Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I see Voyager and Enterprise as inverses of each other. Voyager had lots of great ideas, but they consistently whiffed on the execution. Enterprise felt more like the cast and crew were putting their heart and soul into it and trying their absolute best, but the writers were completely out of ideas.

To be clear, in both cases I put the blame on the writers rather than the cast & crew, for the most part... Just in kind of different ways. Voyager's problems were on more of a micro level, Enterprise's were more macro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

I see Voyager and Enterprise as inverses of each other. Voyager had lots of great ideas, but they consistently whiffed on the execution. Enterprise felt more like the cast and crew were putting their heart and soul into it and trying their absolute best, but the writers were completely out of ideas.

To be clear, in both cases I put the blame on the writers rather than the cast & crew, for the most part... Just in kind of different ways. Voyager's problems were on more of a micro level, Enterprise's were more macro.

Yeah, I think the ENT actors were all trying their best unlike some of the VOY cast. I mean a couple of them just didn't have the chops really, but it wasn't lack of effort.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Epicurius posted:

So Weyoun and Weytoun?

What am weyoun?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Spock's Weyoun

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Spock's Weyoun

Well Spock is a clone replacement of himself

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Well Spock is a clone replacement of himself

Who isn't at this point? O'Brien, Kim, isnt Picard too? Riker if you cross your eyes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pakled posted:

You could watch all four seasons of that show and forget Malcolm Reed existed within a day.
Who?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Who isn't at this point? O'Brien, Kim, isnt Picard too? Riker if you cross your eyes.

Who knows what the Borg did with Picard

The Doctor cloned himself into the diagnostic program

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

The Bloop posted:

The Doctor cloned himself into the diagnostic program

You can install as many copies of the Doctor as you have valid licenses, though, so he doesn't count.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I still maintain that Kim isn't, but the rest of Voyager is.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I still maintain that Kim isn't, but the rest of Voyager is.

If you choose to see the show through Harry Kim's POV, sure.

The Noodle Incident
Aug 23, 2007
I DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!
Everyone besides Sisko, Dax, Bashir, and the people on the Defiant was annihilated in the DS9 episode Past Tense and we have been watching the inhabitants of the Sisko-Bell timeline since then.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No we're watching the results of the Quark Roswell timeline

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
We just need Neo-Trotskyists to come to power in France soon

The Noodle Incident
Aug 23, 2007
I DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!
Edit: never mind, too many to mention, but the basic message is the ongoing continuous existence of anyone in Trek is probably like 5 years, max.

The Noodle Incident fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 29, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Noodle Incident posted:

Or The Voyage Home timeline

Or the All Good Things Picard goes back to the dawn of life on Earth timeline.

No those timelines ended with the most recent timeline shift.

I think right shortly after the Quark Roswell timeline we are in the sympathetic Romulan from early 24th century went through a wormhole to Voyager timeline.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
That would be an interesting thing for a turbonerd to do: list every possible timeline split or instance of time travel or changing or existing in 'the past' to figure out just how many universes we've been Star Trekking through.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Iirc RLM did roughly that

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VanSandman posted:

That would be an interesting thing for a turbonerd to do: list every possible timeline split or instance of time travel or changing or existing in 'the past' to figure out just how many universes we've been Star Trekking through.

Wormholes are a passage through space and time, so every single time they go through the wormhole in DS9, they arrive at a very similar but distinct universe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My favorite part of deep space nine is anytime Sisko says the name of the show in a commander's log.

Things are calm here on DEEP SPACE NINE

That's just the way things go on DEEP SPACE NINE

It's time to take back DEEP SPACE NINE

As far as I know Picard never says "The Next Generation" and that's why it's a weaker show overall

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TNG really did have a uniquely 80s name. It also has a sense of finality about it too, like "they aren't going to let us do this again, so we don't even need to make it all that different because it's not like there will be 4 more series."

It's not even an accurate name, there are at least two other generations between TOS and TNG!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Bloop posted:

Wormholes are a passage through space and time, so every single time they go through the wormhole in DS9, they arrive at a very similar but distinct universe.

This is basically like the way Timeline worked, where they were travelling to an alternate reality which was identical to our world but a specific amount of time distant from our own, so you couldn't keep going back to the same moment, it was always 700 years earlier than the moment you left from.

And subsequently, though not outright stated to my recollection, there exists another universe which is that same amount of time distant from us, only in the future.

I think that method of "time travel" is pretty unique in fiction, I can't recall another story I've read which argues time travel to be impossible but provides a way to sort of do it anyway through quantum bullshit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Didn't they end up changing the past for real in the movie? Like they found the grave of their friend who stayed behind?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That's in the book, too. And it's because of that second paragraph.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Terra Nova: Mayweather expresses deep lifelong interest in the planet the ship is about to visit. Archer takes him along, but doesn’t let him do anything more interesting than drive and guard the shuttle. At the end of the episode he makes Mayweather file all the paperwork.

On the other hand, this time when T’Pol points out that Archer’s cunning plan to abduct the natives to earth is loving stupid, he actually listens to her

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 29, 2018

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Brawnfire posted:

All I wanted out of Enterprise was the Romulan-Earth war. And they never got there. It's just too much to bear.

So much this.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/StarTrek/status/1068262246759849984

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:thunk::thunk::thunk:

Looks pretty good otherwise, but of course, they've lost the benefit of the doubt by now.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I will only accept this if Spock also yells "The women!" after a transporter malfunction.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Stupid Sexy Spock

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

skasion posted:

Voyager has MANY bad episodes that are totally unmemorable rather than being terrible and weird. Like the more than one episode about Janeway loving holo-Irishmen. I do think they were also generally zanier and more amusing than Enterprise though. Enterprise is going for a much more quotidian, less cartoonish vibe. If they could have made that work, I think it would have made for a better show than Voyager. Unfortunately both shows were written and produced by assclowns so in the event it just means that Enterprise is a less interesting failure.

But what about that super memorable Mall Of The Millennium episode?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pakled posted:

We just need Neo-Trotskyists to come to power in France soon

And Paris is the capital of earth/federation. Federation is a Trot empire.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, I think the ENT actors were all trying their best unlike some of the VOY cast. I mean a couple of them just didn't have the chops really, but it wasn't lack of effort.

They were written just so badly and so blandly that it only makes sense that most of the VOY cast just gradually tuned out. Seven seasons and they never even actually decided what tribe Chakotay was from!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Sure they did. He was from, uh, Native.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cat Hatter posted:

But what about that super memorable Mall Of The Millennium episode?
God, ‘11:59’ is not even the good-bad kind of terrible, it’s the boring kind

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I thought he was from the "Rubber people" of central america, or something. Wasn't that the tribe in Tattoo?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My ancestor was part of this important millennium thing.

I'm an expert in the 20th century and that person never existed.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cojawfee posted:

My ancestor was part of this important millennium thing.

I'm an expert in the 20th century and that person never existed.

Oh, not 20th century, no; he's a 21st century ancestor.

I see.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Galvanik posted:

I thought he was from the "Rubber people" of central america, or something. Wasn't that the tribe in Tattoo?

Yep. That's where we find out that Native Americans are aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We never find out about his specific tribe because the literal huckster fake they hired as their consultant probably didn't even know enough.