Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

This is kind of an insane clash of civilizations way of viewing the world. I doubt China is out there chortling and rubbing their hands together over the opioid crisis.

They certainly allow the conditions to exist that have put America into the current opioid crisis and have been reluctant until recently to regulate or step in. I doubt it it is a coordinated weaponized effort but they certainly are aware of the effects and cost to the United States.

There are many academic papers written on this, it is a well worn topic of discussion and you are being naive sir.

E. It should be said Americans are also to blame since after all they are the consumer and could certainly have taken efforts to address this domestic issue before it became such a crisis.

This topic is something I'm only peripherally familiar with from a realist IR perspective.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

He's right you know.

Roger Ailes posted:

The only question is whether we depict Willie Horton with a knife in his hand or without it.

https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1069007599557910529

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 2, 2018

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Waroduce posted:

They certainly allow the conditions to exist that have put America into the current opioid crisis and have been reluctant until recently to regulate or step in. I doubt it it is a coordinated weaponized effort but they certainly are aware of the effects and cost to the United States.

There are many academic papers written on this, it is a well worn topic of discussion and you are being naive sir.

E. It should be said Americans are also to blame since after all they are the consumer and could certainly have taken efforts to address this domestic issue before it became such a crisis.

This topic is something I'm only peripherally familiar with from a realist IR perspective.

Why would China seriously concern itself with a domestic health situation in the United States? Also, they would obviously prefer getting the U.K. on fentanyl as payback for the opium wars.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Opium Wars III: Narcan Boogaloo

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Waroduce posted:

This legitimately is a side benefit of China chemical manufacturing sectors. Not to be as humorous or flippant as the above poster, but getting Americans addicted to and or killing them is a net positive for China from a zero sum international relations perspective. Both the United States and China are seen to be in competition to be the world's leading economy (regardless of the GDP difference) and if China can kill off enough Americans it can have wide ranging effects. I'm not super read into this but I have heard discussed that the resources being allocated to fight the opioid crisis could be better spent elsewhere. Scientific/pharmaceutical efforts and research are being wasted to provide answers , law enforcement and DEA have to do address it instead of dealing with other issues, tax dollars go to social programs to answer the drug epidemic instead of other social safety nets, not to mention the human cost of dead Americans. Each of those dead people have lost potential and could have done ~something~ with their lives. The sort of grandiose claim anti abortionists like to make about killing the baby that cures cancer sort of applies.

opiates have an actual medical use, they're not simply part of a plot by the inscrutable chinese to poison our western essence

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1069256897251950592

AOC added to her tweet about her congressional health care plans with some more really obvious commentary that no one ever really seems to bring up: no one likes actually choosing their healthcare plan.

This is great, because I feel like probably the biggest single point that needs to be harped on regarding healthcare reform is healthcare being "free at point of service." Basically, people shouldn't feel any need to hesitate before seeking healthcare, which they absolutely need to under our current system, even if they have "good" insurance.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Stexils posted:

are trump's kids even intelligent enough to commit financial crimes?

They are in that special zone of being smart enough to concoct schemes but dumb enough to think they'll get away with them.

Also Trump took after his father and used his kids as part of his own illegal poo poo. For example Ivanka, Jr, and Eric were all on the board of the Trump Foundation.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

VH4Ever posted:

I mean, he is human after all, meaning he's flesh and blood and fallible. Honestly, the cold hearted part of me does hope that like stress and doubt are now finally super-aging him in the way we've seen presidents aged by this job, and that finally on some level his own reality is caving in because, these are the times that presidents with vision and some sort of fortitude retreat a bit and regroup to fight a new day. He just does NOT have the constitution for that and never did.

He'll never be removed from office via impeachment, and won't be led away in cuffs. We made that choice long ago, we don't jail presidents no matter what they do. But knowing that his children won't be able to live an opulent life stolen off the backs of the suckers their dad grifted, and that some of them may see the inside of prison cells (Mueller willing), that might be enough for me. Not enough for society and the damage they've done but it's probably the best we'll get under the system we have. It's unusual enough for someone that rich to be torn down in such a way so remarkable for that reason if indeed it does happen.

It will never be enough for me until he leaves the White House in cuffs, or is wheeled out on a stretcher because his body gave out.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

zenguitarman posted:

Opium Wars III: Narcan Boogaloo

Yeah I’ve been living in China for last 10 years and it’s really weird to think of the government covertly supporting their industries selling opiates to the US, but OTOH I can’t imagine many Chinese people seeing it as anything other than payback. The US may not have been a belligerent in the Opium Wars but it was one of the major beneficiaries.

I mean China could I guess take revenge on the UK but it would be a bit like kicking a drunk who just fell over in the street, given our current state.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

King of Solomon posted:

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1069256897251950592

AOC added to her tweet about her congressional health care plans with some more really obvious commentary that no one ever really seems to bring up: no one likes actually choosing their healthcare plan.

It’s never been more obvious that we need more regular people in Congress because that’s what AOC is; hopefully DC doesn’t ruin her completely

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

cheetah7071 posted:

lol was trump so desperate to sign a trade deal he could shout maga over that he agreed to one that strengthens unions

broken clock, twice a day, stronger unions would Make America (like the imagined 1950s) Again. Bring back the 90% top percentile income tax and strong public unions but keep out the racism and sexism and organized crime.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

One of the more odious circles of Dante's Inferno?

Ytlaya posted:

This is great, because I feel like probably the biggest single point that needs to be harped on regarding healthcare reform is healthcare being "free at point of service." Basically, people shouldn't feel any need to hesitate before seeking healthcare, which they absolutely need to under our current system, even if they have "good" insurance.
A number of the comments are "I ASSUME you'll be giving up YOUR OWN healthcare in practice :smuggo:?" Which really shows the wide disconnected in people nowadays: she's all about lifting everyone not her up while they're all about shoving anyone not them down.

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 2, 2018

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

I wish other countries would TP the USA too.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1069276665367408641

General George Bush, the Eternal President.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The nation mourns eternal President George HW Bush.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

My personal Hell for a start

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Still amazing how "Toilet Paper USA" isn't a joke name.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Imagine being so far up your own rear end you had to post stupid poo poo like this just to keep your point

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
you people will wax poetic after war criminal Obama , the deporter in chief dies with your pathetic excuses of his ~decorum~

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Carlosologist posted:

It’s never been more obvious that we need more regular people in Congress because that’s what AOC is; hopefully DC doesn’t ruin her completely

I cant wait until she votes against something most of the thread wants and everyone turns on her.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

you people will wax poetic after war criminal Obama , the deporter in chief dies with your pathetic excuses of his ~decorum~

might want to be careful with the you-peoples in this context

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ah yes, where else can you find [GIANT LIST OF PEOPLE WHO REGULARLY APPEAR ON FOX NEWS]? That is a real puzzler, isn’t it Diapie—I mean Charlie.

:thunk:

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Your Taint posted:

I cant wait until she votes against something most of the thread wants and everyone turns on her.

At least that might put a stop to the breathless, fervent applause that follows every tweet she taps out

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/cnnnewsroom/status/1068967947844997120?s=21

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
She plays that MOBA I dont trust anyone that plays MOBAs.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Delthalaz posted:

At least that might put a stop to the breathless, fervent applause that follows every tweet she taps out

AOC owns, sorry she's not the lovely centrist you wanted.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Your Taint posted:

This seems unlikely as her entire appeal is she doesn't select policy stances based on what the national party has "common sense" about, like her predecessor.

PhazonLink posted:

AOC jungles Twitter.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The building could collapse and the world would be 100% better for it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

league was very popular. kinda the fortnite before fortnite.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Bingo baby. I've gotta get around to starting that donation fund every time she does something like this.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

AOC owns, sorry she's not the lovely centrist you wanted.

Actually I think AOC is awesome. It’s you I don’t like.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Delthalaz posted:

Actually I think AOC is awesome. It’s you I don’t like.

get in line

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This is really good

https://twitter.com/franklinfoer/status/1069271985438580736?s=21

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The right's greatest triumph was convincing people that political correctness is something only the left does.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I thought this dude left TPUSA after the diaper protest?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

you may be thinking of kent state girl, who was the tpusa chapter president of the diaper protest incident. she quit the organization after the social media blowback and kirk threw her under the bus

kirk and his lieutenant candace owens spend their time palling around the bottom tiers of washington dc instead of running tpusa and the org is crumbling

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 2, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Hell. My guess would be the fiery depths of blackest Hell.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

luxury handset posted:

you may be thinking of kent state girl, who was the tpusa chapter president of the diaper protest incident. she quit the organization after the social media blowback and kirk threw her under the bus

kirk and his liutenant candace owens spend their time palling around the bottom tiers of washington dc instead of running tpusa and the org is crumbling

I thought she quit because they weren't explicitly racist enough for her.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fister Roboto posted:

The right's greatest triumph was convincing people that political correctness is something only the left does.

Hardly surprising considering that the entire premise of "political correctness" is based on the idea that the default is white, straight, male, and protestant

Electric Phantasm posted:

Why would he leave over the clever and biting commentary?

He and his "cant be racist if you're black" bff Candice have been running around and giving lectures to tens of people to this day

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kirk's meltdown at politicon was more embarrassing than the diaper protest.