Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I wonder if NG+ mode exists as a way for the devs to completely nuke the 2.0 story and re-do a less tedious version of it, while giving everyone access to it.

I'm not too sure if I'd do a NG+ mode because I just don't want to slog through the tedium of 2.x to get to the good stuff. I'd like to experience it again, but god drat I do not need to do several hours worth of titan buffet again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

I wonder if NG+ mode exists as a way for the devs to completely nuke the 2.0 story and re-do a less tedious version of it, while giving everyone access to it.

I'm not too sure if I'd do a NG+ mode because I just don't want to slog through the tedium of 2.x to get to the good stuff. I'd like to experience it again, but god drat I do not need to do several hours worth of titan buffet again.

They'll offer some dumb minion and maybe a lovely mount as a reward for NG+ and I'll slam that button in seconds because I am a loving idiot.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Ill probably do it once Im all caught up on content/classes I wanna level. It would be interesting so see some of that again without making an Alt Ill never actually use.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Great White Hope! posted:

Add me. Osha Approved. I'll get you into my LS that does hunts and maps. I feel you on the FC front tho. The majority of FCs are underwhelming on this server. I'm in one with like 5 irl friends.

Rad, thanks. Added you as Aldous Dracht.

Edit: Or I guess I will when you're online, game told me it was unable to send.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nessus posted:

I think in-universe thus far any time you died in a fight, it's actually an alternate Echo scenario you newtyped out.

The WoL is like the dude from Re:Zero; even though everyone perceives them as winning all the fights, in reality they get painfully killed constantly and repeat them until they win.

Zenos knows this, which is why he spared the WoL in their first encounters.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

M.c.P posted:

Buttons to take off your PLD bars:

Shield bash is only good to boop annoying enemies that are annoying enough to justify losing a GCD when you don't have a white mage.
Tempered Will is useful to keep casting holy spirit when you know a knockback is happening.
Cover someone else when you know a knockback is coming so they keep dpsing.
Agreed, Intervention is not worth spending oath on when you could be sheltroning to shield swipe more.
Clemency while screaming "HOLY!" at the white mage. Rare usage.
Shirk is a raid tool.
Anticipation is free mitigation.

Ultimately I don't agree that any of these deserve to be removed from the bar as of now, but I won't miss Anticipation, Shield bash is irksomely kludgey and I really wish Total Eclipse would just replace Flash with itself and be blinding.

The Thread posted:

WoL Lyfe chose me

For those we have lost. For those we can yet save.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Tempered Will is a great way to get commendations due to the two dragons in Syrcus

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

RME posted:

Fordola saw every bad party you’ve been a part of but she’s actually horrified when she realizes it was you all along

She's most horrified when she sees the honest healers you've had to deal with since 2.0.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Here's a full list of buttons to take off your bars as any class:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mymla posted:

Why is Physick (SMN) not on this list? :colbert:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why is Physick (SMN) not on this list? :colbert:

It's next to Physick (SCH)

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Mymla posted:

Fluid aura

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Mymla posted:

Fire 2
Edit: Blizzard 2

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Cabbit posted:

Fire 2
Edit: Blizzard 2

any BLM skill that's not flare or flare accessories

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Crutch

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

here's my weekly checkin on me complaining about honest healers: ran some level 50 content as whm and you still have so much loving time to do dps it's unreal

just slap a regen on the tank they'll be fine, let them drop low who gives a poo poo hit them with benediction and go back to throwing whatever rocks you find on the ground, chain cast holy who needs the mp when all the enemies are stunned forever

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speaking of Crutch, if you decide to do T8 unsynced for some reason, bringing two melee DPS should let you completely ignore ballistic missile by Crutching the bound people

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Freeze is the worst offender, because at least things like Fire 2 and Bliz 2 have some marginal use at low level and Crutch hasn't stubbornly existed since 2.0.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
The DRK quest owns because it is one of the few (if only) times in the game where we get to actually have the WoL's thoughts.

"Thus let me live, unseen, unknown;
Thus unlamented let me die;
Steal from the world, and not a stone
Tell where I lie."

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 4, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Thundarr posted:

Freeze is the worst offender, because at least things like Fire 2 and Bliz 2 have some marginal use at low level and Crutch hasn't stubbornly existed since 2.0.

Freeze is the only spell a blm can precast. :v:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

The DRK quest owns because it is one of the few (if only) times in the game where we get to actually have the WoL's thoughts.

"Thus let me live, unseen, unknown;
Thus unlamented let me die;
Steal from the world, and not a stone
Tell where I lie."

huge fan of

"...So it goes. If you would not forsake me, then of course you would not forsake him. And so...neither can I. He is a fool, but he is our little fool. The little boy who wanted to make this cruel, twisted world a better place, futile as that is. He's going to get us killed one of these days...but what can I say? I love him. I forgive him. And you..."

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

also the final DRK journal entry ending with "You are still a good person." is so simple and cliche but it still blows my rear end away

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Marathanes posted:

Wars: The Invasion of Eorzea in 1.X, Dragonsong War, Liberation of Ala Mhigo, Liberation of Doma (the half war?)

Serious poo poo: Fall of Dalamud / Bahamut / the Calamity, and the Final Steps of Faith?

Just trying to see what you're referring to by these - because even some of the lesser magnitude stuff that doesn't make the list could have been really harrowing to most folks (and you touch on a lot of that in your other points), but to me the worst thing is even though the WoL has been at ground zero for so many horrible catastrophes and battles, they literally can't save everyone. They can and do save tons of people, but the people they couldn't save from Nidhogg, Bahamut, Zenos, Gaius, Thordan, all of the primals, the Ascians, et al., are the thing that would really stick in my craw. I choose to believe that's the weight the WoL is carrying in the SB2 trailer, and why they look so ragged before getting stepped on by a Kuribu (which'll perk up anyone, I guess).

To be completely clear: Dragonsong, Ala Mhigo, Doma are the full wars. The half war stuff is basically everything big that happened in Eorzea proper. (Because that's not over yet.)

The Serious poo poo(tm) moments: The Post-Archbishop Ishgard Coup and the lead up to the Final Steps of Faith, specifically what happens at the unveiling of the crest in Falcon's Nest for the Dragonsong war.
For Ala Mhigo, you've got the Summoning of Shinryu and the whole Specula Imperatoris thing.

To me it's not only that the WoL can't save everyone, but that the WoL can fail (usually through no fault of their own) and BOY HOWDY what happens when they do fail.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
A lot of it is also the willingness of people to throw themselves in front of the WoL. The WoL is dangerous in and of themselves, but the cult of personality (ha!) is also a burden. As a beacon inspiration, the WoL inspires people to lay down their lives willingly.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

also the final DRK journal entry ending with "You are still a good person." is so simple and cliche but it still blows my rear end away

One of my personal favorites is: He laments his fate, wishing he could go back and convince his former self not to place his trust in the Griffin...but if such things were possible, you wouldn't have a broken shield, now would you?

All three Dark Knight arcs have been top loving tier. I know that for a lot of people, the 50-60 arc is their least favorite out of the three but it is still probably better than any other arc of any other class. And personally, I thought it was so loving badass at how it subverted my expectations.

At the end when Sid has his blade ready to murder Rielle's mother and Rielle steps up. I immediately expected the cliche story of Rielle begging to save her mother's life and instead when she walked up and said something like, "I see this will never end. I hope you find peace in the next life." my jaw just about hit the loving floor.

I hope the 70-80 arc is just as good as these.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kaubocks posted:

Unreliable Narrator is pretty powerful with that line.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

So, I want to get the entire Sigmascape caster set, because it oozes FF6 and I love it. That includes the BLM staff, which means I need to do savage Kefka. I see that this is available in the duty finder.

How much pain am I in for here?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

You will not be able to clear savage kefka in the duty finder.

Maybe after much struggling and deliberation in party finder.

Maybe.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

08S is considerably easier than it was half a year ago if everybody is at about i400, but you're still going to need to learn mechanics and deal with wipes caused by any one member loving up. You'll want to do this in PF, not DF, and don't go in with the expectation that you'll get what you want quickly unless you luck out and find a very good farm party that somehow doesn't already have what they want.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Ah, well, I'm sitting at around 366. So much for that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

God Kefka is a very healer-centric fight. If you can find some pro healers to carry you through, the other mechanics are not that hard. After watching videos and reading about it for like 30 minutes I got super lucky, found a PF clear group, and cleared on my first time in the fight in about 40 minutes when it was current.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hello I do not recommend you attempt to heal a dungeon while having steam downloading a game in the background full blast.

While it's fun to have so much latency that casting swiftcast-holy-holy causes swiftcast apply to the second holy, it's not fun to have the tank die because benediction has a 3 second delay.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
What kind of 2004 internet do you have that makes you unable to download and play at the same time?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
bandwidth is a hell of a thing

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kaubocks posted:

The Immortal Flames do not condone the killing of unarmed combatants. But this isn't real, so why should you care, kupo?

(I might legitimately freak the gently caress out if the game started talking like that in DRK quest logs.)

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Mordiceius posted:

One of my personal favorites is: He laments his fate, wishing he could go back and convince his former self not to place his trust in the Griffin...but if such things were possible, you wouldn't have a broken shield, now would you?

All three Dark Knight arcs have been top loving tier. I know that for a lot of people, the 50-60 arc is their least favorite out of the three but it is still probably better than any other arc of any other class. And personally, I thought it was so loving badass at how it subverted my expectations.

At the end when Sid has his blade ready to murder Rielle's mother and Rielle steps up. I immediately expected the cliche story of Rielle begging to save her mother's life and instead when she walked up and said something like, "I see this will never end. I hope you find peace in the next life." my jaw just about hit the loving floor.

I hope the 70-80 arc is just as good as these.

I legitimately like Sid, the huge doofus.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Since the Diamond Rod is out of the question, anyone happen to know offhand of a BLM staff that would work well with the Sigmascape set?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Kefka should be hard because he was the best FF villain :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cabbit posted:

Since the Diamond Rod is out of the question, anyone happen to know offhand of a BLM staff that would work well with the Sigmascape set?

There's a couple. If you want just dark and menacing, the Silvergrace rod, which uses the old lilith relic model, the Black Khan rod from the anima line, and the Scintillant staff are neat. My personal favorite is the Storm Captain's Rod.