Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

amigolupus posted:

Is there even a way to rehabilitate Adult Beast at this point, outside of killing him permanently? S.W.O.R.D. was the best version of Beast, going back to him being the fun guy in the group. So it's a bummer how other writers turned him into a self-righteous prick who did terrible things and how it just kept escalating.

He's basically rehabilitated now, in that everybody forgot what a giant dick he was being for like 10 years, including the thing where *checks notes* 2 years ago where he was ready to betray the X-Men to the Inhumans.

He's still not fun, but he's no longer Literally The Worst. Which is kind of a shame, I would have liked to see him go full Dark Beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't want Scott back, because suddenly Jean will become Scott's Girlfriend again because people can't loving let that go and let her be her own character.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

I don't want Scott back, because suddenly Jean will become Scott's Girlfriend again because people can't loving let that go and let her be her own character.

It is sad to watch all of Tom Taylor's work go up in smoke.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

It is sad to watch all of Tom Taylor's work go up in smoke.

They touch Gabby and we riot.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

twistedmentat posted:

What about all that time when Scott and Emma were a thing? That's a status quo I wouldn't mind returning to.

Honestly though, I want a book and team to last long enough that someone can build a new status quo. It's been nothing but short runs and revolving doors forever.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How's UXM going?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Teenage Fansub posted:

How's UXM going?

The word I keep wanting to use is "overstuffed."

It's also bizarre how everyone seems to have decided that Jamie Madrox is the official whipping boy of the X-Men line. I know he showed his rear end a lot in Rosenberg's Multiple Man mini, but it still feels like too much of a swerve.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

twistedmentat posted:

I mean being his girlfriend doesn’t mean that’s all she would be. It depends on the writer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cyclops has never really been with Emma while Jean was alive.

They were psychically cheating of course, but they don't get together until after Jean dies.

So you know drat loving well they're going to mine that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So far the plot of Uncanny is that a bunch of Madrox clones were attacking because Legion made them do it because he wanted to warn them about...a bunch of random Horsemen who we've never seen before. I mean we've seen these characters before but the fact that they're Horsemen is completely new.

It's...not the worst or most boring X-event that Marvel has been farting out at us lately, though absolutely not for lack of trying.

(Also, take two more "A telepath loudly declares that they can't read Madrox's mind" shots)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Being weekly helps. Legion was trying to keep another Age of Apocalypse from happening. Except this is the Age of X-Man.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Also the X-Mansion gets destroyed again, literally out of nowhere, because zero people at the pen have any self-awareness anymore I guess.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I still have those big Age of Apocalypse trades on my shelf, I should read that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It was cut short and riddled with crossovers by [insert everything wrong about Marvel editorial in the 2010s] but I really liked the hook/overall feel of Dennis Hopeless and Mark Bagley [and a bunch of fill-in artists]'s All New X-Men using the time-displaced teenagers.

It was after Secret Wars and the basic pitch was that they all ditched the entire X-Men crew because they recognized it as a shitshow and rebelling against what they saw their 'future'/present lives devolving into, whether it's being cast as a villain or morally compromised or brainwashed or dead. They were joined by Laura and Evan Sabah Nur/Kid Apocalypse, two other people not entirely thrilled with what they'd been told their Destiny was, plus Idie Okonkwo who had the whole "raised really strictly Catholic and was convinced for awhile she was possessed by Satan because of her mutant powers". The subtext was a bunch of teenagers roadtripping around rebelling desperately against the idea of turning into their parents/adult selves. Plus in terms of recycling concepts it had a fun initial trend of revisiting *early* X-Men villains (Toad, Blob, etc.) to contribute to the "what the gently caress happened when everyone grew up?" vibe.

It never got the room to breathe that Hopeless's run on Spider-Woman did, it had the potential. That alone almost made me willing to believe that the whole "bringing in the original five X-Men as teenagers" wasn't a bad idea, but Bendis didn't really do much with it and Hopeless's run was basically "six issues of solid set-up, then the shoehorned Apocalypse Wars semi-crossover, then four issues, then Inhumans vs. X-Men, then a wrap-up issue.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

It never got the room to breathe that Hopeless's run on Spider-Woman did, it had the potential. That alone almost made me willing to believe that the whole "bringing in the original five X-Men as teenagers" wasn't a bad idea, but Bendis didn't really do much with it and Hopeless's run was basically "six issues of solid set-up, then the shoehorned Apocalypse Wars semi-crossover, then four issues, then Inhumans vs. X-Men, then a wrap-up issue.

Yeah, that OGN Hopeless did with McKelvie really showed he could have written the O5 entertainingly, especially Jean. But... vague gesture at the rest of E&C's post here.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
So are the writers just avoiding that Psylocke is now back in her "original" body? I haven't seen much changes to her even in Uncanny 3. Is her telepathy better or not/does she still have her ninja skills or not. Seems like a bad choice to do another body switch and not do something with it. Seems like they did it just to do it and not change anything else.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

nunsexmonkrock posted:

So are the writers just avoiding that Psylocke is now back in her "original" body? I haven't seen much changes to her even in Uncanny 3. Is her telepathy better or not/does she still have her ninja skills or not. Seems like a bad choice to do another body switch and not do something with it. Seems like they did it just to do it and not change anything else.

I'd guess it's just partially that the body swap was tangled up in 30-ish years of baroque plotting and an increasingly bad look for Marvel so somebody decided to just sweep it under the rug, rather than someone having a story that their soul was burning to tell that could only be told with a white Psylocke.

Edge & Christian posted:

It was cut short and riddled with crossovers by [insert everything wrong about Marvel editorial in the 2010s] but I really liked the hook/overall feel of Dennis Hopeless and Mark Bagley [and a bunch of fill-in artists]'s All New X-Men using the time-displaced teenagers.

It was after Secret Wars and the basic pitch was that they all ditched the entire X-Men crew because they recognized it as a shitshow and rebelling against what they saw their 'future'/present lives devolving into, whether it's being cast as a villain or morally compromised or brainwashed or dead. They were joined by Laura and Evan Sabah Nur/Kid Apocalypse, two other people not entirely thrilled with what they'd been told their Destiny was, plus Idie Okonkwo who had the whole "raised really strictly Catholic and was convinced for awhile she was possessed by Satan because of her mutant powers". The subtext was a bunch of teenagers roadtripping around rebelling desperately against the idea of turning into their parents/adult selves. Plus in terms of recycling concepts it had a fun initial trend of revisiting *early* X-Men villains (Toad, Blob, etc.) to contribute to the "what the gently caress happened when everyone grew up?" vibe.

Oh yeah, that was pretty good. I totally forgot both Apocalypse Wars and Inhumans vs. X-Men existed though. How much of the past five years or so have the X-Men wasted in anodyne cross-overs and fighting either nanomachines or bland omnimutants? I was flipping through Gillen's run the other night and it was shocking to remember how purposeful and focused the tile felt even if in the broader view it was maybe just floundering a little more elegantly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

I'd guess it's just partially that the body swap was tangled up in 30-ish years of baroque plotting and an increasingly bad look for Marvel so somebody decided to just sweep it under the rug, rather than someone having a story that their soul was burning to tell that could only be told with a white Psylocke.

Oh, that explains one of the louder CG tools' 'Psylocke is Asian' twitter handle. What a hill to die on.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Archyduchess posted:

But where is Kwannon/Revanche now that it was teased that she was back too?

(Edit: so yeah just guessing they just wanted Betsy Braddocks confusing history just to get even more confusing.)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I mean, they never really did anything with it in the first place. I think Remender kind of approached doing something interesting with Psylocke's approach to her body in Uncanny X-Force but it didn't really come to fruition. It's the sort of weird plot point that would have been reversed an arc or two after it happened if the 90s hadn't been the perfect time for Asian bikini ninjas and eventually Betsy was one of those for longer than she was a British loungewear lady and inertia kicked it. It's not like Jean Grey spent 10 years running around with tentacle arms.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Rochallor posted:

I mean, they never really did anything with it in the first place. I think Remender kind of approached doing something interesting with Psylocke's approach to her body in Uncanny X-Force but it didn't really come to fruition. It's the sort of weird plot point that would have been reversed an arc or two after it happened if the 90s hadn't been the perfect time for Asian bikini ninjas and eventually Betsy was one of those for longer than she was a British loungewear lady and inertia kicked it. It's not like Jean Grey spent 10 years running around with tentacle arms.

Well Jean did spend many years with a fire bird with her....... ugggh comics HAHA.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I remember a relatively recent interview or podcast where it was heavily implied there were future plans for Revanche in the works, at least, but nothing is certain in this industry. Maybe next year they will try to do something more with her and Psylocke.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the ending of Mystery in Madripoor where Psylocke got her old body back also showed Kwannon alive in her old body again too so presumably they told Zub they had plans for that in the future but its comic books y'all, who knows

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So my theory about Logan being inside the World is busted with Jean and Kitty and the rest being able to go find him.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Uncanny X-Men is extravagantly, almost decadently bad, and I think in a way even more offensive than Secret Empire because at least Secret Empire had a point it was failing to make. Positioning the X-Men as the stalwart defenders of the status quo is ludicrously stupid-- a mutant book should not be the most reactionary comic I've read this year, but here we are, I guess. In 2018 I'm not going to be rooting for the team trying to stop the oil industry from being dismantled. Spoilers for issue #4 ahead:

Even on a basic storytelling level its both listless and confusing. A shirtless Angel with a weird Krusty the Clown mohawk appears with shoddily designed new versions of Magneto, the Blob, and Omega Red to blow up the mansion (which correct me if I'm wrong was currently already blown up in whatever mini-series has Teen Cable and Ahab running around) and everyone acts like this is a novel and startling betrayal. Why does Magneto suddenly have a luxurious flowing beard? Who are these teams? Is there a reason everyone is treating the New X-Men kids like garbage except to amplify an otherwise nonsensical tension? Nate Grey mopes around engaging in that most X-Men of hobbies, ruminating and giving extremely vague snatches of Plan to people. Legion is there too, his motivations inconsistent from issue to issue, which I guess is ok because he's sO cRaZy. In X-Men: Red Jean Grey is an exciting and dynamic character, with probably one of the more mature and thoughtful takes on the "we're the proactive version of the X-Men" trope I can think of. Here, she's like some gestalt of 90s Jean Grey and 90s Cyclops-- all of the wet blanket disciplinarian without any of the personality.

I feel like aside from real gems like X-23 and other Laura books and things like Red this line is in more dire shape than it has been in the last dire decade or so. I can't see any reason why anyone would want to write this garbled, retrogressive filler when so many excellent comics are being made.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 5, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I stopped reading, but I suppose Beard Magneto and all them are from whatever the Age of X-Man alternate world/timeline'll be.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I stopped reading, but I suppose Beard Magneto and all them are from whatever the Age of X-Man alternate world/timeline'll be.

That would make the most sense, but all of the characters are acting so gormlessly shocked by this in a way that suggests that they've never heard of alternate universes before (aside from the alternate universe that Legion keeps expositing to them about). I can't quite articulate or put my finger on what feels so clumsy about this-- I guess it's like if I went to see a movie set in the 80s, where a bad guy gets away in a car, and all of the heroes were standing around gobsmacked going "I don't know, he got into some sort of gleaming metal canister and just took off at the speed of a comet. I've never seen anything like that before."

I guess it's not just that it feels like a tired rehash of X-Men tropes-- horseman, alternate versions of characters, brand-new anti-mutant pundits, a cure/vaccine for the X-gene, etc. etc. etc.-- but that it both treats these as novel and writes them poorly.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

x-men holiday special is pretty good though :)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I am convinced, and have been convinced for a long time, that Matthew Rosenberg really dislikes the X-Men. Even if he's so completely non-self-aware that he thinks of himself as an X-Men fan, everything he's actually written about them reads as if he thinks they are the most unpleasant, repellent group of characters around. I genuinely think that his take on them has been at least as incompetent as someone like Austen's, despite being technically better written and without, y'know, being as laughable.

(And yeah I know there are three writers on this book (lmao) but Rosenberg's voice definitely comes across most distinctive to me)

This issue does the thing that bad books and writers do where they'll pinpoint a recognizable flaw in these characters and this franchise and then, instead of fixing or developing that flaw in any way, they'll hammer in on that flaw and blow it up unironically so that, at the end of the day, the thing that you disliked about the characters is an even bigger problem now than it was before. This is the "Why don't the Avengers help mutants?" problem, it's also the "Why doesn't Batman kill the Joker?" thing, and it's the "Steve Rogers is so out of date he doesn't know what Myspace is" problem. As in, they're not genuine character flaws, they're just examples of lazy writing repeated often enough that it becomes a problem for the setting.

Like, the X-Men do treat their younger members badly. This is objectively true, this is canon, this consistently happens over time. This series seems to recognize that this is a problem that the X-Men have. So then, instead of addressing the problem so that it might not be a problem anymore, all it does is double down on the situation until it practically turns into a parody of how things were in the first place. They don't seem to recognize that people do not like it when the adult X-Men treat the younger ones like poo poo, and that the way to fix this is not to keep on doing the thing people don't like, but just...y'know...stop doing it.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I love how you didn't even bring up that Madrox, who in last week's issue swore he'd kill Legion for what he has done to him, just agreed to go along with his plan on the word of a bunch of kids. This book is so incompetent it's painful. This book is written like no X-Men comic got published after 1998. It's a throwback to the era when the X-Men were at their lamest.

(Also: while I'd love to pin it on Rosenberg, I feel pretty confident saying the most egregious parts of today's issue are actually Brisson, a hypothesis I'm basing on the fact it's the storyline that involves Glob Herman, which is his particular pet character)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ElNarez posted:

It's a throwback to the era when the X-Men were at their lamest.

In fairness, that would be circa 1972. :v:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Alaois posted:

x-men holiday special is pretty good though :)

There were some amazing pages in that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

I am convinced, and have been convinced for a long time, that Matthew Rosenberg really dislikes the X-Men. Even if he's so completely non-self-aware that he thinks of himself as an X-Men fan, everything he's actually written about them reads as if he thinks they are the most unpleasant, repellent group of characters around. I genuinely think that his take on them has been at least as incompetent as someone like Austen's, despite being technically better written and without, y'know, being as laughable.

(And yeah I know there are three writers on this book (lmao) but Rosenberg's voice definitely comes across most distinctive to me)

This issue does the thing that bad books and writers do where they'll pinpoint a recognizable flaw in these characters and this franchise and then, instead of fixing or developing that flaw in any way, they'll hammer in on that flaw and blow it up unironically so that, at the end of the day, the thing that you disliked about the characters is an even bigger problem now than it was before. This is the "Why don't the Avengers help mutants?" problem, it's also the "Why doesn't Batman kill the Joker?" thing, and it's the "Steve Rogers is so out of date he doesn't know what Myspace is" problem. As in, they're not genuine character flaws, they're just examples of lazy writing repeated often enough that it becomes a problem for the setting.

Like, the X-Men do treat their younger members badly. This is objectively true, this is canon, this consistently happens over time. This series seems to recognize that this is a problem that the X-Men have. So then, instead of addressing the problem so that it might not be a problem anymore, all it does is double down on the situation until it practically turns into a parody of how things were in the first place. They don't seem to recognize that people do not like it when the adult X-Men treat the younger ones like poo poo, and that the way to fix this is not to keep on doing the thing people don't like, but just...y'know...stop doing it.

So glad they're canning X-Men: Red so this can be the flagship X-Book.

God I hope Age of X is fun.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I'm not one of those X-23 fans who hates how she's started speaking more "typically" for a teenager since ANW (even in Marvel Time, she's been around fellow teens for a long time, plus Gabby would be a strong influence!) but I can't get over how bad her lines in response to the Megalodon were.

Also, gotta agree with BrianWilly even while recognising it's dangerous terrain to counter someone's personal belief about liking the X-Men! I've liked and hated Rosenberg's work on various Marvel titles, but, while he is undoubtedly a talented writer, I don't want him anywhere near the X-Men anymore. If you compare Kelly Thompson's work with Rogue & Gambit, and her love for those characters, versus how Rosenberg's "affection" for Havok and Multiple Man* comes out it's night & day in terms of embracing their histories while improving their viability and "stock", for lack of a better term.
Beyond the occasional quality joke that is clearly Kelly Thompson's contribution, I am not really feeling Disassembled at all beyond the art. Pere Perez especially killed it this issue, and that just makes the odd writing of the New X-Men (since Armor has kind of become early New X-Men Surge?) even more disappointing.

*Like Dead Souls, this was, for me, both entertaining and bullshit towards the characters involved, if that makes sense?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Metalshark posted:

*Like Dead Souls, this was, for me, both entertaining and bullshit towards the characters involved, if that makes sense?

This makes total sense to me. Dead Souls was really engaging after the first issue or so and its take on most of the characters involved wasn't totally wrong, so it got a lot of slack from me for being a fun book with vaguely recognizable versions of my favorite characters.

I'll defend fairly large stretches of the line up through Secret Wars; there's plenty to love in the Utopia era, I think Bendis' runs on Uncanny and especially All-New were quite good, and Gillen's run is probably my favorite since Claremont. But post SW, the flagship books have just been dire. The only good flagship book since then was probably Hopeless' All-New run. Everything has just been endless rehashes of rehashes.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rochallor posted:

I'll defend fairly large stretches of the line up through Secret Wars; there's plenty to love in the Utopia era, I think Bendis' runs on Uncanny and especially All-New were quite good, and Gillen's run is probably my favorite since Claremont. But post SW, the flagship books have just been dire. The only good flagship book since then was probably Hopeless' All-New run. Everything has just been endless rehashes of rehashes.

Messiah Complex through Second Coming is probably my favourite X-Era, maybe because it was almost the first stuff I read (I started with X-Factor Investigations, which is why I'm so salty with how Madrox has been treated lately). Gillen's run was great (even if, if I recall correctly, it was crippled by Land art), Bendis' interwoven dual-flagship books started really strong and were rear end-awful by the time they ended, and Blue/Gold have been awful since the get-go. It's been years since the "main" X-Men book/s was the good one, but there's always been at least one really good side-book in the background so I haven't minded. Sucks to lose Red but I'm confident something else good will take its place. Mr. and Mrs. X should pivot to Rogue and Gambit becoming P.I.s (they keep making P.I. books, and they keep being good, and then they ditch them!) with their plucky assistant Rockslide trying to learn the trade. You can have that one for free, Marvel. I got a million of them, but they all involve P.I.s and Rockslide.

I was excited when Brisson got picked up by Marvel 'cause his aborted book "The Violent" was pretty good, and I like how he's trying to make Glob a main character cause there needs to be more "non-passing" main characters in the X-Men. But has he written ANYTHING good for Marvel yet beyond one issue here or there?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I thought Brisson's Old Man Logan had a few bright spots; I actually think of Glob as his pet character since he slotted him into the "sidekick/surrogate child" role for Logan that is normally reserved for Kitty/Jubilee/etc. throughout the run. He did some fun stuff with Bullseye, I'm remembering specifically luring Logan into a Whole Foods and then throwing essential oils and stuff at his face to completely overwhelm his tracking sense. But overall, nothing he's done has really grabbed me or established him as a clear voice I want to follow from book to book, I mainly kept reading Old Man Logan due to inertia from Lemire's run.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Maybe Brisson can bring some of his fun ideas to his new X-Force book

hopefully

please god

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'd have probably read this book.

https://twitter.com/kristaferanka/status/1071173879559680000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Holy cripes, Monet is *@(%ing huge.