Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Upgrading levied units for free will turn an otherwise staggeringly shite ability into something cool. The Hassar getting combat bonuses for alliances when the civ itself seem very domination-inclined is a bit counter-intuitive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I hope there’s a new Civ thats main play style is one city and then capturing the city state’s like that one in Civ V. Which was that? Venice?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Hungary seems like a civ that'll be fun to try once and never again. I didn't even remember levied units were a thing until someone posted Hungary's abilities.

That's because levying cost 10000 gold, the CSs only have three era old units, and your enemies can just put envoys into the CS to cancel put your alliance.

So nobody uses it.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

Upgrading levied units for free will turn an otherwise staggeringly shite ability into something cool. The Hassar getting combat bonuses for alliances when the civ itself seem very domination-inclined is a bit counter-intuitive though.

I don’t think that free upgrade will be very strong considering you would have to move the levied units into your own borders to upgrade. Nice for getting good value out of the dumbass city states who only build warriors and never upgrade to swords though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chaosapiant posted:

I hope there’s a new Civ thats main play style is one city and then capturing the city state’s like that one in Civ V. Which was that? Venice?

Bingo, and trade routes. Lots of trade routes.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The video shows an archer being upgraded to a crossbow within Auckland's borders.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

chaosapiant posted:

Yea it was.
I want a builder civ, like Germany at the moment. Maybe they've decided it's too strong to do that.

It's really boring that so many of the new civs that came in the small DLC are so war focused, especially when the AI is so atrocious at war.

Also I find it really strange that just like with Civ5 they released a load of small DLC with some civs in after release then once the first expansion was released they entirely stopped it. I guess it's down to how they allocate resources but why not just make 3 expansions instead?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Magil Zeal posted:

The video shows an archer being upgraded to a crossbow within Auckland's borders.

Yes, you can already upgrade your units in allies' territory, including city states if you're the suzerain, so it's not necessarily a huge detour. I've been watching a bit of a let's play and the player did actually levy a city state's military so that's the first time I've ever seen it used, and it actually helped him conquer a neighbour so it can be useful - just very specific.

Can anyone confirm if you can just cancel the levy by shifting suzerain status? Also anyone know if the AI ever used the ability?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Marmaduke! posted:

Can anyone confirm if you can just cancel the levy by shifting suzerain status?

You can, unless they've changed that for the expansion.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Taear posted:

with Civ5 they released a load of small DLC with some civs in after release, then once the first expansion was released they entirely stopped it.

I once heard (in some thread, but it feels convincing) that this is because they don't want to release DLCs that are reliant on other DLCs. So, if they were to release a scenario pack now, it should only have civs that use the base mechanics, no R&F or GS additions. I guess they feel like they've exhausted what can be done with the base mechanics.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Krazyface posted:

I once heard (in some thread, but it feels convincing) that this is because they don't want to release DLCs that are reliant on other DLCs. So, if they were to release a scenario pack now, it should only have civs that use the base mechanics, no R&F or GS additions. I guess they feel like they've exhausted what can be done with the base mechanics.

Ahh that makes sense I guess although other companies manage it. I've no idea what size or skill the Civ teams are nowadays though.

I'm going to say I had no idea Levy was even a thing and I've played about 40 hours of Civ6.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL6wlTDPiPU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

There is a live stream going on right now that was intended to show off canals. But the save game they are using to show off canals started 7 technologies away from the technology required for canals.

So they are probably not going to get to show canals in their canal live stream.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
is civ vi still getting updated

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

hubris.height posted:

nah

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

hell yes, consequence-free war crimes

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

hubris.height posted:

No, sadly, VI is not getting updated at all. We're totally not getting another large game-mechanic updating expansion in February. :v:

It's cheap and game-y, but if it works and finally lets me prune douchebag neighbors back without the world going "Oh you dared to defend yourself? HAVE AT THEE!" I will be so damned glad.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Alkydere posted:

It's cheap and game-y, but if it works and finally lets me prune douchebag neighbors back without the world going "Oh you dared to defend yourself? HAVE AT THEE!" I will be so damned glad.

Frankly I love stuff like this where all the numbers involving diplomacy are clearly laid out and are able to be calculated so we know what's going on. This even shows on turns where the actions were done which is nice. Granted this is just a start, need more info to see where this goes, but I like the look of it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

I like the math.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

seems good

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cynic Jester posted:

I like the math.

That screen really should grey out grievances that don't count anymore.

Another great information screen by Firaxis.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Here's some other stuff that can be inferred from the stream:
  • Stockholm city-state replaced by Bologna, suggests Sweden civ.
  • Tech tree has been rejiggered so military tactics is no longer a dead end; there's a new tech, Buttresses, in between Shipbuilding and Cartography to stop the Classical -> Renaissance jump.
  • Some units have had their strategic resource requirements changed. Frigates require Niter (weakens a frigate rush), Knights require Horses.
  • Military engineers build railroads and mountain tunnels.
  • Unit production policy cards are now "X era and earlier" rather than just the two most recent.
That last change is one that bugged me for a while so I'm glad they finally did it.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Mountain tunnels don't get mentioned as often as canals do, but they seem right up there as something you wonder why they hadn't done it sooner. We get unit warping with airports, we should have similar advances for land and sea travel.

The other changes make sense, but they also highlight some weird design choices like Military Tactics being entirely a dead-end tech or knights not requiring horses.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Stromboli posted:

Mountain tunnels don't get mentioned as often as canals do, but they seem right up there as something you wonder why they hadn't done it sooner. We get unit warping with airports, we should have similar advances for land and sea travel.

The other changes make sense, but they also highlight some weird design choices like Military Tactics being entirely a dead-end tech or knights not requiring horses.

I always figured that knights didn't require Horses under the assumption that the resource was ubiquitous and universally available by that point. Same with all the modern units not requiring niter since it's no longer the limiting factor in production.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Herewaard posted:

I always figured that knights didn't require Horses under the assumption that the resource was ubiquitous and universally available by that point. Same with all the modern units not requiring niter since it's no longer the limiting factor in production.

except cavalry comes later and requires horses again :ssh:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Knights as landed gentry and provide their own horses.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ghost Stromboli posted:

A brief glimpse of the tech tree during the last video showed it was not anymore.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm really not sure about how builders work in this game

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Very important information from the Well of Souls update hawks:

Moai
"Moai provide +1 Culture, +1 Culture for every 2 adjacent Moai, +2 Culture if on or adjacent to a Volcanic Soil tile. +1 Culture if on or adjacent to a Coast or Lake tile. Additional Culture and Tourism as you advance through the Civics and Technology tree. Can be built on Plains, Plains Hills, Grassland, Grassland Hills, or Volcanic Soil. Cannot be placed adjacent to a Woods or Rainforest tile."
Notes: This improvement is enabled by becoming suzerain of the Rapa Nui city-state.

Definitely gonna clear cut the Amazon to have a garbage city that produces nothing but culture.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 1, 2018

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Very important information from the Well of Souls update hawks:

Moai
"Moai provide +1 Culture, +1 Culture for every 2 adjacent Moai, +2 Culture if on or adjacent to a Volcanic Soil tile. +1 Culture if on or adjacent to a Coast or Lake tile. Additional Culture and Tourism as you advance through the Civics and Technology tree. Can be built on Plains, Plains Hills, Grassland, Grassland Hills, or Volcanic Soil. Cannot be placed adjacent to a Woods or Rainforest tile."
Notes: This improvement is enabled by becoming suzerain of the Rapa Nui city-state.

Definitely gonna clear cut the Amazon to have a garbage city that produces nothing but culture.

If I'm going for a Cultural victory, you can bet your rear end I *will* clear out the Amazon to get that poo poo.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

fridge corn posted:

I'm really not sure about how builders work in this game

The main difference to previous games is that builders now have a limited number of charges. Each charge can be used to improve one tile (eg quarry, mine etc) to increase tile yields and gain access to strategic/luxury resources. Or harvest one resource - remove a (eg forest, stone) from the map for a large one-off bonus of yield. You'll need to research particular techs before you can do most of these things (mines require mining etc).

A good rule of thumb is to improve strategic/luxury resources first. Then either build mines on hills for extra production, or harvest forest/stone to build things quicker.

Some civs like China, have special extra things they can do with builders.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

HappyCamperGL posted:

The main difference to previous games is that builders now have a limited number of charges. Each charge can be used to improve one tile (eg quarry, mine etc) to increase tile yields and gain access to strategic/luxury resources. Or harvest one resource - remove a (eg forest, stone) from the map for a large one-off bonus of yield. You'll need to research particular techs before you can do most of these things (mines require mining etc).

A good rule of thumb is to improve strategic/luxury resources first. Then either build mines on hills for extra production, or harvest forest/stone to build things quicker.

Some civs like China, have special extra things they can do with builders.

Yeah I get all that I'm just not sure I like it compared to how builders always worked

I feel like I have to constantly be spamming builders

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
I only played the original, and enjoyed the planning required in the interaction between builder charges, juggling policy slots (that give +builder production or +charges) and eurekas (there are many that require some number of tile improvements).

Previous civ games were just about improving all your tiles, best tile first. I find Civ6 to be quite a lot deeper.
But just building the basic builder without any bonuses is a drag and inefficient yeah

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Just a shame that the military engineers were implemented so badly. Does anyone use them?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Marmaduke! posted:

Just a shame that the military engineers were implemented so badly. Does anyone use them?

They cost more than a builder and can build a whopping two roads or a mostly useless fort/airport so uh no.

I don't understand why you'd need a military engineer to build a railroad.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Builders are good and they tie your land development to your production in a mechanically neat way.

I've used Military Engineers to tidy up some roads a couple times, but they're really awful and it's a huge waste of resources since they'll put down two tiles of road and be spent. I've never found a use for airstrips or missile silos.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah I made a ME once and I thought considering they cost 5 gold to upkeep that would be the price to pay for unlimited roads but when he disappeared after the second road I was flabbergasted. I think I've seen the AI use them, a bit of a trap choice that makes things easier on human players...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I've pretty much only ever used engineers to pick up a couple eurekas. Maybe once I actually used an airstrip? I don't think it actually made a difference though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Straight White Shark posted:

I've pretty much only ever used engineers to pick up a couple eurekas. Maybe once I actually used an airstrip? I don't think it actually made a difference though.

There was one game where I was basically bombing the poo poo out of everyone and I had so many planes I built some airstrips for better launching points and to create more space for them