Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

lol what a piece of poo poo, no wonder he got owned by a geriatric social democrat.

Pretty sure he also made huge moves to privatize Pemex and the water supply. They liken him to George Bush especially on the intellect front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i dunno why people just skip over the chart i edited. the republicans impeached a popular president in a blatantly partisan manner. even completely ignoring what trump did or didn't do with russia, firing comey alone was several orders of magnitude worse than what clinton did. he's been in violation of the emoluments clause since he got into office. the dems just had the biggest wave of any party in history (the gop lost seats in the midterm prior to impeaching clinton). he's historically unpopular.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Everyone in the world hates Trump, especially non US citizens. Why the gently caress do politicians worldwide keep tripping over their own dicks to bend the knee to him?

Because he's the President of the United States and he has lots of nukes, which he might use if he gets cranky.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Looks like Pelosi was able to convince several Democrats to vote "present" instead of voting against her on the floor. So, she'll probably be elected speaker fairly easily.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/419013-how-voting-present-could-secure-the-speakership-for-nancy-pelosi

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Because he's the President of the United States and he has lots of nukes, which he might use if he gets cranky. can still enrich people who flatter him while he holds office.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

thegalagakid posted:

Pretty sure he also made huge moves to privatize Pemex and the water supply. They liken him to George Bush especially on the intellect front.

drat what a dick. I need to learn more about Mexican politics.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Because he's the President of the United States and he has lots of nukes, which he might use if he gets cranky.

Right wing governments globally look at Trump and think that his method of campaigning is the one to emulate. They borrow US talking points about appealing to 'the base!' Any day now the base will save them!

Then they get annihilated at the ballot box. Keep an eye on Australia over the next few months in particular.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Trump and Abe are meeting right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgZeL-HmTUw

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Everyone in the world hates Trump, especially non US citizens. Why the gently caress do politicians worldwide keep tripping over their own dicks to bend the knee to him?

Useful idiot. If you have an easily manipulatable narcissist -- or at least a gullible idiot -- as your competition, you don't sound the alarm and ask for someone more competent to be installed. You take advantage of the situation as best you can for your own benefit.

Russia is attacking the Ukraine, Saudi's are assassinating journalists, and Canada is protecting LGBT rights internationally. Everyone is exploiting Trump for their benefit.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Trump currently negotiating to make anime real

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jonallendc/status/1068548864498634754

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

we're all trump down here.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

At this point this administration is going to have this clip tattooed on to me for all time:

https://youtu.be/VsJc2ZhbXIg

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Abe is super right-wing right? That's not surprising.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

DandyLion posted:

I think most of us agree that the main benefit of Mueller's report and bringing to light all of Trump's malfeasance isn't because it might get him impeached (because you are certainly right, it won't), but rather that it makes voting for him unpalatable enough that fence sitters and moderates are swayed not to vote for him again as a 'F-U' to the establishment come the next election.

Also it ain't worth a God drat thing, but for me to say ”i loving told you so” to every chud out there I know.

And then watch them change their bullshit to ”well it doesn't matter that he's colluding/treasonous” or ” but Obama...”

Oxyclean posted:

I'm glad there's at least one thing my government is doing right.

e: I've also gotten the vibe Trump is generally apathetic about this issue - if he knew about it he probably just forgot it was his party's policy to be against it, and thought it was a win when Canada pushed it as a term since he felt like he wasn't losing anything by accepting it?

I think you'll find that Trump never signed it.

Or at least that's what his press secretary/his Twitter will say.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

we're all trump down here.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1068549920964128768

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I remember the report that Trump would call Abe in the middle of the night Japanese time and he has to be explained the time difference lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i saw that NPR 'don jr in trouble' story posted here and thought it sounded wrong, this confirms

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/1068547867990786048

don jr. is in trouble, but it's because he told a story consistent with Cohen's earlier cover - that everything related to trump tower moscow stopped because of the campaign, after the letter of intent was sent in 2016.

there's still some lies there, but they're not as insanely blatant as the NPR "nothing happened after 2014" headline

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are some offices better than others?

It's my understanding you want to be as close as possible to Louie Gohmert, as he regularly barbeques ribs on his balcony.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Easy Diff posted:

It's my understanding you want to be as close as possible to Louie Gohmert, as he regularly barbeques ribs on his balcony.

That seems to be cancelled out by the fact you have to be near Louie Gohmert.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Does anyone doubt that if the Dems impeached Trump and the GOP Senate acquitted him that it would be portrayed as a "win" for Trump in the mainstream media?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

All of Japan is super right-wing. but much like their KitKats it's a particular Japanese flavour you don't get anywhere else

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Eh more likely because he won't be president forever. They're dealing with a country, not a person.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Radish posted:

The Republicans impeached without the Senate votes they had total control over the Federal government for 6 years. The idea that there is a political price to pay for starting the process and having it fail in the Senate has no backing in reality. Playing safe doesn't motivate voters and the Republicans are coming out in 2020 to defend Trump no matter what. The Democrats were voted in specifically to deal with Trump and "well the political reality is..." is not an excuse anyone cares about hearing or will help them whatsoever. There will never be 2/3 of the Senate in Democratic control so if the Democrats are saying they will not impeach Trump for any reason they will not be rewarded and will only take heat as not doing what they were elected to do.

I agree there is a mandate to check him, but I'm not nearly as sure about impeachment. I also agree that there's no path to a Dem supermajority in the Senate, but hopefully exposing more proof of crimes through investigations might get some Republican senators to vote for removal.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/Harlan/status/1067595264192651269

Feldegast42 posted:

Keep in mind a majority of republicans think this

It depends on how you phrase the question.

Who was president when Katrina hit? "Bush of course"
Was Obama responsible for Katrina? "It was Obungler. MAGA"

They identify the question as "are you a Republican?" and change their opinions to troll you.

Lightning Knight posted:

Yes, he's bad. But this seems like trolling.

Trump congratulated Abe on his landslide intraparty re-election.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

I read the comment from Abe as sarcastic but Trump's probably too stupid to realize he's being made fun of.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

I think Japanese politics start at super right-wing and then go to full on "Why isn't the Emperor in charge and we should have never given up China!"

And that's just the mainstream.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

If you click in on this dude's profile he's got that College Republican look where he could literally be anywhere from 7years old to mid-50s. No identifiable secondary sexual characteristics other than a receding hairline

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

eke out posted:

i saw that NPR 'don jr in trouble' story posted here and thought it sounded wrong, this confirms

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/1068547867990786048

don jr. is in trouble, but it's because he told a story consistent with Cohen's earlier cover - that everything related to trump tower moscow stopped because of the campaign, after the letter of intent was sent in 2016.

there's still some lies there, but they're not as insanely blatant as the NPR "nothing happened after 2014" headline
The moment Mueller has to indict Don Jr. and Ivanka this will become a hot war, with Donny doing everything to end this investigation. Mueller's played a very long game to get each perjurer dead to rights and it's going to be brutal.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Impeachment requires only the House. Impeachment DOESN'T necessarily require criminal behavior, either in the process (it's an entirely political process) or by tradition ("High Crimes and Misdemeanors" has been historically applied by the English parliament to legal but unacceptable behavior), but you'd need some pretty bad behavior to rise to the level of impeachment. Off the top of my head, you'd probably need something like refusing to perform any duties or fleeing the country.

Once impeachment occurs, the Senate Trial MUST happen, with representatives from the House acting as the prosecutors. So, just by the nature of it, you're not going to get impeachment proceedings until you've got a strong enough case for 5-10 Reps to stand in the Senate and make a case for it.

I believe impeachment is pretty likely at this point, but removal from office is, and should be, very unlikely.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

If I were a leader of a country I would certainly flatter Trump. There's only upside.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you click in on this dude's profile he's got that College Republican look where he could literally be anywhere from 7years old to mid-50s. No identifiable secondary sexual characteristics other than a receding hairline

Harlan also got busted a year or so ago sending thirsty DMs to some lady who wasn’t his wife asking her to sit on his dick while they were both at CPAC. What a smooth operator.

To be fair though, Phillipe Reins is a maniac who probably eats stray cats.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Munkeymon posted:

I agree there is a mandate to check him, but I'm not nearly as sure about impeachment. I also agree that there's no path to a Dem supermajority in the Senate, but hopefully exposing more proof of crimes through investigations might get some Republican senators to vote for removal.

I agree that there's no reason to rush. But if you're at the point where there's a public record from the Special Counsel that Trump would be indicted if not for his status as the President of the United States, the party can't sit back and refuse to act. We certainly may never get to that point, but if we do it's pretty much an obligation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/1068512600227553283

selec posted:

Harlan also got busted a year or so ago sending thirsty DMs to some lady who wasn’t his wife asking her to sit on his dick while they were both at CPAC. What a smooth operator.

it's always weird and creepy when guys do that but it's especially weird to me when it's a guy that looks like that. i mean dude look at yourself you think any woman on earth is gonna respond to that.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

This is literally defamation in addition to being a Hatch Act violation.

https://twitter.com/SecretaryZinke/status/1068550873981362176

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

EngineerJoe posted:

If I were a leader of a country I would certainly flatter Trump. There's only upside.

This is where I would struggle. I'm incapable of rear end kissing to people I loathe, so I'd come off as super insincere and sarcastic, even downright hostile. Then I'd drink until the shame went away.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/1068512600227553283

it's always weird and creepy when guys do that but it's especially weird to me when it's a guy that looks like that. i mean dude look at yourself you think any woman on earth is gonna respond to that.

What is even the point of editing this article? Are there hordes of people searching for month old hot takes for some reason?

eke out posted:

This is literally defamation in addition to being a Hatch Act violation.

https://twitter.com/SecretaryZinke/status/1068550873981362176

What statement is he referring to?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Your Taint posted:

This is where I would struggle. I'm incapable of rear end kissing to people I loathe, so I'd come off as super insincere and sarcastic, even downright hostile. Then I'd drink until the shame went away.

If you can't kiss a little rear end you can't be a politician!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Countdown till freak out in 10

https://mobile.twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1067985270304194561

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

okay this is also a huge story, they have a paper trail of false statements made to the FTC investigating him

https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/1068555276821893120