Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Gaz-L posted:

The game opens with the old Marvel Studios ident. They're trying very hard to brand this as "a Marvel movie, but it's a game".

Down to Stan Lee's last cameo :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Down to Stan Lee's last cameo :rip:

Stan's recorded cameos up until Avengers 4.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
He showed up in Wreck It Ralph 2

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

hiddenriverninja posted:

My one pet peeve is that the music leans heavily on Elfman's Raimi score, and there are some cues that remind me of the theme from Avengers.

I was actually wondering if anyone else thought that, but I kept forgetting to mention it. There are a lot of idle music cues as you go around the city that sound almost like the big Avengers theme.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wanderer posted:

I was actually wondering if anyone else thought that, but I kept forgetting to mention it. There are a lot of idle music cues as you go around the city that sound almost like the big Avengers theme.

There's pieces that sound like the Raimi score, the ASM score, and the homecoming score. It's a big all things Spider-Man score.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1068264605334429696

How much you wanna bet they're introducing a trailer for the Avengers game?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also a rumor that Rocksteady's next game will be announced there and will be a Superman game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1068274367002480646

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They're right about Obra Dinn being amazing too.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
G a m e s a s a s e r v i c e

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Games as a service? No thanks. I'm gonna pass on GaaS.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

What does games as a service mean?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

It depends, it can be used in a few different ways, but it means they intend it to be an ongoing thing rather than a one-in-done sort of thing. It means it will probably have some sort of pay element, either ongoing DLC or some sort of microtransaction stuff combined with occasional content/story updates.

It doesn't necessarily have to be bad but it's understandable that it would be a warning sign for people.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Continuing payments rather than a one-off purchase. Can be through subscriptions or regular content releases or microtransactions etc.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Loot boxes

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Cocaine, but as videogames

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It means the game fuckin' sucks.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Are you familiar with Hitman 2016 (and the new Hitman 2 that just came out?)

Basically the base game is free (was free?) and you get the tutorial and first level included. Then every few weeks a new chapter, with multiple challenge modes is released at $5-$10 a pop. Or you can pre-purchase the whole package for $60 and get all the content as it's released and save a few bucks overall.

The sequel isn't terrible for this because anything you bought from the first game carries over into the sequel with updated graphics, mechanics and the like.

In this example there's no loot boxes, but rather than pre-order exclusives, there are timed exclusive missions. Day after a new level drops, here's a mission that will be run for 72 hours. Buy the level after that? Too bad.

This might be the least offensive way to do "Games as Service". Doesn't mean it won't suck or that it's not a big red flag, but it can be done and not feel like it's 100% taking advantage of you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A recent Dead or Alive game did it in the fighting genre. You get like 4 characters free and a rotating demo of another, can buy just specific characters you want or bundles etc.

Destiny 2, The Division, Wildlands are shooter examples. There it mostly just means MMO-lite.

The intent is regular content drops, and stuff like in-game limited events that keep you coming back. In practice it usually doesn't work out. I'm not sure anybody's really done it well yet.

You're only going to get lovely hot takes about it on this site, obviously.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Games as services allows companies to demand that you pay the price of a regular release and then keep paying them more money as they keep adding poo poo. A lot of the times, the poo poo they should have added should be in the base game. Also, surprise, if you don't pay for the poo poo they keep adding you're often at a competitive disadvantage.

I have little hope for the new rocksteady game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There's ways it could be great and ways it could be awful. WB don't have the best form in the past with this kinda thing which is troubling. If the rumors of it being initially Superman and Batman with other characters being added later are true then you could see it being a big open world (say, Gotham/Metropolis as separate big maps) with a story that involves both in a similar style to the Arkham games with a proper ending and then the "games as a service part" is them trying to convince you to buy subsequent "issues" of new story chapters or other characters that have their own missions/abilities/challenges. Could make it so you can play any characters for free in a couple challenges like the freeform combat/stealth stuff from the Arkham games but to play them in the main game and all of the challenges you have to buy them? Then support the game with new free poo poo to do for Batman/Superman and any characters you do have so people have a feeling of continued value even if they don't buy any of the additional poo poo?

I don't know, I assumed whatever they're making would be similar to the Arkham games which don't feel like they lend themselves to this sort of business model to me but the above would be my best guess at a positive implementation. In the Arkham games all the DLC was pretty underwhelming even when I got them on sale so didn't feel like Rocksteady had a great grasp on how to pull that stuff off. Usually games as a service model brings to mind loot (and loot boxes), grindable content, competitive multiplayer, lots of vanity options for customisation stuff. None of which really fits a licensed superhero game singleplayer thing but I guess we'll see at the game awards if the rumors it's being revealed there are true.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh, so games as a service is the new microtransaction hotness. Never heard the phrase before. So it's gonna be like when Dragon Age had someone tell you about a quest and then you find out it's paid DLC.

Looks like Rocksteady is gonna be the next studio to go from totally loved to universally hated. They were already on their way with Arkham Knight. This will just complete the journey.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Oh, so games as a service is the new microtransaction hotness. Never heard the phrase before. So it's gonna be like when Dragon Age had someone tell you about a quest and then you find out it's paid DLC.

Looks like Rocksteady is gonna be the next studio to go from totally loved to universally hated. They were already on their way with Arkham Knight. This will just complete the journey.

It's more that they're constantly updating and adding more expansions or DLC or mission packs or whatever to keep people paying more than the base game. Like, Destiny 2's first Expansion that changed a lot of stuff but also gimped the players that didn't have it, so either they sucked at the game or bought it. And then people come in and say "Yea, they screwed up a lot but now it is fixed" after two major DLCs and one Expansion that has its own Season Pass and you get why this thing works - when it hooks someone, they stay hooked.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Games as a service means they'll release it half-broken with little to no content compared to similarly-priced "full" games, then a year later it *might* actually be worth playing, but you'll still have to pay the same as you would have initially to get all the content packs. Also at launch people will tell you no, really, it's great and there's tons of content! You just have to run the daily challenges (that are content you already played) over and over to get slightly better loot/equipment so you can run the daily challenges better and no, this is DEFINITELY not grinding.

(No, I didn't like Destiny 2.)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
The icing on the cake is that Destiny 2 base game has been given away for free on multiple platforms so they can hook up more naive people in their model.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Basically, it's a broad term that can mean something like GTA or Red Dead Online where there's a robust single player but literally no thought given to solo players after launch (which makes sense from the publisher/developer side, because solo players want a finite experience, usually, so won't pay indefinitely), something like Destiny, Anthem or The Division where it's basically an MMO with some lip service paid to "Oh, you can totally play it for the story", things like DOA or Killer Instinct, or even Hitman where you get a taste for free and can invest as much or as little as you want and get content that works on it's own like new maps or characters, or things like the new Assassin's Creed (at best) or Shadow of War(at worst) where they try and drip feed in new content to keep players engaged and throw loot boxes as a pseudo-MMO element.

It's where loot boxes meet season passes and map packs

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In software it means stuff you used to be able to buy and now have to subscribe to.

Since games can't exactly do that they replace the subscription part with microtransactions and paid content drops, mostly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3. NINTENDO SWITCH EXCLUSIVE.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1070863445468139521

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress they just announced Ultimate Alliance 3

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's Team Ninja

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

WHO- awwww

Gonna be able to fit like 3 enemies on screen at once.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Holy gently caress they just announced Ultimate Alliance 3

And mother-loving Lockjaw is in it.

Probably as a playable character, since I'm willing to bet everyone else in that picture is playable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

WHO- awwww

Gonna be able to fit like 3 enemies on screen at once.

It's not the Wii. The Switch is a decently powerful machine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eh, it's literally an android tablet CPU from 4 years ago.

Graphics are nothing special though so it should be alright.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
All I ask for is some good rear end alternate costumes. That was the #1 thing on a long list of things that was worse in UA2 than UA1. Maybe Spider-Man PS4 has spoiled me on alternate costumes, but if we could do 4 per character on the PS2 I dare to dream we can at least match that over a decade later.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Stupid loving monkey paw.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I've tried so hard not to buy a loving Switch. Then they do this.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh man, I love how comic booky it looks. I'm hyped.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wanna play as Squirrel Girl and Kamala

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Looks like poo poo visually, but the gameplay looks maybe okay.