arguably isn’t that good of a skills assessment but is hardly a real barrier to entry. The point is to measure basic competence. Any “better” way of weeding out candidates would be a much more time intensive proposition which probably would hit underprivileged groups even harder.l

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 27, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I don't really think Facebook has gotten either more or less Chuddy but it's hard to say. I've hidden entire sources one by one when I see some MAGA crap pop up, and eventually unfollowed people when it got to the point that they literally never posted original content at all, so there's no way of knowing, really.

I do know that one of those people has begun complaining that Facebook censors conservative content, which is laughable considering how much I still have to put up with. This may become a self-fulfilling prophecy that causes them all to migrate to some other platform, I guess, even though Facebook is basically ground zero for MAGA crap ruining a website.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Now all we need to do is get either MSNBC or CNN to give Shucks the MST3K treatment as she stands at the podium.

Biff, Hardcastle! Slab, Squatthrust! John, Bolton!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kimsemus posted:

In the latter part of the 19th century when immigration was more open in the US, there was no secret as to the way they began legal licensing:

The jews coming from Europe were well educated, literate, and steeped in Talmud argument which is analogous to legal argument, which nativists feared would push american whites out of the profession. Which is why they created the bar exam in the first place, why they mandated law school be three years, mandated you had to go, and mandated you couldn't work full time while in school to try and exclude these people and other *undesirable* groups. The whole scheme is detestable.

This is just flat wrong, Bar exams in the US date back to the mid 18th century and predate the formation of the United States or Jewish immigration. Your comment on not being allowed to work during law school is also flat wrong, full-time students have a restriction of 20 hours, there is no restriction in any state on working while a part time student, of which there are many many programs.

edit: also technically three years of law school isn't mandated by the ABA either, four states allow you to take the bar and be certified with just an apprenticeship.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

TheScott2K posted:

If you're building something that requires permits - say, a building, other structure, etc - you're going to need a PE to put their stamp on the structural plans, probably another one for the HVAC, that kind of thing. Anything that's going to be subject to government oversight, which in practice means just about anything, will need some kind of PE's signoff at some point. That said, there are lots of jobs for mechanical/civil/electrical engineers that don't involve a PE stamp, especially in private industry.

I think thats what I was thinking of, private industry exception (lol)

I'm a chemist, what is licensing

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kimsemus posted:

Illegal? Probs not in its current form

bills of attainder are illegal

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

I have mixed feelings about this kind of retaliation when it's done in response to layoff announcements. I bet it plays well with a lot of voters too.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

Democratic voters have made it clear that they're perfectly willing to elect poo poo tier Democrats like Donnelly in primaries.

a primary election doesn't guarantee your candidate, or the best candidate, will win. it does mean that worrying about republicans who "take advantage of the “blue no matter who” idiots and run as Democrats" either lose their primary, or the candidate you prefer couldn't even win a democratic primary against a republican so he wasn't winning the general. in neither case is the problem the people who understand republicans are a threat to our country and vote for the only credible alternative.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

a primary election doesn't guarantee your candidate, or the best candidate, will win. it does mean that worrying about republicans who "take advantage of the “blue no matter who” idiots and run as Democrats" either lose their primary, or the candidate you prefer couldn't even win a democratic primary against a republican so he wasn't winning the general. in neither case is the problem the people who understand republicans are a threat to our country and vote for the only credible alternative.

I feel like this sentence is doing a lot of work here and should concern you more than it does.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Call_Me_Dutch/status/1067501085173186562

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
anyone who supports manchin is a nazi supporter

Li Zhou
Do you think the Senate needs to respond to the use of tear gas on children at the border?

Joe Manchin
They shouldn’t be bringing their children to the border when they know they can’t get in.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Weeeeeeeelp

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
half this thread is complicit for nazi-tier crimes. retire. ban yourselves.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Anti-licensing lolbertarians love talking about hair braiding and cosmetology but hate talking about Civil Engineering, medicine, and building/contracting. I don't think you're going to find anyone who disagrees that the hair braiding thing is bullshit but they never stop there. It moves on to "and it's too hard to become a lawyer!" and just becomes self-parody. See also: the collected works of Shoshanna Weissman.

Eh, I don't think cosmetology licensing is bullshit. There's a potential to spread parasites or other maladies, so government and society do have an interest in making sure that the people doing business in those fields know how to not spread contagion. Now maybe professions like decorators on the other hand, that is something that shouldn't require a license.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
anyone who defended manchin itt is a pro-rape pro-nazi piece of poo poo

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

anime was right posted:

anyone who supports manchin is a nazi supporter

Li Zhou
Do you think the Senate needs to respond to the use of tear gas on children at the border?

Joe Manchin
They shouldn’t be bringing their children to the border when they know they can’t get in.

Don't worry dawg. DiFi is writing a letter.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Jarmak posted:

This is just flat wrong, Bar exams in the US date back to the mid 18th century and predate the formation of the United States or Jewish immigration. Your comment on not being allowed to work during law school is also flat wrong, full-time students have a restriction of 20 hours, there is no restriction in any state on working while a part time student, of which there are many many programs.

edit: also technically three years of law school isn't mandated by the ABA either, four states allow you to take the bar and be certified with just an apprenticeship.

It’s actually the law schools that are the real problem/barrier to entry.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Didn't this already not happen once recently?

Maybe this one will be real.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Brony Car posted:

I have mixed feelings about this kind of retaliation when it's done in response to layoff announcements. I bet it plays well with a lot of voters too.

It's not going to save my job, so w/e

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ReidRansom posted:

Eh, I don't think cosmetology licensing is bullshit. There's a potential to spread parasites or other maladies, so government and society do have an interest in making sure that the people doing business in those fields know how to not spread contagion. Now maybe professions like decorators on the other hand, that is something that shouldn't require a license.

on the other hand you have unlicensed interior decorators like the goon who cut load bearing beams in his house so he could install a bathtub

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

evilweasel posted:

becoming a lawyer is not all that hard

you don't say

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Kimsemus posted:

Other issue post:

Let's talk about licensing. The Obama Administration did a study where Occupational Licensing only leads to unemployment, is not pro-consumer, and sometimes even runs afoul of the Sherman/Clayton acts.

For instance, up until recently in some states:

1. You had to prove 1500 hours of study to be a cosmetologist. I can understand this if you were a doctor but...spending that amount of time and money for a job that makes $12/hour? I don't know.

2. Optometrists only require licensing because quite literally they bribed a sitting senator to lobby for them when such a thing was legal.

Don't even get me started on the bar exam, which is just a siphon which primarily prevents jews, minorities, and poor people from becoming lawyers and serves virtually no other function.

Where is this going? If we really want to defeat unemployment and reduce barriers to entry, licensing for most professions have to be modified or have to go altogether. This is also the chief barrier from preventing translational job transition: IE turning coal miners into solar energy laborers.

/rant

Ask me about what's required to be a tattoo artist in Denver, Colorado

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

yronic heroism posted:

It’s actually the law schools that are the real problem/barrier to entry.

IMO apprenticeship should be legal in every state for lawyers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

I feel like this sentence is doing a lot of work here and should concern you more than it does.

why? we have assumed for the sake of argument a rebranded republican decided to run in a democratic primary. there are only two things that happen: he wins, or he loses. obviously, i only discuss the situation where he wins because in the situation where he loses Kobayashi is already wrong so why belabor the point.

like yes, if i assume for the sake of argument a bad thing happened, then a bad thing happened, but why would it concern me? i assumed it would happen only for the sake of argument, not because i think it would happen.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

i am harry posted:

More or less onerous than opening a dispensary?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you don't say

it was like falling out of bed for me

or more accurately, staying in bed, i wasn't great at the whole class attendance thing

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i am harry posted:

a tattoo artist seems like they should have some health and safety regulations, and some sort of process to make sure you know what those are, given that you're poking people with needles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

why? we have assumed for the sake of argument a rebranded republican decided to run in a democratic primary. there are only two things that happen: he wins, or he loses. obviously, i only discuss the situation where he wins because in the situation where he loses Kobayashi is already wrong so why belabor the point.

like yes, if i assume for the sake of argument a bad thing happened, then a bad thing happened, but why would it concern me? i assumed it would happen only for the sake of argument, not because i think it would happen.

Well let's not play coy, the Democratic Party is already seeing Republicans flipped to Democrat running and winning primaries and that's not a good thing because it pushes the party right. Most prominently there was that Florida guy in 2016, I think he lost to Rubio?