Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I think anybody who closes a restaurant within 3 months of opening it probably didn't have a business plan

At least he's opening and closing quickly rather than bleeding money over a longer period of time.

GWM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Motronic posted:

Okay, then let's see this budget.

I quickly put her stated income and expenses in an Excel sheet, and if she's running a deficit, she definitely has a good £800-£1,000 in monthly candle spend.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

It said residential block, so I assume the whole area isn't new. But, yeah, it's likely a saturated market anyway (they always are), and this guy obviously did not have anything close to a plan. Aren't you supposed to be able to cover costs for like 6 months at least?

I've always heard role of thumb with a new restaurant is have enough capital to lose money for a year.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I was incredibly impressed with the approach a friend of mine took to opening a restaurant: he built word of mouth early on by doing pop-ups out of local bars, built a following (it helps that he has a specific niche), and then opened only after that. He was cash-flow positive month 1.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There's some sort of siren call from the restaurant business that ruins so many people. Whenever a new restaurant opens in town I try to predict how long it will last. Pizza places seem to be the quickest to go under. A couple moved here from out of state to open a Hungry Howie's. It lasted maybe a year. Why would anyone ever go to Hungry Howie's? Another pizza place opened down the street directly next to another pizza place. I think it'll close after the holidays. The original one tried opening another location and only lasted a few months. It was followed by two other failed pizza places in the same building(hey, it's already got an oven!).

I don't get it.

Residency Evil posted:

I was incredibly impressed with the approach a friend of mine took to opening a restaurant: he built word of mouth early on by doing pop-ups out of local bars, built a following (it helps that he has a specific niche), and then opened only after that. He was cash-flow positive month 1.

This is basically how Papa John's was founded.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

This is clearly a much smarter way of doing things and clearly if you are competent you can make it. But drat, restaurants is playing capitalism on hard mode.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Begall posted:

https://graziadaily.co.uk/life/real-life/borrowing-money-from-parents/

Earns anything from slightly above to over 33% more than the average UK wage, lives with parents on a reduced rent, lives pay check to pay check and needs bailing out to the tune of £100-£500 a month.
Well, there is one ray of light in there:

quote:

I don’t have a credit card because I’m too worried about ending up in debt and making a bad situation worse.

Although she's just replacing 'spend into debt' with 'get bailed out by parents', which is better with money but not good. It sounds like the combination of her work culture and her social group are killing her on spending out, because she talks about the pressure of 'after work drinks' and then commiserating with her friends over wine multiple times. I would bet you could account for at least 200-300 in bar bills.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

BattleMoose posted:

This is clearly a much smarter way of doing things and clearly if you are competent you can make it. But drat, restaurants is playing capitalism on hard mode.

I think some people remember my self-post about my wife wanting to "invest" in a vegan fast food restaurant. She's not mentioned it since then, which goes to show just how committed she was to the whole idea.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I love all of these bad restaurant stories because they are just weekly reminders that it is a terrible idea and that my day job is fine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what's the quote? opening a restaurant is the best way to pay your self sub minimum wage for 80 hours a week?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Devian666 posted:

If you want to see BWM I've been watching Consumed on Netflix. It's a cross between hoarders and family relationship problems. Often a family of hoarders.

Are you outside the US? Cuz I can't seem to find that show.

Edit: I should read the whole thread before I post :x

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Devian666 posted:

What I'd be interested in seeing is how the $2m per year income is spent each month. How do you even spend that much money?

If you want to see BWM I've been watching Consumed on Netflix. It's a cross between hoarders and family relationship problems. Often a family of hoarders.

Watching Hoarders is a fantastic way to just spontaneously make yourself start cleaning your house.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what's the quote? opening a restaurant is the best way to pay your self sub minimum wage for 80 hours a week?

"opening a restaurant is the best way to spend a million dollars to give yourself a minimum wage job"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bourdain devoted a whole chapter to it in Kitchen Confidential.

"Owner's Syndrome"

https://archive.org/stream/Anthony_Bourdain_Kitchen_Confidential/Anthony_Bourdain_Kitchen_Confidential_djvu.txt

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Pizza places might be decent risks compared to other restaurants. If it’s a carry-out/delivery place then your overhead is less and the menu is usually simpler.

It’s just real tough charging enough to make a profit. Unless your pizza is incredibly good you’re competing against $5 pizza deals and chains that operate massive economies of scale.

Still better odds of success than a bar.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Krispy Wafer posted:

Really? I've heard bars just absolutely poo poo money.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Krispy Wafer posted:

Pizza places might be decent risks compared to other restaurants. If it’s a carry-out/delivery place then your overhead is less and the menu is usually simpler.

It’s just real tough charging enough to make a profit. Unless your pizza is incredibly good you’re competing against $5 pizza deals and chains that operate massive economies of scale.

A pizza place in my town has an evidently successful gimmick of hiring a specialized water filtration firm to provide filtered water with mineral content identical to NYC water so they can make NYC pizza because according to them, it's the wudder.

Their pizza is good I'll give them that, but I wouldn't say it's special-wudder good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Once they're established, I think.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The margins are very, very good but the fixed costs are very, very high.

You need consistently good volume to break even.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

You know what's even worse with money than a restaurant? A food truck.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah but think about that food truck equity

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Was in Texas and an arcade we went to had a great idea, 5 bucks to get in and all the games were free. You paid at min 5 bucks per drink and that's all they served. They were pretty busy the entire time we were there and overhead was tiny since it was just three people and no food. Seems like one way to get a business going steadily.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Krispy Wafer posted:

A new pizza place replaced my local Little Caesars. The pizza is fantastic, I hope they make it :ohdear:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

TVsVeryOwn posted:

food trucks : restaurants :: auto lease : mortgage or rent

it is easier to make clearly bad decisions with the food trucks but mere structural forces means that the size of the restaurant thing will turbofuck you more than with a food truck

its like comparing the coming auto loan crisis with the housing crisis of 2008

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Was in Texas and an arcade we went to had a great idea, 5 bucks to get in and all the games were free. You paid at min 5 bucks per drink and that's all they served. They were pretty busy the entire time we were there and overhead was tiny since it was just three people and no food. Seems like one way to get a business going steadily.

The premier adult arcade wrote a pretty good piece about this.

https://groundkontrol.com/so-you-want-to-open-an-arcade/

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

CannonFodder posted:

"Spend less on horses." "No."

Is there some way to turn this:
https://i.imgur.com/fgakRrh.gifv
into a thread title?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

A pizza place in my town has an evidently successful gimmick of hiring a specialized water filtration firm to provide filtered water with mineral content identical to NYC water so they can make NYC pizza because according to them, it's the wudder.

Their pizza is good I'll give them that, but I wouldn't say it's special-wudder good.

It's a New Yorker thing. I've only heard this idea in reference to bagels though...

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

"You spend $500k to give yourself a minimum wage job."

FAUXTON posted:

Depending on how much markup that firm does, this isn't very expensive to do. There is a goon or two in the homebrew beer thread who built rigs to mimic water mineral content of various regions to mimic the local beer in recipes, and they didn't spend too much doing it.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The margins are very, very good but the fixed costs are very, very high.

You need consistently good volume to break even.

And the lower your overhead, the worse your volume/lower the prices you can charge, generally. Wasn't there a How I Met Your Mother about opening a bar?

BUG JUG posted:

It's a New Yorker thing. I've only heard this idea in reference to bagels though...

There are a TON of places that use the gimmick of "shipping water" or other ways of getting the water right to do NYC bagels. On cross country trips growing up we would always stop into such places and laugh at their attempt/pity the people who thought these were bagels.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Unless you're the godamn amazing Pizza Truck that rolls up to my office every other week. They show up, sell ~100 freaking awesome Pizzas for $10 each in about 2 hours and then peace out.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Yeah I thought like the halal carts were just making money literally hand over fist. Cash and carry business, and do 99% of your business between the hours of 11a-3p and peace out. Maybe it's because i'm in NYC but there's never a shortage of business for even the most mediocre food truck.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Hahaha, the pizza place I work at part time competes in the pizza championships in Vegas every year and he absolutely swears that he HAS TO bring local water to Vegas so he can make the dough with our local water.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

Watching Hoarders is a fantastic way to just spontaneously make yourself start cleaning your house.

It's difficult to make it half way through an episode without going to clean something.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Fhqwhgads posted:

Yeah I thought like the halal carts were just making money literally hand over fist. Cash and carry business, and do 99% of your business between the hours of 11a-3p and peace out. Maybe it's because i'm in NYC but there's never a shortage of business for even the most mediocre food truck.

It might be NYC, as restaurants tend to fare better there because so many people eat out instead of cooking.

The soup place that was the inspiration for Seinfeld's Soup Nazi episode was only open October to March because he made so much money those six months he could quit for the summer. And that's paying rent at midtown Manhattan prices.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nephzinho posted:

"You spend $500k to give yourself a minimum wage job."

Depending on how much markup that firm does, this isn't very expensive to do. There is a goon or two in the homebrew beer thread who built rigs to mimic water mineral content of various regions to mimic the local beer in recipes, and they didn't spend too much doing it.

And the lower your overhead, the worse your volume/lower the prices you can charge, generally. Wasn't there a How I Met Your Mother about opening a bar?

There are a TON of places that use the gimmick of "shipping water" or other ways of getting the water right to do NYC bagels. On cross country trips growing up we would always stop into such places and laugh at their attempt/pity the people who thought these were bagels.

Idk how much they pay for it but they made enough to expand into the neighboring space (the tattoo shop there had moved iirc) and haven't had to do the usual "running out of money" stuff like shrinking staff/the menu etc.

It costs $40 or so with tax and tip to have a pizza with garlic knots delivered, so that's the BWM part.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

The first Board Game Bar in my city opened up recently. I could have identified this as a decent opportunity in the market many years ago when they started popping up in other cities, but I wasn't about to try to navigate getting a godamn liquor license and opening an entire bar to try to take advantage of it.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I can’t imagine arcade/pinball machines being cheap though, especially for repairs. They’re good for drawing in customers though, I’ll give them that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Not to mention the regular clientele in places like bars sucks rear end, and getting them more drunk makes you more money but then they act like bigger assholes. My family manages a bar for a fraternal organization and the stories I have heard about respected members acting like fools makes me never want to go near owning a place that serves alcohol primarily.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

All the best BBQ spots here in Texas always start as some dude just smoking some meat for fun. Transitions to a pop up and eventually gets the following enough to open brick and mortar. Houston has a bbq scene that’s starting to really flourish and compete with Austin and the hill country. BBQ GWMGWL

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Baxate posted:

I can’t imagine arcade/pinball machines being cheap though, especially for repairs. They’re good for drawing in customers though, I’ll give them that.

Arcade machines aren't too bad, but pinball machines cost a small fortune. Pinball specialty bars tend not to encourage drunker patrons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Baxate posted:

You typically lease them periodically, that's what most places do and those places with a bunch of them basically have to. That's a chunk of money every month to that.