Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

berenzen posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for RPGs that play well with 2? My wife and I have an itch to play pen&paper but my schedule makes it difficult to play more than just the two of us.

Pelgrane Press has adapted their GUMSHOE system to work for single-player (plus GM) gaming. Cthulhu Confidential is well received and Solo Ops is a forthcoming version of their spies-vs-vampires Night's Black Agents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

mllaneza posted:

I've never managed to play Leviathan or Prefect. I wouldn't be surprised than no one has. By the time they came out, there was no reason to trust RL games with a whole session of play, and nobody wanted to spend the time to prove that another RL game was broken.

I wouldn't be surprised. When we posted that the game seemed pretty largely forgotten we got a few photos from some old RPers still playing all of this line at conventions. There's always a few. In like 136 episodes the amount of times we didn't get at least one message from someone saying "gently caress you guys I still play this poo poo" is like, maybe three. Vanishing Point, Great War of Magellan, and The Xro Dinn Chronicles, basically.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost for The Next Project is up!

Final blogpost of the year, this time -- talking about where to expect the designs to go, in the future, as well as plans for the blog itself.
Basically, I'm going to have to buckle down and devote more of my time to working on the designs, with the main goal of getting all the DM-side aspects complete.
However, I also feel that the leveling and customization options need to expand a bit, so that will also require a good deal of attention.

If you're interested in talking about the game's designs, all goons are welcome to join the TNP Discord.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Renegade Legion is, at least, a more interesting game with historical context. It's easy to forget it had three video games, five different board games, novels, etc. FASA originally developed it to be their Star Wars game, but couldn't get the license, so they did an "original" setting instead and published it. FASA was good at pushing properties but their attempt at a spaceship equivalent of Battletech never quite caught on. Some of the spaceship rules were later recycled in Battletech products as well.

To be fair, the attitude they had for Renegade Legion is pretty much how I feel about Battletech (despite having played it a fair deal) - but then, I've probably never really gotten the appeal of most of FASA's output. They always put out products with high production values for their time, but I always felt there was kind of a uninspired, mechanical feel to most of what they did.

I love Shadowrun but AFAIK it's the only thing FASA ever put out that was very interesting.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Pope Guilty posted:

I love Shadowrun but AFAIK it's the only thing FASA ever put out that was very interesting.

Earthdawn was kind of neat.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Old Tree posted:

Earthdawn was kind of neat.
I liked it a bunch, too. I ran it from the early/mid 90's until 3e came out.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

theironjef posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. When we posted that the game seemed pretty largely forgotten we got a few photos from some old RPers still playing all of this line at conventions. There's always a few. In like 136 episodes the amount of times we didn't get at least one message from someone saying "gently caress you guys I still play this poo poo" is like, maybe three. Vanishing Point, Great War of Magellan, and The Xro Dinn Chronicles, basically.

Someone signed up to run Vanishing Point at our December monthly games meet up. That old garbage is still out there.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Does anyone else have a weird blue ribbon on the side of their screen saying "lol look at this dumb poo poo?" Anyone know why it's there?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Covok posted:

Does anyone else have a weird blue ribbon on the side of their screen saying "lol look at this dumb poo poo?" Anyone know why it's there?

It's just you

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

This is so weird.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Covok posted:

Same.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Covok posted:

This is so weird.

lol look at this dumb poo poo

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Covok posted:

This is so weird.

Private Speech posted:

ABP rule to block this, err, this poo poo:

quote:

somethingawful.com##cloudflare-app

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's a filter to block it in ublock:
forums.somethingawful.com##cloudflare-app[app="corner-ribbon"]

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

okay but like, why is it there, is today something special?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

nobody knows

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's probably just some dumb poo poo

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Lowtax remembered the forums exist and he hadn't befuddled or annoyed anyone on it recently

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Lowtax remembered the forums exist and he hadn't befuddled or annoyed anyone on it recently

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

As seen somewhere else on the forums: apparently the little banner thing is a product of the Cloudflare app and says something like "Protected By Cloudflare" as a default. I guess Lowtax decided to "customize" it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Here's the GIF that goes at the end of (almost) every System Mastery:

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1068978036119224320?s=19

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 1, 2018

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I love that I can tell he’s Canadian just by the scenery.

I have never seen that video but youtube keeps telling me to watch it. Maybe I will.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

Here's a filter to block it in ublock:
forums.somethingawful.com##cloudflare-app[app="corner-ribbon"]

thanks a lot!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Pope Guilty posted:

I think I read the MechWarrior 3rd edition book almost as many times as the Manual of the Planes. :colbert:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Xiahou Dun posted:

I love that I can tell he’s Canadian just by the scenery.

I have never seen that video but youtube keeps telling me to watch it. Maybe I will.

Dan Olson/Folding Ideas is good poo poo.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

Dan Olson/Folding Ideas is good poo poo.

I’ve watched some of his other stuff after hbomberguy featured him and have been pretty happy. I just haven’t watched that video because the mere concept of the 50 Shades of Grey movies fill me with almost fatal levels of ennui.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’ve watched some of his other stuff after hbomberguy featured him and have been pretty happy. I just haven’t watched that video because the mere concept of the 50 Shades of Grey movies fill me with almost fatal levels of ennui.
Dan's able to get into technical details when it comes to discussing films and he's done some industry work and keeps generally abreast of industry news. The videos are very good because he delves into the original fic and the books and fanfiction culture to make a very interesting multi-faceted approach to explaining just why the movies are bad. If you heard the System Mastery podcast episode about the second movie, it provides an excellent second course to explain just why they're vapid disjointed time-dilated failures of cinema. He has excellent flow and pacing to keep them going for 50ish minute videos.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Xiahou Dun posted:

Also what Hostile said above.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
They're good because he goes into technical ways the director and screenwriter of the first movie tried to quietly rebel against the author with monstrous control over the project. And it's interesting to analyze the results of a fanfic writer given final veto power over a film adaption of their poo poo.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Scarlet Heroes is specifically designed for 1 player 1 GM and is generally really well written to boot
Scarlet heroes is also mostly compatible with anything published for D&D. It is 100% compatible with the basic line of games, labrynth lord, dark dungeons, darker dungeons, and everything ever published for the d20 system. If you have a stack of modules you never got to run, Scarlet Heroes can put them to work.

Black Streams: Solo Heroes is free, online, and a good place to start.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Oh hey, rpg.net is looking pretty good after the Xenforo 2 Upgrades :)

Can't wait for SA to get started on it too!

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
only took them a week. SomethingAwful is going to explode.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So, anyone here familiar with Black Streams? Was wondering how it'd work with Pathfinder or 3.5 with a single player.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

xanthan posted:

So, anyone here familiar with Black Streams? Was wondering how it'd work with Pathfinder or 3.5 with a single player.

You could probably just apply the rules to 3.5/PF straight-up. On the one hand, it would be much easier to increase your damage rolls to the point where you're always dealing at least one, or even two, HD of damage, since even just 20 Strength would get you there.

On the other hand, most creatures in the 3.5/PF milieu use lots more HD anyway, so it'll probably wash-out.

Was there any part of the rules that you thought might be an issue?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

You could probably just apply the rules to 3.5/PF straight-up. On the one hand, it would be much easier to increase your damage rolls to the point where you're always dealing at least one, or even two, HD of damage, since even just 20 Strength would get you there.

On the other hand, most creatures in the 3.5/PF milieu use lots more HD anyway, so it'll probably wash-out.

Was there any part of the rules that you thought might be an issue?

Not specifically, just not that experienced. Could miss some glaring problems, so I thought this would be a good place to ask.

Thank you!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
So, about this (by the author of the Same Page Tool):

https://bankuei.wordpress.com/2014/05/18/a-social-truth-about-fun/

Fair, or too defeatist? It seems to make a good point, but at the same time, selling is a thing people do. And the idea that a campaign that people do want ought to “just happen” is probably a bit much?

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
I mean, they're right. If the players just aren't into the game it's extremely unlikely that you're going to be able to change that. I tried to get my group into Torchbearer because hey, I think Torchbearer's great, so why not, right? But by the third session they were sick of it. They were disinterested in it for practically all the same reasons I love it. There's nothing I could have done to change their minds, so we played something else instead.

I don't think it's a matter of selling people on the game. If they're not sold by like the first session they're probably not buying, in my experience.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, there is no point in forcing people to play something they genuinely don't want to play (as opposed to having a bit of inertia because it's new), it's a waste of everyone's time. If you can't find something that both you and your players want to play, you need to either play something different or find different players.

Part of being a good GM is understanding what your players are like and what you can and can't put in front of them as a game to play (or thematically, for that matter). My last couple of groups have been people who are into RPGs more for the social aspect and like cracking jokes a lot, and no matter how much I want to run Thou Art But A Warrior or The One Ring, I know full well that it's pointless to even try with these groups.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 5, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's not really defeatist to acknowledge that some groups and some games just don't mesh for whatever reason. It can be disappointing if you're really up to play Game A but the group wants to play Game B and won't meet you halfway, my personal opinion is that groups should at least be receptive to trying new stuff if the person generally designated as the game-runner wants to give them a shot but if they give it a shot and aren't having fun then there's no sense in forcing it. And yeah, what Lemon-Lime said in knowing your group will often give you a good idea of what you're likely to have success with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, as GM, I try to tailor the game to the players, while letting them know which parts I'm doing for me (minis, it's the minis.)