Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
literally geoge bush killed jfk and everybofy knows this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im pretty dwasted joemenutum make the case

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/kthorjensen/status/1069085778242760704

:angel:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

So I'll just mark you down as being in favor of universal open carry.

Kinda funny how your last lovely argument got annihilated with a single sentence and you just ignored it to shitpost again lol.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Out of money lol

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/11/ken-paxton-rosa-ortega-texas-punishment-accident-voting-illegally.html

quote:

Earlier this month, the Texas 2nd Court of Appeals affirmed Rosa Maria Ortega’s eight-year prison sentence for illegal voting. Attorney General Ken Paxton celebrated the decision in a triumphant press release boasting of Ortega’s draconian punishment. But there is nothing just about the fact that Ortega may spend the next eight years languishing behind bars for unknowingly casting illegal ballots. To the contrary, her sentence is wildly out of proportion with her crime—the possible result of prosecutorial chicanery during closing arguments that has no place in a courtroom.
On appeal, Ortega argued that prosecutors had biased the jury through inflammatory statements at the punishment phase of the trial. In urging the jury to impose a stringent sentence, one prosecutor declared:

quote:

And I just want to throw out one thought to you. You came back with the right verdict, that if you hadn’t, if you’d come back with a not guilty, can you imagine the floodgates that would be open to illegal voting in this county?

As civil rights attorney Sasha Samberg-Champion has noted, this admonition is totally inappropriate. Rather than encourage the jury to focus on fair punishment for Ortega’s offense, the prosecutors exhorted jurors to use her as an example, warning that a light sentence would directly increase “illegal voting.” It is, as Samberg-Champion put it, “conviction by Fox News fearmongering,” raising grave due process concerns. Ortega’s lawyers recognized the problem, quickly objecting that “that’s an improper argument here at sentencing.”

But the trial court overruled the objection. So Ortega asked the appeals court to overturn the sentence, alleging, quite sensibly, that it was impermissibly tainted by this “improper and inflammatory jury argument.” The court declined—not because it found the prosecutor’s statement to be permissible but because, it insisted, her attorney had not objected correctly. Clark Birdsall, Ortega’s defense counsel, should have said he objected because it was “outside the record,” the appeals court wrote. By failing to state “the specific grounds” for his objection at trial, Birdsall forfeited his ability to raise this claim on appeal.
Official paperwork revealed that Ortega presented her resident alien card and Social Security card to register, acknowledging that she was not a citizen. For some reason, Dallas County registered her anyway. (She registered as a Republican.)

lol owned

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Still my favorite Milo failure story was how the lawsuit led to marked up version of his lovely book being released to the general public for laughs.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

etalian posted:

Still my favorite Milo failure story was how the lawsuit led to marked up version of his lovely book being released to the general public for laughs.

Milo is exactly why every right-wing windbag who threatens to sue never actually follows through. Discovery is a beautiful and hideous and wonderful thing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Milo is exactly why every right-wing windbag who threatens to sue never actually follows through. Discovery is a beautiful and hideous and wonderful thing.

Sort of reminds me of back of the day when I turned in a half rear end assignments to a teacher and got sent back with all the red mark-ups.

Milo basically tried to make a whole book on the above promise.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Didn't he like two months ago post a pic of his bar tab and it was like $7,000

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Philthy posted:

Well, the third option is to move to heavily regulated capitalism. Which, honestly, I'm okay with. Not "second amendment well-regulated", but, you get 5% markup on your prescription drug. Period. Oh, you were charging too much in overdraft fees? You now can no longer charge them, or anything else to make up for that lost revenue. Your food poisoned a few hundred people? You have a few million in fines, have to cover all those peoples medical costs for life, and now you have 5 FDA employees you have to pay out your own pocket to work out of offices on-site for the next 10 years.

my man look at any history of organized labor. the capitalist will try to murder you regardless of if you try to impact their bottom line by 5% or 100%. if you're putting your life on the line either way, why not go for the whole plate?

Business Gorillas has issued a correction as of 21:20 on Dec 2, 2018

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

BraveUlysses posted:

hosed up to search through your roommates poo poo but magachuds are dumb sooooo they still deserve it

its also hosed up to presumably hide weapons in a shared living space without informing your roommates so maybe the truth is in the middle, op

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Until open chuddery is legally considered hate speech, you gotta find your angles where you can.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Business Gorillas posted:

its also hosed up to presumably hide weapons in a shared living space without informing your roommates so maybe the truth is in the middle, op

Yeah, this is what's getting lost.

The other roommates likely didn't ask if she was going to keep guns in the place, and she didn't volunteer, which is super lovely to not disclose, and then they had some reason to suspect that she was keeping guns around, such as social media posts, seeing them, being told by friends or former roommates, etc.

I've personally lived with roommates who kept guns and had no problem, but I've also had roommates who, if they had guns, I would either demanded they store them elsewhere or not move in / move out after I found out and they refused.

Part of responsible gun ownership is that the folks you live with also know about any guns in the place.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Kinda funny how your last lovely argument got annihilated with a single sentence and you just ignored it to shitpost again lol.

I think you read a WHOLE lot more into my post than I actually said, friend.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

etalian posted:

Out of money lol

him and bannon getting cut off by the mercers then instantly collapsing is pretty lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

him and bannon getting cut off by the mercers then instantly collapsing is pretty lmao

So much for these advocates of fiscal responsibility.....

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Azathoth posted:

God bless the idiots who think court is like Law and Order or Phoenix Wright for their contributions to laughs.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Levi_Davidson04/status/1069300937427177472?s=20

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Happy_Home_Makr/status/1069351337761153024?s=20

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
These nutters fall for the same rethorical tricks over and over. Love it.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

ps i definitely didn't write this myself

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What is going to happen to these people if Trump loses in 2020.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

What is going to happen to these people if Trump loses in 2020.

a few of them will shoot up synagogues and pizza parlors or mail more bombs to politicians and the rest will just further retreat into insane fox news paranoia

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shear Modulus posted:

a few of them will shoot up synagogues and pizza parlors or mail more bombs to politicians and the rest will just further retreat into insane fox news paranoia

https://www.amazon.com/When-Prophecy-Fails-Leon-Festinger/dp/1578988527

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
tldr: most will quit, some will double down, prester jane is right but she got scooped by a dude who died in the 80s

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
#PAIN

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

lol if the Qultists are feeling alienated even in Wichita.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/Levi_Davidson04/status/1069440066240548864?s=19

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm legit afraid someone is gonna do another OKC kind of bombing.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Azathoth posted:

I'm legit afraid someone is gonna do another OKC kind of bombing.

whats bad about that? it got the fbi to actually slap a few nazis down for a decade

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

got any sevens posted:

whats bad about that? it got the fbi to actually slap a few nazis down for a decade

The massive loss of life for one thing...

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

got any sevens posted:

Ok cool, but this time instead of a daycare center we can just have you sitting in an empty room when the bomb goes off.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Post Trump voters still in denial that they’re going to die under Trump here

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
when red america finally comes to grips with being conned by trump it's gunna be iraq wmds all over again, just an utter refusal to reflect on how they were tricked or even acknowledge that the libtards understood things better than them

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
basically like when homer simpson grifts the carnies and they say there's no shame in being beaten by the best

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

got any sevens posted:

Quite a hot take there, friendo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWz4yIcRAT4

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

got any sevens posted:

irony poisoning is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

got any sevens posted:

:chloe: