Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

GreyjoyBastard posted:

[Beasts and Exploration: Supporter Edition] is just the banner, they're separate on steam and presumably separate there
Thanks, that was sort of confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm getting a small steam patch new this morning, any idea what it does?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I made a Nachzehrer trophy necklace and I'm already in love with this DLC.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Covski posted:

So I learned that if you go up against alps in forests with an early-mid game company, you simply just die. Those fuckers can kite you around for ages.

One thing I'm not really liking about the alp is how there's no visual indication of the area of effect on their sleep attack, making it unnecessarily frustrating to figure out how to fight them.

I faced my first alp group in a forest, 7 of them against my day-30-ish 12, and I managed not to lose anyone but it was a close run thing. Terrifying to deal with. All that saved me was that I had pathfinder on a couple brothers.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

John Charity Spring posted:

I faced my first alp group in a forest, 7 of them against my day-30-ish 12, and I managed not to lose anyone but it was a close run thing. Terrifying to deal with. All that saved me was that I had pathfinder on a couple brothers.

Pro-tip: doggos wreck alps - just another reason to get some furry friends!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Pro-tip: doggos wreck alps - just another reason to get some furry friends!

Oh drat, that's a good idea.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
So, the DLC is cool and all but I kinda hate the new retreat mechanic.
It seems like it'll be almost impossible to retreat from a fight that has gone against you anymore without losing bros.
That's not great, but what really annoys me is that for some reason retreating happens at regular game speed and if there is a way to speed it up I haven't found it yet.
As I'm writing this post, my 7 low level bros are - slowly - running from a group of Raiders that jumped out of the fog of war.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm getting a small steam patch new this morning, any idea what it does?

crash hotfix, maybe, i had exactly one crash and i know of another person who did under different circumstances

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

So, the DLC is cool and all but I kinda hate the new retreat mechanic.
It seems like it'll be almost impossible to retreat from a fight that has gone against you anymore without losing bros.
That's not great, but what really annoys me is that for some reason retreating happens at regular game speed and if there is a way to speed it up I haven't found it yet.
As I'm writing this post, my 7 low level bros are - slowly - running from a group of Raiders that jumped out of the fog of war.

Yeah I'm a little disappointed by the new retreat mechanics. First of all because it takes way longer than I expected. I thought it would be a very quick auto-calculate of the rest of the battle but instead it just zooms out while everyone runs away. I can't even imagine how long it would take to run away through a forest or a swamp if you got jumped by a giant pack of spiders or something, and had to watch all 30 of them take their turns every time. Second of all because the tradeoffs are completely different than they used to be. It seems like either everyone gets away fine if you're retreating before entering combat, or some people get away fine and some die if you're already in combat. Whereas before it was everyone got away but also everyone got a severe injury, and it ended the battle immediately.

Also now some campaigns are going to be permanently ended by things like wolfriders attacking you in the woods and there being literally no way to retreat from them without everyone dying, which seems like a real anti-fun move.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Seems to be some sort of bug with seed generation, seeds are repeating.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I notice Necromancers can break now, is that new?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I got a wildman with 123 base Fatigue, 57 Melee Attack, and 3 talent stars in melee fighting.

He's also Tough.

Now it is time to go see what fighting Alps is like.

I'm sure it will be fine.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
there is now a lindwurm-hunt contract :stare:

i did not take it

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I fought my first Unhold.

Six broken bones but no-one died.

I like to imagine he was doing crazy wrestling moves the whole fight.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Found a witch's hut.

She talks me into fighting a group of Nachzehrera direwopves, unholds, webknects and Hexen.

Didn't go well.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

team overhead smash posted:

Found a witch's hut.

She talks me into fighting a group of Nachzehrera direwopves, unholds, webknects and Hexen.

Didn't go well.

I found same hut, decided I would fight them later. my boyos are too weak right now.

also, has anyone considered that ancient honor guard with the armor perk are going to be horrifying? cause it think its going to be horrifying.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

there is a "cultist procession" town temporary modifier

i do not know what exactly it does, i do not see any recruitable cultists and the only mission is "go punch some orcs at an orc housing development"

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

events like those are meant to increase the number of the applicable recruit in the town but it may be bugged and not work the way it's supposed to all the time, someone i know got the archery contest town status and no archery types (poachers, hunters, bowyers) were available to recruit

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Virulence posted:

events like those are meant to increase the number of the applicable recruit in the town but it may be bugged and not work the way it's supposed to all the time, someone i know got the archery contest town status and no archery types (poachers, hunters, bowyers) were available to recruit

i was totally up for recruiting a cultist or two too :saddowns:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Wizard Styles posted:

That's pretty cool. Just 15 a day, though? I'd sell it in an instant.

Yeah the economics of it don't make much sense unless there are future events that I don't know about that will modify it. I checked in a random neutral village and it was worth even more than I previously posted. I'm gonna hang on to it and see what happens.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Seems to be some sort of bug with seed generation, seeds are repeating.
I have gotten the same map from a few different seeds, yeah. It is pretty annoying since there is no way to skip the intro battle.

I am disappointed by the tryout feature too. I don't give a poo poo about traits. Let me see their starred stats before I shell out the full amount to hire.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think giving Wildmen maces is one of my favorite ways to use them. They've got the stamina to KO people endlessly and maces are really pretty solid weapons in general.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Got a 1510 gold contract to fight 3 Schrats, day 67. I dragged them into a 19-man noble company. 15 of those nobles died so that I may make that money and get some sweet Schrat bits.

Schrats are really, really goddamn mean and I would not gently caress with them this early if I couldn't use nobles as bait.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Some of the new enemies are loving annoying and not in a good way.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My game was going pretty well, then I ran into a bunch of Alps and now everyone is dead.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I like all the new enemies so far but goddamn its making me carry more poo poo.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

My game was going pretty well, then I ran into a bunch of Alps and now everyone is dead.

I haven't fought schrats or, obviously, :krakken: yet, but Alps are super duper fun.

And yeah, also responsible for my only TPK so far.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
This here is a decent map for starters: BHFOAGDIIH

The North is rather poor unfortunately and you will only venture there to pick up an extra hunter maybe. But the South has copper, gems, salt, amber and dye - all not too far from a large harbor city. Also 2 fortresses relatively close to each other with a smelter, furnace and workshop.

Bros are average:

Spearguy has Night Owl and Irrational
Axeman is Athletic
Archer is gluttonous and a team player

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I haven't fought schrats or, obviously, :krakken: yet, but Alps are super duper fun.

And yeah, also responsible for my only TPK so far.

Fought 2 Schrats on day 31, highest level bro: 6. Holy hell batman, those things are nasty. They regrow a big defense shield, hit in a line across 3 spaces that is highly effective against armor and has good penetration, and if you do a decent amount of damage in a single attack they spawn a mini-schrat. I am not looking forward to fighting more of them, ever, 2 was only moderately manageable and they still dropped 3 dudes. If I didn't regularly keep 2 axe bros on hand they would have been a wipe.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So I thought this game had been abandoned "finished" as the devs chased their next idea? Is that not actually the case now with this new dlc? And is the base game in a good state right now without the dlc?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

So I thought this game had been abandoned "finished" as the devs chased their next idea? Is that not actually the case now with this new dlc? And is the base game in a good state right now without the dlc?

the game was feature complete and completely solid when they "abandoned it."

the dlc adds new weapons/armors and monsters, but i had already put over 200 hours into the game without it, so if you are interested in the game, get the base game and see if you enjoy it before throwing another 10 bucks at the dlc.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 1, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

Releasing a completed game does not mean it was abandoned. The base game was already really good and 100% a finished product, the DLC just adds more stuff.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

(last town is a harbor city on a small island south of Thunburg)

Map Seed: 9876543210
:v:

Bros:
shield - no traits/62 melee
2h - iron lungs/61 melee
ranged - iron lungs/48 ranged

Factions:
9 Tree (south)
5 Wolf (north)
4 Sun (north)

The North has all of the weapon/armorsmiths with blast furnaces+smelters. I've had a number of weapon and armor legendaries spawn.
The South has fletchers and a trade circuit.

Harbors connect the north and south/southwest.

Layout:
2 citadels
4 keeps/mottes
2 trading hubs
5 harbors

3 blast furnaces
3 ore smelters
3 workshops

6 weaponsmiths
8 armorers
3 fletchers
3 taxidermists
9 taverns
4 barbers
3 kennels
5 temples
2 training halls

2 hunting cabins
2 gatherer's huts
1 trappers
1 herbalists
2 fishing huts

1 peat
1 salt
1 gem
2 amber
3 dye
1 wine
1 wool
1 brewery

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 1, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
DKMIFFDVRC

Starting bros aren't bad but nearly half the map is Swampworld. For the masochists.

I'm still having trouble getting a company going for some reason.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dreylad posted:

DKMIFFDVRC

Starting bros aren't bad but nearly half the map is Swampworld. For the masochists.

I'm still having trouble getting a company going for some reason.

It seems harder than before for a similar difficulty setting - maybe it's the under-the-hood AI buffs to the humans.

Another contributor might be a slightly lower proportion of human fights, so you can't loot quite as much usable gear as quickly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Another contributor might be a slightly lower proportion of human fights, so you can't loot quite as much usable gear as quickly.

This really hurts. I used to be able to rely on finding tons of Raiders early and it's really hurt my ability to get flails for free.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
On the other hand raiders can drop some of the new weapons so you can get stuff like the longsword pretty early.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

welp, there's two tpks

day 35, hexe defense mission, she brought two schrats to the party

i was not prepared

also, while the minions show up as charmed, they do not up and leave if you kill the hexe, they will continue killing your bros

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

edit: also i'm increasingly certain some of the recruit-boosting events don't work right - the witch burning got some witch hunters to show up but i've seen a cultist procession and an archery contest with zero (0) relevant hires

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...

GreyjoyBastard posted:

edit: also i'm increasingly certain some of the recruit-boosting events don't work right - the witch burning got some witch hunters to show up but i've seen a cultist procession and an archery contest with zero (0) relevant hires

Ice had the cultist event a couple times and bot had cultists, but only 1 each time. It seems the events increase the likely hood of recruits but dont guarantee anything.