Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

That would be FANTASTIC for AMD....

....just as soon as they completely un-gently caress their APU graphics driver stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That would be FANTASTIC for AMD....

....just as soon as they completely un-gently caress their APU graphics driver stack.

is it the apu driver stack or the way 3rd parties override amd on drivers?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Palladium posted:

I wondering just how big is that "I'm dirt poor but I also insist on not buying refurb/used" segment the 200GE is aimed at.
As a kid haver devoting all my spending to their toys, I consider myself in the "I'm dirt poor" segment
I'm totally fine with buying used parts, but I want AM4 and DDR4 RAM which is not very common on the used market, the 200ge would lessen the blow of a platfrom upgrade and allow me to get a better CPU later.

And the current fastest CPU I own is a Phenom II 840- a 10yr old 3.2GHz quad core. I think the 200ge might be faster?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

wargames posted:

is it the apu driver stack or the way 3rd parties override amd on drivers?

I tried to write this post and started over three times before giving up.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I found a Hardware Unboxed video talking about it. Just the front half is about it, the rest can be skipped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc4mld0o9_I

I am personally invested in AMD unfucking their poo poo, because my brother purchased one of those HP Envy x360s on my recommendation.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

As a kid haver devoting all my spending to their toys, I consider myself in the "I'm dirt poor" segment
I'm totally fine with buying used parts, but I want AM4 and DDR4 RAM which is not very common on the used market, the 200ge would lessen the blow of a platfrom upgrade and allow me to get a better CPU later.

And the current fastest CPU I own is a Phenom II 840- a 10yr old 3.2GHz quad core. I think the 200ge might be faster?

Were you being sarcastic?

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-840-vs-AMD-Athlon-200GE/m3302vsm592714

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Been trying to figure out if 2700x under full load at 69C is too hot, or acceptable. I can push it a little lower if I crank the cooling system to max.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Been trying to figure out if 2700x under full load at 69C is too hot, or acceptable. I can push it a little lower if I crank the cooling system to max.

Artificial full load via something like Prime95? Or an actual all core workload? For the former 69 is probably OK, for the later it's probably on the border of being OK.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
69c is perfectly fine. The max temp before thermal throttling is 85c. Then if it continues to heat up it just turns itself off. It’s not the old days where CPUs cook themselves.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

Artificial full load via something like Prime95? Or an actual all core workload? For the former 69 is probably OK, for the later it's probably on the border of being OK.

Like, running folding@home on max.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Like, running folding@home on max.

Pretty sure the FAH client supports AVX so that's pretty normal temperature wise.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

Pretty sure the FAH client supports AVX so that's pretty normal temperature wise.

Cool, it's been quite some time since I've had an AMD CPU so I wasn't sure if that was normal or not.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMD roadmap leak for next year. X570 will supposedly launch at Computex (May 28 - June 1) which I imagine they would launch with the Matisse/Zen 2 parts as a way to officially put PCIe4 on the desktop. Although maybe Zen2 could launch later if AMD needed.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Probably not until 2H2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I can live with that. Or rather, my wallet can. If it comes with a decent speed and IPC bump, it'll be my last CPU upgrade for a while. Zen 2 will probably bring the last worthwhile performance bump for the next few years.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
TR Zen2 might even be first half of 2020, god knows what the demand for Rome might be.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
They use lesser dies right? The io die looks to be what would be crippled or harvested. TR has always sort of been a yield improvement program

Hmmm I really need to upgrade ol 5820k since it's falling behind in compilation tasks but I would really like more than a 2c/4t jump but I'm limited by mini itx :/

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

The tiny rear end core dies are likely to have great yields which is why amd can be so aggressive on price

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Malcolm XML posted:

They use lesser dies right? The io die looks to be what would be crippled or harvested. TR has always sort of been a yield improvement program

The opposite, actually, TR is harvested from the top 5% of Zen dies. This leads to funny things like the 2950x having a higher max turbo than the 2700x, despite having twice as many cores. I guess they don't bin the 2700x as much as they did the 1800x, even when there's no 2800x.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Finally got around to ripping out the nvme drive and just putting my 850 Pro SATA drive in as the main drive and so far everything seems good. I'll troubleshoot the nvme drive later- or I'll just sell it.

I'm happy as hell with my 2700x so far. It's a huge step up from my 3770k that served me well for like 6 years or so.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Combat Pretzel posted:

I can live with that. Or rather, my wallet can. If it comes with a decent speed and IPC bump, it'll be my last CPU upgrade for a while. Zen 2 will probably bring the last worthwhile performance bump for the next few years.

Are you kidding? It's the first product on a new process, there's miles and miles of improvement to go.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Are you kidding? It's the first product on a new process, there's miles and miles of improvement to go.

Tick tock tock on the new process will be interesting, especially since it's a quad patterning vs. true EUV, which should be coming like H2 2019. TR 2/2+/3 is gonna be REALLY interesting from a generational improvements perspective.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Malcolm XML posted:

Nah, the highest-end Threadripper SKUs used the absolute best dies. They've always correspondingly clocked higher out of the box than the consumer Ryzen CPUs.
1950X XFR 4.2, 1800X XFR 4
2950X XFR 4.4, 2700X XFR 4.3

eames
May 9, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

TR has always sort of been a yield improvement program

Here's the story behind Threadripper, I think I posted it a while back. Very cool stuff imo.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2017/09/05/amd-ryzen-threadripper-the-fascinating-story-behind-the-processor-that-beat-intel/

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Desuwa posted:

The opposite, actually, TR is harvested from the top 5% of Zen dies. This leads to funny things like the 2950x having a higher max turbo than the 2700x, despite having twice as many cores. I guess they don't bin the 2700x as much as they did the 1800x, even when there's no 2800x.

Lesser dies than epyc I mean

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Interesting. I was under the impression they basically took epyc products that didn't meet the cut and sold em as TR like intel does with xeons and HEDT

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I had no idea my CPU was that new, but I am genuinely surprised a dual core 3.2GHz could perform as fast or faster than my 3.2GHz quad core. Is the dual core faster at core intensive take like DVD ripping video encoding?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
For just a little bit more ~30 to 40 more $ you can get a 2200G and then the comparison is comical.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-840-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-2200G/m3302vsm441832

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Crotch Fruit posted:

I had no idea my CPU was that new, but I am genuinely surprised a dual core 3.2GHz could perform as fast or faster than my 3.2GHz quad core. Is the dual core faster at core intensive take like DVD ripping video encoding?

Pretty sure the Phenom II X4 840 came out circa 2011-2012. Because that's most certainly when I got mine, paired with an 880GM motherboard. It transitioned to full time Plex server duty in late 2013, and I finally got around to replacing it this year with a handful of server upgrades.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think trying to predict several years ahead in this game is just foolish in general, no way would I have predicted $130 8-core CPUs just a couple years back.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

teagone posted:

Pretty sure the Phenom II X4 840 came out circa 2011-2012. Because that's most certainly when I got mine, paired with an 880GM motherboard. It transitioned to full time Plex server duty in late 2013, and I finally got around to replacing it this year with a handful of server upgrades.
CPU world says it was released January 2011, it's kinda amazing and depressing that my CPU is so old.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

The page says </=2014, so I think they don't do any dates before that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Crotch Fruit posted:

CPU world says it was released January 2011, it's kinda amazing and depressing that my CPU is so old.

It was a great budget gaming CPU option back then imo, mine lasted a good long while in my gaming PC before I jumped to Intel when Haswell was released. Looking back at my email receipts, I picked up my Phenom II X4 840 back in March of 2011 from Micro Center for $100. ~7 years later I got a Ryzen 3 2200G for $80 from the same Micro Center to replace it. It had a good run :unsmith:

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 3, 2018

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If this is real :shepspends:

That 20CU 8C/16T looks loving bonkers for some VFIO stuff. I desperately want that 3920X. 32C/64T at 5GHz inspires some deeply horny thoughts.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
TIL AMD still has products named Duron in their stack.

Duron. loving DURON.

Also, that 3600GX, tho. 8c/16t AND an RX 565 stapled to it?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 3, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, Deneb rocked. I had a three core part with the 4th core BIOS unlocked (which is hilarious that was even a thing) that was my primary from ‘09 to 2016. Def up there with the orig 486 DX for the longest run I’ve gotten out of a CPU.

E: ^^^ I prolly built 50+ systems using Socket A Dirt-rons. Great budget chia with cheap DDR mobos. The later Applebred Durons could be turned into full T-bred Athlons with a pencil, lol

Cygni fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 3, 2018

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

TIL AMD still has products named Duron in their stack.

Duron. loving DURON.

Also, that 3600GX, tho. 8c/16t AND an RX 565 stapled to it?

Yeah, I don't even know what to think of the use case for that besides entry level gaming and awesome productivity. I'm fully into it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Gonna rock that 3970wx

Edit: For halarity sake I think they should make a TR with 64 cores and a Vega64 on it as well. Call it the TR64^2 or some poo poo.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 3, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NewFatMike posted:

That 20CU 8C/16T looks loving bonkers for some VFIO stuff. I desperately want that 3920X. 32C/64T at 5GHz inspires some deeply horny thoughts.

calling bullshit because it's overall crazy overhype and also that 8c / 20CU is both dumb (from a market standpoint*) and improbable.

you realize that if they do zen2 with integrated GPU, it would either need to be a custom respin or put the iGPU on the I/O chip? If it is a respin I doubt it would be on their list yet. If it were on the I/O that means 14nm, so cramming a RX56½ and the zen2 chip in one package seems difficult.

*exceptions: it's related work to the chip that goes in the next consoles, or apple asked AMD to make a chip for their next imac.

edit: also, "estimated non-exotic overclock" yeah right that seems like a completely normal heading on a OEM product list

Klyith fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

NewFatMike posted:

Icept posted:

Anyone think AMD is going to follow Intels footsteps and do a Ryzen 9 this next generation?

Pending actual confirmation...