Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Guilliman posted:

I don't remember when I did it, but the mod now has an option menu to let users decide how many modifiers should spawn, and since my last update you can also turn features off. There's a 'low modifiers' setting that spawns far less of them. If the low setting still spawned too many let me know and I might include an "extra rare" setting for planet modifiers in a future update.

Alternatively: More modifiers, more fun!

It's a fantastic mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I'm firmly in the camp of "give me modifiers or give me death!". Pre-2.2, GPM was the only thing which made worlds distinct and worth thinking about beyond just picking the biggest world you could reasonably colonize. Which is booooo-ring.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Gonna take a couple of weeks to get my mod up to 2.2, just saying ;) promise it'll be worth it though!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Guilliman posted:

Gonna take a couple of weeks to get my mod up to 2.2, just saying ;) promise it'll be worth it though!

I have no doubts. The worst part of a major new patch like this is waiting for all the mods I love to be updated. The best part is when they get updated and I get to play with a bunch of new toys all over again!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Demiurge4 posted:

Looking over some release features again in anticipation, why is it that mega projects still cost flat minerals? Ecumenopolis is 20k minerals and 10 years, why isn't that just 166 minerals per month for 10 years?

Saw a suggestion that megastructure construction sites should be population-bearing, with “builder” jobs that produce megastructure construction progress. Would make them feel huge, at least.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That'd be amazing, tbh. The first construction gets space construction yard district with several construction jobs and you need to apply a colony ship to start the construction in earnest, and it eats a ton of consumer goods and alloys for the jobs there, but you can easily pause them by making people there unemployed temporarily.

Also, automatically moves to the next stage without having to click each time, and as stages progress jobs get converted into its final purpose (i.e. scientists for nexus, just plain ol' pops for ringworlds, etc)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ciaphas posted:

straight rip off the war3 upkeep system for indicating it, green/yellow/red

yeah they should do like green until you're under cap, yellow when it's a minor penalty, and red when it's ugly and you're really screwing yourself over.

If they keep the mechanic the same and present it as green is a bonus and yellow is just ok that would really loosen people up about it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Truga posted:

probably same reason why colony ships no longer cost energy upkeep. having something with a high upkeep that you really can't/don't want to cancel to fix is annoying.

maybe if there was a pause button.
Have four settings. Stop work (slowly decays to the most recent milestone), maintenance (costs a little but stays as you left it), construction (per-month cost), accelerated construction (twice the cost for 1.5 times the speed).

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yeah they should do like green until you're under cap, yellow when it's a minor penalty, and red when it's ugly and you're really screwing yourself over.

no
stop

Eating a 0.3% penalty to tech cost, 0.5% to tradition cost, and I think 0.1% penalty leader upkeep and campaign cost per empire size is not going to screw you over unless you have a huge admin cap. Unless I'm screwing up the math, corps hit the point where increasing empire size by x% increases tradition cost by >x% at 134 admin cap which is reachable, but I think that still requires Imperial Prerogative or repeatables. Even then corps need 223 admin cap to reach that situation with tech, which I'm almost certain requires repeatable techs. Non-corps need 200 admin cap for tradition and 334 admin cap for tech. But even if you're a corp and really stacking +admin cap stuff, getting above 220, that doesn't mean going over it is really screwing yourself over. Non-research, non-unity are not worthless. A lot of early access people are apparently falling into the trap of being afraid to go over the cap, we should try not to fall into it too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Green - under cap
A pleasant light blue - over cap

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Saw a suggestion that megastructure construction sites should be population-bearing, with “builder” jobs that produce megastructure construction progress. Would make them feel huge, at least.

:hmmyes:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Staltran posted:

no
stop

Eating a 0.3% penalty to tech cost, 0.5% to tradition cost, and I think 0.1% penalty leader upkeep and campaign cost per empire size is not going to screw you over unless you have a huge admin cap. Unless I'm screwing up the math, corps hit the point where increasing empire size by x% increases tradition cost by >x% at 134 admin cap which is reachable, but I think that still requires Imperial Prerogative or repeatables. Even then corps need 223 admin cap to reach that situation with tech, which I'm almost certain requires repeatable techs. Non-corps need 200 admin cap for tradition and 334 admin cap for tech. But even if you're a corp and really stacking +admin cap stuff, getting above 220, that doesn't mean going over it is really screwing yourself over. Non-research, non-unity are not worthless. A lot of early access people are apparently falling into the trap of being afraid to go over the cap, we should try not to fall into it too.

look I just mean once it hits a substantial penalty. .3% would obviously be in the "normal" zone not the red line
fuckin 10% is not even that bad

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
That would be super misleading though! What I'm saying is that eating a 150% penalty to tech is fine, especially if your admin cap is low. If the number turned red when you hit 100% or another threshold like that, it would give you the impression that going over your admin cap by more than 333 was bad and you shouldn't be doing it. The UI shouldn't trick you into making bad decisions because of misleading color coding.

e: Basically if there was color coding like that, it should be dependent on what your admin cap was, not how much you're over it or how big a penalty you're getting for it (i.e. how much you're over the cap and are you a corp or not). So being at 501/500 (just for sake of example, I know 500 admin cap isn't realistic) would be red, 501/50 would be yellow, even though 501/500 only give a 0.3% tech penalty and 501/50 would give a 135.3% tech penalty.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 4, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Under cap - red
Over cap - blue

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Under cap - red
Over cap - also red

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Splicer posted:

Under cap - red
Over cap - blue

Empty quote

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

null_pointer posted:

Under cap - red
Over cap - also red

exactly at cap: rainbow

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Staltran posted:

That would be super misleading though! What I'm saying is that eating a 150% penalty to tech is fine, especially if your admin cap is low. If the number turned red when you hit 100% or another threshold like that, it would give you the impression that going over your admin cap by more than 333 was bad and you shouldn't be doing it. The UI shouldn't trick you into making bad decisions because of misleading color coding.

e: Basically if there was color coding like that, it should be dependent on what your admin cap was, not how much you're over it or how big a penalty you're getting for it (i.e. how much you're over the cap and are you a corp or not). So being at 501/500 (just for sake of example, I know 500 admin cap isn't realistic) would be red, 501/50 would be yellow, even though 501/500 only give a 0.3% tech penalty and 501/50 would give a 135.3% tech penalty.

Yeah we're on different numbers -- I meant in the sense that a 100% tech penalty would be you have literally zero beakers coming in. You're now fully penalized.

e: I mean do it like the new fallout does hunger: red is a serious limit on your actions, you have "normal" and then you have a "bonus" where you get "benefits" from being substantially away from the cap. The mechanical effects are the same it's just presented as a positive if you're in the super good zone.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 4, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I will go massively over cap and there's nothing any of you or your colors can do to stop me

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

An absolutely disgusting lack of planetary modifiers. Save us, Guilli.

I'm imagining it would be incredibly frustrating to get like +50% minerals modifier but then only have 4 slots for mining districts. Hope Guilli can code his mod to place modifiers on suitable planets, terrain-wise.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I will go massively over cap and there's nothing any of you or your colors can do to stop me

Is there a cap for the number of systems you have starbases in? :ohdear:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Rynoto posted:

It's a fantastic mod.

Yep, that's what I do with his mod. I love having every single planet be something weird and unique.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Yeah we're on different numbers -- I meant in the sense that a 100% tech penalty would be you have literally zero beakers coming in. You're now fully penalized.

e: I mean do it like the new fallout does hunger: red is a serious limit on your actions, you have "normal" and then you have a "bonus" where you get "benefits" from being substantially away from the cap. The mechanical effects are the same it's just presented as a positive if you're in the super good zone.

Ah. Well the penalty is a cost increase, not science production reduction, so no matter how much you go over the cap you'll never have a situation where you're never getting a tech researched. And assuming you don't have a really high admin cap, if you increase your science production about as much proportionally as you increase your empire size the penalty grows slower than your science production.

I don't think it'd be possible to change the system to give you a bonus when under the cap instead of a penalty when over without completely changing how it works.

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm imagining it would be incredibly frustrating to get like +50% minerals modifier but then only have 4 slots for mining districts. Hope Guilli can code his mod to place modifiers on suitable planets, terrain-wise.

I would assume he could just add some suitable deposits at the same time the modifier is added.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This guy gets it, do not be afraid of going over the cap.

Also, admin cap increases are best if you're exactly that much over the cap. E.g. the +20 in expansion traditions is best if you're 20 over the cap, and becomes worse the more you're over it. Having it in expansion might give you the impression it's for big empires, but it's actually for small ones. If you're 500 over the cap, the tradition would change your tech costs from 250% to 244%, a 2.4% decrease, and tradition costs from 350% to 340%, a 2.9% decrease. Which is about what you'd expect from a tradition. But if you're only 20 above, it's -5.7% to tech costs and -9.1% to traditions, which is closer to ascension perk level. So if you're already big, probably don't go out of your way for admin cap bonuses.

prefect posted:

Is there a cap for the number of systems you have starbases in? :ohdear:

Yes there's a hard cap, it's the number of systems in the galaxy

(also a soft cap where you get 25% increased maintenance for starbases if you have more upgraded starbases than the cap)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Staltran posted:

Yes there's a hard cap, it's the number of systems in the galaxy

(also a soft cap where you get 25% increased maintenance for starbases if you have more upgraded starbases than the cap)

Whew. I was just worried that getting too big in terms of territory was getting me in trouble. :tipshat:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

prefect posted:

Whew. I was just worried that getting too big in terms of territory was getting me in trouble. :tipshat:

From what I understand both outpost/starbase count and planets contribute to the administrative number, so you would eventually hit the admin limit with a single planet and a huge territory footprint.

Just be enormous with an enormous fleet and crush neighbors. Learn from their gutted ships to keep rough tech parity if you fall behind some.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Well, in Le Guin every system you have adds 2 empire size and if your empire size is bigger than your admin cap you get ((empire size)-(admin cap))*0.3% penalty to tech cost, ((empire size)-(admin cap))*0.5% to tradition cost,and also small leader upkeep/campaign cost penalties. If a system has low production (compared to the rest of your empire), it can be net negative, though Le Guin has techs that boost mining/research station output so that should help.

In 2.1, every system increases both tech and tradition costs by 1%. Later on bad systems can definitely be net negative.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Rynoto posted:

It's a fantastic mod.

This looks amazing. I'm still a Stellaris babe in the woods -- will using this mod screw me, or is it noob-friendly?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

null_pointer posted:

This looks amazing. I'm still a Stellaris babe in the woods -- will using this mod screw me, or is it noob-friendly?

It's very noob-friendly, as you put it. There are a couple of the modifiers which are tied to bad events, but they're pretty obvious about it (settling on a planet which is filled with giant arachnid blocker tiles, for example, and which gives you a big event popup window when you find it). Mostly the modifiers are passive things which provide texture to the galaxy. Some of them allow you to build special buildings or armies on that planet.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Staltran posted:

This guy gets it, do not be afraid of going over the cap.

Also, admin cap increases are best if you're exactly that much over the cap. E.g. the +20 in expansion traditions is best if you're 20 over the cap, and becomes worse the more you're over it. Having it in expansion might give you the impression it's for big empires, but it's actually for small ones. If you're 500 over the cap, the tradition would change your tech costs from 250% to 244%, a 2.4% decrease, and tradition costs from 350% to 340%, a 2.9% decrease. Which is about what you'd expect from a tradition. But if you're only 20 above, it's -5.7% to tech costs and -9.1% to traditions, which is closer to ascension perk level. So if you're already big, probably don't go out of your way for admin cap bonuses.

I'm at 304/120 currently :killdozer:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

In the tradition of a certain Paradox employee I will decline to name, "Admin cap is just a number".

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Staltran posted:

I know I'm in the minority here but most planets don't need modifiers. I tried Guilli's mod once back in 1.9 and didn't like it at all.

There's a truth there, but at the same time....how can I put it? The game's still infected by Master of Orion 2, as all such things are. And in that, planets are a means to an end, that being conquest(Of your opponents or the Antaran menace, your choice). They're trying to add EU4(Or possibly Anno/Srttlers,. depending on how you feel) to it, and we'll see how that goes in the end. Even then, there are some planet mods in general. Sometimes you even find Primitives and lost colonies.

But people want more to it than that, because Space Fantasy is always full of Weird and Wonderful Planets and haven't we come far beyond such an old game? (The answer is no. People have been trying to match and surpass it, and yet somehow never quite manage it. How can this be? Hard to say.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A single point over admin cap is a tragedy, a million points over admin cap is a statistic.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

I tried so hard, and got so far, and in the end, the admin cap doesn't even matter

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

null_pointer posted:

I tried so hard, and got so far, and in the end, the admin cap doesn't even matter

2.2 thread title

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

my self-righteous tileicide.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Truga posted:

That'd be amazing, tbh. The first construction gets space construction yard district with several construction jobs and you need to apply a colony ship to start the construction in earnest, and it eats a ton of consumer goods and alloys for the jobs there, but you can easily pause them by making people there unemployed temporarily.

Also, automatically moves to the next stage without having to click each time, and as stages progress jobs get converted into its final purpose (i.e. scientists for nexus, just plain ol' pops for ringworlds, etc)
It also means you don't have to send a drat colony ship out to the place. Just let the workblorgs settle in.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

null_pointer posted:

- LeGuin Park, 2018

Splicer posted:

Under cap - red
Over cap - blue
This was seriouspost BTW. Being under your cap is arguably bad, because you're not fully utilising your resources. Being at and being above your cap should be the same colour because how high you want to focus situational. Green being equal to or above your cap doesn't work though because going red -> green implies that continuing in that direction means even more green. Red and yellow doesn't work because we're pretty solidly conditioned for red -> yellow -> implied green if you can get to it. So red below cap, then blue (or white) at or above cap.

Yellow below with blue (or white) equal to or above would also work.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Went and checked out the official forums and although there's a ton of people examining and nitpicking and over-reacting to things to a ridiculous degree from all the youtubes out there it looks like a lot of the issues people have noticed are in fact getting fixed for release.

People are weirdly passive aggressive and a bit thick there though. Was reading one thread about robots, guy had a lot of legitimate concerns about robot production and robot worker assignment because someone's minebot got assigned to a farm instead of a mine. cue tons of people crying the sky is falling and the worker assignment AI is the new sector AI that will ruin all our planets. Darkrenown explains that worker job weights are incredibly easy to change/mod your self if you don't like how the AI handles them, and on looking at those weights he realized there was actually a slight bug that was giving robots too much farming weight.

Guy keeps complaining about how it's so lovely that we the player need to fix these things by hand and paradox should fix them and not just tell us to "find a mod"
Darkrenown again very clearly and politely explains that he did actually fix the problem, it's fixed, it was an easy fix and it's actually fixed now.
Guy keeps passive aggressively commenting that he hopes every other player finds the bug as easy to fix as it was for Darkrenown, as if all this time Darkrenown had only fixed the bug for his personal copy of the game??

I can imagine how years of dealing with interactions like this can make any dev a bit snappy and quick to assume anyone complaining about something is an idiot :(

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Here's hoping the day zero patch fixes all the major issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

Went and checked out the official forums and although there's a ton of people examining and nitpicking and over-reacting to things to a ridiculous degree from all the youtubes out there it looks like a lot of the issues people have noticed are in fact getting fixed for release.

People are weirdly passive aggressive and a bit thick there though. Was reading one thread about robots, guy had a lot of legitimate concerns about robot production and robot worker assignment because someone's minebot got assigned to a farm instead of a mine. cue tons of people crying the sky is falling and the worker assignment AI is the new sector AI that will ruin all our planets. Darkrenown explains that worker job weights are incredibly easy to change/mod your self if you don't like how the AI handles them, and on looking at those weights he realized there was actually a slight bug that was giving robots too much farming weight.

Guy keeps complaining about how it's so lovely that we the player need to fix these things by hand and paradox should fix them and not just tell us to "find a mod"
Darkrenown again very clearly and politely explains that he did actually fix the problem, it's fixed, it was an easy fix and it's actually fixed now.
Guy keeps passive aggressively commenting that he hopes every other player finds the bug as easy to fix as it was for Darkrenown, as if all this time Darkrenown had only fixed the bug for his personal copy of the game??

I can imagine how years of dealing with interactions like this can make any dev a bit snappy and quick to assume anyone complaining about something is an idiot :(
Maybe they didn't realise DarkRenown's a dev? Or thought that yes they had just fixed their own copy as like a demo of something?