Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Columbia MilVets had someone on their board meltdown or quit cause of drama. v0v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

honestly kinda irrelevant but considering this is apparently a regular thing for that club, lmao

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
If you think you're going to have to retake a class, speak to your adviser before hand, and chances are they'll waive them for you.

Most are p chill and will do this up to the final week of graduation, but it's obviously best to knock them all out asap.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Pro tip: Don't wait until the day of to write and finish your final research paper. Having the only eyes on it before submission being you and 3-fingers Scotch pull you isn't the best overall idea.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Viva Miriya posted:

Columbia MilVets had someone on their board meltdown or quit cause of drama. v0v

It's an annual event at this point

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Holy gently caress there is a huge jump in difficulty to post-grad. Being out of school five years doesn't help at all either.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
So I mean this is all my fault or something for not researching the degree hard enough or whatever, but gently caress this I'm changing my degree again probably. I was looking at this degree in "Engineering & Technology – Career and Technical Education, B.S." which is basically 2018 shop teacher. I got accepted and most of my transcripts have been counted and all that. Basically for me last two years of school with that degree I need 128 more credits, mostly 3-400 level courses. The main reason I was taking that is because I can get it at the satellite campus up where I live, rather than the long rear end drive to main campus.

If I switch to something like, HS Government teacher, I need like 43 credits and student teaching. Most of those are 100-200 level history courses and poo poo like that that I could take at the local community college. They offer the some of the general educator classes as they do at the prior mentioned program here too, so I'm not seeing an exact reason why i can't just get most of it done here and spend a semester in Moscow ID for loving way less work.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Is that quarter units?

Lol that's a whole four year degree to do if it's semester units.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 28, 2018

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I forgot that the housing payment is in arrears so, was nice to see some cash coming in at the end/start of the month

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

The Aardvark posted:

Is that quarter units?

Lol that's a whole four year degree to do if it's semester units.

semesters.

it was insane like, unreal amounts of classes. It might be closer to like 90 because I may have been counting stuff twice or something, I'm not sure. But I did the same thing with the other degree as well so it's more like 30 something.

I'm actually feeling better about doing a more traditional education program even if it means I might have to get an apartment or something for a semester.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't know about how your school does it, but for mine teaching was a double bachelors and came out to 176 semester hours. 120 for your subject, 60 for your teaching classes, 16 for your student teaching.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
you know what, I was looking at the Minor lol. Even still, I just looked at a normal one, this time for History, and it is quite a bit more courses, but still better than the old one. More like 60 some credits at this point. That makes a lot more sense than the other which did seem pretty kinda strange that the class requirements were so low in the actual topic! None of this poo poo is official just me trying to guess how things will play out and needing to go see an adviser because who knows what kind of weird poo poo I am missing.

edit: Yeah for history they have the 33cr option and the 45cr option (credits in the subject at hand) and not even the 45 one (which is what my above numbers were based on) look that bad.

It probably ends up being something like 176ish if I added it up. For none of these numbers I've included student teaching because its own thing (it's 15 in this program) and I have a basically every 100-200 level course done at this point so it's really just the 3-4 level courses that I need to do

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 28, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah it depends on your state and school what you need.

Your typical ~120 semester hour degree is like 60ish credits general electives, 60ish credits degree-specific. Since you obviously wouldn't have to do general electives again for a second bachelors, that's why a teaching degree tops out around 170-180 hours when you include student teaching time.

I realized I hosed up my math on how the breakdown is in my earlier post but whatever, point is still mostly valid.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, this program doesnt require a dual major or anything thankfully. Probably fucks me out of working in 49 states or something but I can't even give a poo poo at this point.

I've just been looking at all these loving degree audit things all day and I'm getting crosseyed at this point.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Those degree audit pages on school sites are unreliable, every time I've logged into mine to look at it the thing doesnt think I've met most of my requirements even though I'm already accepted for graduation. Also the requirements can vary for different degree catalog years which can mess it up too. Just check with your advisor or have them send you to whatever department your new target degree is in.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
yeah that's the plan for sure. I haven't made any firm decisions yet, I'm just at that crossroads and I'm evaluating what I really want to spend my time on the next couple of years. I'm trying to get a basic idea of what I'm in for so I can speak to an adviser with some sort of concept or goal at this point, rather than just looking at them and drooling or something.

I feel like I've been in college like half of my life at this point. University of Idaho will be my 4th school when I start, over the course of the past 17 years or so :sigh:

edit: my life has been graduate from HS>college>army>college>army>college> and soon to be >new college

edit2: In case it isn't obvious I'm DUMB AS gently caress

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 28, 2018

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

mods changed my name posted:

edit2: In case it isn't obvious I'm DUMB AS gently caress

Show me a veteran that isn't

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I went HS - college - work - college - Navy - college - Law School. Going to school is an investment in yourself and it's awesome that the military affords us this opportunity to get educated without going into massive debt like most of my classmates.

It's awesome that you're looking at going back to school. I had zero idea what I wanted to do until the after the Navy, and now I think I have a much better idea of why I'm attending law school than many of my peers. The process should definitely be available to everyone and it's not. Take advantage now to put yourself in position to do what you want to do, not just what's available.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

So technically my first semester is Spring 2019, but we have an immersion week here (plus a three-day orientation a while back) I'm having to stay in a hotel for. Apparently BAH/book stipend isn't going to kick in until after drop/add for Spring semester in mid-January. And they're giving me mixed signals on if they're going to pay for this month.

"Things to ask BEFORE you whip out the credit card".

One good part is that all but one of the professors use incredibly cheap textbooks.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
did you burn through your piles of mod money already???

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

did you burn through your piles of mod money already???

lol I have a couple of paychecks invested in tile that's slowly being laid in my house. Every time I end up with one out of alignment enough to piss me off, I think of grover.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Every time you think of grover, install a load bearing outlet in the middle of a wall.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

GD_American posted:

lol I have a couple of paychecks invested in tile that's slowly being laid in my house. Every time I end up with one out of alignment enough to piss me off, I think of grover.

It’s good to see you posting here again man.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

It's time for the standard fuuuuuuuuuuck finals week.

Exam, quiz, Term Paper, Presentation, Take Home Final. Busy two weeks.

Beats the hot water heater breaking during Spring finals.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

SquirrelyPSU posted:

It's time for the standard fuuuuuuuuuuck finals week.

Exam, quiz, Term Paper, Presentation, Take Home Final. Busy two weeks.

Beats the hot water heater breaking during Spring finals.

I took care of most of my worries before and during Thanksgiving break. Did a bunch of research into cognitive bias in cybersecurity and wrote some code to break down my advisors data. Over the next three weeks I have 1 homework assignment, a presentation/report to give that my group did most of the work for already and 3 finals.

This, of course, means I get to spend all my time studying R and SQL because programming is the worst.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

gently caress I remember one day I had three finals. I’m sure someone got me beat but drat.

Always loved the professors that did it the week before and the last day of class was a wink wink nudge nudge I’ll be sick that day, or something of the sort

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
We weren't allowed to have more than two finals in a day. If you somehow miracled three, you could go to the professor with the one you wanted to move and they would have to move it. We had a professor have a meltdown over it once because they had a vacation booked the next day and didn't anticipate it.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

My worst final is going to be pchem 2. The semester final is over two days and then we have the ACS pchem exam which covers both semesters. :suicide:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
With the way my school schedules classes, it seems like it's never possible to get the classes I need with one being on an even hour and the other being on an odd hour. So I always have all my finals over the course of two days, instead of over four days.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Legitimately might have just taken a 35% on an exam. Be proactive kids!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Legitimately might have just taken a 35% on an exam. Be proactive kids!

:ohdear: Hopefully it curves well

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Yeah, this program doesnt require a dual major or anything thankfully. Probably fucks me out of working in 49 states or something but I can't even give a poo poo at this point.

I've just been looking at all these loving degree audit things all day and I'm getting crosseyed at this point.

I did a teaching licensure on Voc Rehab, so feel free to ask. Basically you'll have two options that look pretty identical except for a few classes. The biggest difference in between a History degree and a History degree with a education license is that you don't have a senior seminar class, you have student teaching. Instead of working on draft after draft after draft of a thesis you'll do five months in a school trying to be a teacher.

Your license will be state specific no matter what, but the good news is it's usually as easy as "submit transcripts, take state specific test" to get a job in any other state.

Also your military experience will help a lot when you watch 22 year old kids freak out about how to handle a 13 year old being mean to them.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Vasudus posted:

We weren't allowed to have more than two finals in a day. If you somehow miracled three, you could go to the professor with the one you wanted to move and they would have to move it. We had a professor have a meltdown over it once because they had a vacation booked the next day and didn't anticipate it.

Sure as hell hope that wasn't an essay final.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Getting ready to do the same ritual I used for my first 3 speeches in public speaking: drink an energy drink around midnight and write the whole thing, and then drink another energy drink around 6am so I can stay awake to deliver it. This is the last one so I wont have to keep doing this poo poo

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

So the housing allowance calculator at VA.gov shows a bah rate for my school that is about $120 higher than I have been receiving since I started attending in summer 2017. Does this press release today regarding "uncapped rates" mean I can expect a fat backpay check, or what's going on exactly?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
they just said they weren't back paying poo poo to Congress today so yeah who even knows

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

:ohdear: Hopefully it curves well

I've done well enough the rest of the semester, just left too much until the last second and bombed spectacularly. Hopefully lesson learned.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Got a 75% on that speech I did overnight. The system works wooooo C baby

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

brand engager posted:

Got a 75% on that speech I did overnight. The system works wooooo C baby

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008