Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Is 3% mortgage reasonable in CA?

For now. But in Canada you have to renegotiate your interest rate regularly, most commonly every five years. Our rates stayed low for a long time because the feds are afraid of our staggering debtloads, but our staggering debtloads have continued to increase because borrowing is cheap, so now that rates are rising people are going to be in trouble.

For example, my mom probably will not be able to pay her mortgage at the rates she's likely to have to renew at next year, but she just bought a $5000 front door. The colour she chose is "Emergency Orange," and I like loud colours but even I hate that door. She's also on an international vacation right now.

Her plan is that maybe my grandmother will die soon and leave her money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

How to get rid of a bad loan

quote:

HELLO! My fiance has a low credit score. (Like 550 or so) Since his credit is so low he is currently paying $400 for his Toyota Yaris car payment. I have a much higher credit score, mine is around 740. Is there a way we can fix his car payment to get it lower?

Thanks in advance!

OP posted:

Update: it's a 6 year loan and the interest rate is something stupid like 20% We are currently making our budget for fixing his credit.

Not the OP posted:

Why does your fiance have such a low credit score?

OP posted:

Someone was a moron his 20's.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

So, a highlight of this thread is always going through the Security Clearance appeals decisions. Here goes:

http://ogc.osd.mil/doha/industrial/2018.html posted:

Applicant failed to mitigate security concerns under Guideline F. He did not file his federal and state income tax returns in 2010, 2011, and 2012, and he owes over $50,000 in back taxes. Following an auto repossession, Applicant is indebted for about $8,000 on the deficiency. He has no plans to pay any of these debts, except the state has garnished his paycheck, and he is involuntarily paying down his state tax debt. He has paid eight smaller collection accounts with funds borrowed from his retirement account, but only after receiving the government’s Statement of Reasons. Clearance is denied. CASE NO: 18-00749.h1

Dude owes $50k in back taxes, $8k upside down on a repossessed car, and borrowed from his retirement accounts to pay off collections accounts. Digging into the case file, he separated from his wife in 2007, but is still married to her. And he testified that he thought she was filing for him and paying his taxes.

Applicant has 16 delinquent accounts that had been placed for collection, charged off, or filed as judgments. Among those debts are three student loan accounts; one judgment; and a variety of delinquent credit cards, charge accounts, telephone accounts, medical accounts, and Internet accounts, none of which have been addressed by Applicant over a lengthy period. Applicant’s actions under the circumstances cast doubt on his current reliability, trustworthiness, and good judgment. Eligibility for access to classified information is denied. CASE NO: 18-00613.h1

I think I just won the BWM bad debt Bingo game with this one.

Applicant submitted fraudulent invoices to his employer for reimbursement of expenses during a long-term work assignment. His fraudulent claims totaled more than $10,000. After Applicant submitted his employment resignation, he downloaded thousands of electronic files from his employer’s computer system, to include proprietary information, without authorization. He failed to mitigate the security concerns under Guidelines E and M. Eligibility for access to sensitive information is denied. CASE NO: 17-01856.h1

Digging a little deeper:

http://ogc.osd.mil/doha/industrial/2018/17-01856.h1.pdf posted:

Applicant testified that he did not falsify his reimbursable expenses during his TDY assignment, which began in the fall of 2013. He submitted financial documentation through an expense reporting system via computer, to include invoices for services and maintenance for his permanent residence, as well as expenses related to his rental house and other expenditures while TDY. Applicant submitted invoices for pool service and lawn service at his permanent residence, and he stated that no one, to include his supervisor, ever questioned the validity of these reported expenses.

Applicant testified that he had a Hispanic man who took care of his lawn, and he had another Hispanic man who maintained the pool at his home. Applicant and his spouse always paid these workers in cash. These workers spoke little English and were not sophisticated businessmen who provided customer receipts. Applicant created his own invoices for these paid services which he submitted to his former employer for reimbursement. Applicant made the invoices on his computer by using a template. When Applicant was asked at the hearing why the submitted invoices looked like authentic business invoices, Applicant explained he did this only to assist him with his record keeping. The invoices were never intended to defraud the company.
That whole case report is pretty hilarious.

Anyway, tons of BWM gold there.

Edit: Bonus Bad With Life.

Applicant has had a long history of alcohol problems including several alcohol related arrests and convictions, and three DUIs. Applicant was arrested in 2013 for drug possession. He contended that the drugs in his vehicle were placed there by a friend, and when the police approached the vehicle, Applicant put the drugs in his mouth to hide them, causing Applicant to get high. Mitigation has not been shown.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 29, 2018

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Quote is not Edit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Financial; Foreign Influence
10/15/2018

Applicant established that circumstances beyond his control contributed in part to his financial problems and that he has been acting responsibly under the circumstances. He resolved most of the financial concerns years before the issuance of the Statement of Reasons (SOR). He also mitigated the foreign influence security concerns. Eligibility for access to classified information is granted. CASE NO: 17-01013.h1

Maybe Trump Jr.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Will criminal records be expunged now that BWM Self-Own Posts are legal? Asking for an attractive and cool friend

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Twerk from Home posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Motors#0%E2%80%930%E2%80%930 Mitsubishi ate enormous losses when they gave away cars with 0 down payment and no payments during the first year.

They also ruined the credit of anyone desperate enough to finance a Mitsubishi. This is amazingly BWM.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

$400,000 in debt. Completely my fault. No way out that I can see. (CAN) posted:

Firstly, I understand I am a POS and that I deserve all the hate that this thread may get. From a young age, I’ve always been good with money. I’m a saver and I always managed to max my RRSPs, TFSAs and I almost never spent money on myself. I live cheaply, and value frugality.

All that began to unravel in January 2007 I opened up my investment account in order to purchase mining penny stocks that were recommended to me by a former employer, who partially owned the company. Being young and naïve about investing I bought a whole bunch of shares. After around a year I had lost over $10,000. I decided to make this money back by investing much more into the broad market. This was at the beginning of the 2008 market crash. When losses went well over $50,000 I became more aggressive and invested into more and more risky investment vehicles including stock options and foreign companies which had seen big share price drops. Each and every one ended up delisted from the exchanges and saw losses of basically 100%. As losses climbed over $100,000 I decided to get into actual gambling, sports betting specifically – something where the house didn’t necessarily have as much of an edge. I almost made it out of debt multiple times, but I inevitably sank lower in the end. One time I took $10 and turned it into $12,000. Another time I took $100 and turned it into $150,000 and yet another time I took $5K and turned it into $165K. However, this was when I was already down 3 times as much so it didn’t get me out of the hole which is all I wanted. After 8 years of trying using that method I am now almost $400,000 in debt. $250,000 is owed to family and the rest is my personal line of credit and credit cards. Sitting here now, I literally have $6 CAD to my name.

The banks have been calling me almost every day for almost 2 months, but they said they are now going to move it to collections or press legal charges.

I have no assets, no formal education, no connections, and my business is permanently ruined. I’ve been trying to get a job for 3 months, but it turns out that despite me at one point making 6-figures as a [redacted], I’m not very desirable on the job market. Heck, I don’t even have the money for my end-of-month haircut. Interest payments alone are around $2,500/month and then I have rent ($750/month) that I need to start paying back.

I’ve been dealing with severe depression for almost a decade now and I feel the last of my hope has left me. I have no desire to live, but I just can’t leave this earth until I pay the people back that I owe money to. I never intended to cheat or take advantage of anyone and if I could I’d work for 20 years to pay this all back, but it seems my time has run out. I don’t know what’s next, and I’m tired. Thanks for reading. I'm not sure I'll be able to reply to the messages, but I needed to throw this out there.

Edit: Thank-you for your positive replies. I appreciate your thoughts and will read them. I do want to add that I have a loving family that have forgiven me and are OK with me paying them back over a long period. They still require the interest that is due every month which keeps increasing due to BOC rate hikes and me not being able to pay down the principal. Of course bankruptcy doesn't do anything for the $250K and I don't know if it does anything for the $150K incurred while gambling.

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a17adn/400000_in_debt_completely_my_fault_no_way_out/

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Elephanthead posted:

They also ruined the credit of anyone desperate enough to finance a Mitsubishi. This is amazingly BWM.

Mits are also horrible cars tbh so it's even funnier.

Edit holy poo poo how do you even get credit in the high six figures like that to piss away

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 29, 2018

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

hang out in cspam instead d&d sucks

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

Digging a little deeper:

That whole case report is pretty hilarious.

Another juicy tidbit in there is that the applicant is 48 years old and has a 47 year old adult stepdaughter. Mostly just raises a lot of questions but one can only assume that there's some BWM buried in that story too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Krispy Wafer posted:

using student loans to pay for that stuff.
speaking of

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/a18osc/college_overpaid_me_student_loans_need_legal/

quote:

COLLEGE OVERPAID ME STUDENT LOANS - NEED LEGAL ADVICE

In August my school, USC, gave me my student loans, like normal. In October I received an email saying I owed them about $9000. I thought this was an error so I contacted Financial Aid via email. They told me that the school had made an error which resulted in an overpayment and that I now owe them $9000 or else I will be barred from enrolling and graduating. I have spoken with every department and they all say that yes, it was their fault but I still need to pay them back. Is there anything I can do? Is this fraud? Ideally I would like to defer the payment to go along with my student loans in the future, I don't see that because of their mistake it is stopping me from getting my credential needed to make money to pay them back.

quote:

level 2
ElegantCommittee7
-541 points ·
11 hours ago

None of the above. They credited me with more than I was supposed to get without ever telling me. They admit it was their mistake.
level 3
Cypher_Blue
Quality Contributor391 points ·
11 hours ago

And what happened to that money?

ElegantCommittee7
-442 points ·
11 hours ago

That's irrelevant regarding this situation.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Must have been a fun three months.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The Spearmint Rhino and Dames N' Games strip club aren't far from there if you want to live one night as a lion

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Easy, take the $6 and make $100k.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I'm pretty sure this is what the French Foreign Legion is for. Not sure that still works though?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I really really wanna know how he spent it. OP is getting really combative with everyone who is trying to ask how or why he already spent 9k in 3 months.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

wilderthanmild posted:

I really really wanna know how he spent it. OP is getting really combative with everyone who is trying to ask how or why he already spent 9k in 3 months.

Bitcoin probably lmao

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Ashcans posted:

I'm pretty sure this is what the French Foreign Legion is for. Not sure that still works though?

The Legion doesn't clear your slate; you can get a new identity while you are in it (and a number of them do) but it's not some magical reset button for your life. There was an US Army deserter a few years ago who did 5 years in the Legion, new id, got out, went back to the States and was arrested and sentenced to 4 years. Basically it boils down to a hard way to hide out for a few years.

This is all just idle fun, of course, because the idiot OP who lost 400k is probably in no shape whatsoever to join anyway.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Well, you aren't supposed to go back, you're supposed to run away, enlist, and then use your new identity and French citizenship to restart your life in Europe. Which was a lot more viable before we entered an age where so much biometric data is collected and shared.

But yea, depressed guy with a catastrophic gambling issue is probably not going to make the cut anyway.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Gambling with your life is the ultimate high though.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

FAUXTON posted:

Bitcoin probably lmao

I guess cocaine and strippers is a little optimistic these days. What is the world coming to when a young man in his prime blows 9 grand on the blockchain instead of drugs and debauchery?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bwm is trusting "influencers"

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2...week-marketing/

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

This is Art

quote:

While the purchases were real, influencer did get their cash back after paying hundreds and they also left with free shoes for their trouble.

Aw, boo

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aw...that's a happy story.

Still not buying their cheap shoes.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Can't wait for the whole "influencer" fad to crash and burn and all of a sudden people have to get real jobs that doesn't involve posting on instagram every waking minute.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Gambling with your life is the ultimate high though.

Russian Roulette is GWM, because not only is it the ultimate gamble at a bargain price, if you win you make money, and if you lose, you'll discharge your remaining student loans! It's foolproof!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Can't wait for the whole "influencer" fad to crash and burn and all of a sudden people have to get real jobs that doesn't involve posting on instagram every waking minute.

LJL if you think that businesses are ever going to give up on advertising through relatable social media mouthpieces, it is literally the same as paying celebrities to be in TV commercials but way loving cheaper and laser pinpointed on their demographics

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

^---when the world economy crashes and burns then influencers will die out. But so will we so....

there's no way in hell the influencers weren't in on the scam since day 1. Yes I'm sure they charged their credit cards then reversed it

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah no, influencers aren't going anywhere for a loooong time. What's your next prediction, that the "gig economy" is also on it's way out as workers finally collectively smarten up to the nuances of the system?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I always laugh when people say all these crowdfunding scams are going to kill crowdfunding

i mean yeah when money dies too

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

:3: Babies first accounting error.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think that might be the most downvotes I've ever seen.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"Influencers" have been a thing since the dawn of advertising, social media is just another medium the same way print, radio, and television were.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
See: Marylin Monroe, a protoinfluencer who convinced generations of Americans that a diamond wedding ring = proof that he actually loves you

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My kid's got 2700 followers and she's been approached twice to advertise clothing. Influencing is the least common denominator for marketing.

And just in case that's construed as a humblebrag I've got 8 followers and couldn't influence my way out of a paper bag.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Alan Smithee posted:

^---when the world economy crashes and burns then influencers will die out. But so will we so....

there's no way in hell the influencers weren't in on the scam since day 1. Yes I'm sure they charged their credit cards then reversed it

I’m not saying you’re wrong but that seems like a very poor decision to make as an influencer if your income is based on people trusting you to review items for quality. If you can’t tell Payless shoes aren’t worth hundreds of dollars you either don’t know what the value of hundreds of dollars is to me or what craftsmanship is. Unfollow!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

StormDrain posted:

I’m not saying you’re wrong but that seems like a very poor decision to make as an influencer if your income is based on people trusting you to review items for quality. If you can’t tell Payless shoes aren’t worth hundreds of dollars you either don’t know what the value of hundreds of dollars is to me or what craftsmanship is. Unfollow!

No shoes are worth hundreds of dollars, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

StormDrain posted:

These influencers seem to be.....Bad With Money.

I remember reading this story a few months ago: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/06/instagram-influencers-are-driving-luxury-hotels-crazy/562679/

The "career" seems to attract a lot of morons who think they can just be hot and popular and live the high life for little effort.