Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
What about Hanson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hanson was the 3rd elected in Queensland, so she also gets a full term.

The Greens have issues this election, because only RDN, Whish-Wilson, and Ludlam (handed over to Siewert) earned full term seats, the rest of the party room is up for re-election and they're already having to fight uphill against the quotas

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 28, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Is Bernardi up for re-election in May? Would he still have the support to get in again now that he isn't a Liberal?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Members_of_the_Australian_Senate,_2016%E2%80%932019

There's a handy dandy sortable chart with terms.

In summation the following:
-All Territory senators, they're a one term thing.
-Fraser "I fought Pauline, and I turbolost" Anning
-Lucy "sure I'm an immigrant, but gently caress brown people who aren't evangelical" Gichuchi
-Lionhelm
-The dude who replaced that one member of the Xenophon team
-what's left of One Nation not named Pauline hanson
-Derryn "Parliamentary Privilege for Pedophiles" Hynch
-The dude who stole Jackie Lambie's senate seat
-All but three of the greens (RDN, PWW and the person who got Scott Ludlam's spot)
-and a bunch of "who gives a poo poo" Labor and Liberal members
all have to stand for re-election.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 28, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Aww yess lionhat is up.

There's a lot of lovely crossbench turncoats on there for Labor to sweep out, even if the Liberals will still hold a decent chunk due to 6 year terms.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

I'm starting to wonder when it gets to the point where using violence to remove whatever entity that is obstructing our ability to correct the trend becomes the responsible thing for Millennial parents to do.

Probably about 20 years ago.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Don Dongington posted:

Aww yess lionhat is up.

There's a lot of lovely crossbench turncoats on there for Labor to sweep out, even if the Liberals will still hold a decent chunk due to 6 year terms.

Lionhat, Brian Burston, and Faruqi are all fighting each other and the third place for Labor and the Libs for the last two seats in NSW, given the first four are going two a piece to Labor and the Libs.

Rhiannon got just short of a quota (332/345) last election, but with the quota returning to around 700k in May, the Greens are a strong chance to lose that seat - 340/635 was not good enough in 2013

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Looks like Lionhat and Anning will be gone... Hasn't O'Sullivan been told not to run again?

So that's all three of the shithead misogynist clown show gone.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Anning and O'Sullivan will be gone, but don't count Lionhat and his preference deals out just yet.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
With logos on the senate paper now, he'll probably have a much harder time.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Isn't gtv gone federally?

Lionhat should only win if the aec puts him ahead of the liberals on the ticket. Even then, with OTL preferences that mistake is less likely to happen.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

Isn't gtv gone federally?

gtv?

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Group ticket voting, a number above the line.
It means you gotta number what was below the line now?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Ora Tzo posted:

Group ticket voting, a number above the line.
It means you gotta number what was below the line now?

You can vote above the line, but you have to number 1 to 6.
If you vote below you've gotta put in 1-12.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Parties should never have been in a position to control preferences to other parties

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I live for drama

quote:

Coalition angst as Turnbull plays invisible hand

Malcolm Turnbull has been in ­regular contact with Kerryn Phelps and one of his staff members helped the independent MP, who played a key role in counselling Julia Banks before her shock defection from the Liberal Party.

The Australian can reveal the former prime minister has been messaging Dr Phelps, the independent who claimed his seat of Wentworth, and a former electorate office staffer worked for his successor for three days as part of a “handover”.

Former Coalition colleagues last night expressed ongoing concern over the support Mr Turnbull has given Dr Phelps, after he was unwilling to provide public backing to Liberal candidate Dave Sharma during the Wentworth by-election campaign.

It also emerged yesterday that Ms Banks, a friend and supporter of the former prime minister, consulted with Dr Phelps for weeks before abandoning Scott Morrison’s government.

A senior Liberal source said they believed that Mr Turnbull was advising Dr Phelps on strategy and that “his hands are all over the Julia Banks” resignation.

“He is consumed by bringing down the government,” the Liberal source said.

A Liberal MP last night questioned whether Mr Turnbull had assisted Dr Phelps to help “win the seat against the Liberal Party and a candidate whose preselection he had endorsed”. Another said the contact between Dr Phelps and Mr Turnbull “speaks for itself and confirms everybody’s suspicions”, adding that “there are suspicions he is in contact with others”.

Approached by The Australian at a crossbench Christmas party last night, Ms Banks declined to comment on whether Mr Turnbull had been in contact with her, or whether she sought his advice ­before defecting from the Liberal Party, plunging the Coalition further into minority government.

The Australian understands Ms Banks consulted the three female independent MPs — Cathy McGowan, Rebekha Sharkie and Dr Phelps — in the weeks leading up to her resignation.

Julie Bishop, who yesterday confirmed her intention to recontest her seat of Curtin at next year’s election, also attended the crossbench function, posing for photographs with Bill Shorten, Ms Banks, Dr Phelps and Ms Sharkie.

Ms Bishop, who yesterday refused to say if Peter Dutton’s eligibility to sit in parliament should be tested, has continued to leave open the possibility of another leadership tilt.

Adding to the party’s woes, NSW Liberal MP Craig Kelly last night would not rule out a move to the crossbench if he lost the preselection contest for his seat of ­Hughes and confirmed he was being urged to immediately resign as a Liberal MP.

Ms Bishop, who this week called on the ­Coalition to revive Mr Turnbull’s national energy guarantee, which Mr Morrison has declared “dead”, said she found out about Ms Banks’ resignation after the Chisholm MP made her statement in parliament.

Ms Banks, a close ally of Mr Turnbull and Ms Bishop, did not inform Mr Morrison ahead of her decision to quit the party.

Dr Phelps’s office, which ­includes former Labor adviser Darrin Barnett, said yesterday Mr Turnbull had been in text message contact with his successor. The Australian has been told Mr Turnbull has messaged Dr Phelps as many as four or five times a day since she was elected and that he had offered her advice.

Mr Barnett said Mr Turnbull’s messages were about protecting the interests of his former constituents, including sporting clubs and the like.

“She has been in touch with him, but certainly not several times a day; not daily and it’s been almost exclusively about constituency matters,” Mr Barnett told The Australian.

“He just wanted a smooth transition for his EO (electorate office).”

Mr Barnett said one staff member stayed on for “three to four days” to help with the transition. Dr Phelps took over Mr Turnbull’s electorate office.

Dr Phelps won Wentworth after Mr Turnbull’s retirement from parliament by 1860 votes. Many believe the deciding factor was a refusal by Mr Turnbull to pen a message of support on letterhead or social media for Mr Sharma, despite requests from Mr Morrison to do so. Mr Sharma is being encouraged by Liberal powerbrokers to run again for the seat at the next federal election.

Dr Phelps hired Mr Barnett, a former staffer to Julia Gillard and a Labor campaign operative, as her by-election campaign spokesman. He is now on Dr Phelps’s permanent staff.

Mr Turnbull’s son Alex broadcast a message on social media before the Wentworth poll urging a vote for anyone except the Liberals.

Mr Turnbull, who was approached for comment about his communication with Dr Phelps and allegations he had a role in Ms Banks’ resignation, last night defended his moderate allies, saying they played no hand in blowing up his “centrist government”.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...80369137bcb8d0a

https://twitter.com/TurnbullMalcolm/status/1067862504032763905

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Didn’t Hassan Khalif Shire Ali believe invisible people were hounding him too? Should probably lock up the coalition party room and conservative commentariat for public safety

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Accelerating $10 billion of income tax cuts for up to 12 million Australians is an option being considered by the Morrison government, as it looks to sharpen the Coalition’s pitch to aspirational voters after months of chaos and disunity.

The tax cuts, worth up to $1350 or $25 a week for median to high income earners, would wedge Labor into matching or bettering the government’s proposal earlier than expected in a move that would affect 94 per cent of taxpayers.

How the gently caress can you cut this much tax and still claim a budget surplus next year.

It baffles me. Voodoo economics.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Increased revenue through higher earnings.

ANY DAY NOW

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Get back into surplus by just shutting down government and all it's services

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

'gently caress off we don't want you as PM despite bending over for our faction.... Can you please help us in the election?.... Oh and some party donations would be nice'

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I picture Turnbull in his NY office listening to the Westworld soundtrack at max volume while dancing around, merrily flipping switches and punching buttons that make things in the government explode.

JBP fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 28, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I would watch a movie where Anthony Hopkins plays Turnbull

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bell jar posted:

I would watch a movie where Anthony Hopkins plays Turnbull

It's basically what you're watching right now. Great gaslighting efforts as well.

Nay tis not me! Perhaps you have lost your minds!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The Invisible Hand of the Free Malcolm.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

The framing of "Liberal defector parites as volunteers feel betrayed" right under Julie Bishop laughing with Shorten sure is something.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Goffer posted:

The framing of "Liberal defector parites as volunteers feel betrayed" right under Julie Bishop laughing with Shorten sure is something.

Bill probably made a deal with her to make her GG

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Malcolm is far more effectual post-politics than he ever was as leader of his party and prime minister of this country.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Knobb Manwich posted:

The Invisible Hand of the Free Malcolm.

mods, name, etc

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Lion helm said he’s going to quit parliament to run in the NSW state election so he obviously doesn’t fancy his re-election chances

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

They're like a basket case psych patient.

lmao quite a zinger from a chicken mass murderer (?)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Anning and O'Sullivan will be gone, but don't count Lionhat and his preference deals out just yet.

Leyonhjelm’s taking a swing at NSW upper house IIRC

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

BBJoey posted:

Leyonhjelm’s taking a swing at NSW upper house IIRC

Haha fuckin sucked in NSW.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Could you imagine this happening in any other business - the person who is leaving does 0 handover and just says "good luck with all this poo poo" because the person who is replacing them doesn't play for the right team.

Everything mentioned in that article sounds like "I've been member for Wentworth for twenty loving years, here's some info you might need to actually look after the electorate effectively" which is just :aaa: betrayal

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Cat Hat will almost certainly get into the NSW Upper House based on how many votes he got in 2016

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Cat Hat will almost certainly get into the NSW Upper House based on how many votes he got in 2016

Keenly interested to see how much pictures on the ballot will help since most Australians cannot read

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
QLD continues to burn. But less bad today.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

Accelerating $10 billion of income tax cuts for up to 12 million Australians is an option being considered by the Morrison government, as it looks to sharpen the Coalition’s pitch to aspirational voters after months of chaos and disunity.

The tax cuts, worth up to $1350 or $25 a week for median to high income earners, would wedge Labor into matching or bettering the government’s proposal earlier than expected in a move that would affect 94 per cent of taxpayers.

How the gently caress can you cut this much tax and still claim a budget surplus next year.

It baffles me. Voodoo economics.

Given the election will happen within a few months they don't need to actually deliver a surplus next year, they just have to claim they are going to.

AgentF posted:

Malcolm is far more effectual post-politics than he ever was as leader of his party and prime minister of this country.

We should be glad, if he had talked like this while PM he might still be in the job and have high popularity.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
So Craig Kelly is quitting because the liberal party is too moderate for him and Julia Banks is quitting because the liberal party is too conservative for her?

This split rules.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Has he quit yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Has there been any broad coverage of the preselection battles that seem to be going on? I had no idea that moderates were in a position to push out incumbent conservatives.