Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Oh hey, I also just noticed that if you missed this for some reason, there's an ~ultimate~ edition for $7.50 that starts with everything unlocked since everybody else is G50 or whatever. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Psion posted:

Titanfall 2 is also $5 on origin right now so it's a good time to make everyone you know play it

This

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
I just bought this great dead game and it's great, and also dead

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ppl talking trash about Tf2 in unpopular videogame opinions thread. k, ama need 5 fellow dedicated pilots to ride over there and gently caress THEM UP :blastu:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I played through the campaign again this weekend because my internet is done. It still owns and BT and cooper’s friendship is the greatest.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
So just jumping in to say that I bought the game months ago but only got around to giving multiplayer a try this past weekend. And when I say I'm new, this is probably the first modern shooter that I've played since, say, TF2. So my game play is pretty ugly and I'm getting regularly curb stomped, but I'm still enjoying it a lot!

Are there any weapons or upgrades that are worth purchasing with credits right off the bat? And what sort of titans or worth playing with? I've been sticking with the Legion titan and I do enjoy it's firepower, but it's speed tends to be the real drawback.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh hey, I also just noticed that if you missed this for some reason, there's an ~ultimate~ edition for $7.50 that starts with everything unlocked since everybody else is G50 or whatever. :shrug:

How bad/disadvantage is it to start from level 0 or so in the multiplayer?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

BexGu posted:

How bad/disadvantage is it to start from level 0 or so in the multiplayer?

The best guns in the game - the CAR, Alternator, Spitfire - are all very early unlocks, and you'll have all the titans early on too. Really the biggest disadvantage you'll have is players who've had triple-digit hours in their favorite titan deleting your titan as soon as you drop.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The multiplayer stuff unlocks so fast it's really dumb to spend extra on the digital deluxe edition or whatever, even if it's just two bucks more.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Phlairdon posted:

Are there any weapons or upgrades that are worth purchasing with credits right off the bat? And what sort of titans or worth playing with? I've been sticking with the Legion titan and I do enjoy it's firepower, but it's speed tends to be the real drawback.

As mentioned, Car, Alternator (single shot this rather than hold down the trigger) and Spitfire are solid. I had an unreal amount of fun with the EVA 8 shotgun when the game was still in it's infancy before it got nerfed quite a bit. It's still fun but it's not quite the same level as flaming buckshot death cannon that it used to be.

Personally I love Scorch but like Legion he's slowwwww and a lot more reliant on good positioning to murder everything. Legion's smart core = everything dies, it's a perfect pilot murderer, 2x power shot also cleaned up before a nerf.

Tone I think is one I used to begin with, he's pretty easy to use; hit 3x with the cannon and R1 for tracking missiles. He has a tracking ping thing (the titan kit where it pings 2x is verrrry useful) and a shield.

Ion I had great fun with too, that laser shot is massively accurate and it was so much fun sniping ejecting pilots out of the sky. Again they nerfed this a bit in terms of targeting reticule and amount of time between shots but he still plays really well particularly if you use grand cannon for your core ability. 2x length on your core? Yes please.

Northstar and Ronin I've never played much as to be honest but Northstar's 2x length cluster missile, threat scope and shots through other titans were very useful depending on situation. Ronin can tank virtually everything but unless you're holding down sword block he goes down quicker than any other titan. Thing is though his presence makes everyone panic because they know you have to get up in their face to do much to them. I'm yet to figure out how to use him properly.

Monarch is decent, has a million upgrade options letting you build it however you want really so it takes some getting used to. Before you get core upgrades you're fairly defenseless though so it takes some smart play to get the best out of it. Once you've hit that 3rd core though every other one is a free shield plus every execution you perform steals a battery meaning you can keep Monarch alive a lot longer than the other titans around (if you're decent that is).

There's so much to try out in this game, don't be afraid to eat losses while you're figuring out what you enjoy playing like. There's definitely an optimal way of doing things but optimal isn't always fun so just play.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The Northstar cluster missile is frankly gross for anti pilot work. Launch it into a doorway pilots may approach from and you have a good chance of getting multiple kills from it. On Titans it faces the Scorch problem of just walking away from the hurt, but pilots have a half-second if that.

The Robin block is incredibly good, like tanking most cores for only half your health good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

So what are the titan hard counters

Scorch > Ronin
Ronin > Tone
Northstar > Scorch
Ion > Legion
Monarch > Northstar
Legion > ???
Tone > ???

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

So what are the titan hard counters

Scorch > Ronin
Ronin > Tone
Northstar > Scorch
Ion > Legion
Monarch > Northstar
Legion > ???
Tone > ???

Nothing is a hard counter to a good Legion.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

Nothing is a hard counter to a good Legion.

Yeah, I kind of knew that when I posted. Same with Ion. They kind of soft counter each other because of the old shield blocks laser but vortex blocks minigun.

I just know that when I'm Tone and I see a Ronin I usually steer clear, and when I'm Ronin and I see Scorch I don't even bother.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
When i see anything and im scorch i light it on fire

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

When i see anything and im scorch i light it on fire

:hfive:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I played so many hundreds of hours as Scorch that I think I might've burnt out

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was just going through my old Youtube videos and found this. I probably posted it back when it happened but it still made me lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eXRiUs2BtA

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

UK PSN has this up for £3.99 which is a joke price. Ultimate edition £5.79.

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/grid/search-game/1?gameContentType=games%2Cbundles&query=titanfall%202

If you need to cheap to convince people, it'll get no cheaper...

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The Alternator is an absurdly fun gun and the one I clicked hardest with. Reliable damage, a good ROF and it can be used to plink at a distance. For running and gunning it's superb

I was a Tone main until she started getting a load of hate so I branched out and tried the others. I like them a lot, but now I don't care what the haters think and Tone is my main gal again. She's so cool.

Scorch is super solid and fun to play as though, I really recommend him

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I’ve literally never used the Alternator - do you have a favorite total loadout you like to pair with it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Songbearer posted:

The Alternator is an absurdly fun gun and the one I clicked hardest with. Reliable damage, a good ROF and it can be used to plink at a distance. For running and gunning it's superb

I was a Tone main until she started getting a load of hate so I branched out and tried the others. I like them a lot, but now I don't care what the haters think and Tone is my main gal again. She's so cool.

Scorch is super solid and fun to play as though, I really recommend him

No one throws hate at Tone anymore since they nerfed her into loving oblivion eons ago.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

No one throws hate at Tone anymore since they nerfed her into loving oblivion eons ago.

She's still great, she's just not a frontal assault titan any longer, she's a support titan like her profile mentions. Similar to Northstar though she's still REALLY good at hunting pilots.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

yeah tone has been nerfed like what 3-4 times and still def viable

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Songbearer posted:

I was on the verge of buying Black Ops 4 to get my Shoot Things urges sated but then I remembered that in a just and good world Titanfall 2 should've been considered the de facto gold standard for fast-paced multiplayer shooting, and it died a horrible, insulting death and I got so disgusted by the injustice of it all that every whim I had to buy Blops vanished into the ether

Goddamn it Titanfall 2 was so loving good and I feel like a madman who sees the hands that control the world operating beyond the veil of mortal ken as people walk idly by HOW DID PEOPLE NOT SEE HOW GOOD THIS GAME WAS, WHY DID PEOPLE REFUSE TO PLAY IT, WHY

Frankly I think they did play it, and like me found the multiplayer was a backwards step from Titanfall 1 in almost every way except movement and new pilot/titan designs. Respawn took an immersive story-driven online war experience and turned it into a sports match arena with inferior dead maps, ugly skins and an amateur UI.

This thread has been an echo chamber of positivity for 2 years from people who I think just have low standards outside of the meta gameplay mechanics (which are top notch). I’ve tried to get into TF2, but it does not look or feel right at all, it’s too plasticky and fake.

TF1 is a higher quality title in terms of art, environment design and ambition, it has more character, the conflict is more exciting and makes thematic sense between Militia vs. IMC. The campaign in TF2 is very well made for sure but the MP is almost offensive to me as a fan of the original. Look what they did to the Grunts for one thing, what the heck!

Genuinely I am shocked this was made by the same Respawn as the original. I hate to bring up reddit but search the TF sub there and the consensus seems in favour of the original. At this point I think a Titanfall 3 should move closer to large-scale future warfare like Battlefield 2142.

psyman fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 4, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

psyman posted:

Frankly I think they did play it, and like me found the multiplayer was a backwards step from Titanfall 1 in almost every way except movement and new pilot/titan designs. Respawn took an immersive story-driven multiplayer war experience and turned it into a sports match arena with inferior dead maps, ugly skins and an amateur UI.

This thread has been an echo chamber of positivity for 2 years from people who I think just have low standards outside of meta gameplay mechanics (which are top notch). I’ve tried to get into TF2, but it does not look or feel right at all, it’s too plasticky and fake.

TF1 is a much higher quality title in terms of art, environment design and ambition, it has more character, the conflict is more exciting and makes thematic sense between Militia vs. IMC. The campaign in TF2 is very well made for sure but the MP is almost offensive to me as a fan of the original. Look what they did to the grunts for one thing, what the heck!

Genuinely I am shocked this was made by the same Respawn as the original. I hate to bring up reddit but search the TF sub there and the general consensus I’ve found is that the original is superior. At this point I think a Titanfall 3 should move closer to large-scale future warfare like Battlefield 2142.

Nice meltdown.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

psyman posted:

Respawn took an immersive story-driven multiplayer war experience

Titanfall 1 had no story beyond "this is the map, here is a paragraph about the reason why we're on this map so you have something to read while it loads."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

psyman posted:

Frankly I think they did play it, and like me found the multiplayer was a backwards step from Titanfall 1 in almost every way except movement and new pilot/titan designs. Respawn took an immersive story-driven online war experience and turned it into a sports match arena with inferior dead maps, ugly skins and an amateur UI.

This thread has been an echo chamber of positivity for 2 years from people who I think just have low standards outside of the meta gameplay mechanics (which are top notch). I’ve tried to get into TF2, but it does not look or feel right at all, it’s too plasticky and fake.

TF1 is a higher quality title in terms of art, environment design and ambition, it has more character, the conflict is more exciting and makes thematic sense between Militia vs. IMC. The campaign in TF2 is very well made for sure but the MP is almost offensive to me as a fan of the original. Look what they did to the Grunts for one thing, what the heck!

Genuinely I am shocked this was made by the same Respawn as the original. I hate to bring up reddit but search the TF sub there and the consensus seems in favour of the original. At this point I think a Titanfall 3 should move closer to large-scale future warfare like Battlefield 2142.

Source your quotes because I want to tell whoever wrote this that they're dumb.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I do think TF1 multi looked and played better. The two games remind me a lot of CoD4 and Modern Warfare 2 - the sequel has a lot more stuff in it, and it'll probably be the one most people remember as the Titanfall, but the original had a purity and cohesion to it. That might partly be because I really enjoyed the fully customizable Titans and the bigger focus on the 'living battlefield' with panicking Grunts running around underfoot.

Also the music.

e: don't miss the multiplayer campaign at all though

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 4, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I mean, I can usually see where people are coming from but that's absolutely bizarre criticism. It lauds things that aren't there (TF1's story???) and singles out criticisms for TF2 that both games share (the big robot mechs are cartoonish and fake - no poo poo! that's in both games)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I liked the original Titanfall enough but the story based multiplayer grated on me after a while. It felt like they had a great idea for a concept that didn't really land at all, though gameplay was solid all around. I liked the dearth of options in TF2, especially the grapple hook, and the cosmetic unlocks were enough to keep me trooping on until I had a set of characters and loadouts I thought were super cool.

I get people liking the purity of the original game but it also seemed like people settled on the semi-auto rifle and standing on the corner of the maps to plink away at people before anything interesting could happen, either that or it was smartgun and satchel spam all day every day. With Titanfall 2 I could run and gun and still be a useful asset to the team and all the weapons seemed useful with the maps having lots of room for tight corridor combat and sprawling open areas - the only one I thought was a clunker is the giant outdoors one. Homestead, I think?

Taking a similarly-abbreviated game series as an example there were a lot of people who lauded the purity of the old Team Fortress Classic over Team Fortress 2 when it came out, and while I can appreciate the sentiment I can't agree from a gameplay and accessibility standpoint. Titanfall 2 just felt a lot friendlier in the way of letting you play the game the way you enjoyed it. Though I did think about a Battlefield-sized version of Titanfall I think the lower playercounts and high lethality really makes the game, otherwise it'd just be too easy to pick off players who wanted to traverse the map since there'd be eyes all over the place. One of the most refreshing things about the series is that you're so mobile that snipers have to work to be useful rather than having them suck the fun out of the game for everyone else.

Speaking of which, I recently upgraded my computer and Black Ops 4 did come free with my processor, so I've finally gotten round to playing it. Call of Duty's shooting still feels real good and it's every bit as addictive as I remember it being, the last one I played being Black Ops 1, but it also just makes me crave Titanfall 3 desperately. There's a character with a grappling hook which is interesting for the gameplay of CoD, but after TF2's it's so limited and lethargic that it's almost laughable. Snipers are abundant on the PC and an immediate death sentence if they have any semblance of aim and if you get caught out in the open, you're hosed five ways to friday. With Titanfall there's always a manoeuvre or trick you can pull to get you out of a tricky situation. Despite how people feel about the original, you have to admit that Titanfall 2 definitely deserved a lot more attention than it got. Even on release playercounts were godawful.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 4, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whenever I see TF1 evangelists it usually just seems to confirm that it’s ok I never got around to TF1. Just nothing they ever list as things that are bad about 2 are actually things I think are bad at all.

That said I’d still like to try it but I just assume the servers are literally empty at this point.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, I'd still probably say that I liked TF1's more open map design better, but that's literally all. It was also a fairly slight game, and I only ended up buying it for, like, 15 bucks.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I've been able to get some of the 4 person PvE maps going along with finishing the single player but around what time are any of the other multuplayer modes actually have people playing? Or is Mix Tape kind of a lost cause?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
TF1 GOOD

TF2 BETTER

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TF1 combat is just so slooooowwww in comparison.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The main thing I miss from Titanfall 1 is the loving detail given to the Grunts and their wider range of combat barks. The pain points of the multiplayer campaign aside, the Grunts in TF1 really felt like they were allied with either team and pursuing the same goals as the Pilots.

Respawn really had something special there and it's missing in TF2, which is a drat shame.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My fondest memory of TF1 is randomly getting a Goose kill with a Forty from waaay across the sand map with the giant dino skeletons.

And then a pang of guilt when another goon going for his prestige shouted "poo poo"

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
TF2 combat felt really slow until I realized stim was MP only. :shrug:

I loved the campaign in TF1, I just wish it had been possible to play it after the first month. TF2 had way better set pieces (fuckin' time-travel parkour :woop:) but I enjoyed the radio-play narrative you got from listening to grunts and briefings in TF1's online campaign. Also, the grunt-drop at the end of the IMC campaign was one of the coolest gaming-moments for me.
:discourse:

TF2 MP seemed a little better since the meta on PC went beyond shotty/satchels, but that's just me.

Xarbala posted:

My fondest memory of TF1 is randomly getting a Goose kill with a Forty from waaay across the sand map with the giant dino skeletons.

And then a pang of guilt when another goon going for his prestige shouted "poo poo"

I just remembered when a person had to get 50 gooses for the trophy... :sicknasty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I just remembered when a person had to get 50 gooses for the trophy... :sicknasty:

I gotta admit, before the nerf you got a lot of practice nailing those trickshots