Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

idk its a pretty good empire, if you voluntarily try and leave it melts down your entire economy and society apparently

beats trying to leave the US empire which gets you bombed to the stone age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dead Beef posted:

Explain to this ignorant American: why did the UK vote to do something when it seems that nobody is sure what its consequences are going to be?

most of the people who voted for brexit will be dead in 10 years

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dead Beef posted:

Explain to this ignorant American: why did the UK vote to do something when it seems that nobody is sure what its consequences are going to be?

The right wing parties and the right wing sympathetic press sold the voters several lies regarding the cost/benefit and ease of Brexit because some of them never thought it would pass but would score them voters/money, some of them are badly informed idiots, some of them are racist idiots, some of them are idiots who believed their own lies and some are just cynic monsters that more easily want to hog the wealth of their countrymen and/or solidify their power. Many key political positions have been filled with people that would tick the boxes for several of the descriptions above.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Often Abbreviated posted:

Yes. The EU browbeats everyone via currency controls into focusing on exports then uses the currency/subsidies/pre-existing economic factors to ensure that only German industrial outputs are competitive. Everyone else becomes a low-value resource producing colony state for absorbing higher-value German goods. This gives Germany essentially infinite money for social services etc to keep their populace happy and still run a budget surplus, but comes at the expense of steadily burning down the rest of the continent.

It's an empire, and a real lovely one at that.

the eu really is the fourth reich lmao

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Yinlock posted:

the problem is that may is stupid enough to go through with it

its greed, not stupidity. her buddies will reap a killing (literally) from brexit. shock doctrine

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Dead Beef posted:

Because the average British reactionary really does believe, deep down, that "wogs begin at Calais".

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

the eu really is the fourth reich lmao

I wouldn't go that far just yet. The holocausts won't get started until the climate refugees really start moving.

edit: but a land war with Russia seems worryingly closer every year

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gonna be funny when "chunnel runners" becomes a legally recognized profession

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

KiteAuraan posted:

Not in the US though, social housing costs here are absolute bullshit with wait lists because we really are the worst.

Good public housing is like a real-estate, "public option.". In countries that do this, it works great.

Our public housing catches run-off from the market. It's for unprofitable people and it sucks so they constantly want out.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Vermain posted:

brexit's sole purposes seem to be generating an infinite series of incredibly entertaining headlines that are like, "britain to run out of food and water within 5 days of brexit" and publicly embarrassing elizabeth may at every possible opportunity

i'd be happy to consume brexit Content for years at this point

I may have to live with the consequences but the fundamentals of this analysis remain strong :hmmyes:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yes. The EU browbeats everyone via currency controls into focusing on exports then uses the currency/subsidies/pre-existing economic factors to ensure that only German industrial outputs are competitive. Everyone else becomes a low-value resource producing colony state for absorbing higher-value German goods. This gives Germany essentially infinite money for social services etc to keep their populace happy and still run a budget surplus, but comes at the expense of steadily burning down the rest of the continent.

It's an empire, and a real lovely one at that.

So the steadily rising standard of living as well as GDP in most east European members (at rate often lot faster than Germany) is just them setting up Lebensraum, then?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

CoL in Germany is ~850 euro, which is... 960 USD

Rent is 200 to 350 euro

Average income in Germany is 2800 euro a month

Maybe I should move to Germany
yeah I was only in Berlin for several days but it was amazing. super functional public transit running 24/7, always on time and clean and quick. so many bike lanes and very pleasureble nad relaxing biking around, and lots of cool architecture and all the amenitites of a very modern and clean city with shittons of great food for cheap.

would move there in a heartbeat if i could, unfortunately my job has me with better prospects in countries with earthquakes/sinking coasts and poor soil, germany has very little relevant. i have much much better chance at NZ, which is kinda a lovely lolbertarian regressive place but still better htan US at least

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the best part about the eu is labor can move with capital.

that still favors capital, but holy poo poo, its waaaaaaaaaay better than the poo poo we get in the united states

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

yeah I was only in Berlin for several days but it was amazing. super functional public transit running 24/7, always on time and clean and quick. so many bike lanes and very pleasureble nad relaxing biking around, and lots of cool architecture and all the amenitites of a very modern and clean city with shittons of great food for cheap.

would move there in a heartbeat if i could, unfortunately my job has me with better prospects in countries with earthquakes/sinking coasts and poor soil, germany has very little relevant. i have much much better chance at NZ, which is kinda a lovely lolbertarian regressive place but still better htan US at least

It's also because historically the German government provided big incentives to not have real estate bubbles and puts aside money each year for public housing funding.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

another question is that if and when the Queen dies, will Brexit be commemorated or dedicated to her in her honor

that'd be a hell of a way to tarnish gild her legacy for the ages

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the tories are fundamentally unable to not cock up brexit because they ideologically cannot conceive of doing anything. their imagination extends only to sit around with our thumb up our rear end (but look very severe while doing so) and let the market sort it out. its like if john "fundamentals" mccain were in charge during the 08 crisis

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they cant even comprehend the problem. they are so ideologically blinkered and comically out of touch that the concept of market forces loving everything up is something they still dont believe will happen

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

etalian posted:

It's also because historically the German government provided big incentives to not have real estate bubbles and puts aside money each year for public housing funding.

They wouldn't have to do that if their fundamentals house was in order.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dead Beef posted:

Because since the mid-70s they've been told that everything that's wrong with their lives is the fault of Yerp. Decimal currency? Yerp. Passports different colour*? Yerp. Trains suck? Yerp says we have to privatise them. NHS and the rest of the social safety net being underfunded to pay for a corporate tax break? Yerp says we have to take all these immigrants and it's obviously them using up all the medicine and housing.

Into all this you had the most ridiculously Westminster-bubble campaign possible for Remain, which basically boiled down to "Isn't life just great? Don't you want it to stay exactly the same way?" to a country where, for the majority of the population, things haven't been great for a very, very long time no matter who's in Number 10, and just straight-up lies printed on the side of buses by Leave.

Also why the gently caress would an American ask that question that way given what happened there the very same loving year?

* This sounds ridiculous but was in fact a major factor - when the UK changed from UK passports to EU ones, the colour of the cover changed from blue to red. This was purely a convenience for border guards, the EU rules allow member states to make their passports any colour they want. People are legit excited to get their blue passports back.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
UK will fix its economy when the queen executes everyone in the parliament and declares war on nazi USA when trump wins in 2024. gonna need so many bombs and nuke shelters built

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Teal posted:

So the steadily rising standard of living as well as GDP in most east European members (at rate often lot faster than Germany) is just them setting up Lebensraum, then?

Oh for god's sake, go read the EU thread before you start gassing about the Estonian tech boom like everyone else whose never bothered to look up the actual figures. Hint: GDP figures and standard of living for all those eastern European countries that the EU has so generously rescued have loving stagnated ever since they joined. They shot up in the post Soviet era, they joined the EU, then they went loving nowhere. I think Estonia (of the tech boom that goons trip over themselves to laud) is still struggling to recover to their 2007 GDP.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oh for god's sake, go read the EU thread before you start gassing about the Estonian tech boom like everyone else whose never bothered to look up the actual figures. Hint: GDP figures and standard of living for all those eastern European countries that the EU has so generously rescued have loving stagnated ever since they joined. They shot up in the post Soviet era, they joined the EU, then they went loving nowhere. I think Estonia (of the tech boom that goons trip over themselves to laud) is still struggling to recover to their 2007 GDP.

Also somewhat off topic but joining the EU also led to a mass migration/brain drain especially for young people.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also why the gently caress would an American ask that question that way given what happened there the very same loving year?

I wonder how much of Brexit was a, "gently caress it," vote along these lines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxDRqeuLNag

P.S. Moore said ^this^ before the election

edit:
Also, I've seen people argue that Brexit's being accepted by the polity as an opportunity for further social re-engineering like has already been seen:
https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1063412394041507840

But I don't follow Brexit/UK Politics. Any strong opinions? Could the bastards use Brexit-related stress to finally rip up the NHS, for example?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 3, 2018

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

I wonder how much of Brexit was a, "gently caress it," vote along these lines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxDRqeuLNag

P.S. Moore said ^this^ before the election

edit:
Also, I've seen people argue that Brexit's being accepted by the polity as an opportunity for further social re-engineering like has already been seen:
https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1063412394041507840

But I don't follow Brexit/UK Politics. Any strong opinions? Could the bastards use Brexit-related stress to finally rip up the NHS, for example?

Privatization in the style of the US has been suggested as part of a future trade deal between the US and the UK to necessarily harmonize the two markets. Not sure how well that could be sold to the public though, seeing as the NHS is quite popular and the US system is known to be crap.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

absolutely yes lol. the magical US free trade deal they will need and be negotiating from a position of abject desperation and powerlessness will certainly require the nhs and every other aspect of the social safety net to be privatised and opened up to "competition" by american healthcare vampires as a condition

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
David Cameron won re-election on a promise to hold a referendum on leaving the EU in order to pander to and win votes from UKIP and the other elements of the far-right.

He did win ... but then he had to run the referendum, which he then had to campaign against.

Leave campaigned on all the savings from leaving the EU translating to more and better government service, which would sound pretty good for a nation that's been in the deep throes of austerity for about a decade. That and all the nativism and racism against immigrants.

Remain campaigned on largely retaining the status quo, which sucked poo poo for a lot of people.

There might have been a way to negotiate an EU exit that would not totally gently caress-over the UK, but the Tories aren't interested in, nor are they capable of, doing that.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the tories are absolutely making lemonade of the brexit lemons by planning to social engineer further austerity. they arent even really hiding it

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
You'd think that would make them unpopular, but look at the US. Are British liberals also willfully dense?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Ayn Randi posted:

absolutely yes lol. the magical US free trade deal they will need and be negotiating from a position of abject desperation and powerlessness will certainly require the nhs and every other aspect of the social safety net to be privatised and opened up to "competition" by american healthcare vampires as a condition

If US manages not to collapse immediately after a semi-competent fascist gets power, how long will it take UK rightwingers to try and form some technically-nonbinding confederation that functionally relegates the former major power to being the 51st state?

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That was the point, I was being facetious. Sorry.

I live around people who elected a reality TV star to be President. What I'm saying is lol everything sucks.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

silentsnack posted:

If US manages not to collapse immediately after a semi-competent fascist gets power, how long will it take UK rightwingers to try and form some technically-nonbinding confederation that functionally relegates the former major power to being the 51st state?

dropping the uk into the us commonwealth with samoa and micronesia would be lmao as gently caress

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Truga posted:

UK will fix its economy when the queen executes everyone in the parliament and declares war on nazi USA when trump wins in 2024. gonna need so many bombs and nuke shelters built

By then we'll all be seeing marketing for Donnie Jrs' doomsday shelters anyhow.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

looking forward to re-watching Children of Men in 2027 and seeing how overly optimistic it was

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it's going to be one hell of a banger when Charles is made king and his realm is in the thrall of a full-blown Brexit

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

looking forward to re-watching Children of Men in 2027 and seeing how overly optimistic it was

lol yeah pretty much

loving crazy that movie, i havent seen it since like 2008 but id imagine its even more depressing now, prolly should do that next weekend

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Xaris posted:

lol yeah pretty much

loving crazy that movie, i havent seen it since like 2008 but id imagine its even more depressing now, prolly should do that next weekend

it and southland tales have aged really poorly

little bit on the nose now

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

it and southland tales have aged really poorly

little bit on the nose now

is that worth watching? (southland tales)

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/business/status/1069413692553527297

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the fundamentals are back baby! awooo (wolf howl)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
100% the bump before the bottom falls out imo