Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

poo poo I'm 1-6-1 in my League right now (W/L/D). Everyone says Death Guard are overpowered, but at the end of the day you can't beat awful dice. But yea, Chaos Marines are in a real bad place and there's no doubt that the factions aren't well balanced (Imbalance? In a GW game? I'll believe it when I see it!)

Looking forward to my first AoS game sometime next month once my LGS' Kill Team League finishes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Making those Disgustingly Resilient rolls feels good though. I love the Plague Spewer so much in practice, just jam up a lane and dare someone to charge you.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Should I be expecting new moon clan in the next few months or any time from now until end of 2019 based on GW's track record? I'm sticking to 40k until they release although skellingtons keep calling me back.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

They’ve been so heavily hinted and teased that I’m guessing Moonclan will be the big thing for AoS in January.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Going to field my Hallowed Knight Stormcasts for the first time this weekend, new opponent using Gutbusters, an army I have zero experience against.

1. Does Only the Faithful seriously apply to my units and his? Seems like the only army trait that is just as negative for me as positive with the auto unbind on a 6. Especially bad when using Sacrosanct units.

2. Any tips for dealing with Gutbusters? I figure I will have a strong advantage in grabbing objectives.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Going to field my Hallowed Knight Stormcasts for the first time this weekend, new opponent using Gutbusters, an army I have zero experience against.

1. Does Only the Faithful seriously apply to my units and his? Seems like the only army trait that is just as negative for me as positive with the auto unbind on a 6. Especially bad when using Sacrosanct units.

2. Any tips for dealing with Gutbusters? I figure I will have a strong advantage in grabbing objectives.

1. Yeah its pretty lovely if you're going to be trying to buff your own guys with spells, since it doesn't discriminate. The Command Ability is real good and kinda makes up for it though.

2. You have the advantage of just dropping half your army from the sky wherever, but he is potentially much faster than you due to extra Destruction moves. If he's playing a bunch of grots he may also outnumber you, but most ogor players I've seen don't.

You gotta buff the defense of your guys (not much rend on Ogor weapons but they hit like trucks) and/or give them -1 to hit so that they hit on 5s (get Shock and Awe charges in if nothing else). Pick off their heroes if you can then inflict lots of battleshock casualties.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
So, odd question. Anyone here played Speed Freaks yet, and if so how adaptable might the basic rules be to doing some sort of wacky chariot/mount based AoS equivalent? My group likes doing odd narrative and non-standard scenario type stuff a lot, I was thinking that could be pretty fun if it worked.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
You could mix trukks with boars from the old chariot kits or the new ironjawz boars pulling trukk flat beds for a mix of vehicles in 40k or just straight chariots in AoS. One could add 40k bits into the boar riders for Nob biker stand ins since the ork biker unit is a little bit older an look just a bit wimpy to be Nob sized.

For rules if its a home brew narrative give fast stuff an extra movement or so, keep in mind Iron Jawz get a ton of utlities an bonuses to advancing an charging already, you likely won't have to tweak too much.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

1. As worded, yes. Only the Faithful means you won't want to be casting magic buffs on your units, so Evocators using Empower or casting Speed of Lightning on themselves isn't really an option. You can get by with a more offensive loadout like Staff of Focus + your spell of choice, but you might want to field either a bunch of ranged firepower or some Retributors instead of Evocators. Also lobby GW to read it to say enemy spells instead because :vomarine:

2. You will have a decent advantage in objective grabbing, but Gutbusters hit hard and have some pretty casual access to mortal wounds (I think they deal a few on the charge but I might be wrong). They have multiple wounds and their low model count means battleshock is less of a problem for them. However, they don't have very high saves. I'd pack Judicators for sure to pick off their Butcher (most Gutbusters players should have a Butcher for magic access), and look out for any Endless Spells they try and bring. They like the cogs in particular. Buff up your front line with a Castellant to make sure they get to hit back, and keep back something cheap like 5 Liberators or some Prosecutors to deep strike for objectives.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Thanks for the tips!

Bummer about Only the Faithful. I think that is one of the only sub-faction traits I have seen with a negative effect, so surely it is just poorly worded. Hope they FAQ that.

My army options are limited. Still building some units, and want to add a Lord Exorcist and Lord Ordinator is I can field the Grand Convocation and Hailstorm Battery. Here is what I have ready:

Stormcast Hallowed Knights (1500)
Lord Arcanum
Lord Relictor
Knight Incantor
Knight Incantor
Sequitors x 5
Sequitors x 5
Castigators x 3
Celestar Ballista
Evocators x 5
Prosecutors x 3
Quicksilver Swords, soulsnare shackles, malevolent maelstrom

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Thanks for the tips!

Bummer about Only the Faithful. I think that is one of the only sub-faction traits I have seen with a negative effect, so surely it is just poorly worded. Hope they FAQ that.

My army options are limited. Still building some units, and want to add a Lord Exorcist and Lord Ordinator is I can field the Grand Convocation and Hailstorm Battery. Here is what I have ready:

Stormcast Hallowed Knights (1500)
Lord Arcanum
Lord Relictor
Knight Incantor
Knight Incantor
Sequitors x 5
Sequitors x 5
Castigators x 3
Celestar Ballista
Evocators x 5
Prosecutors x 3
Quicksilver Swords, soulsnare shackles, malevolent maelstrom

I think you need 3 Battleline units at 1,500?

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

TKIY posted:

I think you need 3 Battleline units at 1,500?

Hm it comes up valid on BattleScribe, but the GH 2018 and Azyr actually don’t say you can do 1500 points. GH page 48 says you can agree to plus / minus 250 points. Weird restriction...I am used to being able to play any point value we select and 1500 was always a common one, but this is from my Oldhammer days.

I have some Liberators in my assembly line so I can get a unit of 5 ready for the table if needed.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
The warscroll builder let's you choose Vanguard(1000), Battlehost(2000) or Warhost(2500) but then it let's you adjust between + or - 250 or 500. So if you treat it as a vanguard +500, 2 battlelines is fine. I'm not sure if this gives some factions an advantage, though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Technically according to the rulebook you only get 250 pt variance, so 1500 is impossible.

If you and your opponent can come to an agreement though go nuts.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Whats the current status of the dwarfpirates? Worth anything?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

DJ Dizzy posted:

Whats the current status of the dwarfpirates? Worth anything?

From what I've seen, they have one list that's kinda okay (clown car Endrinriggers), but aren't really competitive with anything else. Still awesome models, but with Arkanauts being their only battleline, their ships having really high save rolls, no real magic to speak of in a magic-heavy meta, and a limited amount of unit types means they're being outclassed these days. I'd expect them to get heavy buffs in the GHB 2019 but that's not till next May/June.

They are still :krad: models with a great thematic vibe, and they look fun as all hell to play. Just don't expect to win much.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The Christmas Battleforces are up for pre-order now. Just grabbed a Seraphon and Idoneth one.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Plavski posted:

The Christmas Battleforces are up for pre-order now. Just grabbed a Seraphon and Idoneth one.

That Daughters one is kinda a huge deal for what you get. Might have to jump on that, even if I don't strictly need some of the box.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Apparently the Lizard Box is a $210 dollar deal.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ripperdactyls are obscenely expensive to buy as a kit.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

As Seraphon are looking like my army of choice, I went back and ordered another Battleforce box for them as there are so many multi-kits in the box that very little of it would be wasted. Thanks to third party Warhams shops, another Battleforce was only around 20 euro more than a Start Collecting from the GW site, and with it being time limited, it seemed like a no-brainer. If I really need saurus warriors I can always pick up an SC box later.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

My 40k buddies are getting into Age of Sigmar with the battleforce boxes. One's getting Slaves to Darkness, the other is getting Seraphon. I'll get in myself once my 40k backlog isn't as big, I was thinking Nighthaunt looks awesome.

I want to get them some Sigmar figures each for Christmas, but I don't quite understand army building rules yet. They seem looser than 40k, would I be fine getting them a leader or unit from within the grand alliance for each? So Chaos for Slaves to Darkness and Order for Seraphon? The Slaves to Darkness guy really like Skaven, so I wanted to get him some Skaven.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Its sort of a "yes and no" to your question. Yes, you can build an army consisting of anything within a grand alliance. However more focused armies (i.e. anything with a battletome or featured in the generals handbook, AOSs chapter approved) tends to be more powerful than a vague army. Better abilities, relics, spells and some have battalions (formations).

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I've heard Slann Starmaster is a shoe-in for basically any Seraphon army so that's probably a decent way to go for that side.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah AoS has sort of gone in the opposite direction from 40k 8e in that in AoS, soup armies are generally less powerful over all than a focused army and tournament level lists generally either mono-faction or only feature select models as allies rather than a broadly mixed force.

Of course if you're not building for tournament play then having allied troops/heroes is unlikely to be too detrimental. For Slaves to Darkness you could always get them a daemon prince, as they can be configured to go with basically any Chaos army.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Man, the Deepkin box is making me really consider dumping my Stormcast for the fish elves :coolfish:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

I was thinking Nighthaunt looks awesome.

I want to get them some Sigmar figures each for Christmas

Why not split Soul Wars?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Why not split Soul Wars?

I'm probably going to get that in a few months. Right now my backlog's too big.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I'm going to use a grail reliquary as ... Something for Nagash forces.

What could it reasonably be used as?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Clawtopsy posted:

I'm going to use a grail reliquary as ... Something for Nagash forces.

What could it reasonably be used as?

Wight King on a steed is the obvious choice.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Dusting off the thread to say that a) I caved and bought the fish elves and b) I'm gonna go through the OPs and give a better indication of how to start the game, since a lot of posts recently have been "how do I get into this" and that means the OP clearly isn't doing its job!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Deleter posted:

Dusting off the thread to say that a) I caved and bought the fish elves and b) I'm gonna go through the OPs and give a better indication of how to start the game, since a lot of posts recently have been "how do I get into this" and that means the OP clearly isn't doing its job!

People also don't read the OP.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Seconded. The how to get in section is very clear and helpful.

Edit: Maybe add on Endless spells in there too for things to grab.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Anyone playing against Chaos Dwarves? Not sure however to deal with magma cannon spam with SCE. Auto hitting mortal wounds is pretty tough to deal with...

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

TKIY posted:

Anyone playing against Chaos Dwarves? Not sure however to deal with magma cannon spam with SCE. Auto hitting mortal wounds is pretty tough to deal with...

Stormcast struggle against Mortal wounds. I think your best bet is that it only has a 4+ save and 6 wounds so if you get something hard hitting onto it you can kill it fairly easily. You could probably hurl some Prosecutors at it to tie it up for a turn or two, although 100 points spent to tie up 140 points is not great. I don't have anything for Chaos Dwarves in general, honestly.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

TKIY posted:

Deep strike and charge unless you have a lot of long range (24”+) shooting that you can just peck them down with. Or even better would be the 36”+ stuff like Everblaze Comet and Ballistas.

Your main advantage against them is your deep striking and slight speed advantage, and most SCE shooting outranges the Magma Cannons without a daemonsmith nearby.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I didn't want to resort to a Gav bomb but I bet it would be effective.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Quick question regarding Flesh Eaters:

So when I cast Unholy Vitality and get it off, do I effectively have 3 saves on a unit? (armor + deathless + vitality), or does it just make the deathless save better?

i've been playing the latter but reading online it looks like the former is true. if the former is true, could someone link something about it explaining it? that seems a little bananas

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Business Gorillas posted:

Quick question regarding Flesh Eaters:

So when I cast Unholy Vitality and get it off, do I effectively have 3 saves on a unit? (armor + deathless + vitality), or does it just make the deathless save better?

i've been playing the latter but reading online it looks like the former is true. if the former is true, could someone link something about it explaining it? that seems a little bananas

There is currently no cap on extra saves.

So yeah, you could have armor and then the 6++ deathless and then the 5++ vitality.

I would not be very surprised if they finally fix it in the next GHB, but honestly I am surprised a lot at the stuff they don't change.

God I would love a blanket "All abilities proc on unmodified 6's" instead of 6+

My poor Blightkings and minuses to hit :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

My two seraphon and one deepkin battleforce boxes arrived yesterday. That's... that's a lot of plastic. Gonna keep one seraphon all boxed up in case putting together the first is such a headwreck that I want no more part of it and I can just sell it on. I'm already swearing like a trooper at skink shields...