Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
he hasn’t learned nothing

he’s learned that he doesn’t like it, no sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
remember: change is bad

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Boiled Water posted:

go is gonna go one of two ways:

itll either die like many a project from google (good end)

itll continue but under a severe dictatorship where a strongman takes over and makes it good somehow (neutral end)

continue as now (bad end)

the go community is centered around a shared denial of use cases and it fragments and dies as the individual people find themselves in a situation where they really want one of aliases / generics / dependency management / error propagation / expressive types / immutability / good concurrency primitives but none of that other stuff thank you very much i like simple languages

mystes
May 31, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

itll continue but under a severe dictatorship where a strongman takes over and makes it good somehow (neutral end)

Google probably has way too much go code for it to die any time soon so I imagine it's going to continue as it is now, but it's already in the process of ceasing to be the hot new language so it's probably going to be an embarrassing thing that nobody wants to use pretty soon.

On the other hand, it's a language designed to suit google's use cases perfectly and they probably has a pretty bad case of NIH syndrome so I'm not sure how they're going to deal with that (force everyone to Dart? I don't think that's gong to happen, especially on the server. Make a new language?).

I'd assume that google would stick with it for practical reasons, but I don't think their egos will be able to deal with it when potential recruits start listing go as a reason they don't want to work at google.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 3, 2018

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
What happened to dart anyway?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

What happened to dart anyway?

this did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2TcYP8qiRI

mystes
May 31, 2006

They keep trying to get people to use it. There was just some medium post pushing it as an alternative to electron for desktop apps a couple days ago.

It's really dumb to develop flutter as a reason to use dart though since they could have just written it in any other loving language that people actually want to use.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
is dart one of those wave-like things where they can’t disassemble a team and don’t want to fire them so they just wall them off on a project to nowhere as a quarantine to protect the rest of the org? and on the off chance they stumble into something useful google can still take the credit/control?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Partly and if it was clearly just a research project that would be one thing but along with fuschia the main thing it seems to be accomplishing is to cause confusion about Google's future plans for Android/java by making people worried that at some point everyone will be forced to use it when Google throws out the bathwater along with the baby.

If it's really just to keep them busy, Google really needs to make them stop announcing stuff in a way that makes people think that it's the official way forward.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 4, 2018

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

wahts that

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

their microkernel

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
a ground-up os redesign and rewrite. has its own microkernel and a ui layer written in dart for some reason. has no clear strategic purpose

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

mystes posted:

If it's really just to keep them busy, Google really needs to make them stop announcing stuff in a way that makes people think that it's the official way forward.

at some point it becomes partly the people’s fault for falling for it yet again

but maybe we aren’t there yet idk

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
like, is it supposed to go on phones and replace android? is it supposed to go on laptops and replace chromeos? is it supposed to go on servers and replace linux? is it supposed to go on some brand-new gadget? are product teams dying to ship it? are product teams skeptical but genuinely interested? are product teams giving it lip service to avoid political problems, allowing it to limp forward for as long as some vp has their ego invested? are product teams all secretly scheming to get it killed? nobody knows!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

lmbo

google really do have insane nih going on, don't they

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

like, is it supposed to go on phones and replace android? is it supposed to go on laptops and replace chromeos? is it supposed to go on servers and replace linux? is it supposed to go on some brand-new gadget? are product teams dying to ship it? are product teams skeptical but genuinely interested? are product teams giving it lip service to avoid political problems, allowing it to limp forward for as long as some vp has their ego invested? are product teams all secretly scheming to get it killed? nobody knows!

i assure you the answer to all these questions "uh sure why not" and there are five other competing microkernel teams inside google which arent open source

mystes
May 31, 2006

rjmccall posted:

I'm guessing nobody inside google knows either.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

making go slightly more tolerable so that more people begrudgingly adopt it through gopher fanaticism and middle managers going it's from google so it must be good despite its glaring deficiencies would be the absolute worst ending

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

rjmccall posted:

these same questions, but for every decision apple makes, and even less scrutable to the public

e: swift is good tho tyvm

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

making go slightly more tolerable so that more people begrudgingly adopt it through gopher fanaticism and middle managers going it's from google so it must be good despite its glaring deficiencies would be the absolute worst ending

you'd have to double my salary for me to program in go all day and welp that's pretty much what google pays

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you'd have to double my salary for me to program in go all day and welp that's pretty much what google pays

i would still love an explanation of why google has a policy of hiring people who are, in the immortal words of rob pike, "not capable of understanding a brilliant language". if they're not paying peanuts, why do they settle for code monkeys? and why are the shareholders not looking at go and running a mile?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Google also contributes maintenance and enhancement to Steel Bank Common Lisp, so there clearly are people there using a brilliant language

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

i liked reading this about utf7, thank you

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

karms posted:

i liked reading this about utf7, thank you

i wish i could write cool stuff like that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

meh, a shame that the standard had a mistake, but with everyone having a consistent read it seems both simple and efficient enough for email (everything being mashed into base64 is pretty much tradition after all, if you're fussed it is better to add some transport- and storage-level compression rather than messing about with such a broadly and weirdly implemented high-level protocol to try to save bits)

i take way more issue with the idea of having the mta's trying to negotiate encodings by comparison, software negotiating almost never turns out terribly helpful/robust. while not really "neat", or actually necessary, it seems to me just having the top-level always do utf-7, being semi-compatible with old 7-bit ascii, and leaving really weird additional encoding requirements as mime multipart stuff, would simplify things a lot with little in the way of real downsides

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol at the idea of the shareholders looking at go

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

what's so bad about Dart exactly

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Soricidus posted:

i would still love an explanation of why google has a policy of hiring people who are, in the immortal words of rob pike, "not capable of understanding a brilliant language". if they're not paying peanuts, why do they settle for code monkeys? and why are the shareholders not looking at go and running a mile?

they have more jobs to fill than there are good programmers. it's true at every major. for every competent programmer you have a dozen idiots who mostly run in circles and make messes for the competent ones to clean up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximo Roboto posted:

when is the last time you saw any real world thing about dart

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

cinci zoo sniper posted:

dangerous path because this standard makes electron good

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/12/google-bridges-android-and-ios-development-with-flutter-1-0/

Apparently these things are written in Dart.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ah yes, a google product. this is sure to live a long and healthy life

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maximo Roboto posted:

It's not uniquely bad or anything, but look at its history:

It was supposed to be a dynamically typed language that would replace javascript in the browser, but nobody wanted to use it. Then it was supposed to be a dynamically typed language that would run outside the browser but nobody wanted to use it. Then since dynamically languages aren't hot now, they turned it into a statically typed language.

Still, nobody cares about the actual language so to force people to use it they created a new cross-platform UI library (flutter) for it. They could have done this in any language, but they decided to use dart solely to force people who want to use flutter to use dart.

It's probably an OK language but there's nothing really special about it and nobody wants to learn another mediocre language just so they can use use a new UI library.

Plus, it's not even like Google is clearly putting its momentum behind it. Unless Google announces it's discontinuing java, kotlin, and go, betting on Dart seems extremely dangerous.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 4, 2018

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
i love that someone looked at javascript and said "the problem here is that there are no classes"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh also, flutter currently only supports android and ios but they're apparently working on transpiling to javascript so you can use it in the browser.

It didn't support physically keyboards on android until a few months ago.

I tried to run the flutter gallery app just now to see if it can handle input of east asian languages properly, but one of the demos caused my phone to completely lock up which has never happened before.

(One of the main people involved in flutter was involved in Silverlight, which IIRC never supported input of east asian languages ).

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

turnover is very, very high

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mystes posted:

(One of the main people involved in flutter was involved in Silverlight, which IIRC never supported input of east asian languages ).

if i recall correctly, silverlight never had an "input" layer at all

the programmer was expected to scrape raw key events, so good luck guessing wtf keyboard the user has in hand

mystes
May 31, 2006

I actually tried the flutter app again and once I found a demo with a text box it did work properly, so at least it has that going for it.

I probably wouldn't mind flutter if it wasn't inexplicably tied to dart. Apparently the actual engine is in c++ so maybe people will be able to make direct bindings for other languages that don't go through dart.

Although, that might not work with the other implementations (html, etc.) that are apparently in progress.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 5, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if i recall correctly, silverlight never had an "input" layer at all

the programmer was expected to scrape raw key events, so good luck guessing wtf keyboard the user has in hand

lmao what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Silverlight was wpf so idk what hes on about