Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The only actively unpleasant part of BotW I've encountered so far was this motion control marble puzzle near the beginning - I almost checked out of it but managed it after a couple dozen tries.

I was actually kind of excited to see it when I first came across it because I'm a new Switch owner and the motion has been pretty responsive so far, and honestly it was almost tolerable were it not for the little flip you had to do to get the ball on the platform at the end. The end stretch of that puzzle really should have been an enclosed tube on a downward slope that you can't gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kazil posted:

Have you two considered that if you don't like the map, the mechanics, and everything else, that maybe the game just isn't for you?

Isnt this the thread for that? Especially when Ive enjoyed other open world games but the various issues in Zelda wore me down?

Like whoever thought there should be 120 shrines instead of 30 or that treasure chests with actual valuables in them should look identical to and never distinguished from treasure chests with another boring weapon inside. That stamina exists at all. That cooking cant be automated or that ”hearty" food invalidates all other healing. That enemy variety is weak. That improvements to world navigation is tied to equipment resulting in menuing for no reason. That combat is shallow yet has its flow constantly interrupted. Anything to do with motion controls*

*They will not work for me ever, please do not make them mandatory if you have perfectly good buttons and sticks going unused. Come on Mario, youre better than this

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

kazil posted:

Have you two considered that if you don't like the map, the mechanics, and everything else, that maybe the game just isn't for you?

Have you considered this is the things dragging the game down thread where you come to complain about parts of a game?

They have this giant open gameworld where you have all the mobility but for what? Korok seeds the game mocks you for collecting and shrines which are actually cool.

The only shrine I've had issues with are any that involve wiggle controls because I hate wiggle controls.

I don't quite get why you guys are acting like I'm personally attacking you in the things dragging a game down thread.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's not that you're complaining, it's that you're not making sense.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Barudak posted:

Isnt this the thread for that? Especially when Ive enjoyed other open world games but the various issues in Zelda wore me down?

Len posted:

Have you considered this is the things dragging the game down thread where you come to complain about parts of a game?

Games can be enjoyable experiences with certain aspects being less than enjoyable. That's great, I read this thread for posts like that.

If every part of the game is not enjoyable to you then why the gently caress would you continue to play it, my dudes?

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, it more or less sounds like you either don't enjoy anything about the game, or actively choose to avoid engaging with parts of the game. We don't have a problem with the dislike, we just can't understand the logic or sentiment behind it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vic posted:

It's not that you're complaining, it's that you're not making sense.

How so?

Weapon durability is a bad mechanic in any game

The incredibly limited inventory is bad but can be fixed by finding korok seeds

Korok seeds just feel like busy work to do. Lift a rock, burn the leaves, pick up block, jump in the ring of flowers

Shrines are cool enough. Nice little puzzle rooms everywhere (although I never heard anyone complement skyrims dungeons dotting the landscape only complaints)
Climbing and gliding is fun but so far there hasn't been much reason to do either. Maybe that changes.

As far as I can tell you can't skip forward in time if it's raining which was cool when that tailing missing in kakariko decided loading a save makes it reset.

Maybe you were the kind of guy who actually travelled through the AssCreed 1 world map so maybe empty terrain with unmarked collectables is your cup of tea but it is absolutely not mine. I understand this is set 100 years after a cataclysm but things just feel dead.

Edit: Why am I playing it still? Because I want to play my new Switch and it's either this or Mario Kart. Plus maybe it will pick up. I keep being told "oh the world opens up and you'll get lots of side quests" so maybe once I decide to stop exploring and go to one of the flashing dots it'll pick up?

Also it is definitely improved on a switch because I'm not looking at the perfect inventory screen but being told "hey look at the tv. Nothing to see here" seriously they gave Link a WiiU tablet then did nothing with it.

Len has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Nov 29, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
We get your schick, you can stop now.

also campfires let you skip time but :shrug: I don't loving care at this point, just stop and let the thread move on, other people have already told you this

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Queen Combat posted:

We get your schick, you can stop now.

also campfires let you skip time but :shrug: I don't loving care at this point, just stop and let the thread move on, other people have already told you this

Yes they do. But it's raining there was no fire. Admittedly I didn't actually interact with it so maybe it would have let me rest still? Instead I hosed off to explore elsewhere because that guy was gonna wreck me again and the shrine wasn't worth it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The 100 years after cataclysm was awesome until I started encountering the main questline NPCs who are all 100+ years old so at a certain point it feelt like everyone is lying to you and the apocalypse was yesterday.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Len posted:

Yes they do. But it's raining there was no fire. Admittedly I didn't actually interact with it so maybe it would have let me rest still? Instead I hosed off to explore elsewhere because that guy was gonna wreck me again and the shrine wasn't worth it

You can make your own campfire by dropping a bundle of wood and striking it with a flint with metal weapon. This is only one of the many ways you can light a fire anywhere. The main quest you have in your log points you to the next village, Hateno, where you can upgrade your sheikah slate that'll allow you to track any existing in game entity (food, ore, enemies, weapons, anything) in your vicinity like you do with shrines currently. All this could can be found out by playing the game.

Hope that helps duder.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vic posted:

You can make your own campfire by dropping a bundle of wood and striking it with a flint with metal weapon. This is only one of the many ways you can light a fire anywhere. The main quest you have in your log points you to the next village, Hateno, where you can upgrade your sheikah slate that'll allow you to track any existing in game entity (food, ore, enemies, weapons, anything) in your vicinity like you do with shrines currently. All this could can be found out by playing the game.

Hope that helps duder.

Serious question can a fire be lit in the rain? Literally the only time I've considered it was during the rain so I could skip to 10pm the next night.

And yeah I've been taking pictures of things to add to the book so I can track stuff.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Medal of Honour Rising Sun: The Singapore level is broken and somewhat unfinished.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

And valve gets a cut of every trade. It’s kind of amazing how many different ways valve has found to maximize their money:effort ratio.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Len posted:

Serious question can a fire be lit in the rain? Literally the only time I've considered it was during the rain so I could skip to 10pm the next night.
Yes but not in the open. You gotta find a place sheltered from the rain.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vic posted:

Hope that helps duder.

You need to be under an overhang or rain puts out the fire. If you are say, halfway up a mountain the solution then becomes "go back down and find an overhang and light a fire then climb back up". Realism is stupid.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vic posted:

Yes but not in the open. You gotta find a place sheltered from the rain.

Which is why I hosed off to do something else instead. I just played golf in a shrine which was rad

Can we all at least agree my lack of pet dog button is a gigantic oversight?

Len has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Nov 29, 2018

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Serious question: is there any beneficial effect to rain in that game that I'm forgetting? The only effects I can remember are making me stop to swap out metal items so I don't get blasted by lightning, and making me waste time until I can climb stuff again.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The benefit to rain is dropping orbital strikes on enemies by throwing your metal weapons at them.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm finally getting around to trying octopath traveler since i got my switch back from nintendo last week and man, as much as i'm enjoying the gameplay systems however much poo poo they got on the internet for the story stuff wasn't nearly enough

i'm gonna keep playing octopath but beyond it i think i'm done giving this studio a chance. in a way great games massively dragged down by experimentation is way more aggravating than just okay-ish but bland games

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

also your first party member being locked into your team until you beat their chapter 4 is so drat stupid. it means they get way higher level than anyone else and it interferes doing the very obvious idea of having an A team and a B team

and because of character overlap it makes some characters feel real superfluous. sorry olberic but i've gotta have haanit in my team at all times so bringing you outside of when you're mandatory just feels like a waste of a party slot

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Leal posted:

The benefit to rain is dropping orbital strikes on enemies by throwing your metal weapons at them.

See, I don't have the imagination to do cool stuff like that. Give me a boss tutorial that explains in excruciating detail how to kill it with an orbital strike, and I'm on board.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If you don’t like BoTW or don’t appreciate what they did to improve classic open world mechanics I pity you

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
I think Len just prefers to play games he doesn't like, so I'm not even bothering with BOTW-chat.

Cythereal posted:

I think it's just a symptom of my fundamental issue with that game, though: I like the character I am playing as to be the protagonist of the story, and in FF14 your PC is decidedly not the protagonist. The game joking about hee hee the WoL is an MMO protagonist and so has few ways of interacting with the world beyond violence was a joke that got old rather quickly, even TOR did a better job about disguising how railroaded the plot is and how little choice you have to say in the matter.

I feel like the story of A Realm Reborn is the story your character is the protagonist of, but everything after it is your character as a guest in somebody else's story. Post-ARR patch content is Alphinaud as the protagonist, Heavensward that role is shared by Aymeric, Estinien and Ysayle (Alphinaud's around but is more of a support role), Stormblood it's Lyse or Yugiri and Hien depending on what region you're in. Post-Stormblood is all over the place and doesn't really have any singular lead, it's just sort of 'things happening to people', for better or worse.

It's a bit of a double-edged sword, because while there's not much else they can do with the WoL as a protagonist, they are sort of hoping that the region's supporting cast, most of which are usually new, can handle the load by themselves. And good lord, in Doma especially they just can't.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Schneider Inside Her posted:

If you don’t like BoTW or don’t appreciate what they did to improve classic open world mechanics I pity you

I absolutely love how I can just go wherever and do whatever I just feel like there isn't enough to do but that could be I haven't advanced the plot enough to see what all there is.

My new current goal is get the master sword since I apparently found it and the deku tree

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Brother Entropy posted:

also your first party member being locked into your team until you beat their chapter 4 is so drat stupid. it means they get way higher level than anyone else and it interferes doing the very obvious idea of having an A team and a B team

and because of character overlap it makes some characters feel real superfluous. sorry olberic but i've gotta have haanit in my team at all times so bringing you outside of when you're mandatory just feels like a waste of a party slot

I remember hearing on a podcast once that, according to the devs, the way you're supposed to play the game is wander til your party is full and then ignore the other characters until your second playthrough.

I don't really see the wisdom in that but I can see why someone might find it clever.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Deified Data posted:

I remember hearing on a podcast once that, according to the devs, the way you're supposed to play the game is wander til your party is full and then ignore the other characters until your second playthrough.

I don't really see the wisdom in that but I can see why someone might find it clever.

that's insanely stupid

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

See, I don't have the imagination to do cool stuff like that. Give me a boss tutorial that explains in excruciating detail how to kill it with an orbital strike, and I'm on board.

Basically BOTW is what happens if you decide to let a seven year old design an open world game's interaction system and never let him be disappointed that one of his genius ideas doesn't work. A huge number of things work that normally wouldn't. A large number of puzzles can be cheesed using lightning arrows or flaming swords, for example.

Throw a metal weapon in a thunderstorm and it'll get struck by lightning at the instant it hits an enemy, guaranteed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I fell off the top most branch of the deku tree before I could look around the forest.

Jerkass tree.

Edit: was there supposed to be a chest floating in mid air that turned into a tree when I was walking through the forest or did my game bug out?

Edit 2: bug it sounds like https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/7ogoy5/a_floating_chest/?utm_source=reddit-android

Len has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Nov 29, 2018

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Schneider Inside Her posted:

It does a lot of cool stuff but rain and weapon durability are such poo poo mechanics that they drag it down to like a 7/10.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

Ha'anits only good ability, and its real loving good, is leghold trap. Olberic is basically otherwise strictly superior to her and thats a huge bummer cause she seems cool in concept

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Barudak posted:

Ha'anits only good ability, and its real loving good, is leghold trap. Olberic is basically otherwise strictly superior to her and thats a huge bummer cause she seems cool in concept

i love her pokemoning and don't care if it's ultimately bad

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
why is everyone so sweaty at the beginning of alien isolation

e: it's sexual tension, isn't it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The Moon Monster posted:

It does a lot of cool stuff but rain and weapon durability are such poo poo mechanics that they drag it down to like a 7/10.

Weapon durability is such a non issue in this particular game though because you only wear out weapons by punching enemies with them and enemies always carry weapons
Except the big guardians but those guys are best dealt with by bashing their stupid faces in with their own lasers

Also you can equip fire weapons to help fight cold weather and ice weapons to help fight hot weather

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Deified Data posted:

This makes no sense whatsoever because youre required to use all 8 characters and have them well over level 65 (if not 75 to be safe) to actually do the games endgame.

Brother Entropy posted:

i love her pokemoning and don't care if it's ultimately bad

Thats why I said she seems cool and its a bummer she sucks. Her stat distribution just doesnt make up for it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cleretic posted:

And good lord, in Doma especially they just can't.

Eh, I like the Ala Mhigo and Doma stories and casts each in isolation well enough, it's the game's attempts to weld them both into a single expansion's story that I don't like about Stormblood. The story desperately needed someone or something to bring both stories together and explain why they're happening in the same expansion (and the WoL sure isn't written in a way to be that glue), and I think Stormblood suffered badly for the lack of such.

Corny as it might sound, but I think FF14's story is really let down by making the WoL a cipher because it means that the WoL has no real relationship with anyone. I don't necessarily mean romantically (though I think FF14 is kinda screaming out for a TOR-like system for such), but as written the WoL is just vaguely assumed to be good friends with everyone for no particular reason given that the WoL just doesn't have a personality or motives. In such a character-driven story as FF14, the WoL's utter lack of character and functionally nonexistent relationships with the other characters is a glaring misstep in the writing. I'm finishing 4.4, and just had a rather intimate scene with Alisae where they affirm their deep friendship and how the WoL has been an inspiration to Alisae.

And it falls completely flat for me because the WoL has only said about three sentences to Alisae over the entire expansion and post-expansion interlude. Real friendships aren't built on that, and I can only assume Alisae is inspired by the WoL's extreme prowess at killing stuff or refusing to give up - and it has to be that from a story perspective because my WoL has had no opportunities to explain her motives, goals, or feelings.

I'm all for a certain amount of headcanon in an RPG since not everything can be shown on screen, but with FF14 you pretty much have to make up the WoL out of whole cloth and adjust to whatever the plot writers arbitrarily decide because you're given no opportunity to define your character at all beyond the odd "yes" "sure" "If I have to..." dialogue branch.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The rub about the Switch is that seemingly all of the big-ticket first party games are built with it being a portable console in mind. This means single, big progression points are wiped away, replaced with a series of small and repeatable achievements you can conceivably chip away at on the bus. When you consider this, so much of Breath of the Wild especially, but also a few other major first party titles, starts to make sense.

Breath of the Wild has near 1000 Korok seeds and 120 shrines so you stand a very good chance of getting a few small puzzles and one large puzzle chipped away at in a single session. The weapon durability and somewhat repetitive nature of the gameplay loop become way less problematic when you're dealing with them once on your commute, rather than for hours at a time on your couch.

Similarly, Mario Odyssey and its many power moons, where you can play through the game like a normal Mario title or stand a good chance of finding moons in any random nook and cranny.

Kirby Star Allies has its Guest Star mode, where you're encouraged to speedrun through an abridged version of the main game with a huge cast of every power in the game and pretty much all the highlights of Kirby's supporting cast over the years. You try doing that all at once, you're going to get Kirby'd out in no time. You do a little every so often, and you get a Kirby that's not the best in the series but maybe the most replayable.

And then we have Smash Ultimate with the Spirit Board. Which, once again, is many bite-sized events that you can do a few of at a time and feel accomplished despite not having a ton of time to play. Starting to see the trend?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

lol gently caress that dumb game from the moment I heard "You buy all the cards". If I'm gonna pay for cards I might as well go play MTG, at least I can get real cards there and maybe some buttcoin nerds will buy them if I eventually get tired of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Thursday Next posted:

It's not capital-A "Anime", more of a whispered "...anime...",

The protagonist of Ni No Kuni II is a tween catboy who uses the dual powers of naive idealism and friendship to unite the world and vanquish a guy who went full world-destroyer over losing his girlfriend. Also you collect little pokemon