Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Does anyone have any recommendations along the lines of Dog Soldiers, Outpost, or Deathwatch? I tried googling but I can't think of an actual common name for this subgenre. I guess it started with Aliens, the first sort of "squad of badasses runs into something supernatural" and then got famous with Predator, but I'm really curious to see more like low-key late 90s early 2000s movies with this same framing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Frog Act posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations along the lines of Dog Soldiers, Outpost, or Deathwatch? I tried googling but I can't think of an actual common name for this subgenre. I guess it started with Aliens, the first sort of "squad of badasses runs into something supernatural" and then got famous with Predator, but I'm really curious to see more like low-key late 90s early 2000s movies with this same framing.

I have exactly the movie for you: Alien Outpost. The recent DTV action flick Spectral is also exactly what you describe.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Spectral was really good.

If you've got kids, The Christmas Chronicles on Netflix is truly bizarre. Kurt Russell as smug Santa, incomprehensible "Santa rules" that change from scene to scene, and some of the most horrifying elves I've ever seen. Actual Minions would be less terrifying.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

precision posted:

God yes, what a fantastic and weird little movie. The scene with the swingers :stonklol:

blood_dot_biz posted:

Oh drat, that's a shame. It's the kind of movie I might not have ever seen if I hadn't of caught it randomly on Netflix. At least you can still rent it through places like Amazon, which I'd recommend to anyone in the mood for something offbeat and weird.

Also, apologies if I missed discussion on this but has anyone checked out They'll Love Me When I'm Dead and The Other Side of the Wind yet, and if so, which order would you recommend watching them in?

Coaaab posted:

Anyone else catch Bujalski's next movies after CC? I haven't gotten around to Results, but I thought Support the Girls was fantastic as well, albeit in a very different, much more normal fashion.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love Computer Chess.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, because dang. I'm prolly buying it on dvd now.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Mandy was awesome. Super trippy, lots of violence, and a lead role basically tailor made for Nicholas Cage who actually puts on a great performance.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I just watched First Reformed on Prime after missing it when it was in theaters. That was pretty heavy, but good as hell. I'm glad Schrader didn't go with the original ending he had in the script, even though I generally like super bleak stuff. This definitely makes me want to rewatch The Sacrifice. I watched that on a whim when I was a teenager and didn't really understand what was going on but it certainly left an impression. I also want to check out Ordet, but that doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere.

Also, Cedric the Entertainer was really good in this!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I just watched First Reformed on Prime after missing it when it was in theaters. That was pretty heavy, but good as hell. I'm glad Schrader didn't go with the original ending he had in the script, even though I generally like super bleak stuff. This definitely makes me want to rewatch The Sacrifice. I watched that on a whim when I was a teenager and didn't really understand what was going on but it certainly left an impression. I also want to check out Ordet, but that doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere.

Also, Cedric the Entertainer was really good in this!

Megachurch pastor is a great role for him.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

tweet my meat posted:

Mandy was awesome. Super trippy, lots of violence, and a lead role basically tailor made for Nicholas Cage who actually puts on a great performance.

Agreed. And speaking of Shudder, they just added a ton of Stephen King adaptations. Misery, Pet Sematary, Salem's Lot, Cujo, and a handful of others. Also Creepshow, which isn't really an adaptation but does star Stephen King in one of its segments so I guess it counts.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Frog Act posted:

Overlord when it leaves the theaters. Also, nth-ing Spectral.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If anyone wants to watch Mandy for free, it just got added to Hoopla, the streaming service offered by many public libraries. They have thousands of graphic novels from all the major publishers that you can download and read, and a pretty mediocre selection of movies with a few gems mixed in (The Long Goodbye, No Country For Old Men, the 1986 Transformers: The Movie, the recent and fun Hotel Artemis).

Just keep in mind Hoopla only allows you a certain number of checkouts per month, whether you choose books, graphic novels, single comic book issues, movies, or TV show episodes. My system only allows 4, so plan accordingly.

If you have a really nice, well-funded public library system, you may also have access to Kanopy, a streaming service that offers the entire A24 library (lots of overlap with Amazon Prime for now), as well as lots of Criterion Collection titles.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bodied on youtube is insanely good

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

precision posted:

Bodied on youtube is insanely good

Easily the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. About time it's getting a bigger release.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

If you have a really nice, well-funded public library system, you may also have access to Kanopy, a streaming service that offers the entire A24 library (lots of overlap with Amazon Prime for now), as well as lots of Criterion Collection titles.

Netflix has a good chunk of A24's library that overlaps as well, think it only goes to 2016 though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

blood_dot_biz posted:

Oh drat, that's a shame. It's the kind of movie I might not have ever seen if I hadn't of caught it randomly on Netflix. At least you can still rent it through places like Amazon, which I'd recommend to anyone in the mood for something offbeat and weird.

Also, apologies if I missed discussion on this but has anyone checked out They'll Love Me When I'm Dead and The Other Side of the Wind yet, and if so, which order would you recommend watching them in?

Absolutely. I thought They'll Love Me When I'm Dead was just alright. The interviews and talk show footage are fun, but it's a bit puzzling why Morgan Neville opted for a glossy approach. I do at least appreciate it using a lot of footage from F for Fake since it deserves to be as well known as Citizen Kane.

The Other Side of the Wind is essential viewing, though. Whether it reflects what Welles' final edit would have been, it's entertaining and dazzling in terms of technical stuff. I

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Season 3 of F is for Family is out.

Netflix animation has some pretty good shows.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

If you have a .gov or .edu email address through your employer or school, try to sign up. I'm not sure if it's just higher ed or k-12 though, but give it a shot. Their library can also vary by institution depending on what your place signed up for.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm completely surprised by this, but everybody should watch Dogs on Netflix. I totally thought it was going to be some inane TLC type series with just lots of videos of dogs being cute, or maybe at most something about the evolution of dogs from wolves.

But no. Each episode is like a mini documentary. The first episode dealt with a young girl with serious epilepsy, and her family, as they were about to welcome a service dog into their home. The second episode deals with a Syrian refugee in Berlin who had to leave his husky Zeus back in Syria with a friend, and his efforts to bring Zeus to Berlin.

It's very good.

Edit: I just finished episode 2, and I definitely teared up a little bit. Episode 3 is about a dog who works on a small fishing boat in the Italian Alps. The cinematography in this episode is gorgeous.

Edit: You guys. Episode 4 is about dog hair stylists from Tokyo entering an American dog grooming competition.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 2, 2018

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

The Last Dragon is on Netflix

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

The Last Dragon is on Netflix

I loving love this movie so much. It was on tv so much when I was a kid. There's nothing else like it. Or is there? If there is, let me know.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Jose Oquendo posted:

I loving love this movie so much. It was on tv so much when I was a kid. There's nothing else like it. Or is there? If there is, let me know.

Well Black Belt Jones ends in a 15 minute kung fu fight in a malfunctioning car wash, but as far as pure entertainment goes, The Last Dragon is tops. It helps that it's actually a good Kung Fu movie, and Taimat is a legit martial artist.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Season 3 of F is for Family is out.

Netflix animation has some pretty good shows.

I hope Season 3 eases up a little, season 2 was pretty brutal.

This is coming from somebody who likes Bojack Horseman.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

First Reformed was depressing as gently caress. Great movie though.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Bodied was a ton of fun. I loving love Joseph Kahn and Jackie Long is really good at emoting with his eyes. I want to see what a Kahn movie is like with a huge budget.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I hope Season 3 eases up a little, season 2 was pretty brutal.

This is coming from somebody who likes Bojack Horseman.

I was hoping the same thing, it's pretty dark so far.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

tweet my meat posted:

Not sure why you felt the need to include the word "actually" in that sentence.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jose Oquendo posted:

I honestly forget from time to time that Wallace Shaun did not play the villain that teamed up with Sho’Nuff.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Westworld the movie is on amazon prime. Its pretty great.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Frog Act posted:

I kind of want to recommend Death Machine here even though it only mostly fits the brief. Picked it up years ago on VHS from the counter of an off license, the way all good movies should be discovered.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't know what Baby is supposed to be about. It seems aimless.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Wrong thread

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Just watched Ballad of Buster Scruggs, the Coen brothers just really double dipping in on their nihilism/existentialism on this one. Definitely worth a watch but not their strongest effort.

Loved how the last segment starts with this beautiful sunset and ends in twilight, it was a beautiful parallel.

My only big nitpick, and I know I'm a weirdo for it: The digital blood and squibs seemed really glaring to me. Is it really too much trouble to make those practical effects?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Lobster is super weird.

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Lycus posted:

I didn't have any problem with the political stuff, I just didn't like the drawn-out fake-out death. I also didn't like the twiiiist of the gold train car, but that didn't have any effect on the plot, so it's minor. Still much enjoyed the show in general, though.

Just got around to finishing the series. I kind of feel like the show went off the rails when Charlotte came back from the dead. I thought her death was genuinely surprising and bold, and then to have her magically come back was an odd choice, but I’m assuming they want to milk the love triangle between her/gereon/mrs. rath. Also the brother being the doctor was a little odd.

I also didn’t really love the side plot of the secret nazi posing as a communist to get a housekeeper to murder a Jewish police leader. Was that his plan the whole time? That twist didn’t really feel earned.

I pretty much loved every single other thing in the show though so I’ll definitely give season 3 a shot, but I’m a little concerned now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mike N Eich posted:

My only big nitpick, and I know I'm a weirdo for it: The digital blood and squibs seemed really glaring to me. Is it really too much trouble to make those practical effects?

It’s not the effort but the cost, the effect is relatively simple. Practical squibs require multiple copies of the shirt in case more takes are need and you can only do as many takes as you have outfits. On top of that, even though it’s relatively safe, it still shoots up insurance premiums for the movie.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It’s not the effort but the cost, the effect is relatively simple. Practical squibs require multiple copies of the shirt in case more takes are need and you can only do as many takes as you have outfits. On top of that, even though it’s relatively safe, it still shoots up insurance premiums for the movie.

Interesting, can you expand on that a little. I know it is boring minutiae but it is something I never really thought of before.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don’t know too much, but from what I understand insurance is one of the bigger line items in a movie’s budget. You’re not just insuring against accidents or acts of nature but any money lost from those effects due to shooting delays. If someone gets hurt of your set burns down insurance is paying for that as well as the salaries while production is halted. And so the cost of insurance goes based on the likelihood of that happening.

A famous example is The Cable Guy, the part was written for Chris Farley. During preproduction Farley had a much publicized bender and so, when the studio did the math of Farley’s asking price of $6-8 million and the cost to insure him for the movie it ended up making more sense to pay Jim Carrey’s asking price of $20 million after insurance and box office draw were taken into account.

Rates also don’t exist in a vacuum, with the catastrophic accidents on Mazerunner, Resident Evil and The Walking Dead fresh in insurance companies mind they probably cranked up prices for a while to recover some incurred costs.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 4, 2018

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I cannot conceive a Chris Farley Cable Guy

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Broderick being really jealous of the cable guy flirting with his wife would have been way funnier imo

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
CG squibs also allow the makers to dial up/down the gore according to what rating they're going for.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Woke: Farley the Cable Guy
Broke: Larry the Cable Guy the Cable Guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

minato posted:

CG squibs also allow the makers to dial up/down the gore according to what rating they're going for.

It’s easier to clean up so they can get through more set ups instead of having to wipe everything down, change the actors clothes and all that for each shot.

(CG squibs can go to hell though)