Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Breetai posted:

Just got my first fire starter, what's the common consensus on the best weapons to load it up with? I'm thinking maybe all machine guns and medium lasers so that I can overheat as I'm closing and then some cool down while punching.
Yeah, I think that's the best build. Full MLs and MGs, one ton ammo, no JJs, pretty heavy armor. It runs even hotter now with the 12 heat per ML, though, so I've had to take rounds off shooting when I couldn't get in punching (or at least MG) range, especially in lunar etc. battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Eldragon posted:

I've done maybe 6 flashpoints; still have not seen a Hatchetman, except for the one that lets you borrow one for a single mission. Am I missing something on where to get one?

Just run missions where you fight mediums. They spawn the same as other mediums.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Eldragon posted:

I've done maybe 6 flashpoints; still have not seen a Hatchetman, except for the one that lets you borrow one for a single mission. Am I missing something on where to get one?

I've ran into plenty hatchetmen, but no flashpoints (maybe because campaign?)

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just run missions where you fight mediums. They spawn the same as other mediums.

Ah, since I'm post campaign, there are no mediums to fight. I'd buy one; but the stores are random.

Slight oversight on HBS's part: If you are continuing your game you don't actually get to see the new mechs they added.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If you want a feee roam mech simulator start up a career game. The planet difficulties never get skewed by the plot so you have half through five skulls available all game.

Honesty playing the campaign after it finishes is just kind of a shittier version of career mode.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
glass cannon backstabbing firestarter:
3 ML 1 SL 5 MG
1 heatsink 4 JJ

on a turn when you have morale built up, jump behind a mech that carries ammo and unload everything on whichever torso slot has the most fireworks. even against a tanky boi the lasers are likely to get through rear armor, then those lovely crit-seeking MGs are free to do their thing.

the heatsink is critical because it lets you do the same move twice in a row, meaning you can bounce through the center of a fight and out the other side. at which point the firestarter is kinda in the poo poo, but when enemy mechs turn to shoot at it they'll leave openings for the rest of your team.

I ran almost this build (no heatsink, 6 JJ) previously and it worked, with the caveat that it's a glass cannon and I wasn't playing on CT loss difficulty. I think with the new bulwark, rear shots are gonna be worth a lot more.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you want a feee roam mech simulator start up a career game. The planet difficulties never get skewed by the plot so you have half through five skulls available all game.

Honesty playing the campaign after it finishes is just kind of a shittier version of career mode.

any way we can get the variable planet difficulty setting applied to campaign mode? I do like having excuses to break out the mediums and lights

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'm running 2 firestarters one with 2 ml, 6mg, 6jj, the rest of the weight in armor. The other is the same but swaps 2 mg for sl.

I had a 2 skull that had a shadowhawk, a locust, a spider, and an orion k. The firestarters jumped in behind everything and murdered them before the gender and vindicator could get in range.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

any way we can get the variable planet difficulty setting applied to campaign mode? I do like having excuses to break out the mediums and lights

There is an old mod that disables the difficulty increasing "Milestones". Not sure if it still works in 1.3 but it can be done. I'm going to install it myself; I'm tired of every fight requiring I bring at least 1 assault and 2 heavies.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Eldragon posted:

Ah, since I'm post campaign, there are no mediums to fight. I'd buy one; but the stores are random.

Slight oversight on HBS's part: If you are continuing your game you don't actually get to see the new mechs they added.

The first fp i had with my post campaign save had you controlling a hatchetman and then part 2 had one in the opfor

Edit: and the fps given by baron steiglitz or whatever his name is have had a total of 7 hatchetman so far. I think the rng just hates you.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 3, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Was there some significant tweak to assassination missions? I'm noticing that now I always seem to have the defenders and the reinforcements engage simultaneously, leading to much harder fights.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I don't believe so but on smaller maps they almost always drop immediately

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The stock hatchetman loadout is such a joke. The Joint Venture FP reappeared and once again the free hatchetman gets wrecked in the opening round of combat. Shadowhawk walks up and punches it, wiping out all armor from the center torso with one easy blow and if it had any support weapons I guarantee it would have detonated the ammo bins too for a one hit kill like my first attempt. Why in the world would a dedicated melee mech have almost no armor? Why does it have not one, but two ammo bins in its center? Of course, the humor is further enhanced by employer being very smug about "ha ha watch our new mech cut through these peasants!"

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Classic Battletech mechs are not optimized.

People want to have the Marauder because it's a cool mech model and poo poo, but when we finally get it it'll be a trashmob enemy, because the stock Marauder is hilariously bad.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Gobblecoque posted:

The stock hatchetman loadout is such a joke. The Joint Venture FP reappeared and once again the free hatchetman gets wrecked in the opening round of combat. Shadowhawk walks up and punches it, wiping out all armor from the center torso with one easy blow and if it had any support weapons I guarantee it would have detonated the ammo bins too for a one hit kill like my first attempt. Why in the world would a dedicated melee mech have almost no armor? Why does it have not one, but two ammo bins in its center? Of course, the humor is further enhanced by employer being very smug about "ha ha watch our new mech cut through these peasants!"

I really didn't expect the Hatchetman to be epic, but the lack of support weapons was a massive, massive oversight.

I still want one in my collection, but for actual Melee work I'll be sticking to my 150 dmg per punch, 6xMG Grasshopper.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

People want to have the Marauder because it's a cool mech model and poo poo, but when we finally get it it'll be a trashmob enemy, because the stock Marauder is hilariously bad.

The Marauder stock loadout isn't great, but it's not terrible. It runs hot and since it had an AC 5 taking up a bunch of space for nothing that was considered a drawback, but AC 5's are actually usable in this game.

Once I get my hands on it, I'll be sticking an AC 20 on it and some medium lasers and going to town!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The only reason I'm using a Hatcheman in my career run is because I don't have any other mediums to bring, and that's after maxing out the armor. It's just not a very good mech.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Rip, if I had one more contract on a planet, I could've bought a full Banshee while I only have 4 mediums.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The only reason I'm using a Hatcheman in my career run is because I don't have any other mediums to bring, and that's after maxing out the armor. It's just not a very good mech.

All they need to do is add support slots and it would be fine imo

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

deathbagel posted:

The Marauder stock loadout isn't great, but it's not terrible.

...except its most woefully under-armoured location contains ammo and ammo only, in a tabletop game where ammo explosions transfer damage all the way to the Centre Torso meaning that a single crit destroys it entirely.

I've almost never seen one die to anything else. It's got the world's biggest 'kick me' sign attached to it.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

All they need to do is add support slots and it would be fine imo

Yea, with at least 4 or so support slots, you could throw a bunch of JJs on it and use it to flank then go in for a nice hatchet shot then run away again. It'd be like a slightly bigger Firestarter at that point that could actually punch something fairly hard.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The hatchetman will be useful for the marik alliance fp because youre limited to 50t in the first 2 missions. Being able to slap the assaults that show up for 175 and the vehicles for 350 is very useful

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
now I just need a mod for the hatchetman to play bits of the slap chop autotune song

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Psion posted:

now I just need a mod for the hatchetman to play bits of the slap chop autotune song

they'll be saying "ow" every time

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

DatonKallandor posted:

Nah, it'd be a pretty competent enemy. It's got the heatsinks to keep firing the AC5+PPC*2 forever (neutral on neutral maps), so that'd be an annoying sniper with a respectable 920 armor, and if it gets close then adding the MLas brings its damage up to a quite decent for stock 195 with 24 heat per round, and since it was neutral at long range that's 3 rounds close-range shooting before it takes any overheat.

As a player mech, though, it's literally a 1.5 tons heavier Cataphract, and do you ever hear people talk about the Cataphract?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So am I the only one watching the Argo spiral towards planets and ships because it's a pretty great and dumb bug I hope doesn't get fixed.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

So I don't know what you mean by spiraling towards planets but I have noticed new scenes that show the Argo coming in backwards and actually doing a realistic deceleration burn and poo poo. Is that what you're talking about? Because that's not a bug and is pretty cool.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I think whoever decided to put a PPC on Panthers is the greatest villain you never see in this game. lovely pilot accuracy is already a bitch in the Light Lance Zone, let alone when you get hit by one or more of the swarms of Panthers that seem to be endemic to my save file. God help you if an enemy tags you with sensor lock too.

I had one pilot in a wolverine with bulwark active start his turn with -10 to hit. Thankfully it doesn't seem to effect melee?

RBA Starblade posted:

So am I the only one watching the Argo spiral towards planets and ships because it's a pretty great and dumb bug I hope doesn't get fixed.

I haven't had a spiral but I've definitely had the Argo flip end over end towards a planet. It was amazing.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

Nah, it'd be a pretty competent enemy. It's got the heatsinks to keep firing the AC5+PPC*2 forever (neutral on neutral maps), so that'd be an annoying sniper with a respectable 920 armor, and if it gets close then adding the MLas brings its damage up to a quite decent for stock 195 with 24 heat per round, and since it was neutral at long range that's 3 rounds close-range shooting before it takes any overheat.

As a player mech, though, it's literally a 1.5 tons heavier Cataphract, and do you ever hear people talk about the Cataphract?

The Cataphract isn't a bad mech, it's just that it's outclassed by the Black Knight and the Orions due to that extra 1.5 tons they get. Also I don't think I've ever seen one in game, if I did I don't remember it, so getting them seems extremely rare.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 3, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Psycho Landlord posted:

So I don't know what you mean by spiraling towards planets but I have noticed new scenes that show the Argo coming in backwards and actually doing a realistic deceleration burn and poo poo. Is that what you're talking about? Because that's not a bug and is pretty cool.

No it spirals in vertically like someone just whipped it at the planet lmao

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

It probably doesn't help that I can count the number of times I've seen a Cataphract in campaign on one hand. By the time I put together a Cataphract I was dick-deep in assault mechs anyway so I never really got a chance to let it shine.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Conspiratiorist posted:

Nah, it'd be a pretty competent enemy. It's got the heatsinks to keep firing the AC5+PPC*2 forever (neutral on neutral maps),

Using video game rules:

2*ppc = 70 heat + 8 heat from the AC = 78

16 heatsinks = 48 heat dissipation for an overheat of 30.

It's a notoriously chronically undersinked design.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If I completed the original campaign, do people recommend carrying on with it, starting over or doing Career Mode?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

It would be fun to have an option to choose your own starting mechs. Give each mech a point value based upon weight and number of guns, and then give the player enough points to get a similar starting lance as to what you start with now.

I know there is a way to edit the config files so you start with whatever, but I would prefer to not need to mod that in.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jedit posted:

If I completed the original campaign, do people recommend carrying on with it, starting over or doing Career Mode?

Start over. It’s much better over all if you don’t want to have the story again.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Breetai posted:

Using video game rules:

2*ppc = 70 heat + 8 heat from the AC = 78

16 heatsinks = 48 heat dissipation for an overheat of 30.

It's a notoriously chronically undersinked design.

Oh nvm I had an aneurysm and substracted engine heatsink on top of 16.

Yeah no, it's crap.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I think the thing we can all agree on about the Marauder, is that it is ironic a goon named Breetai is hating so much on the Officer's Battle Pod.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

No it spirals in vertically like someone just whipped it at the planet lmao

Can record that? I've never seen it happen and this could be as great as the flappy Stalker from beta.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Amechwarrior posted:

Can record that? I've never seen it happen and this could be as great as the flappy Stalker from beta.

Next time I play I'll try, I forgot windows has native recording now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

deathbagel posted:

I think the thing we can all agree on about the Marauder, is that it is ironic a goon named Breetai is hating so much on the Officer's Battle Pod.

It's not ironic in the slightest, Breetai didn't need a pod to wreck poo poo.

Jesus gently caress I'm old.