Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Yeah, they gave up a 1st and are basically trading down 5-10 spots to get Mack. That 2nd round pick they got in return never gets mentioned but was a big deal considering how bad the Raiders will be.

Wouldn't the Raiders' 2nd-rounder be near or at the very back-end of the second round?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Timby posted:

Wouldn't the Raiders' 2nd-rounder be near or at the very back-end of the second round?

Uh No, unless you think they are gonna be good next year.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Timby posted:

Snake draft is just a fantasy thing dude.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Sure, but even now one of the Lions' biggest flaws is a lack of strength on the defensive line and any kind of pass rush. Donald is the kind of player you can build around, and could have helped ease the drastic collapse of the defense after Suh left. Instead the line became a withered husk of its former self, a status that remains to this day.

The sad part is that this is true, and the line's probably the defense's biggest strength.

That and Darius Slay. Glover Quin is low-key dead.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

SolusLunes posted:

The sad part is that this is true, and the line's probably the defense's biggest strength.

That and Darius Slay. Glover Quin is low-key dead.

If you buy PFF the line is actually amazing, it's just that the LB and secondary are historically bad again. Snacks, Ashawn and Hand are all grading out as top tier probowlers. It just doesn't matter when 3 guys are running free at the snap and LBs can't fill holes in the run game.

It's really weird as the DLine was a major hole going into the year.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Scipiotik posted:

If you buy PFF the line is actually amazing, it's just that the LB and secondary are historically bad again. Snacks, Ashawn and Hand are all grading out as top tier probowlers. It just doesn't matter when 3 guys are running free at the snap and LBs can't fill holes in the run game.

It's really weird as the DLine was a major hole going into the year.

We seriously hit on Hand, and Snacks was an amazing value trade. Now if only our linebackers knew how to tackle. I'm hoping with Agnew back on week 15 he can return to the slot and we can do Slay/Lawson on the outside. As bad as Lawson is, he's better than Tabor or whoever else we've been starting out there.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lawson has an amazing ability to stay with his man and have great position and then never loving do anything with it.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

VJeff posted:

Lawson has an amazing ability to stay with his man and have great position and then never loving do anything with it.

lawson get a loving hand up please for the love of god NO NOT GRABBING HIS JERSEY YOU loving NITWIT JUST GET A GODDAMN HAND ON THE GODDAMN loving BALL

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Zack_Pearson/status/1068207211279728646?s=19

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is Trubs still questionable? I saw someone tweet something like "Chase Daniel's start-per-million dollar ratio is plummeting rapidly" but I didn't bother to research it any further and then I was just reminded of it by reading this thread.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

quote:

“I was starting to get cranked,” Jim Washburn, the Lions’ defensive line coach at the time, recalled in a phone interview with the Free Press. “And I said this guy is a Jedi. Everybody looked puzzled and Mrs. Ford was sitting there and she couldn’t figure out what the heck a Jedi was. And I said a Jedi, he’s like Yoda. It’s like a Jedi, they see things before they happen, and I said Aaron Donald sees things before they happen. And he’s John Randle. Maybe when it’s all said and done, he’s better than John Randle.”

Wish I could've been there when people were trying to explain to Martha Ford what a Jedi was.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Trubs out again, all hail our new QB Chase Daniellllllllll. Pretty sure Trubs is hurt way more than the bears are letting on as per usual.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Nah the fact that he was practicing at all means he's probably fine.

My guess if this was a playoff game or the Rams game or they had less faith in the backup he'd be playing.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
They just finished sitting Mack and Robinson for the same reason, which is, why risk anyone's long term health on the giants?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/CEmma670/status/1068215982357770240

Yeah he's fine.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Saquon does one thing well, which is break tackles, and the bears tackle really poorly

I'm definitely nervous

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

mastershakeman posted:

Saquon does one thing well, which is break tackles, and the bears tackle really poorly

I'm definitely nervous

Bears are playing this lead like they play prevent D. Minnesota can very easily win the division still and depending on how much the Bears sink could be on the outside looking in. Tell Trubisky to stop being a pussy and become a man like Cutler, if nothings broke get out there and play kid.

L @ Giants (Def possible)
L @ Rams (99.9% likely)
L @ Packers (Rodgers Magic poo poo)
L @ (SF not likely but you lose the previous 3 gams morale is down who knows)
L @ Minnesota (they want/need a win badly and the teams morale is in the shitters Bears go back to Bearsing)

Bears miss playoffs, the world is once again balanced.

Hako fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 29, 2018

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

ImPureAwesome posted:

They just finished sitting Mack and Robinson for the same reason, which is, why risk anyone's long term health on the giants?

For sure, the Bears are being way smarter than every other team who rushes people back only to get hurt worse and have their careers derailed.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Scipiotik posted:

For sure, the Bears are being way smarter than every other team who rushes people back only to get hurt worse and have their careers derailed.

Sitting players and letting them rest in their 3-5 year window prime is not how you win championships. Sacrifice your body and career for your one chance at glory.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

I'm definitely nervous

I don't think you realize just how bad the Giants defense is.

And how bad their offense is.

The Giants offensive line is trash money, and the bears have an elite run defense. They might just have one or two plays that leave an impact and make people think it's worse than it actually is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Honestly being safe rather than sorry is a good decision for QBs and more teams should be willing to do that rather than just running them into the ground

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Hako posted:

Sitting players and letting them rest in their 3-5 year window prime is not how you win championships. Sacrifice your body and career for your one chance at glory.

Snap back to reality
Oh, there goes gravity
Oh, there goes Rabbit, he choked
He's so mad, but he won't give up that easy, no

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WmMj4lfpdc

This video's kind of old but seems pretty fitting for this thread.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dexo posted:

I don't think you realize just how bad the Giants defense is.

And how bad their offense is.

The Giants offensive line is trash money, and the bears have an elite run defense. They might just have one or two plays that leave an impact and make people think it's worse than it actually is.

Yeah I mean I'm basically worried about a repeat of the dolphins game because the only thing the Giants are going to do is throw 1 yard passes to obj and Barkley and tell them to make everyone miss. Which could easily happen in a 21-20 loss or whatever

On the plus side if Manning even tries to hold the ball for more than a second , mack is gonna take it from him

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hako posted:

Trubs out again, all hail our new QB Chase Daniellllllllll. Pretty sure Trubs is hurt way more than the bears are letting on as per usual.

One of the Twitter doctors said right after they announced it was an sprained AC joint that it's a 2-3 week injury. This seems to line up with that.

Bears are up big in the North and the Giants aren't all that good. Plus Daniels doesn't appear to be a big dropoff from Trubisky. I think if the Bears win and the Vikings lose again (both likely outcomes), it wouldn't surprise me if they sit him another game with the division more or less wrapped up.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Bears starting season 7-3 then resting their qb for the playoffs would be hilarious

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Fenrir posted:

It does, but I think any team short of the Rams and maybe Chiefs will get rolled by 20+ if the Saints keep playing like they are right now. They look unstoppable.

Yeah so nevermind this obviously bad and dumb statement. If the Bears played the same Saints that are playing right now, Bears by 30.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Niwrad posted:

One of the Twitter doctors said right after they announced it was an sprained AC joint that it's a 2-3 week injury. This seems to line up with that.

Bears are up big in the North and the Giants aren't all that good. Plus Daniels doesn't appear to be a big dropoff from Trubisky. I think if the Bears win and the Vikings lose again (both likely outcomes), it wouldn't surprise me if they sit him another game with the division more or less wrapped up.

He really should play against the Rams. He needs more experience against teams that don't suck.

Also, I just want to see a good game.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/29/green-bay-packers-problems-aaron-rodgers-mike-mccarthy-ted-thompson

I'm not gonna quote the highlights because the whole thing is worth reading (for Packers fans, to see what was going wrong, for NFC North fans, to see how hilariously stifling and closed-off the Packers became -- according to disgruntled voices, anyway). But I will quote this one bit:

quote:

McCarthy is the play caller, but because Rodgers is so intelligent and such a good improvisational player, the quarterback has the green light to change plays on the field as he see fit. He does, so often that it can be hard for McCarthy to get into a rhythm as the play caller. McCarthy might call the same play three times in a game, without the play actually being run as he called it. And if McCarthy calls a play that Rodgers doesn’t like early in the game, that can sour the mood for the rest of the game. Several sources familiar with the inner workings of the organization say that it devolved into a competition over who can call the better play, and both want the credit when things go right.

quote:

When asked why they think Van Pelt is no longer in Green Bay, several sources close to the team say they believe, because Van Pelt had Rodgers’s ear, McCarthy saw him as a threat.

“Which came first, the chicken or the egg? McCarthy wants credit for Aaron Rodgers, who he is,” says a source familiar with the inner workings of the organization. “I think too many people have tried to say they created Aaron Rodgers.”

Also :lol:

quote:

You don’t have to look too far back in Packers lore to find how that tension can help fuel greatness. Former Packers head coach Mike Holmgren and quarterback Brett Favre were also known for their fiery spats. Matt Hasselbeck was a backup quarterback in Green Bay from 1998 to 2000. He says that Holmgren would threaten to fire Andy Reid, Favre’s beloved quarterback coach at the time, whenever he felt the quarterback was stepping out of line. “If you change the play one more time, I will fire Andy Reid. Do you want him to be unemployed? It was a good way to reach Brett, quite honestly,” Hasselbeck says. “Brett loved Andy, so it was like, No, anything but that! I think that kind of tension is fairly normal.”

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

that's not normal or healthy, matt!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If this is a battle of wills between Rodgers and McCarthy, uh, I don't think McCarthy is gonna win that one.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Worth getting rid of McCarthy even just to make sure that the bad vibes from their lovely relationship isn't around anymore

Also it kind of seems like Rodgers cares more about being right than about winning, which... kinda fits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bax9C8damOU

Play fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 30, 2018

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I say this with no malice but I hope the Packers are a sub 500 team for at least the next 5 years

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

GNU Order posted:

I say this with no malice but I hope the Packers are a sub 500 team for at least the next 5 years
Same but with malice.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I hope the bears play well but top out at the divisional round.

With malice

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

I hope the bears play well but top out at the divisional round.

With malice
You're in luck.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

American McGay posted:

Same but with malice.

Also same

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I want the bears to pick up hunt and get lucky with a 6 game suspension so bad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I appreciate you for saying my initial thoughts after he was released that I instantly shut off as that's a real bad thing to do