Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Banagher is so loving empty. He doesn't exist as anything other than a plot device.

"So you want to become a vessel?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Off the topic of my distaste for Seed, but when can we expect to see the first episode of Narrative on Gundaminfo? The 20-minute teaser is great and all, but I wanna be in on the spoilers drat it! :mad:

Well it's a movie, so don't hold your breath.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Frontal sucks too, for the same reason. Also because he's planning on doing the same thing as Imperial Japan and Napoleon before them, despite history proving that provoking industrial powerhouses via economic strangulation is a terrible idea.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RillAkBea posted:

Well it's a movie, so don't hold your breath.

They've put other movies on the channel. It'll take a while, but will probably happen.

e: Wait, did they remove those? I could sworn at least The Origin and Thunderbolt were there.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 3, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Frontal sucks too, for the same reason. Also because he's planning on doing the same thing as Imperial Japan and Napoleon before them, despite history proving that provoking industrial powerhouses via economic strangulation is a terrible idea.

TBF, the Federation is generally implied to be much less of an industrial powerhouse after the One Year War, the Titans, terraforming expenses, and massive corruption flatlined their economy. Later UC shows demonstrated that they've pretty much collapsed.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I've been putting off rewatching SEED but now I need to since I can't remember much aside from how put off by Kira I was and generally liking Lacus.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

TBF, the Federation is generally implied to be much less of an industrial powerhouse after the One Year War, the Titans, terraforming expenses, and massive corruption flatlined their economy. Later UC shows demonstrated that they've pretty much collapsed.

And yet, Unicorn is set in the postwar time when the power disparity between the Federation and the Zeon movements is probably at its greatest. From what's indicated in Unicorn, there's really no way that the Sleeves could stand up militarily to a fully mobilized Federation, and most of their forces got wiped out facing down the Nahel Argama and the Garancieres and their suit complements. Frontal was fighting a losing battle from the start, hence his desire to capture the box and resort to blackmail. Starting up their Side Co-Prosperity plan would have gone as well as Mineva predicted: the Sleeves don't have the manpower to enforce the policy, and the Federation would just launch a fleet to crush them and dismantle the project ensuring continued oppression of the colonies.

There really wasn't a way that Frontal could have won, given the hand he was dealt.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

As much as Kira gets memed on really hard for the dying dolphin sobbing, most of the times when Kira cried were pretty sensible places for a teenager forced into his position to cry. Early SEED Kira's life was a nightmare that wouldn't stop. You could make a strong argument that he had it worse off than OYW Amuro did.

Honestly, I'd say that arguing against that suggestion would be more difficult.

Amuro's life at the time was a real shitpile, and no mistake. Even after having his home destroyed by Zeon and being forced to fight for his life, his first crush died horribly, one of his few friends died horribly, people he respected dropped like flies, he had to see his father reduced to dementia, his mother wanted nothing to do with him, and there was the whole Lalah thing to boot.

But at the same time, the White Base crew meant Amuro was, for the first time in his life, surrounded by people who cared about him and actually showed it. His developing Newtype abilities connected him to others in a way that was impossible before, and he knew at the end he'd really done some good.

Kira, meanwhile, was happy when the war hit him. Unlike Amuro, who was basically a friendless shut-in who only remembered to eat because the nicest girl in his class brought food over, Kira had something to lose. Which he did. Over and over. He had a friend wanting to kill him, the first girl he slept with was plotting his death before she got killed saving him, another of his best friends died in front of him as revenge for his actions, and unlike Amuro's case where the Federation was, however flawed and however much he got pissed at them, the good guys in the war, Kira found his side and the other side were both horrible. (Which is part of why Amuro never picked up the habit of not killing his enemies.)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

OTOH Kira is literally immortal and will never die. Even Amuro eventually met his end.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raxivace posted:

OTOH Kira is literally immortal and will never die. Even Amuro eventually met his end.

Then again, your 'end' is a pretty flexible concept in Tomino's works.

(insert gif of Quattro checking out Emma's rear end here).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I've been putting off rewatching SEED but now I need to since I can't remember much aside from how put off by Kira I was and generally liking Lacus.
SEED is fine, It's Destiny that really shat all over the reputation (and deservedly so).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

It was OYW Amuro we were discussing, not overall. By Destiny, Kira's showing how he got that nickname.

And the really sad thing about Amuro's fate is that if he and Chan had lived, there's very little reason to think he couldn't have gone on to have a decent enough life. He had his scars (Chan talks about how there's moments when Amuro's strangely distant), but for the most part, he's a good man who managed to put enough of his demons to rest to keep going. Unlike Char, he'd merely been battered, not broken.

Unfortunately, it did mean he couldn't knock some sense into Quess (to be fair, who could?), which meant she prevented him from just shooting Char, which meant that his life and the lives of many other people ended prematurely. In conclusion, Quess is terrible and makes everyone around her worse and/or dead.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

chiasaur11 posted:

It was OYW Amuro we were discussing, not overall. By Destiny, Kira's showing how he got that nickname.

And the really sad thing about Amuro's fate is that if he and Chan had lived, there's very little reason to think he couldn't have gone on to have a decent enough life. He had his scars (Chan talks about how there's moments when Amuro's strangely distant), but for the most part, he's a good man who managed to put enough of his demons to rest to keep going. Unlike Char, he'd merely been battered, not broken.

Unfortunately, it did mean he couldn't knock some sense into Quess (to be fair, who could?), which meant she prevented him from just shooting Char, which meant that his life and the lives of many other people ended prematurely. In conclusion, Quess is terrible and makes everyone around her worse and/or dead.

And then she goes on to haunt Hathaway as a ghost until he does some terrorism and gets executed by his father :v:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zore posted:

And then she goes on to haunt Hathaway as a ghost until he does some terrorism and gets executed by his father :v:
You're right, Quess might not be so bad after all.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Raxivace posted:

You're right, Quess might not be so bad after all.

How dare you say that about Bright.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arcsquad12 posted:

And yet, Unicorn is set in the postwar time when the power disparity between the Federation and the Zeon movements is probably at its greatest. From what's indicated in Unicorn, there's really no way that the Sleeves could stand up militarily to a fully mobilized Federation, and most of their forces got wiped out facing down the Nahel Argama and the Garancieres and their suit complements. Frontal was fighting a losing battle from the start, hence his desire to capture the box and resort to blackmail. Starting up their Side Co-Prosperity plan would have gone as well as Mineva predicted: the Sleeves don't have the manpower to enforce the policy, and the Federation would just launch a fleet to crush them and dismantle the project ensuring continued oppression of the colonies.

There really wasn't a way that Frontal could have won, given the hand he was dealt.

The Federation being able to crunch the Sleeves into paste doesn't really necessarily mean the Federation isn't in a lovely state and getting worse. The Sleeves aren't an army, they're a tiny little collection of dissidents with a small collection of remaining civilian sympathizers. The tiny fleet of a couple ships that we see in Unicorn is their main fleet strength.

Even a collapsing Federation that is economically hosed and teetering under its own weight on the verge of collapse would have very little issue swatting that pitiful level of resistance

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Destiny is a badly written show but I think people forget how often it *did* yell at Kira. Like Kira is called out on his actions repeatedly and sometimes without an ability to respond. Even when Athrun rejoins him Kira basically goes "yeah, I know I hosed up and I know I'm doing isn't the right solution but I really really don't know what else to do." That is the entire reason the ending of Destiny is Kira going into Messiah with the stated intention of shooting Durandal.

It doesn't stick the landing but the show isn't a constant lauding of Kira's perfection either. Honestly I would say the biggest issue is that it doesn't really give Shinn victories and that isn't necessarily a bad idea for a show (the person who we follow is the guy who ends up *against* the protagonist squad) but Destiny wasn't the show to do it.

It also was hurt a lot by the hesitance to have Kira's actions have more serious consequences (and the retroactive removal of Kira's flaws in both SEED and Destiny HD sucks because Kira as a well-meaning fuckup is a lot more interesting than Kira as a guy the universe shits on through no fault of his own.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 4, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kanos posted:

The Federation being able to crunch the Sleeves into paste doesn't really necessarily mean the Federation isn't in a lovely state and getting worse. The Sleeves aren't an army, they're a tiny little collection of dissidents with a small collection of remaining civilian sympathizers. The tiny fleet of a couple ships that we see in Unicorn is their main fleet strength.

Even a collapsing Federation that is economically hosed and teetering under its own weight on the verge of collapse would have very little issue swatting that pitiful level of resistance

That's what I'm saying. Even an economically starved Federation has enough military power to flatten the Sleeves, which is why the Side Co-Prosperity sphere would have been impossible to implement and defend against a mobilized Federation. Yes, Frontal and his boy toy managed to tag team the General Revil's suit complement, but that was one ship, not the fleet.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Destiny is a badly written show but I think people forget how often it *did* yell at Kira. Like Kira is called out on his actions repeatedly and sometimes without an ability to respond. Even when Athrun rejoins him Kira basically goes "yeah, I know I hosed up and I know I'm doing isn't the right solution but I really really don't know what else to do." That is the entire reason the ending of Destiny is Kira going into Messiah with the stated intention of shooting Durandal.

It doesn't stick the landing but the show isn't a constant lauding of Kira's perfection either. Honestly I would say the biggest issue is that it doesn't really give Shinn victories and that isn't necessarily a bad idea for a show (the person who we follow is the guy who ends up *against* the protagonist squad) but Destiny wasn't the show to do it.

It also was hurt a lot by the hesitance to have Kira's actions have more serious consequences (and the retroactive removal of Kira's flaws in both SEED and Destiny HD sucks because Kira as a well-meaning fuckup is a lot more interesting than Kira as a guy the universe shits on through no fault of his own.)

The problem is the show calling him on it but those calls never sticking or bearing out with actual consequences means that the show's not really calling him on it. Lots of people yell at Kira for being a weirdo who is making things worse, but his response basically boils down to a universal "nuh-uh" and he's never shown to actually question his convictions or ask if what he's doing is really right, and ultimately the writing allows him to power through all opposition, either convert or destroy all naysayers, and effectively conquer the entire world almost singlehandedly in the end.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Eh, Destiny might as well be holding Kira's view as the "right" viewpoint when considering how the laws of the universe bend over backwards to allow Kira to come out on top in 99% of his situations.

For instance, when ZAFT is knocking on Orb's door looking for Dijbril (and yeah, Durandal probably would want to get Orb out of the way, but the only reason he started and stopped that battle was to take out the person who was behind the entire war), Kira isn't like "maybe we should help to actually find this massive war criminal taking shelter in our country" but is instead like "imma fire lasers everywhere with my new gundam."

And it doesn't help that not only did the Archangel's interference allow Dijbril to escape, but immediately later Lacus is like "but guys whatabout Durandal, he's using a fake me and can't be trusted either!"

MechaX fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 4, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Schubalts posted:

They've put other movies on the channel. It'll take a while, but will probably happen.

e: Wait, did they remove those? I could sworn at least The Origin and Thunderbolt were there.

Thunderbolt was, it got taken down recently or is about to be taken down

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Remember how the Archangel crew spends the majority of the show trying to get Orb out of the war?

The reason Orb entered the war in the first place is because Yuna's faction was allowed to take sole control of the government. The reason Yuna's faction was able to take sole control of the government was because Cagalli - his primary political opponent and main face of the anti-war movement - vanished entirely from the country during a period of serious external pressure due to being kidnapped/rescued from their arranged marriage by Kira.

Kira and friends spend the entire show trying to fix a problem that they helped create, and it's never called out by the show.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Why do mobile suits all have giant dongs?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Captain Cappy posted:

Why not

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

I already told you, you don't come into my thread and ignore Barzam!!!

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Droyer posted:

I already told you, you don't come into my thread and ignore Barzam!!!

I'm getting mixed signals from the google image search I did for it: is it a prolapsed vagina or an even bigger dong than normal?

Edit: sorry, i was looking at the REFINED barzam

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
That's why they call it a cockpit!

No, wait, that's just Turn A and Brain Powerd.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Caphi posted:

That's why they call it a cockpit!

No, wait, that's just Turn A and Brain Powerd.

SMH at forgetting ZOE

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

SMH at forgetting ZOE

I don't know much about back then.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

chiasaur11 posted:

I don't know much about back then.

Can I just ask you one question?

Is it correct, this year's winner was Hesperia Gales?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Dingo Egret is a perfectly viable Gundam name.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Really? Because Lacus is every single bit as bad a character as Kira.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

Really? Because Lacus is every single bit as bad a character as Kira.

Much like Kira, Lacus starts SEED off a lot more interesting than she ends it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Captain Cappy posted:

I'm getting mixed signals from the google image search I did for it: is it a prolapsed vagina or an even bigger dong than normal?

Edit: sorry, i was looking at the REFINED barzam

I like both versions but the design history of the Barzham series is so weird. The original was claimed, I believe, to be based on the Mk II but de-Gundamed for propaganda reasons, and for whatever reason had these weird proportions and distinct frame. Then the reBarzam was a Mk II with Barzham chest head and groin.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MechaX posted:

Eh, Destiny might as well be holding Kira's view as the "right" viewpoint when considering how the laws of the universe bend over backwards to allow Kira to come out on top in 99% of his situations.

For instance, when ZAFT is knocking on Orb's door looking for Dijbril (and yeah, Durandal probably would want to get Orb out of the way, but the only reason he started and stopped that battle was to take out the person who was behind the entire war), Kira isn't like "maybe we should help to actually find this massive war criminal taking shelter in our country" but is instead like "imma fire lasers everywhere with my new gundam."

And it doesn't help that not only did the Archangel's interference allow Dijbril to escape, but immediately later Lacus is like "but guys whatabout Durandal, he's using a fake me and can't be trusted either!"

To be fair, the Lacus double is mostly an issue because it confirms without a doubt that Durandal sent a hit squad to murder her, Kira and a bunch of orphans in their home while they were having nothing to do with the war.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Uh, since I can't read Japanese, does anyone know why Gundam Wing is suddenly trending on Twitter?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Uh, since I can't read Japanese, does anyone know why Gundam Wing is suddenly trending on Twitter?

It was being broadcast on a local station in the Kanto area but they showed the preview for NT instead this week apparently.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Caros posted:

To be fair, the Lacus double

Fakus Clyne.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Caros posted:

To be fair, the Lacus double is mostly an issue because it confirms without a doubt that Durandal sent a hit squad to murder her, Kira and a bunch of orphans in their home while they were having nothing to do with the war.

Also to be fair, the show would have been better had the hit succeeded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Lacus ordered the hit on herself so she had an excuse to go to war with Durandal and become god empress of space.