Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

everytime someone posts a twitter link, the tweet is deleted before I can read it :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rigel posted:

well, except they have to pass something during the lame duck to avoid a shutdown and the GOP might also need flake's vote for judges.

as far as i know, it is not attached to the omnibus spending bill, which is like the only way you could force them to actually vote for it

they can get flake's vote by just putting the separate bill up for a vote in the senate and letting it die in the house

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Rigel posted:

Looks like we may have another PR statehood vote soon. The house GOP agreed to a very simple yes/no one-question vote on statehood so that all opponents (independence, status quo, that "free association" bullshit, something else) can all come together to vote no if they don't want statehood rather than boycotting the vote. I presume they are confident that the vote would fail because things could get awkward if PR unambiguously supported statehood with a high turnout.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1067541837102108672

The GOP must have some strong polling info to agree to that (or anything else)

but oh god if the GOP just pulled their own Brexit vote debacle, I will laugh my rear end off

predicto fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 27, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Raju seriously hosed up the quote and is now trying to pretend he didn't. Schumer and the Dem position was zero increase on the already funded, general general line item in the budget for $1.6 billion.

Note that PR politics is weird, inept, and corrupt in the way of "island politics" the world over (even if not as bad as in other places). Party positions there don't map onto conventional Liberal/Conservative Republican/Democrat positions. The governor is from the pro-statehood party and is registered as a Democrat, and his main PR legislative ally is a Republican. I have no idea what would occur in a statehood vote, but the last statehood vote was certain enough to be pro-statehood that the status quo party staged a boycott. Generally, expect a lot of shenanigans.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 28, 2018

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Discendo Vox posted:

Raju seriously hosed up the quote and is now trying to pretend he didn't. Schumer and the Dem position was zero increase on the already funded, general general line item in the budget for $1.6 billion.

Note that PR politics is weird, inept, and corrupt in the way of "island politics" the world over (even if not as bad as in other places). Party positions there don't map onto conventional Liberal/Conservative Republican/Democrat positions. The governor is from the pro-statehood party and is registered as a Democrat, and his main PR legislative ally is a Republican. I have no idea what would occur in a statehood vote, but the last statehood vote was certain enough to be pro-statehood that the status quo party staged a boycott. Generally, expect a lot of shenanigans.

Do we know when the vote would be?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SimonCat posted:

Do we know when the vote would be?

Not to my knowledge; I believe this was an agreement in principle situation. The coverage of the ballot language makes me nervous; it looks like they're going to go straight up-and-down and overspecify statehood to try to cram the no vote.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Deteriorata posted:

Nah, the wall is a useful bargaining chip. It would takes years to design and build, long after Trump is gone from office. Funding can be cut and the project canned at any point in the future.

If dangling some funding for it in front of him now gets him to support and sign some genuinely useful bills, it's worth it. Trump's weakness is he ego.

No, racist bullshit like the wall is a hill you should be willing to die on to oppose. Conceding that there is any basis for building that loving thing will make your population more racist in general.

New Labour tried your way, result is Brexit.
https://twitter.com/BloomfieldSJ/status/1066774213376258048

Ornedan fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 28, 2018

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

...I still get the tax break right? I was going to buy a Volt at the end of winter

I doubt he means it or has any power to do anything about it since it was passed as an act of congress. Either way, the tax break is set to expire after GM sells 200,000 EVs across its various marques, a point that Tesla may have already hit through its Model 3 pre-orders.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/fuelefficient/sc-auto-tips-0419-federal-ev-tax-credit-cut-20180413-story.html

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
From the 538 live blog

Is it possible?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/mississippi-senate-runoff-election-results/

quote:

Nate Silver8:40 PM

I think yfall are being too cautious on telling everyone to be cautious; these numbers are pretty bad for Hyde-Smith so far and theyfre coming from different parts of the state. Yeah, shefs still the favorite, but Espyfs odds have gone up versus where we were at the start of the night.

øb
Nathaniel Rakich8:39 PM

CNN has early results from Leflore County, a 69-31 Democratic county in the first round. Espy is leading there 89 percent to 11 percent.

øbøc
Perry Bacon Jr.8:39 PM

One thing Espy has going for him: He really campaigned as a moderate. He said that he would have voted for last yearfs tax bill, which basically every Democrat on the Hill opposed and he is probably ideologically to the right of Doug Jones. He has not made strong comments on racial issues like Gillum did in Floridafs gubernatorial race. Now, does being black translate as liberal for voters no matter what you say, particularly in Mississippi? Maybe. But he has positioned himself well I think to get some moderate Republicans and independents to back him.

Nate Silver8:36 PM

Now wefve got votes in from Warren Co. in southwest Mississippi and they show Espy at 57 percent, as compared with 48 percent on Election Day. Itfs not a ton of the vote, but so far these numbers arenft bad for him.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Stop getting my hopes up Nate!

quote:

Nathaniel Rakich8:46 PM

This is HIGHLY speculative, but it is interesting how the major GOP vote centers in Mississippi are urban/suburban areas like Rankin, DeSoto and Harrison counties. Those are exactly the kinds of places we saw defect to Democrats earlier this month. (Although, importantly, not in Mississippi.)

€\€]
Geoffrey Skelley8:45 PM

About 25 percent of DeSoto County¡¯s precincts have reported, and Hyde-Smith only leads by six points there. In the first found of voting, the combined GOP vote led by 30 points. This is notable because DeSoto ¡ª part of the Memphis area ¡ª provided 5.3 percent of the total vote on Nov. 6, trailing only Hinds (8.4 percent) and Rankin (5.5 percent) in the Jackson area, and Harrison (5.4 percent) in Gulfport-Biloxi along the Gulf Coast. However, unlike some states, Mississippi does not have a handful of counties that provide a super-sized portion of the vote.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1067596780051808257

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Like... I know that's going to be a difficult case to make due to the circumstances, but this is conspiracy to obstruct justice, right? "Here's what I told investigators, here's what they think, let's keep our story straight"?

Could explain why Mueller is willing to cut Manafort loose even without unimpeachable evidence, I guess.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tibalt posted:

Like... I know that's going to be a difficult case to make due to the circumstances, but this is conspiracy to obstruct justice, right? "Here's what I told investigators, here's what they think, let's keep our story straight"?

Could explain why Mueller is willing to cut Manafort loose even without unimpeachable evidence, I guess.

Just last night I was very dismissive of Marcy Wheeler's "Mueller knew that Manafort was communicating with Trump the entire time, and probably planned accordingly" theory and 24 hours later it's all-but confirmed.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/SalHernandez/status/1067618087610941440

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1067623816921272325

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I remember Bundy very distinctly thinking well of Latin American migrants because he personally hired and interacted with a bunch of them. Like most conservatives, they empathize only when they have personal experience in an issue.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

The really amazing thing about Trump is that you never stop thinking "Our President is so loving stupid". Like, you keep thinking at some point, you'll just get used to it, but nope, there it is, good god, he's SO loving STUPID.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/flglmn/status/1067612358237978624

Stupid?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Could we get a new thread title? "Oceans are very small" is too good to pass up.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

eke out posted:

looks like corsi is now outright giving reporters the sample documents drafted during negotiations with Mueller

https://twitter.com/justinjm1/status/1067529889136427009

I don't get what the defense strategy for this is (besides rank stupidity or hopelessness). I guess there is nothing in the emails about Stone, Corsi, Malloch or any other Trump affiliate directly ordering the Russians to hack the DNC or whatever. So they are going to go with "we just wanted the sweep scoop to dunk on Hilary?" Corsi deleted emails that Mueller now has, so he clearly didn't want anyone to find them. Why? I guess it is pretty obvious he is stupid.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Could we get a new thread title? "Oceans are very small" is too good to pass up.

And yet they are huge when it meant traversing them to help Puerto Rico after the hurricane.

Speaking of PR, Im almost afraid to ask but how has the recovery come along? The news really didnt cover it much even when it was happening let alone now. :(

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Furnaceface posted:

And yet they are huge when it meant traversing them to help Puerto Rico after the hurricane.

Speaking of PR, Im almost afraid to ask but how has the recovery come along? The news really didnt cover it much even when it was happening let alone now. :(

Can't be going too well if the Senate GOP thinks it's safe to put a State/No State vote on the table.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

Can't be going too well if the Senate GOP thinks it's safe to put a State/No State vote on the table.

That's just them being incompetent.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Furnaceface posted:

That's because unlike the big water Atlantic, the Pacific is famous for being very small.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Furnaceface posted:

More people died from Maria than from 9/11. Imagine if Manhattan had been ignored and ridiculed after the attack and you'll have a good picture of what Puerto Rico has had to manage.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Climate change isn't real. And if it is, it's not made made. And if it is, it's the Chinese and Russians doing it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My understanding from news reports and discussions with work colleagues is that San Juan is mostly OK but the rural areas are still hosed.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

I don't...understand this logic.

Doesn't he have poo poo to do as President? Like, he really solved everything and now gets to be petty to the woman in charge of a county?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hastings posted:

I don't...understand this logic.

Doesn't he have poo poo to do as President? Like, he really solved everything and now gets to be petty to the woman in charge of a county?

"Executive Time"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Sanguinia posted:

The thing is that, pre-Trump, the Republicans tended to be more supportive of statehood than the Democrats, and the PNP (the Puerto Rican pro statehood party) tends to be the more right wing party.

Ignoring for a minute the scope of the human tragedy the hurricane and the government's terrible response caused, it was just tremendously self defeating for Trump.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Hastings posted:

Doesn't he have poo poo to do as President?

Yes.

That doesn't mean he actually does any of it.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1067814491403010055

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1067809037167878144

https://twitter.com/mcclure111/status/1067827604772786176

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 28, 2018

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/1067843044802813953
https://twitter.com/amandawgolden/status/1067841274789732352?s=20

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

shoutout to Tim Scott for finally stomping down his conscience and supporting the racist

(farr isn't confirmed yet so theoretically he could still vote no, though surely he won;t)

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/1067851415069093889

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 28, 2018

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Who is Graham trying to appeal to at this point? His Cavanaugh stunt burned a poo poo ton of bridges for chud cred, and now hes burning the chud cred

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

Who is Graham trying to appeal to at this point? His Cavanaugh stunt burned a poo poo ton of bridges for chud cred, and now hes burning the chud cred

Didn't he just vote Yes for a cloture vote on Judge Farr?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sanguinia posted:

https://twitter.com/zpleat/status/1067852024119812098

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sanguinia posted:

He's replacing John McCain as the "maverick warhawk" for the Sunday talk show crowd.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1067825451136102400

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Sanguinia posted:

Graham was friends with McCain and learned to VERY CONCERNED at the feet of the master. At best it'd be an excuse to grandstand against the 'Deep State"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo