Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Butt Detective posted:

I ALSO want to know how Ralph's videos actually appeared to the people watching them, did he look like a CGI character to them? Did he just look like someone made a near-realistic Ralph model and animated him near-realistically??

I didn't watch the sequel, but I remember the first one you see a scene from both the player's point of view and the character's point of view. When the game first starts without Ralph you see Felix freaking out, and all the citizens, and then it cuts to the human's POV and you just see the sprites flipping out all over the screen in 2D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Butt Detective posted:

I want to know what the Slaughter Race devs would think about a new character suddenly appearing and becoming part of their game that they themselves did not add, you can't present to me a world where people recognise Ralph as an old arcade game character but won't recognise Vanellope and also have her inclusion go viral across the internet <:mad:>

I also want to know how Felix was covering for Ralph in his game

I ALSO want to know how Ralph's videos actually appeared to the people watching them, did he look like a CGI character to them? Did he just look like someone made a near-realistic Ralph model and animated him near-realistically??

The answer is probably "don't think about it too hard"

Not to mention that it was stated, at the end of the first movie and the beginning of the second, that Vanellope's glitch power made her one of the most popular racers, if not the most. Contrary to what she claimed, there's no way her absence would not go unnoticed for long.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cockmaster posted:

Not to mention that it was stated, at the end of the first movie and the beginning of the second, that Vanellope's glitch power made her one of the most popular racers, if not the most. Contrary to what she claimed, there's no way her absence would not go unnoticed for long.

But in the first movie, it had.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
WIR raises so many questions. The Ralph in the franchise is from a single arcade machine. But that machine was mass-produced. Do all Ralphs from all arcades go through the same emotional turmoil? That calls into question pre-destination. Or maybe all Ralphs behave completely different, but that seems strange because they’re all essentially identical characters raised in identical situations.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

dirksteadfast posted:

WIR raises so many questions. The Ralph in the franchise is from a single arcade machine. But that machine was mass-produced. Do all Ralphs from all arcades go through the same emotional turmoil? That calls into question pre-destination. Or maybe all Ralphs behave completely different, but that seems strange because they’re all essentially identical characters raised in identical situations.

What about the characters that Ralph meets up with? Did Dr Robotnick show up in an arcade game?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

dirksteadfast posted:

It seems like such an obvious extension of the internet, too, that it's a window into the "real" world. Ralph spends all his life thinking that his situation is just a uniquely personal and otherwise irrelevant ones - but then eventually he gets old enough to go on the internet and finds out that, "Oh, no, it's all of us who are treated like poo poo, and it's so someone else can have power."

But it's critical to remember that this is a central conceit of this emerging subgenre of web 2.0 children's movies, whether it's Emoji Movie or Inside Out or Breaks the Internet, the idea of the internet leading to an end of reality just as the decline of Soviet communism signals the "end of history" and ideological struggle. Structures and systems are taken for granted as being purely the externalization of abstract, remote, emotional forces which are always endemically sutured into the symbolic order of these very structures and systems that are thus teleologically declared "unreal" and thus not relevant to scrutiny. A little girl has a theme park inside her brain.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Senior Scarybagels posted:

What about the characters that Ralph meets up with? Did Dr Robotnick show up in an arcade game?

I mean there were Sonic arcade cabinets that had Sonic 1 on them weren't there? Eggman definitely shows up there (although Sega made them use their modern designs because Sega)

No modern arcade in America is gonna have a Sonic the Hedgehog arcade cabinet, but I am glad he's in the movies so we get just even the tiniest glimpse of what Disney Animation could do if they could make a Sonic movie

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Ya know, say what you will, All Dogs Go to Heaven is low key a good noir with just some traces of magical realism.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1069097847029547009?s=19

goddammit why can't this movie be out now

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
For real though is it just me or is All Dogs Go to Heaven a seriously well-made throwback noir/non sequitor musical complete with, like, hits of Frank Borzage?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

K. Waste posted:

For real though is it just me or is All Dogs Go to Heaven a seriously well-made throwback noir/non sequitor musical complete with, like, hits of Frank Borzage?

It has some flaws, but yes, its an amazing film overall stuffed to the brim with incredible, soulful animation that manages to convey a depth of emotion and intimacy you rarely see.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have just caught up with the thread and have Cartoon Opinions to share. Spoilers for all the things mentioned.

Minions: I really liked it, Sandra Bullock's character and her husband are really fun and her rocket dress is badass. Also the smaller gags are really great, like the whole Evil Convention is just wall to wall hilarity. Also it adds an undercurrent to the rest of the series - they work for the most evil person in the room. They have no real loyalties. The only difference between Gru and the other villains they've worked for is that Gru treats them like people and give them the benefit of the doubt, and relative free reign. It makes their subplot in DM3 more interesting, because it makes total sense - they are born to be bad. They aren't for childrearing, and when Gru ceases to be bad with no turning back, the Minions are concerned because if they don't have anything to do, as this spinoff attests, they become severely depressed and listless. Without leaving with Dru, the minions likely would have just rotted under Gru's lack of leadership, growing increasingly frustrated and listless. They weren't made by Gru. They have existed since time began, and will just find a new villain when Dru inevitably gets himself killed. They won't return to Gru. Ever.

Personal favourite clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1CLeWUw14M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TGWdRK-Ykk

In the latter clip they could easily have just had the castle burst apart as Giant Kevin was revealed, but they didn't - they give it a full treatment as the windows shatter and the foundations creak until the castle cracks like an egg. It's a really good Spectacle and I loved it.

Other:

I read an interesting AU book commissioned by Disney called Reflection, a riff on Mulan where the idea is after the Avalanche Li Shang dies and Mulan travels to the Chinese Afterlife to save him, protected by Li's Guardian Spirit (Mushu is asleep when she makes her decision and for reasons she decides to leave him behind). It had a really neat setting and imaginative challenges, like the mountain literally made of knives and swords, and took the Ping/Mulan stuff in a new direction, where the focus was on Mulan's Ancestor's finding out and their reactions (some of them find it hilarious). Li of course finds out as well in the course of the narrative and gets incredibly pissy about it, but a neat thing is that the gods and afterlife characters tend not to give a poo poo - even his Guardian comes to respect Mulan before Li does. It's simply because it doesn't really matter. They're dead, the sexism is a human construct of the living world and all the other characters have more important things to worry about.

It also has a neat payoff with the title where Mulan's final challenge is the Hall of Mirrors, each of them containing a reflection of an aspect of herself with her challenge being to find which one truly represents her as a whole. There are numerous variations on her motivations there all playing off of her insecurities about herself like "I'm a selfish girl who stole her father's armour and ran off seeking glory", and it's an interesting sequence. I keep meaning to look into the other books they commissioned as this one was neat.

Did anyone else read that book? Any thoughts?

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012
Saw Into the Spiderverse at a press screening today. Absolutely amazing visuals and a really well done origin story mixed with a dozen possible ideas for spin-offs.

Mild spoilers:
There is brief shot of Times Square with a billboard featuring Abe and JFK from Clone High!

The post credits sequence is NUTS

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

riversarl posted:

Mild spoilers:
There is brief shot of Times Square with a billboard featuring Abe and JFK from Clone High!

that is a deep cut, was there somebody on staff who was involved in that show?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dirksteadfast posted:

this is assuming that any other arcade cabinets survived as long as his has. given the time his game was released and the near complete collapse of arcades since, it's actually fairly likely that his is the last functioning arcade board in the world. kinda like how Woody is probably the last Woody doll in the world, cause his show is decades old and most toys from that period would have been tossed or lost.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Or there are hundreds of homeless Ralphs and Felixes living in power strips all over the world.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

SatansBestBuddy posted:

that is a deep cut, was there somebody on staff who was involved in that show?

(Not an explicit spoiler, and haven't even seen the movie yet, but tied into the same mild spoiler as before.)

More than just somebody and more than just involvement. Both of the directors (in addition to directing The Lego Movie, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and 21/22 Jump Street) were the creators of Clone High.

(EDIT: My mistake, thought Phil Lord and Chris Miller were directing, but they are heavily involved in story and production.)

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 2, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What happens to the Ralphs living in emulators

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Macaluso posted:

What happens to the Ralphs living in emulators

I'd like to meet a Ralph from a fangame where he's the hero saving Felix from something. Or a terrible fangame where Felix turns evil and starts using his fixing powers to close up the Grand Canyon and poo poo.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It's like you people never read Kid Radd or something.
https://www.bgreco.net/kidradd.htm

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
gently caress, man, should I edit a 4:3, high contrast black-and-white version of All Dogs Go to Heaven?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What was that one European noir mystery animated movie called? It had talking cats. I can't remember its name but it was good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

What was that one European noir mystery animated movie called? It had talking cats. I can't remember its name but it was good.

Fritz the Cat?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Felidae?

Fair warning for anyone going looking for it, it contains very graphic cat murder

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Felidae, that's the one. I remember it being good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Felidae. It's really good.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

All this noir cat talk made me remember "The Cat Piano": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj4RBmU-PIo

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's a well-constructed noir, but boy I want to be able to forget all the awful cat murder.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

All this noir cat talk made me remember "The Cat Piano": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj4RBmU-PIo

Don't forget Garfield short, Diana's Piano! click

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

So I take it no one else has read Reflection then? It's a really interesting take on the culture and characters.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Don't forget Garfield short, Diana's Piano! click

Oh gently caress you for posting this, now I'm crying in the middle of the day over a Garfield cartoon.

I have poo poo to do today Pick! I don't have time for all these bittersweet cat emotions I'm now feeling! :cry:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BioEnchanted posted:

So I take it no one else has read Reflection then? It's a really interesting take on the culture and characters.

I was in HMV the other day and noticed all these paperbacks with shiny black covers near the checkout which all had Disney villains on the covers; is it one of those?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was in HMV the other day and noticed all these paperbacks with shiny black covers near the checkout which all had Disney villains on the covers; is it one of those?

Maybe, one of them is Ursula centric, but mine has a really cool mirrored smoke pattern to go with the mirror imagery that has Ping in the negative space, with Mulan's sword splitting down the centre.

I scanned it:

It's a bit faded in the scan, the gold really pops and the cover itself is black in person.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That looks like one of them. Probably the same series.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

That looks like one of them. Probably the same series.

I at least can recommend that one. It's an interesting take.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Best animated features starring cats:

Cats Don't Dance
Felidae
Fritz the Cat
The Rabbi's Cat

Uh, Kiki's Delivery Service?

This is harder than I thought.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Samuel Clemens posted:

Cats Don't Dance
Felidae
Fritz the Cat
The Rabbi's Cat

The Cat Returns?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Cats Don't Dance
Felidae
Fritz the Cat
The Rabbi's Cat

Nocturna had the Cat Shepherd and his herd, that might be stretching it a bit though

Coraline had a semi-prominent cat as well

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Aristocats was my favourite Disney animated movie when I was little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Samuel Clemens posted:

Cats Don't Dance
Felidae
Fritz the Cat
The Rabbi's Cat