Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Darth Walrus posted:

I think most of the viewers are other children. When they're not watching poorly-made Korean CG clips of Elsa eating Spider-Man's fingers, anyway.

this is correct and i know that because my son loves that poo poo and we've had to really clamp down on what he can watch on YouTube. Sometimes he randomly blurts out "thanks for watching this video! please like and subscribe, the button right there!" and then mimes pointing to an imaginary button below him.

I know it sounds weird to watch other kids open toys, but it's not any weirder than watching grown adults buying appliances on HGTV or Fortnite streamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

The Nastier Nate posted:

it's not any weirder than watching grown adults buying appliances on HGTV or Fortnite streamers.

What if that's weird, too?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's weird.

The Nastier Nate posted:

this is correct and i know that because my son loves that poo poo and we've had to really clamp down on what he can watch on YouTube. Sometimes he randomly blurts out "thanks for watching this video! please like and subscribe, the button right there!" and then mimes pointing to an imaginary button below him.
Perhaps this is just cranky old man nostalgia, but I find this a lot more insidious than "And knowing is half the battle!" and suchlike.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Nastier Nate posted:

lol nice son

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Doggles posted:

EDIT - And then I found this on reddit:

this picture is getting passed around with some label talking about how it represents our era and I can't help but wonder why people see poo poo like this and think "this represents the human experience in the modern age" and it gets a million retweets or whatever, but that same sentiment stuck on a picture of the bhopal disaster or something and thus more accurately reflecting the misery of the majority of the world never seems to get any play

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Frog Act posted:

this picture is getting passed around with some label talking about how it represents our era and I can't help but wonder why people see poo poo like this and think "this represents the human experience in the modern age" and it gets a million retweets or whatever, but that same sentiment stuck on a picture of the bhopal disaster or something and thus more accurately reflecting the misery of the majority of the world never seems to get any play

it’s a mystery that one, I’ll grant you that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Halloween Jack posted:

It's weird.

Perhaps this is just cranky old man nostalgia, but I find this a lot more insidious than "And knowing is half the battle!" and suchlike.

No, it's not cranky man nostalgia to be against putting children in front of absolutely unfiltered and unregulated skinnerboxes.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This is just child trafficking without the sex tbh.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

While we're making shameful admissions about how weird and broken we are: I realized recently that I prefer to watch people play videogames rather than play them myself, but only certain people who actually make it about the game (like Chip & Ironicus, Supergreatfriend etc.) and not just "The Jackass Idiot Face Cam Show [also videogames maybe]". They're generally much better at the games than I am, and do a lot of research and prep ahead of time in order to be able to tell you little facts about the development, show you supplementary information, stuff like that. Plus I can have that on in a corner while I'm doing something else which you can't really do with a game otherwise :shrug:

I mean I still play games, and I've definitely bought games I saw them playing that looked fun a bunch of times so it's not all just passive, but eh.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Nastier Nate posted:

I know it sounds weird to watch other kids open toys, but it's not any weirder than watching grown adults buying appliances on HGTV or Fortnite streamers.

Dude what's weird is big corporations using kids to advertise and profiting hugely and collect information on you and your kids so they can better advertise.

Like you think that kid is a "millionaire" and YouTube etc. aren't making poo poo tons more than what they pay him?

Like it's just child labor lol I bet that youtube kid's parents are total psychos just like all the others that exploit their children for material gain.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also I mentioned The Nastier Nate's story to a friend just now and got this in reply:

quote:

I heard about that kind of thing a little when I was working, people would talk about their kids and nephews and stuff and they'd say that they all want to be youtube stars and they "play youtube" where they pretend to be one.

Christ the future is weird.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Dude what's weird is big corporations using kids to advertise and profiting hugely and collect information on you and your kids so they can better advertise.

Like you think that kid is a "millionaire" and YouTube etc. aren't making poo poo tons more than what they pay him?

Like it's just child labor lol I bet that youtube kid's parents are total psychos just like all the others that exploit their children for material gain.

Eh I think the kid's actually pretty into it too (not that that's mutually exclusive with what you're saying or anything) but yeah I guarantee he's gonna be super messed up when he grows up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

This is just child trafficking without the sex tbh.

:agreed:

Shame Boy posted:

While we're making shameful admissions about how weird and broken we are: I realized recently that I prefer to watch people play videogames rather than play them myself, but only certain people who actually make it about the game

Yeah, I try to do that sometimes, but I'll get really irritated if they're bad at the game and poo poo it off, and dear lord there's so many people that are so bad at the lovely niche games I play.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's not any different from kids "playing TV" with a cardboard box with holes cut out, except that my television never sold my personal information to the vory.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
i guess child labor laws don't apply to the entertainment industry.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

qkkl posted:

they have the special law for it and they're exercising it. 15% his earnings have to be put in a trust, gotta go to school, etc

turns out you cant outlaw a cultural phenomenon being hosed up as hell

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

qkkl posted:

no, laws don't apply to the rich, op

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Frog Act posted:

I think it's just, which one will the average westerner recognize themselves in?

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 21:11 on Dec 4, 2018

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

crazy cloud posted:

rip that cooking w/ masao guy

what??? masaokis is RIP? got a link?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

Also I mentioned The Nastier Nate's story to a friend just now and got this in reply:

Christ the future is weird.

I don't know how other parents feel but I at least acknowledge that's a hosed up aspiration. Or maybe I shouldn't...let's be honest how many opportunities are there gonna be to make a living wage for my kid in 20 years?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Frog Act posted:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Good thing you can't just set that to wherever you want using debug tools or anything

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

In both my marketing class and my job, we were told to target kids because while they don't have their own money, it's really easy to convince them to get others with money to spend it on them. Not surprised a kids toy channel is the most lucrative on youtube.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

That kids parents probably will never give him any of the money

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They don't even let the kid keep the toys. It's what abusive parents do (oscillate between showering their kids with gifts and taking them away), but it's done in the name of profit, so it's good

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

That kids parents probably will never give him any of the money

by law 15% of it has to be kept in trust for him

but outside of the 15% yeah prolly not

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

"sought to care for" is a really interesting way to spell "identified a tax shelter in"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZZhhA87d6g

"Take a close look at the record of this company, and you will see that we gambled in markets traditionally regarded as non-profit. Hospitals. Prisons. Space exploration. I say good business is where you find it."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bob dobbs is dead posted:

by law 15% of it has to be kept in trust for him

Yeah but I bet there are a dozen loopholes sure as "trust funds can be used for childcare/education costs"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's December and that means a new health and fitness email from HR

Honestly I'm shocked they made it to that third bullet point before talking about how me eating too much at Christmas ruins their bottom line

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Frog Act posted:

Accretionist posted:

I think it's just, which one will the average westerner recognize themselves in?

Definitely this. People are narcissists and want to see themselves reflected in things because it validates their existence, I'm no exception. Not many of us would look at the piles of bodies that resulted from an industrial accident and think 'wow all these dead people remind me of my own life, and put things into perspective in a way that is relevant to me'.

It doesn't even make sense when you think about it, the picture lacks context and people fill in the gaps with their own ideas. At a glance it looks like a woman is filiming and laughing at a war veteran outside in the cold, while she is comfortable inside enjoying her corporate fast food. She isn't even pointing the phone at him (it's narcissim again to think that any time you see the back of a phone pointed forwards it must mean someone is taking a picture, and it might be a picture of you :tinfoil:), and it's weird that people might conclude that a war veteran outside on a cold day is something that should be considered tragic (we don't know where he is going or why). Also, there is no reason he can't go inside as well if he wanted to.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Apparently it's a woman taking picture of protests

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-selfie-really-this-photo-from-the-streets-of-paris-captures-the-spirit-of-an-era-2018-12-04

Which apparently isn't okay to do?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The very reason that photo strikes a sympathetic note with contemporary culture is that we recognize nobody in it suffers, and nobody is forced to act out of their role. It's a vacuous example of are troops worship, lacking any context or baseline for what it entails to be a soldier in the west..

The reason we don't see pictures of Bhophal etc. is that they actually challenge our world view and social roles, instead of reinforcing them - in this picture we see a soldier walking through the fog, and by acting submissively to the state repressive apparatus we make up for his inconvenience. No such easy way out is available when civilian deaths are involved and it's a private subject responsible.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But then who took the picture of her taking the picture!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Shame Boy posted:

While we're making shameful admissions about how weird and broken we are: I realized recently that I prefer to watch people play videogames rather than play them myself, but only certain people who actually make it about the game (like Chip & Ironicus, Supergreatfriend etc.) and not just "The Jackass Idiot Face Cam Show [also videogames maybe]". They're generally much better at the games than I am, and do a lot of research and prep ahead of time in order to be able to tell you little facts about the development, show you supplementary information, stuff like that. Plus I can have that on in a corner while I'm doing something else which you can't really do with a game otherwise :shrug:

I mean I still play games, and I've definitely bought games I saw them playing that looked fun a bunch of times so it's not all just passive, but eh.

I'm the same way but I just watch speedruns. If you think the "lets play" community is bad hoo boy. Try to watch a run of some really good atmospheric game and have loving sub donations go off, scarecam, some dancing anime gif etc in 480p because the guy just ran a screen capture of his loving twitch stream instead of saving a separate recording.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
ITT people delibrately misunderstand how pictures are read to prove how woke they are

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

MizPiz posted:

ITT people delibrately misunderstand how pictures are read to prove how woke they are

It reminds me of goons trying to interpret pbf comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

I have just the thing to take that weight off your shoulders.