Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Retro42 posted:

Maybe I’m just cynical about the state but I fully expect the GOP there to pass whatever they need to at 1am and have Walker sign it at 1:15. Dems will make the required amount of noise but ultimately nothing will change the outcome.

The only legal way for people to stop this is to appeal to the Republicans sense of decency.

I'll wait a few minutes for people to stop laughing.

But you're right. People can make noise and protest and demand action, but at the end of the day it's the republican lawmakers' choice whether or not to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I hold the door open for everyone. This is a very busy door. Send help

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hellblazer187 posted:

I hold doors open for everybody. Why only women?

there is an acceptable distance for everybody but once you exceed that distance it just becomes awkward for everybody

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Gorson posted:

Live hearing in Wisconsin right now. There are already chants in the background.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/03/live-video-wisconsin-committee-hearing-lame-duck-session/2195348002/

The republicans in this state have practically been begging for a riot with their policies. There is still some very bad blood from that recall. I hope we do riot if they push this through.

Man, this gives me nostalgia because it's like the same poo poo republicans had to deal with when they took over. Unions, teachers, democrats, they were all mobbed around the capital

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Men were asked to described.

Edit: also.. ”What's your idea of the first date?”

Not sure if they mean to ask:
What's your ideal first date?
What's your idea of a first date?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 4, 2018

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But watch out, they'll sue you if you sign up and you're a leftie! They also won't allow anyone to post a fake or photoshopped picture! These are totally realistic things they can absolutely moderate!

It'll turn into a "dating" site like Free Republic where they spend their time shooting eachother for not being MAGA enough till they compact down to the last two most crochety never-gonna-get-laid guys on it

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/extremelyright/status/1069334066527264768

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

haveblue posted:

I hold the door open for everyone. This is a very busy door. Send help

I was once in a standoff of sorts getting on the bus at the same time as an old guy on crutches, because he thought I should go first due to having a uterus, I thought he should go first due to being ancient and crippled. It was pretty awkward.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hold the door for everyone regardless of gender

pulling people's chairs out gets you a lot of weird looks though because it's so unusual these days and takes a fair bit of planning/staging

I hold the door open for people who are 10 feet away and force them to do the awkward jog so they don't look like assholes

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

He may be wrong, but he's @extremelyright

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Crow Jane posted:

I was once in a standoff of sorts getting on the bus at the same time as an old guy on crutches, because he thought I should go first due to having a uterus, I thought he should go first due to being ancient and crippled. It was pretty awkward.

Split the difference and neither of you get on the bus.

Compromise is making sure neither side gets what they want

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

moostaffa posted:

Over/under on how long it will take Laura Loomer to get banned from Righter?

here's her flirting technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M7KnbaC6-I

she "loves" aryan men.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I can't imagine how a platform full of only these people could fail

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Okay, I'm skipping like 20 pages to ask this about the Republican power grabs in MI and WI: I've heard people say that both sides do this, and while I can think of some taminy hall-style old Democrat bullshittery, are there any examples of that, say, since Carter?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I love "pursuing that." Not "women who look that good," not "them." That. That object.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

”All hot chicks are damaged goods because none of them like me”
-extremelyright

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SocketWrench posted:

It'll turn into a "dating" site like Free Republic where they spend their time shooting eachother for not being MAGA enough till they compact down to the last two most crochety never-gonna-get-laid guys on it

Hey, don't steal my prospective script for Brokeback Mountain 2

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Okay, I'm skipping like 20 pages to ask this about the Republican power grabs in MI and WI: I've heard people say that both sides do this, and while I can think of some taminy hall-style old Democrat bullshittery, are there any examples of that, say, since Carter?

Closest I can think of is when the MA legislature took away the Governor's power to appoint a Senate replacement in 2004. They thought Kerry might win and didn't want Romney appointing his replacement.

Came back to bite them when Deval Patrick couldn't replace Ted Kennedy and we got Scott Brown instead.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

SHARIA LAW SCHOOL posted:

here's her flirting technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M7KnbaC6-I

she "loves" aryan men.

So is there like some mating dance thing like nature? Guy gets out on sidewalk and goosesteps back and forth throwing heils till a female approaches. At that point he begins reciting the 14 words?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

The only legal way for people to stop this is to appeal to the Republicans sense of decency.

I'll wait a few minutes for people to stop laughing.

But you're right. People can make noise and protest and demand action, but at the end of the day it's the republican lawmakers' choice whether or not to do this.

One thing to understand about the state is that almost all of the Dems power base IS in the capital and in Milwaukee. So when the news shows the coverage of protests/whatever to the rest of the state, they mostly just shrug and turn the channel.

On a side note: My kids are currently getting a better public school education here in MD than the private school one we had to pay for in WI. The new Gov has his work cut out if they ever let him fix the mess Walker made.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Democrats Are Crafting a Post-Obama Foreign Policy
They want to end America’s role in Yemen, and rein in presidential war powers.

quote:

And the more the Obama administration sought to reassure the Saudis, the more money defense contractors made. Between 2009 and 2016, according to a report by the Center for International Policy, the Obama administration concluded 42 separate arms deals with Riyadh totaling more than $115 billion, a higher sum than during any previous administration.

The human costs of these arms sales soon became clear. In a 2015 report, Amnesty International observed that the United States and Britain were providing the Saudis cluster bombs, “which often lie unexploded and can cause horrific injuries long after the initial attack.” Noting that Saudi Arabia and its ally, the United Arab Emirates, had conducted airstrikes killing at least 513 civilians, including 157 children, Amnesty insisted that “There is no reasonable explanation by states such as the US and the UK that would justify their continued support and irresponsible arms flows to the Saudi Arabia-led coalition.”

But in Congress, powerful Democrats backed the Obama administration’s participation in the war. In summer of 2016, Michigan Representative John Conyers proposed an amendment banning the sale of cluster bombs to the Saudis. Most House Democrats voted for the ban but some of the most influential—Steny Hoyer, the House Minority Whip, Elliot Engel, the ranking Democrat on the Foreign Affairs Committee, and Brad Sherman, the ranking Democrat on the Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Terrorism, Nonproliferation and Trade—opposed it. The ban failed.

In September of that year, Democratic Senator Chris Murphy and Republican Senator Rand Paul forced a vote on a sale of tanks, many of them designed to replace Saudi ones damaged in the Yemen war. Twenty-three Democrats voted against the sale but 22—including Chuck Schumer, the Senate Minority leader, Ben Cardin, the ranking Democrat on the Foreign Relations Committee, and Jack Reed, the top Democrat on the Armed Services Committee—voted for it. The Murphy-Paul measure lost badly.

For her part, Hillary Clinton barely spoke about Yemen during the 2016 campaign. And her aides suggested that Obama—far from supporting Riyadh too much—was not supporting it enough. “We need to be raising the costs to Iran for its destabilizing behavior,” declared her top foreign policy advisor, Jake Sullivan, weeks before Election Day, “and we need to be raising the confidence of our Sunni partners.”

Once Obama left office, however, and the horror in Yemen grew worse, Democrats began to shift. One reason was partisanship: They were less inclined to give a Republican president the benefit of the doubt, especially one so brazenly uninterested in constraining Saudi abuses. In June of last year, all but five Senate Democrats voted against selling the Saudis $500 million worth of precision guided munitions. This March, Senator Bernie Sanders tried something more radical. Invoking the War Powers Act, he proposed ending all U.S. military operations in Yemen except those targeting Al Qaeda. All but ten Democrats voted to pull America out of the war.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/senate-moves-towards-ending-americas-role-yemen/577243/

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

SocketWrench posted:

So is there like some mating dance thing like nature? Guy gets out on sidewalk and goosesteps back and forth throwing heils till a female approaches. At that point he begins reciting the 14 words?

Nah they’re like birds of paradise they meticulously arrange a nest of antique long-rifles and AR15s, all while gazing bug eyed at the female and hopping around.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Groovelord Neato posted:

Woulda been nice if they did that about 2 decades ago

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hellblazer187 posted:

He was mathematically eliminated after NY but hung on. He continued to talk about a rigged democratic primary, which is false and has apparently infected you with brain worms because you're still saying he was "done dirty" or whatever.

Yes, it so happens that when you are in a fight against someone you develop personal ill will towards them. Adults are able to put personal ill will to the side to work together for a common goal. Would you like more lessons in basic human interaction, you dork?

Rigged may be a technically incorrect description but fairly accurate to describe someone who had the entire weight of the lovely centrist DNC trying to clear the way for "her turn" and Bernie was "mathematically" eliminated in part thanks to the lovely undemocratic superdelegate system (that's probably sticking around since no one actually pays attention to this poo poo outside of election time).

Congrats on not having completely terrible opinions about policy anymore though!

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Queering Wheel posted:

They haven't "failed" to cover it. They're not covering it on purpose because they're all center-right organizations.
MSNBC was covering it last night - both WI and MI.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But watch out, they'll sue you if you sign up and you're a leftie! They also won't allow anyone to post a fake or photoshopped picture! These are totally realistic things they can absolutely moderate!

I wonder if it's possible to have a reverse class action lawsuit - were a single plaintiff sues a class of people instead of the other way around.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Split the difference and neither of you get on the bus.

Compromise is making sure neither side gets what they want

I think I just ended up going first. It was cold.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Dammit Mueller drop the Flynn poo poo already I NEED MY FIX

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rep Nygren is threatening to clear the room. He's talking to people like they are children. The crowd is not amused.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I can't believe that coward Trudeau folded on the LGBTQ protections in the USMCA.

Well, I can, but still.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

chris murphy has done a really good job being the lead voice against the war in Yemen, something that's not sexy and for a while the democrats weren't really falling in line behind. like i remember a couple years ago seeing him on Chris Hayes' show talking about it, and now it's actually become a consensus

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that's interesting

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1069998516670529536

quote:

The House GOP campaign arm suffered a major hack during the 2018 election, exposing thousands of sensitive emails to an outside intruder, according to three senior party officials.

The email accounts of four senior aides at the National Republican Congressional Committee were surveilled for several months, the party officials said. The intrusion was detected in April by an NRCC vendor, who alerted the committee and its cybersecurity contractor. An internal investigation was initiated and the FBI was alerted to the attack, said the officials, who requested anonymity to discuss the incident.

However, senior House Republicans — including Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) — were not informed of the hack until POLITICO contacted the NRCC on Monday with questions about the episode. Rank-and-file House Republicans were not told, either.

Rep. Steve Stivers (R-Ohio), who served as NRCC chairman this past election cycle, did not respond to repeated requests for comment.

Committee officials said they decided to withhold the information because they were intent on conducting their own investigation, and feared that revealing the hack would compromise efforts to find the culprit.

"We don't want to get into details about what was taken because it's an ongoing investigation," said a senior party official. "Let's say they had access to four active accounts. I think you can draw from that."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Reminder that RNC was hacked in 2016, but those emails never got released from some reasons :thunk:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Release every goddamn one of them. Turnabout is fair play.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the wisconsin stuff is reminding me of the people's filibuster (where the people packed the texas legislature and made so much noise they couldn't hold a vote on an abortion bill after the republicans illegitimately ended wendy davis's filibuster). hopefully the final outcome is better in wisconsin - texas just passed the abortion bill later.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Reminder that RNC was hacked in 2016, but those emails never got released from some reasons :thunk:

apparently it was legitimately much less successful than the DNC hack - they got into some old domains that didn't include current emails and stuff.

not that I disagree with you, but it sounds like a much less useful set of data than what politico is reporting right now

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Is it really "unauthorized access" when you spend six months watching them do it

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
You hold the door open for people with some physical burden, from physical injuries like being on crutches to corralling small children to hauling bulky objects. While being a woman makes you a target for a lot of idiots out there that’s more a societal burden and not physical. At most you are getting the door propped open behind me for the handoff.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

The Glumslinger posted:

Just updating the Kompromat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Groovelord Neato posted:

the wisconsin stuff is reminding me of the people's filibuster (where the people packed the texas legislature and made so much noise they couldn't hold a vote on an abortion bill after the republicans illegitimately ended wendy davis's filibuster). hopefully the final outcome is better in wisconsin - texas just passed the abortion bill later.

The people have no actual voice in govt, they will delay it by a day or two at best and have a bunch of the protestors rack up fines after arrests