Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The N2DS XL has its speakers on the bottom edge which kind of sucks. They're easy to cover with your hands.

N3DS XL has them next to the top screen as god intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Gonna call around the gamestops in my city after work, thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the info, gang! Are there any 3DS games I’ll be totally precluded from playing with a 2DS? I have an old pre-owned small 3DS in case but it bowled a bit playing Pokemon and I heard the New 3D was much better.

Just make sure whatever you buy has New in front of it and you'll be able to play everything. Only difference between 3DS and 2DS is the 3D itself.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Regy Rusty posted:

Just make sure whatever you buy has New in front of it and you'll be able to play everything. Only difference between 3DS and 2DS is the 3D itself.

And speaker placement. And possibility of good screens.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh boy, time for another huge debate over minuscule differences in screens!

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I picked up a 2DS XL a couple weeks ago and the only difference I notice from my old 3DS is the hinge is a little looser. Glad I got it in time for the Black Friday sale. Now I have Strange Journey Redux, EO5 and Radiant Historia Redux. By time I am done with them and Persona Q2 and EOX I think I'll be good on dungeon crawlers for a few years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zat posted:

Nintendo doesn't allow any games where the stereoscopic 3D would be necessary.

I'd say there's one exception; Super Mario 3D Land has some stages where 3D depth perception really helps with the jumps because of the camera angles used because the game was clearly designed with 3D in mind.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

As far as I understand, the New 3DS XL isn't discontinued. What did get discontinued is the New 3DS small ones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

As far as I understand, the New 3DS XL isn't discontinued. What did get discontinued is the New 3DS small ones.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're still at the point there's so drat many new3DS XL's in stores and warehouses that nobody would notice either way for a good couple of months.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd say there's one exception; Super Mario 3D Land has some stages where 3D depth perception really helps with the jumps because of the camera angles used because the game was clearly designed with 3D in mind.

So was Link Between Worlds, tbh; the 3D helps a lot in certain sections. Still not necessary though, and both games are quite playable in 2D.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Kirby Triple Deluxe as well, but probably still playable without 3D

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I checked the GameStop shop page again and scrolled a bit more and they still have new 3DS XL listed just not with new in the title. Clicking on it though it’s the new 3DS picture and the release date etc is listed as feb 2015

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they're still at the point there's so drat many new3DS XL's in stores and warehouses that nobody would notice either way for a good couple of months.

Almost certainly. And it wasn't too long ago they released special editions like the SNES styled ones and the Metroid: Samus Returns tie-ins. Not to mention shitloads of second-hand ones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EmmyOk posted:

I checked the GameStop shop page again and scrolled a bit more and they still have new 3DS XL listed just not with new in the title. Clicking on it though it’s the new 3DS picture and the release date etc is listed as feb 2015

The odds of you getting a brand-new OG-model 3DS or 3DSXL in 2018 are astoundingly low. They've been gone for a good while now.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The odds of you getting a brand-new OG-model 3DS or 3DSXL in 2018 are astoundingly low. They've been gone for a good while now.

Yeah as it turns out I missed the little "Used" label on the listing. My mam ended up popping into the local game shop back in my hometown and finding a really good condition one for 90 euro cheaper. It's actually her gift to me anyway for Christmas after she got mad that I told her I didn't need a gift this year lmao. I'm sure a pre-owned will be fine if it looks visibly in good condition.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah as it turns out I missed the little "Used" label on the listing. My mam ended up popping into the local game shop back in my hometown and finding a really good condition one for 90 euro cheaper. It's actually her gift to me anyway for Christmas after she got mad that I told her I didn't need a gift this year lmao. I'm sure a pre-owned will be fine if it looks visibly in good condition.

If that's a local independent shop, it might well be an OG model if she's just grabbed "a" 3DS and doesn't know what to check for (it's not a hard thing to confirm, they say "new 3DS/XL" in big letters on the underside).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If that's a local independent shop, it might well be an OG model if she's just grabbed "a" 3DS and doesn't know what to check for (it's not a hard thing to confirm, they say "new 3DS/XL" in big letters on the underside).

Yeah it’s hard to say I suppose! I tried to stress the difference to her between new 3DS and a brand new 3DS so I hope she gets it. My younger sister is helping her out.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My sister checked the backs and confirmed they’re all new XL ones in the local shop. Just 110e which is a good price I think

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah it’s hard to say I suppose! I tried to stress the difference to her between new 3DS and a brand new 3DS so I hope she gets it. My younger sister is helping her out.

Like I said earlier, I really do not blame people for being confused.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't even get me started on trying to buy a second hand new 3DS XL. First time I bought one they gave me the wrong model when they boxed it up and I was so confused when I looked for the C stick

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Buddy of mine was working electronics at Wal-Mart for the launch of the 3DS, the Wii U, and the New 3DS. Confused parents and grandparents were the rule

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sony with the GOAT naming conventions

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the ironically named Vita doesn't count

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hey, at least it wasn't New PSP

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Last time I looked you could still get brand new New 3DS XLs if you went to the Nintendo Store in NYC and asked nicely.

Got a handsome SNES Edition a few months ago and proceeded to play Steel Diver: Sub Wars and Legend of Zelda until I passed out.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is it normal for a 2DS to chug like crazy whenever it does anything? Loading any kind of software, going to the Home screen from a game, icons in the shop taking forever to fill in? You guys said some of the games would play better on the XL, but not that regular tooling around with the system would be so laggy. I haven't had a lot of time for gaming this week besides beating Pokemon Let's Go, but I picked up a Mario Maker 2DS the other day and not only is it as gently caress-ugly as advertised, but the lag time on doing anything with it is driving me nuts. I've only played around with the Mii Maker and the Shop and a half hour of Mario Maker, though. If I can get a refund at Gamestop this would almost be worth the extra $70 bucks to upgrade to the XL.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A normal 2DS or a New 2DS? Normals are slow as heck, yes.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I mean, it's the brand new 2DS with Mario Maker that just came out, but it's the cheapo kind that doesn't flip closed.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah but "New" 2DS/3DSes are the fast ones, they say New on them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I think New 2DSes only come in the clamshell design.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Phenotype posted:

I mean, it's the brand new 2DS with Mario Maker that just came out, but it's the cheapo kind that doesn't flip closed.

Oh wow, there's a new one. I could have sworn that was a 2016 thing but I guess not.

But no, it's a regular 2DS.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 30, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

endlessmonotony posted:

Oh wow, there's a new one. I could have sworn that was a 2016 thing but I guess not.

But no, it's a regular 2DS.

The 2DS is so cheap and prevalent that Nintendo probably have enough stored parts to just churn those loving things out for years to come in dozens of different special-edition flavours.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think New 2DSes only come in the clamshell design.

They do indeed only come in a clamshell form.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Quantum of Phallus posted:

PSP 2

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sweet space princess, 5-Volt you gotta have better things to do after dark than check up on your son in horror movie fashion even if the little bugger is definitely playing games way too late

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone know a good replacement battery for the N3DS? Mine doesn't seem to hold a charge anymore and I can't seem to find anything but XL replacements.

e; This is the New black friday deal from like 3 years back.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 2, 2018

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nintendo itself sells them on their website

Here:
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...oryId=cat550080

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nephzinho posted:

Anyone know a good replacement battery for the N3DS? Mine doesn't seem to hold a charge anymore and I can't seem to find anything but XL replacements.

e; This is the New black friday deal from like 3 years back.

I still have a BNIB Black Friday N3ds... Been meaning to sell it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

hatty posted:

Nintendo itself sells them on their website

Here:
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...oryId=cat550080

Thanks, for some reason I'm trolling around amazon and ebay and forgot to look there.

Waltzing Along posted:

I still have a BNIB Black Friday N3ds... Been meaning to sell it.

Use it! Best of all the models.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nephzinho posted:

Use it! Best of all the models.

Naw. I'm happy with my Hyrule Dual IPS XL.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

Target has Orange-and-White new2DS's for all of $99AUD. Looks like it's just purging the last of the stock, so it's whichever stores still have'em on shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't know how many of you care about Yokai Watch 3, which comes out in PAL-land today, but Level-5 confirmed that the version being released in the west is an enhanced version of the third version (Sukiyaki) that'll let you find all the yokai in game.