Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I really hope Orbonne Monastery is going to be just bugfuck insane and not disappointing like Omegascape was

But but... the ancient eggrolls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm doing the HW relic grind, for some reason. No individual step seems too crazy..

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Cabbit posted:

I'm doing the HW relic grind, for some reason. No individual step seems too crazy..

Umbrite step was a real pain in the rear end for the longest time, but it's fairly easy now, if time consuming. HW Relic's version of the light grind is probably the most painful, now.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I got this on a cyber monday sale since I have some friends who play too, and I was wondering how important the server is. I understand we can do instanced content in the same cluster, but how much outdoor group content is there? Especially if we're all still on our first Jobs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I love that Convert's animation makes you into a full-on eye-clutching chuunibyou.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I got this on a cyber monday sale since I have some friends who play too, and I was wondering how important the server is. I understand we can do instanced content in the same cluster, but how much outdoor group content is there? Especially if we're all still on our first Jobs.

Basically the big thing you want to consider as far as outdoor content are Hunts, Maps and possibly Blue Mage. The last is still not out yet so it's hard to say but Hunts and Maps are group content locked to the same server which can be used to unlock items/glams/etc. It isn't critical by any means but it is something fun to do with friends.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Celebrity Ghost posted:

The expansion in 4-5 months will let you visit other servers on the same data center too. It won't be too long before your server determines nothing but your housing market

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Thanks for the quick answers! The housing situation was precisely why I was debating this, and since I can safely see us all still playing in a few months, there doesn't seem to be much immediate drawback to picking a small one.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CYBEReris posted:

Like with a lot of trade occupations in meatspace, the cost doesn't just represent the raw materials and the labor, but also the investment that the crafter put into mastering the trade - or in this case, leveling, gearing, etc. their DoH job.

Sounds good on paper and should be the case, but usually intermediate mats are on par or less than their individual components. I’m pulling numbers out of my rear end, but let’s use walnut lumber:

Walnut lumber sells for 800 on the MB

It needs 3 walnut logs which the cheapest is a stack of 99 for 300, but there’s a smaller stack for 350. Also don’t forget the catalyst which is 2 or 3 wind shards that have been averaging 50 Gil a pop on the MB. This also doesn’t account for stuff like having to repair your gear or the fact that you can turn spirit bonded gear into materia or that intermediate mats (like labor or ingots) are in drop tables.

Finished good = Raw Materials + Labor + “value”

800 = 1200 + (-400)

Math checks out. :v:

I’ve seen intermediate mats actual hold the model of mats + labor for crafts that are either leve turnins (hello, Linen Shirts), housing items, or threading the needle and being the only player on the MB and cashing in on the folks trying to win the high end gear market. That last one was interesting for 4.4 patch week because I managed to corner the MB for a few days on tama hagane and oroshigane ingots, and wound up being able to sell 4.0 intermediate mats for 20-30k each because they were required for chigusa ingots. It was easy as hell to sell 250k worth of 4.0 mats and stay out of the undercutting market of 4.4 mats or the 380 HQ gear market.

This is all going to be destroyed by cross world MB. :nsamad:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Phone posted:

This is all going to be destroyed by cross world MB. :nsamad:

Nah like 80% of the Crafter hustle on the MB is predicated on people being loving lazy. And teleporting world to world to buy materials is a lot of work to save a 100k gil or some poo poo.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
If people won't bother teleporting to the ixal to buy their walnut lumber, I don't see them doing their shopping on multiple worlds.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bolow posted:

Nah like 80% of the Crafter hustle on the MB is predicated on people being loving lazy. And teleporting world to world to buy materials is a lot of work to save a 100k gil or some poo poo.

Some outrageous nerd is going to develop a site that tracks the value of MB items by server once 5.0 hits. It won't be updated live because it can't be (unless SQEX makes it themselves...) but it'll be updated with alarming frequency.

AngusPodgorny posted:

If people won't bother teleporting to the ixal to buy their walnut lumber, I don't see them doing their shopping on multiple worlds.

I've run into a very large number of people who don't even realize that beast tribes sell mats. It isn't just laziness, most market participants are entirely ignorant of how the market and supply chains work. So, also kind of like the real world :v:

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 2, 2018

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Bolow posted:

People will pay for things that they could get cheaper from a vendor because the vendor is a beast tribe vendor and it's a teleport and a walk away vs just getting off the MB right here and now. The convenience aspect of the MB is a big part of it too.

e: in fact, every item tool tip will tell you if you can buy it cheaper from a vendor.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

People sometimes sell stuff on the MB for less than they would have gotten from just trashing it at a vendor. Economics are magical.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Leofish posted:

People will pay for things that they could get cheaper from a vendor because the vendor is a beast tribe vendor and it's a teleport and a walk away vs just getting off the MB right here and now. The convenience aspect of the MB is a big part of it too.

e: in fact, every item tool tip will tell you if you can buy it cheaper from a vendor.

Ask me about selling those stupid flowers and the bouquet you buy in Gridania for a 8000% markup to idiots

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Thundarr posted:

Some outrageous nerd is going to develop a site that tracks the value of MB items by server once 5.0 hits. It won't be updated live because it can't be (unless SQEX makes it themselves...) but it'll be updated with alarming frequency.

I've run into a very large number of people who don't even realize that beast tribes sell mats. It isn't just laziness, most market participants are entirely ignorant of how the market and supply chains work. So, also kind of like the real world :v:

This already exists; they’re using the phone app API.

It also attaches retainer names to player names. :nsa:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Bolow posted:

Ask me about selling those stupid flowers and the bouquet you buy in Gridania for a 8000% markup to idiots

Twelve bless the "show recently added items" check box.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Ask me about not having to care about making or spending a few hundred thousand here and there because I'm a self-made bootstraps catgirl, not a plebeian proletariat poor commoner foodstamps lala.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the lalafell are a proud people who just need some assistance because YoshiP keeps adding things that eat us to this hell of a game.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
As a misanthopic miser, it is equally important that all of my gil stay in my hoard, and also that none of it goes to market board people. I'll teleport to Little Ala Mhigo and ride out to the amal'jaa for a single steel ingot if I have to.

I figure a lot of the market board purchases are also non-crafters who are told 'bring me all the raw materials and I'll make you gear." It's understandable that they don't know what crafting supplies are available where.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Thundarr posted:

Too late and it is updated live https://www.ffxivmb.com

Edit: that might a link to the wrong one, I'm on my phone, but there is one that uses a bunch of characters and the companion app for live updates. It uses this API https://xivapi.com/docs/Market

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 2, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well what do you know, I didn't think they'd open up the entire MB as an API but I keep forgetting the phone app exists.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They probably didn’t mean to. :v:

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
I've managed to clear the hardest content in the game, namely conquering the Balmung housing market and getting a silly hat for winter. :toot:

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I love that Convert's animation makes you into a full-on eye-clutching chuunibyou.

She casts Flare once then has to lie down for the rest of the day.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Ibblebibble posted:

"I draw upon the infinite power of the void" and "I channel the seething rage buried deep within my soul to grant me strength" are tied for the most chuuni job in the game.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna need the name of those boots, thanks.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna need the name of those boots, thanks.

I think those are dyeable AF2 boots for black mage.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cabbit posted:

I think those are dyeable AF2 boots for black mage.

Yep!

Horde rod, Vanya hat, Shire coat, Eikonic gloves, Makai shorts, AF2 boots.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Cheap Trick posted:

She casts Flare once then has to lie down for the rest of the day.

*shakes head*

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Renegret posted:

*shakes head*

blm.gif:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Renegret posted:

I won't be satisfied until I get a skill that lets me black mage so hard I implode my body and soul, like in the job quests.

late, but

give BLM explosion mechanics like Bright Wizard in Warhammer Online

no wait healers don't leave hear me out-

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Does anybody have a controller layout that they wouldn't mind sharing for WAR? I just resubbed to this game wanting to try controller since I'm couch gaming now, but I'm struggling to come up with a layout that feels natural.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sleng Teng posted:

Does anybody have a controller layout that they wouldn't mind sharing for WAR? I just resubbed to this game wanting to try controller since I'm couch gaming now, but I'm struggling to come up with a layout that feels natural.

I'll try and take a screenshot later tonight. How do you feel about double clicking the triggers?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Vargatron posted:

I'll try and take a screenshot later tonight. How do you feel about double clicking the triggers?

That's for the expanded cross bar right? That + hold feels the best to me so far so probably not an issue. Thanks a bunch!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Any skills on PLD I can just rip from my skill bars? With unlocking all role actions, there's just way too many buttons and they all won't fit in 3 skill bars.

It's annoying because skills like Tempered Will and Cover are so situational I don't expect to use them a ton, but are still too good to rip off my bar entirely. I'm only level 53 and I'm already struggling with hotbar space. From what I can tell, shield bash is the only truly useless skill.

The whole thing is souring me on tanking for the rest of this expansion, to be honest.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Nope. Paladin has the most buttons because it's the worst designed.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
welp

I already have DRK leveled to 70 and I struggled with skill bars there too. Especially since my computer nuked my skill bars a few months ago so I had to re-do that one from scratch.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm having the same problem with DRK. It feels like I have way too much for 3 bars, and hotkey/binding everything is basically not gonna happen. I was thinking I could maybe move Grit off a hotkey since for awhile it was "put on and forget" but it seems like ideal tanking has you toggling it off when you have some comfort so you can work in blood weapon.

I'm curious to see what will get cut with SB2. Doing the PVP thing and making single button combos could do a lot to help pretty much across the board.

Also, I'm around 54 but have played with some the skills up to 60 with PotD - am I correct to understand the basics of DRK is basically Darkside always on, Grit based on comfort, Soul Eater is the combo you want to be doing, Power Slash is just for aggro? Use DA to burn mana with combo finishers and some other abilities as your mana permits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Renegret posted:

Any skills on PLD I can just rip from my skill bars? With unlocking all role actions, there's just way too many buttons and they all won't fit in 3 skill bars.

It's annoying because skills like Tempered Will and Cover are so situational I don't expect to use them a ton, but are still too good to rip off my bar entirely. I'm only level 53 and I'm already struggling with hotbar space. From what I can tell, shield bash is the only truly useless skill.

The whole thing is souring me on tanking for the rest of this expansion, to be honest.

Shield Bash lets you interrupt problematic dungeon mobs (assuming there's no WHM) with huge AOEs like the sandworms in the Burn, letting you and the melee keep uptime higher. It's also essential in higher PotD/HoH floors.

Saint Freak posted:

Nope. Paladin has the most buttons because it's the worst designed.

Nah