Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Are they all still murderers?

Look man, when he puts on the suit he just can't help it.

KEEP IT IN THE BOX, DICK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Klungar posted:

Having not watched any of Titans yet, all the chatter I’ve seen online is that it turned out to actually be a good show that people are enjoying. So what the “gently caress Batman” happened with the pre-release marketing that had everyone so initially soured on it? Were the trailers not representative of what the actual show would be? Does it take more than the three episodes that were sent to critics to find its feet?

I haven’t watched the Donna Troy episode yet, but I still feel that the show, while reasonably enjoyable most of the time, is a long way from landing the tonal balancing act it’s attempting. it’s a lot better at leaning into the DCU stuff than it is at trying to be a Marvel Netflix show (but even darker and grittier) and I wish it’d stick to the former

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm looking forward to Netflix finally releasing it in the UK, looks like for some reason they're going to drop the whole thing at once instead of weekly releases unlike just about every other American show they get exclusive rights to (like Star Trek Disco & Black Lightning).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Argue posted:

What if the whole series is Tom lending his voice to Cat Loki

Scaramouche posted:

Sorry felt I needed to clarify that

You're both wrong, it's Cat Thor

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Klungar posted:

Having not watched any of Titans yet, all the chatter I’ve seen online is that it turned out to actually be a good show that people are enjoying. So what the “gently caress Batman” happened with the pre-release marketing that had everyone so initially soured on it? Were the trailers not representative of what the actual show would be? Does it take more than the three episodes that were sent to critics to find its feet?
To me, having only seen one episode, it's really not any more complex than that the show has surprisingly good writing, acting, and cinematography. That last part in particular deserves recognition because, yeah, this whole show certainly looked hella lame and garish in the trailers, but the way they shoot and color correct everything in the episodes actually makes it all look...well, really professional and fitting.

There's still definitely a wee hint of it being, like, "By golly we sure ain't your grandaddy's comic books!" Specifically, I don't really like how the narrative keeps on making it seem as if Batman is the one who stoked all of Dick's rage and darkness issues. That, to me, feels like a really massive misunderstanding of Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson's relationship.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dick/Robin's fight choreography is top notch.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

BrianWilly posted:

Specifically, I don't really like how the narrative keeps on making it seem as if Batman is the one who stoked all of Dick's rage and darkness issues.

I find it hilarious that Dick comes off as so unstable that Jason Todd is the more reasonable alternative.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Skwirl posted:

You're both wrong, it's Cat Thor

I can imagine Hemsworth and Hiddleston doing that dialogue and it is the best.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

howe_sam posted:

I can imagine Hemsworth and Hiddleston doing that dialogue and it is the best.

Waitii did Hollywood a huge favor by figuring out that Hemsworth is a lovable giant muscle teddy bear goofball at heart, and making a success by playing to that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Cythereal posted:

Waitii did Hollywood a huge favor by figuring out that Hemsworth is a lovable giant muscle teddy bear goofball at heart, and making a success by playing to that.

Didn't the 2016 Ghostbusters film show this first?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Question IRL posted:

Nobody wants to acknowledge that film

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mulva posted:

I find it hilarious that Dick comes off as so unstable that Jason Todd is the more reasonable alternative.

Maybe that will be the ending twist, The Blue Hood

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Question IRL posted:

Waititi made a successful movie with it, though. :v:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

BrianWilly posted:

To me, having only seen one episode, it's really not any more complex than that the show has surprisingly good writing, acting, and cinematography. That last part in particular deserves recognition because, yeah, this whole show certainly looked hella lame and garish in the trailers, but the way they shoot and color correct everything in the episodes actually makes it all look...well, really professional and fitting.

Yeah, the "gently caress Batman" trailer was just a misstep in selling the show to the audience. It's a pretty decent comic book show. I like the actor for Robin, I like the child actor and I usually hate child actors. It's not what I'd call great TV yet, still feels a little disjointed as far figuring out what story they're trying to tell and which characters are worth spending time with, but the production values are solid and there have been quite a few good moments. And this is coming from someone who never watched or read anything with the Teen Titans when I was a kid.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Titans is like Once Piece, I keep hearing how good it is, but every media i've seen from it makes me not want to watch it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

If you're in the Apple ecosystem, Batman '67 is on sale for a stupidly cheap $15 for the whole series. Everyone's best guess is it's a price mistake so it's better to jump on it sooner rather than later.

Hell, even if you aren't in the Apple ecosystem, it might be worth a buy because maybe someday you will be or maybe movies anywhere will expand to tv or any other weird reason you can think of to justify spending a little more than a dime per episode on cheese television.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 3, 2018

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Good Twitter thread analyzing the Netflix Marvel cancellations and rebutting a lot of the fan theories and speculation, by someone who’s done a lot of good analysis of Netflix’s business model (check his timeline for more).

https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1069649213498277889?s=21

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So basically this is pretty much a Netflix call and Marvel had no real say in it. They could have renegotiated but it wasn't in their best interest and Netflix really had no incentive to do it anyway. And there's basically zero chance of any of these characters showing up in anything for a few years as Netflix has a hold on them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I do like the point that Netflix Marvel wasn't actually that good. Out of the eleven seasons of content they made, four and a half were undeniably good. All the rest was somewhere in between out right bad or "I liked it, but yeah it had problems"

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah I was all about the Neflix Marvel Universe for awhile but slowly over time the veneer washed away and I realized these shows just don't live up to the MCU and when there's poo poo like Maniac on Netflix they really don't have an excuse not to.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I do like the point that Netflix Marvel wasn't actually that good. Out of the eleven seasons of content they made, four and a half were undeniably good. All the rest was somewhere in between out right bad or "I liked it, but yeah it had problems"

Yeah, I’d agree with this.

I’m kind of bummed there’s a 2-3 moratorium on Disney being able to use any of these characters in a TV show, as I would have liked to see a competent take on IF.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I’d agree with this.

I’m kind of bummed there’s a 2-3 moratorium on Disney being able to use any of these characters in a TV show, as I would have liked to see a competent take on IF.

to be fair, that’s just his speculation afaik, as are other parts of the thread, but fans expecting an imminent revival on Hulu or Disney+ should probably lower those expectations. It sure doesn’t sound like it’s a Brooklyn Nine-Nine situation where the studio producing the show is able to change networks relatively quickly and painlessly.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The only Netflix seasons I liked all around where Daredevil S1 and Punisher S1 and the second one wasn't even in their initial plans so they got one right. JJS1 was good but then they poisoned that well, Iron Fist was cursed from the start and Luke Cage spent one entire season setting up stuff that now will never happen.

I have no idea how Disney will handle their own series, they have their own stained record with Inhumans, but this seems like a greater loss to Netflix than to its viewers.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Samuringa posted:

The only Netflix seasons I liked all around where Daredevil S1 and Punisher S1 and the second one wasn't even in their initial plans so they got one right. JJS1 was good but then they poisoned that well, Iron Fist was cursed from the start and Luke Cage spent one entire season setting up stuff that now will never happen.

I have no idea how Disney will handle their own series, they have their own stained record with Inhumans, but this seems like a greater loss to Netflix than to its viewers.

"Disney" didn't really make Inhumans anymore than Marvel Studios did. (They didn't.) Non-Netflix Marvel TV has largely been it's own entity within Marvel Entertainment, Disney is just there counting money at the end of the day. If Disney decided to blow money on any of these characters, what happens after that would depend on whether they hand the keys over to the regular Marvel TV guys, or if they give them to Feige.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's a shame because they really did some great casting. Would have liked to see those actors continue to play them.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They could treat it like Ash vs Evil Dead treated Army of Darkness, or the Arrowverse treats Constantine--keep the cast the same, nothing to suggest that the Netflix series DIDN'T happen, but it's only alluded to vaguely, and is kept easy to jump into for a newbie. In other words, just like any time a comic is renumbered to #1.

I would like to see d'Onofrio hamming it up as a more overtly evil Kingpin in Spider-man: Home for the Holidays.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

That's a shame because they really did some great casting. Would have liked to see those actors continue to play them.

Yea, I would be totally down with seeing all of the Netflix cast in something else, but I doubt that will happen. I guess we could see Michael Jai White as Luke Cage in the MCU then.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm willing to put money down we won't see so much as a cameo from any of the Netflix people in future Marvel projects.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I'm willing to put money down we won't see so much as a cameo from any of the Netflix people in future Marvel projects.

Agreed, there's not a chance.

The only way we'll see the characters (not actors) is by Disney either waiting out the license Netflix has for TV shows, or if they add those characters to the movies (they won't)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The more likely scenario would involve Disney buying Netflix outright when Netflix tries to go ad-driven next year and collapses, but even that wouldn't make seeing Punisher again particularly likely imo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

The more likely scenario would involve Disney buying Netflix outright when Netflix tries to go ad-driven next year and collapses, but even that wouldn't make seeing Punisher again particularly likely imo.

I highly doubt Netflix will go ad-driven. They're biggest competition right now is Prime which will never go ad-driven. Does Hulu have ads on their original content?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

This is the weirdest speculation I've seen in some time. Where is there any indication whatsoever that Netflix would possibly go to ad-based when they're still growing globally under the current model?

I get that their cash burn is substantial but their market cap as of today is $130B and Disney would have to pay a serious premium to acquire them, that after just getting and working through absorbing the Fox stuff this year and the next few after. No way this happens.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I highly doubt Netflix will go ad-driven. They're biggest competition right now is Prime which will never go ad-driven. Does Hulu have ads on their original content?

If you don't have a premium Hulu subscription yes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

howe_sam posted:

If you don't have a premium Hulu subscription yes.

But if you're paying there's no ads, right?

Yeah, Netflix isn't going to start having ads, especially since all of their original content so far wasn't made with having ad breaks in mind, and as other content producers keep making their own streaming sites they're going to be more and more dependent on original programming.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The higher tier Hulu sub has no ads on anything, as that is the "perk" of paying extra over the basic sub. CBS All Access does the same thing, with a basic sub with ads, and a premium sub with no ads (for on demand videos, not live obviously.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, Hulu has three tiers: free, limited content, ad-driven; basic, paid, full content, ads; premium, paid, full content, no ads.

So yes, if you have the basic tier, their exclusive content still had ads.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Skwirl posted:

But if you're paying there's no ads, right?

They have two subscription tiers, one with ads and one without.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Endless Mike posted:

No, Hulu has three tiers: free, limited content, ad-driven; basic, paid, full content, ads; premium, paid, full content, no ads.

So yes, if you have the basic tier, their exclusive content still had ads.

Hulu has no free tier anymore. You either pay to get in and get commercials or you pay to get in and no commercials.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I thought Hulu said they were killing off free accounts a while ago. drat.

Edit: I guess I was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Since it only costs $4 more a month, I can't believe that there are people willing to pay $8 a month and sit through ads but not $12 a month. But there are tons of them!