Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Yeesh. It needs a C-pillar/window thing. The side looks all weird. Like a squished, miniature Lexus RX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I like how it looks but am worried about practicality - the current gen is already kinda squished with poor visibility and a low tailgate opening and this looks like it'll be quite a lot worse in those regards.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Mazda is knocking it out of the park with their interiors.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I.. I don't like that hatch body shape at all :stonk:

It's way too solid in the back. Definitely missing a window back there.

Welp, at least my 08 is still kickin'

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Yeah it looks a bit wonky in the rear, don’t really get it, the sedan looks pretty slick. Maybe the next gen will have the crazy magic motor and look more better?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eww.

I much prefer the 14-18 gen over this abomination. Though I own a '15, so I'm probably biased.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Suburban Dad posted:

old man yelling at clouds here: lowered cars ride like poo poo, the roads are poo poo and flat and boring where you are. Just put in stock replacements. :corsair:

It's been lowered on MS springs (which I believe are just rebranded H&R lowdowns) since I bought it. I need to figure out something though as my new driveway is a continuing curb style rather than a lowered entry. SCRAPE every time I enter or leave.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Wibla posted:

Eww.

I much prefer the 14-18 gen over this abomination. Though I own a '15, so I'm probably biased.

How's the 15 noise wise? I came from dailying a Miata so when I got my 2011 I thought it was fairly quiet but now I drive any other vehicle and realize how loud it is at interstate speed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh my gosh the new 3 looks amazing.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

MotherFUCKER it has AWD

Why couldn't I have waited a goddamn year to drive my old 3 into a guardrail!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

How's the 15 noise wise? I came from dailying a Miata so when I got my 2011 I thought it was fairly quiet but now I drive any other vehicle and realize how loud it is at interstate speed.

It's not super good, though everything is relative... a friend of mine has a slightly older Ford Focus and he mentioned the lack of noise :haw:

I also drive a Miata ('99 10AE RHD) and I use a Bose QC25 headset in that on the highway when I'm headed home from the track.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wibla posted:

It's not super good, though everything is relative... a friend of mine has a slightly older Ford Focus and he mentioned the lack of noise :haw:

I also drive a Miata ('99 10AE RHD) and I use a Bose QC25 headset in that on the highway when I'm headed home from the track.

You wear active noise cancelling headphones while driving? What the gently caress?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You wear active noise cancelling headphones while driving? What the gently caress?

gently caress yeah.

I also check my mirrors and pay attention while driving.

Pro tip: you hear sirens through them just fine.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Previa_fun posted:

I have a 14 and it's noisy as gently caress. Invest in good rubber if you're gonna get one.

We're a few hours away from the official 4th generation reveal. Wondering what the final power numbers will be for the 2.0L SkyactivX trim, probably an assload of torque and I'm assuming more horsepower than the current 2.5L. Not sure how I feel about the exterior shots that have been out out, but that interior is goddamn inspired.

Isn't driving with headphones on or similar devices illegal in some states?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Fabulousity posted:

I have a 14 and it's noisy as gently caress. Invest in good rubber if you're gonna get one.

Same for the 17 with the Dunlop tires. Oh god I can't wait to replace them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Fabulousity posted:

We're a few hours away from the official 4th generation reveal.
It was last night

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The Aardvark posted:

Same for the 17 with the Dunlop tires. Oh god I can't wait to replace them.

I was pretty goddamn stunned when I got my blizzaks put on that they're QUIETER than the Dunlops

What the gently caress how is that possible

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wibla posted:

gently caress yeah.

I also check my mirrors and pay attention while driving.

Pro tip: you hear sirens through them just fine.

Also pro tip: Deaf people can drive just fine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also pro tip: Deaf people can drive just fine.

This is a ridiculous comparison. They’re not intentionally blocking out sound since they don’t have, you know, a choice.

Driving with headphones in is dumb, full stop. It’s even worse when they’re active noise cancelling designed to cancel outside noise.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

Isn't driving with headphones on or similar devices illegal in some states?

Yeah, but not in :norway: - though if you get into an accident and they find you at fault in part because of you not paying attention, it's not going to make things better for you.

This is a ridiculous comparison. They’re not intentionally blocking out sound since they don’t have, you know, a choice.

Driving with headphones in is dumb, full stop. It’s even worse when they’re active noise cancelling designed to cancel outside noise.

The noise cancelling headphones only block out the road noise, and I generally listen to music or podcasts at a relatively low volume. Sirens and other sharp sounds get through the noise cancelling just fine.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

MotherFUCKER it has AWD

Why couldn't I have waited a goddamn year to drive my old 3 into a guardrail!

The 3 has always had an AWD version (as have pretty much all Japanese cars since the 90s). Has it been confirmed they're going to export it this time around?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

How does it make you feel if I tell you I wear earplugs on my motorcycle

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MA-Horus posted:

I was pretty goddamn stunned when I got my blizzaks put on that they're QUIETER than the Dunlops

If you're not spending at least $250 per corner Goodyear (and its subsidiaries) makes terrible tires.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

dissss posted:

The 3 has always had an AWD version (as have pretty much all Japanese cars since the 90s). Has it been confirmed they're going to export it this time around?

Some jumping around on various automotive sites seems to suggest that AWD is coming to the NA market.

- Skyactiv-G will be first available in 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5L setups. North America is getting the 2.5 as the new base engine, auto and manual still available
- 2.0L Skyactiv-X with magical spark controlled HCCI will become "available later in 2019"
- AWD available for North American market, probably as automatic only
- Rear multilink suspension has been replaced with a torsion bar
- New "polymetal grey" color exclusive to the hatchback version
- Red leather interior seen in some pictures is exclusive to the hatchback version

MA-Horus posted:

Dunlop uses pop-its and the shattered dreams of orphaned puppies instead of carbon black in the tread compound of the Sport 5000.

Turns out Bridgestone does something similar for the RE980AS because they aren't much quieter. :(

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

dissss posted:

The 3 has never had a North American AWD version. I believe the last compact car with AWD Mazda made for north america was the Turbo 323. Neither Gen 1/2 Proteges or Gen 1/2/3 Mazda 3 had it. Mazdaspeed6 had it but Mazdaspeed3 did not.

This will be a helluva competitor for Subaru up here in Canada.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

opengl128 posted:

How does it make you feel if I tell you I wear earplugs on my motorcycle

Unsubscribe

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Fabulousity posted:

- Skyactiv-G will be first available in 1.5, 2.0, and 2.5L setups. North America is getting the 2.5 as the new base engine, auto and manual still available
- 2.0L Skyactiv-X with magical spark controlled HCCI will become "available later in 2019"
- AWD available for North American market, probably as automatic only
- Rear multilink suspension has been replaced with a torsion bar
- New "polymetal grey" color exclusive to the hatchback version
- Red leather interior seen in some pictures is exclusive to the hatchback version

I was good until this point. :( But Mazda will probably work some wizardry to make it suck less maybe.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MA-Horus posted:

The 3 has never had a North American AWD version. I believe the last compact car with AWD Mazda made for north america was the Turbo 323. Neither Gen 1/2 Proteges or Gen 1/2/3 Mazda 3 had it. Mazdaspeed6 had it but Mazdaspeed3 did not.

Actually there was a 1990/91 AWD Protege. Cool but glass transmissions, I guess. Don't know if there are any left.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
With that said, if there is a more mainstream available AWD 3 out
And there is a turbo CX-5 GT-R

Anybody see where I'm going with this?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Charles posted:

With that said, if there is a more mainstream available AWD 3 out
And there is a turbo CX-5 GT-R

Anybody see where I'm going with this?

If you're suggesting what I think you are: I thought the filthy torque steer that could reverse the spin of the Earth if not handled properly was part of charm of the first one. Wouldn't AWD lose that?

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 28, 2018

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Sure, my point is has AWD for export been confirmed by Mazda, or is it just some auto sites looking at the Japanese models and making a guess.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Fabulousity posted:

If you're suggesting what I think you are: I thought the filthy torque steer that could reverse the spin of the Earth if not handled properly was part of charm of the first one. Wouldn't AWD lose that?

Sometimes I want to floor the gas pedal and fight my car. AWD just seems kind of boring.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

I lost one of the bolts of the 3 that hold in the front strut to the body. I'll retrieve it but meanwhile does anybody know if #11 here is the right one? Is #12 supposed to be a washer?
https://www.onlinemazdaparts.com/a/Mazda_2006_3-S-Hatchback-23L-MT/_51506_5973866/SUSPENSION-COMPONENTS/5417370.html

I can't get the strut loose out the bottom. I think I will just have a shop do it. :[

It was 9YA0-10-807A, which came with the washer.

Fabulousity posted:

No way. Way too new & reliable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Familia#Familia_GTX,_GTR_and_GT-Ae

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
loving Mazda.

So the MS3 I recently acquired came with a set of HID headlights, but of course there's a big catch.

My brother initially bought a set of salvage HID housings hoping he could just plug & play them, but it turned out Mazda had two separate headlight designs for the sedan and hatch versions of the 3 (he got the sedan variety.) So he bought a pair of Depo OE-spec HID housings, which are pretty much just the optics and some of the internal wiring - I need to swap the ballast to igniter harnesses (which are hard-wired to the igniters) but Mazda (or whoever built the headlights) routed the cable in such a way that it cannot be removed or correctly reinstalled without cracking open the housings.

So now I get to open two sets of headlights :smithicide:

e: fortunately HIDs are long-lived, I'd hazard a guess the new set of 5500K D2S bulbs going in will outlive the rest of the car.
VV

Geoj fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 30, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Don't forget that with HIDs you have to rip a bunch of poo poo out to just change a bulb!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm assuming you don't have the headlight leveling dial in the cabin, I wonder what happens without it.

I never touched mine, it was really only there so you could dip the low beams if you have a ton of cargo in the back of the car making them point higher than normal.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Going from my '95 240sx to the '09 MS3, the HIDs were an amazing improvement in nighttime driving. However, a few months ago I had to travel for work and rented a Subaru Legacy with steerable headlights-- and I realized just how lovely my MS3's headlights are.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

:barf: https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mazda-3-hatchs-rear-visibility-is-precisely-as-1830754940 :barf:

The 4th gen Mazda3 is gonna become the scourge of lane changes and parking lots everywhere.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

opengl128 posted:

I'm assuming you don't have the headlight leveling dial in the cabin, I wonder what happens without it.

Absolutely nothing.

The motors that level the headlight are strapped to the back of the housings and connect with a simple harness. Without the dial they're basically fixed-aim headlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MetaJew posted:

Going from my '95 240sx to the '09 MS3, the HIDs were an amazing improvement in nighttime driving. However, a few months ago I had to travel for work and rented a Subaru Legacy with steerable headlights-- and I realized just how lovely my MS3's headlights are.

The steerable HIDs in the '15 are loving amazing.