Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's Japanese YA fiction that did well enough to get multiple adaptations. Creepy-poo poo-free IIRC. Think Harry Potter: Space Marine.

The last act is extremely different from the movie. I thought it owned, but I am down with melodrama.

Eta: Though if you're far gone enough to read Japanese military sci fi you might as well start with Legend of the Galactic Heroes books from the 70s, they're getting translated now. Volume 8 is out in a few weeks.

No Ms. Blount doin war-yoga tho sorry

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Think Harry Potter: Space Marine.

It is the 2nd millenium. For most of a hundred years, Dumbledore has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Hogwarts. He is a rotting corpse writhing invisibly with magic from the Second World War. He is the Headmaster of Hogwarts for whom a dozen house elfs are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

To be a student in such times is to be one among untold hundreds. It is to live in the cruellest and most whimsical regime imaginable. There is no peace in the British countryside, only the maniacal laughter of Death Eaters.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:golfclap:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

CainFortea posted:

I thought it was 50 noble heroic Tom Cruise deaths.

Basically the premise is that Tom Cruise has to beat a first person shooter on the hardest difficulty (iron man mode, no saving and no checkpoints) despite never having played a video game in his life. It's great.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
The only Japanese mil scifi I am ultimately interested in explained the need for a wwii battleship to be converted for use in space battles.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Roundboy posted:

The only Japanese mil scifi I am ultimately interested in explained the need for a wwii battleship to be converted for use in space battles.

I wanted to google that because I wanted to see what crazy logic was involved in the idea. But turns out the space ship was built secretly INSIDE the battleship to hide it's construction from space aliens.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Roundboy posted:

A friend of mine put the live action remake of that on while we were scotch-drunk at his house one night. It was fuckawful.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
live action remakes tend to be either bad or incredibly bad

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The live action had its moments, mostly in the parts that were openly love letters to nuBSG. The anime remakes, Yamato 2199 and 2202 are really solid "lots of spaceships explode" series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSrYskeie-s

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Is that the one that’s a bunch of Imperial Japan apologia

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
live action yamato was better than most Tom cruise movies, if only because of the superiority of Japanese filmmaking. they fold the film over 1000 times to create the sharpest of images.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Did you know? It was renamed back to Live Die Repeat for video/streaming release.

Also the book it's adapted from is named All You Need Is Kill.

I'm very popular at parties.

GROUNDHOG DIE

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Internet Wizard posted:

Is that the one that’s a bunch of Imperial Japan apologia

That’s like every anime because Japan was never truly forced to come to terms with its actions during WWII.

I've been reading Donald L. Miller's "The Story of World War II" and jesus the Imperial Japanese were some truly sick fucks. I won't ever hold it against anyone from that time who despises the Japanese.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
FDR had a letter opener made out of a Japanese soldier's arm bone gifted to him by a serving member of Congress

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
not sure the usa was much better, I mean we just burnt them all alive with firebombing and eventually a couple of nukes but we're the good guys I guess

and we glorify that poo poo as much as anybody else if not more so

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mods changed my name posted:

not sure the usa was much better, I mean we just burnt them all alive with firebombing and eventually a couple of nukes but we're the good guys I guess

winning is awesome like that, you get to paint yourself and your opponents however you like

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

and we glorify that poo poo as much as anybody else if not more so

Maybe slightly better? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731#Vivisection

:shrug:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_syphilis_experiment

:shrug:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

At least it's not live vivisection :saddowns:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I'm not even beginning to defend Unit 731 though dont get me wrong, but I just don't get the argument that japan needs to atone for that poo poo or whatever

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
:qq: we were too mean to the bloodthirsty genocidal militaristic nations literally trying to conquer the world :qq:

Start poo poo get hit.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Nuking them twice was awful no doubt, but the only other option they could think of was a prolonged bombing campaign of the entire nation and a meatgrinder of a forced occupation.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Internet Wizard posted:

Nuking them twice was awful no doubt, but the only other option they could think of was a prolonged bombing campaign of the entire nation and a meatgrinder of a forced occupation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall#/media/File:Operation_Downfall_-_Map.jpg

I mean the plan called for 29? *divisions*. That's loving insane.

Say what you want about the morality of nuking two cities, but I can't even imagine what a bloodbath a land invasion would've been in comparison.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah I'm not even beginning to defend Unit 731 though dont get me wrong, but I just don't get the argument that japan needs to atone for that poo poo or whatever

Japan didn't have it's period of self reflection and rehabilitation the way Germany did (not saying that Germany did it perfectly, they didn't but that's a whole other series of posts in itself, read the history threads on here, they're excellent), and the atrocities carried out by imperial Japan in Asia, particularly China and Korea are awful.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nanjing, comfort women, refusal to even acknowledge or apologize for anything, still worshipping dead war criminals... and that's just the extremes. Unit 731 was such a tiny part of the poo poo they did, and no one even went to jail for that poo poo. Imagine if Angela Merkel still laid wreaths at Hitler's grave lmao.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanjing_Massacre

Japan was worse. A lot worse.
There was a reason that the Filipinos welcomed the US back with open arms despite some bad poo poo a few decades earlier. Japan was just that much worse.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
oh yeah I forgot that they refuse to even acknowledge anything thats my bad. I just don't like the squeaky clean USA images that people have.

Really my posts were less about defending japan and more about :d2a:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

my kinda ape posted:

:qq: we were too mean to the bloodthirsty genocidal militaristic nations literally trying to conquer the world :qq:

Start poo poo get hit.

Good.thing we completed our genocide ~70 years earlier and had already subjugated the western hemisphere.

Arguing about who the good guy in war was is stupid and pointless.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Good.thing we completed our genocide ~70 years earlier and had already subjugated the western hemisphere.

Arguing about who the good guy in war was is stupid and pointless.

Doing a whataboutism to defend nazi Germany

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nukes were letting them off easy vs. already demonstrated capabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RceLAhPOS9Q

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 4, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

Nukes were letting them off easy vs. already demonstrated capabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RceLAhPOS9Q

Pro documentary pick. Now that's a man (Bob McNamara) with a clearly tortured soul.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Pro documentary pick. Now that's a man (Bob McNamara) with a clearly tortured soul.
Then watch The Unknown Known to see a man who thinks he's never made a mistake.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

DoktorLoken posted:

Good. gently caress him.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

Then watch The Unknown Known to see a man who thinks he's never made a mistake.

This poo poo right here.

The contrast is amazing.

Carth Dookie posted:

Good. gently caress him.

Not as much as Rumsfeld.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

MRC48B posted:

This poo poo right here.

The contrast is amazing.

Not as much as Rumsfeld.

Yeah him too. Arguably twice as much because he didn't learn from McNamara's mistakes

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If you really want to pray for the cleansing passage of SS-18 Satan check out Thet Sambath's Enemies of the People, a series of deep cover interviews with progressively higher ranking Khmer Rouge.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Stultus Maximus posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanjing_Massacre

Japan was worse. A lot worse.
There was a reason that the Filipinos welcomed the US back with open arms despite some bad poo poo a few decades earlier. Japan was just that much worse.

Also when descendants and survivors and of the poo poo Japan did bring it up the Japanese response is "what the hell are you talking about?" Because they don't teach their students about it. A couple years ago they went all Texas and tried whitewashing their highschool textbooks to downplay the severity of their atrocities. Apparently they're still trying to get South Korea to remove the "comfort women" (sex slave) memorials.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

As Nero Danced posted:

Also when descendants and survivors and of the poo poo Japan did bring it up the Japanese response is "what the hell are you talking about?" Because they don't teach their students about it. A couple years ago they went all Texas and tried whitewashing their highschool textbooks to downplay the severity of their atrocities. Apparently they're still trying to get South Korea to remove the "comfort women" (sex slave) memorials.

Yeah, I read "The Rape of Nanking" when I was in high school, and when I got into a heated discussion about it with my then-stepmom, a Japanese woman, she angrily and tearfully denied that any of it had happened.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
loving SGM Bobby York wanted a volleyball court in the middle of a small rear end base and despite being built on sand had some bougie rear end sand shipped in. You ever see a straight up green beret rake fancy sand on a volleyball court because no matter who actually used the court it always has to have a fancy raked appearance afterwords. The best part was how despite it being the only thing they did of note that week they absolutely made it a point to not mention any of the many man hours that went into filling the sand bags or putting up the netting or that it existed at all because they didn’t want their home station to think they were out there slacking off. Really if you spent time with the Niger ODA that whole ambush massacre makes a lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Japan is an awful country and their warhawks have been absolutely spoiling for a fight the past 10 years. I want them to get in a shooting war with someone and get their dicks stomped on so loving hard. I want to watch liveleak videos of helos with anime girls painted out the side getting blown up

also their food is bland compared to korean/thai/vietnamese etc