Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a patagonian cavy posted:

My flight school has 152s so I could probably hover without pushing it too hard

In a 152? Definitely. With flaps out, the one I'm flying stalls at about 38kn indicated. I'd be going backwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Hovering cessnas is just the best

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Animal posted:

The FMS is only as smart as the two retards sitting in the cockpit.

Should be in bold 36pt font.

I'm pretty sure they got away from using EPR for thrust settings because of stuff like this. Every subsequent jet I'm aware of used N1 instead.

Butt Reactor posted:

I’m glad someone at the company today had the intelligence to cancel our last two legs today instead of returning to Chicago:

KORD 252339Z 2600/2706 04022G32KT 2SM -SNRA OVC008
TEMPO 2601/2603 1/2SM SN OVC006
FM260300 02025G35KT 1/4SM +SN BLSN(blowing snow) FZFG(freezing fog) VV004(vertical vis. 400ft)
TEMPO 2603/2607 02030G40KT 0SM +TSSN FZFG(freezing fog) VV001(vertical vis. 100ft)CB
FM261000 36023G35KT 1SM -SN BLSN(blowing snow) BR OVC008
FM261300 34018G28KT P6SM BKN009 OVC015
FM261800 31012G20KT P6SM BKN030

Thunder snow! :rock:

I really miss seeing W0X0F in SA's every once in a while.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, the accident report from the Seneca crash at my airport last year finally came out.

After the accident, which was assumed to be an engine failure immediately after takeoff, our school put into place a whole bunch of new training procedures and SOPs to handle engine failures immediately after takeoff. Which is good -- nothing wrong with being proactive about safety!

But... it turns out that the accident was probably caused by dipping below VMC during a simulated engine failure immediately after takeoff, which brings to mind the more pressing question of: why the gently caress would you simulate a low-level engine failure after takeoff/overshoot when you're actually that close to the ground? Especially with a student that had only 6 hours on type.

On a personal level, it's somewhat comforting that the two training accidents at my airport in recent memory have been caused by instructors doing things that make me go :psyduck: as soon as I heard about them. Like, hey, maybe if I just don't purposefully ignore the recommendations of the manufacturers and Transport Canada, this is a pretty safe job!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 26, 2018

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Bob A Feet posted:

How do take offs for big airplanes work? Why wouldn’t they push to their temp/torque/whatever limit every time to ensure their is always enough thrust?

In a land or FADECs why not just firewall it?

We pay for whole runway, we use whole runway.

https://youtu.be/UZGXwbPfwQs

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

PT6A posted:

On a personal level, it's somewhat comforting that the two training accidents at my airport in recent memory have been caused by instructors doing things that make me go :psyduck: as soon as I heard about them. Like, hey, maybe if I just don't purposefully ignore the recommendations of the manufacturers and Transport Canada, this is a pretty safe job!

Yep, same here.

The last serious accident was an instructor who did something dumb. And it cost him his life.

The flight school has a PiperSport for training.

So with the prop spinning he got out of the aircraft, walked over to try to help the student with the canopy issue, and ended up walking into his own prop.

Yes, he died.

https://www.enterprisenews.com/x259327706/Weymouth-pilot-killed-by-propellor-at-Beverly-airport

I was actually just coming in on a final when they closed the runway for 6 hours. Ended up going to Hanscom to wait it out.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Well this is wonderful. In addition to weather cancellations, we now need to contend with our control tower being horrendously short-staffed and the circuit being constantly full as a result. Yeah, a training airport with three large flight schools operating and a circuit restricted to three or four aircraft at a time. This will end very well!

We better get to changing our syllabus to include preliminary cross-country training early on, so we can go to other airports to do circuits, or we are fuckin' hooped. Most of my students are in the circuit portion of their training right now too, and at the rate of improvement I'm currently seeing with most of them, they're going to be there for a while. I have one student nearly ready for a first solo (hopefully this weekend!) and after that, I have one who's progressing well when we can fit into the circuit, and two who are giving me a serious rear end-clenching "I HAVE CONTROL" moment at least once a flight still.

I don't know what the gently caress else I can do, I've got two students through this stage before, I have another one who's making significant progress on every single flight, and then I have a few who I'm just happy to see no severe nosewheel abuse from on a given flight. I don't think it's my instructional technique because I'm getting good progress out of a lot of my students, but I'm at my wits end with the others. And I can tell they're getting bored, but we can't move on until you're flying consistently non-frightening approaches and landing on the centreline with some kind of flare on a consistent basis!

EDIT: Also we had a huge argument among instructors today about how a CPL-standard steep turn looks. It's described as a 180-degree steep turn, followed by a smooth rollout and reversal into an opposite direction steep turn, ending at the original heading you started on. How does this look from a birds-eye view, assuming no wind? It's an S. There were multiple instructors who thought it should look like a crescent moon. I can't even. :psyduck:

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 29, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Are there any airports nearby? I used to go to a couple of non-towered fields when the pattern would get too busy at the airport I taught at.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Are there any airports nearby? I used to go to a couple of non-towered fields when the pattern would get too busy at the airport I taught at.

Yeah, there are two about 30nm away and one a bit further. It's a waste of time going there for circuits and then coming back when our bookings, if everything is going extremely well, allow for maybe 1.6h flight time. And it's a waste of the time spent going to and from those airports if students have no prior instruction on even the basics of cross-country navigation and flying. We need to modify our syllabus to cover basic cross-country technique earlier on so we don't waste that time, and we need to extend bookings to at least three hours if we're going to have significant circuit practice at those other airports.

It's totally doable, but it's a complete poo poo-show with our training ordered the way it is now, and two-hour bookings.

EDIT: And regarding the steep turn, we consulted the aerobatic instructor/pilot examiner to figure out how one would actually fly that "wrong" flight path. It's a 180-degree turn, followed by a hammerhead, followed by a 180 in the opposite direction, and then another hammerhead to roll out on the original heading as per the flight test standard. Which would totally be a cool manoeuvre to accomplish, but it certainly ain't in the flight test guide.

And beyond that, how do you handle that situation as another instructor? The instructor who was incorrect was extremely pissed off that the student, who was correct, was gloating a wee bit. Which was not good politics, to be sure. But on the other hand, you're loving wrong and I'm not going to tell the student(s) who were telling you that, to stop doing it, because being able to stand up to authority and experience when you're certain you're right is something that could literally save lives. On the flip-side, being able to admit you're wrong is an important skill too, because regardless of knowledge and experience, you will eventually be wrong about any number of things.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 29, 2018

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I mean having to always fly out to another airport to do pattern work isn’t terrible but maybe that’s why my school does 2.5 hour bookings

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

I mean having to always fly out to another airport to do pattern work isn’t terrible but maybe that’s why my school does 2.5 hour bookings

Oh, for sure. I think it even has some advantages, like getting used to different pattern altitudes and making sure students are relying on what the pattern should be, instead of just relying on landmarks. It's also way easier to do crosswind practice, since our home airport has two runways at 90 degrees to each other, meaning we never get a direct crosswind. Still, before we go do that, we should have a briefing on cross-country procedures even if we don't get into the nuts and bolts of flight planning like we do later in the syllabus, since we might as well do something useful with the time we spend between airports.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Yeah even though it’s only like 15 minutes to any of the options, my instructor was definitely nudging me to think about navigation things long before we started talking cross country proper.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah even though it’s only like 15 minutes to any of the options, my instructor was definitely nudging me to think about navigation things long before we started talking cross country proper.

That's actually a very good point -- I could theoretically get started with things like map-reading and ground speed calculation without necessarily briefing on it ahead of time and adjusting the syllabus.

I also think it's a good way of breaking up the boredom of doing circuits at the same airport over and over again. Mind you, with narrower, shorter runways, elevation changes, and more obstacles, lord knows I'm going to be slightly less forgiving as an instructor with any fuckups.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Well it took three months of waiting on the FAA, and finishing pretty much all of my dual requirements, but I finally got my medical and did my first solo :toot:

PT6A posted:

That's actually a very good point -- I could theoretically get started with things like map-reading and ground speed calculation without necessarily briefing on it ahead of time and adjusting the syllabus.

I also think it's a good way of breaking up the boredom of doing circuits at the same airport over and over again. Mind you, with narrower, shorter runways, elevation changes, and more obstacles, lord knows I'm going to be slightly less forgiving as an instructor with any fuckups.

I definitely quickly learned how the look of a runway affects your approach. There was one runway that was giving me all sorts of problems on approach, but after a couple of patterns I realized that the approach end was raised 20-30ft from the surrounding ground and I was judging based on the ground and not the runway. A nice little lesson on why you look down the runway.

I also think just having the cruising time before and after is a nice way to settle in and get comfortable.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dupersaurus posted:

Well it took three months of waiting on the FAA, and finishing pretty much all of my dual requirements, but I finally got my medical and did my first solo :toot:

Congrats! It took me a while to get mine too and I did the same thing. I had a ton of hours before I had my solo.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

We've got our first real rain of the season today, and I have an IFR lesson, we're about ready to do some cross country IFR flights, so cool maybe I can finally get some time in actual. Oops, no my CFII fell out of currency, guess we'll have to cancel instead. :eng99:

I'm flying safety pilot for him Monday to get it back at least.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Via Air's Chairman is also a line captain: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-ne-sanford-airport-via-airlines-20181121-story.html

(e- And a former Israeli fighter pilot, as it turns out.)

a patagonian cavy posted:

Who's ready to see how low groundspeed readouts can go at 2,000AGL

I was on a Delta 737-900 into CMH last month with Airshow saying we had a 67kt headwind at 3,000MSL (~2,000AGL).

So that's a 739 doing roughly 90-100 knots of ground speed. :stonklol:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 30, 2018

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

CBJSprague24 posted:

Via Air's Chairman is also a line captain: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-ne-sanford-airport-via-airlines-20181121-story.html

(e- And a former Israeli fighter pilot, as it turns out.)

Call me cynical, but any time I see "central Florida" and "aviation" in the same sentence, my mind immediately and directly goes to "fraud on a massive scale".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

Call me cynical, but any time I see "central Florida" in the same sentence, my mind immediately and directly goes to "fraud on a massive scale".

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MrChips posted:

Call me cynical, but any time I see "central Florida" and "aviation" in the same sentence, my mind immediately and directly goes to "fraud on a massive scale".

I will say that on paper, the business model can work (it's basically what Allegiant does, but with smaller airplanes), but the airline industry is notoriously brutal for smaller companies, and they're running old TSA airplanes that spend a ton of time broken, so I suspect they're probably a fuel price hike (or the owner getting tired of shoveling money into the airline) away from shutting down.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

azflyboy posted:

I will say that on paper, the business model can work (it's basically what Allegiant does, but with smaller airplanes), but the airline industry is notoriously brutal for smaller companies, and they're running old TSA airplanes that spend a ton of time broken, so I suspect they're probably a fuel price hike (or the owner getting tired of shoveling money into the airline) away from shutting down.

I pull for the little companies, but you're exactly right.

They were running EMB-120s on EAS flights from CLT into West Virginia a couple years ago and had a $40 r/t promotion and, wanting a ride on the Bro for the first time since I was a kid, bought tickets for a day trip out of PKB since it's a bit over an hour from where I lived. I got a call the night before that the plane broke and so the flight was cancelled; they gave me a refund.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Tech thread in D&D has some much good opinions about autopilots and flight directors, let me tell ya!

Did you know that planes can now taxi and take off by themselves? I didn't, but clearly I just don't know as much about flying as fishmech.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

The Tech thread in D&D has some much good opinions about autopilots and flight directors, let me tell ya!

Did you know that planes can now taxi and take off by themselves? I didn't, but clearly I just don't know as much about flying as fishmech.

Isn't there a drone that can do that now but they have to shut down the entire airport to use it?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

PT6A posted:

I mean, there's nothing at all about your SA presence to suggest your expertise.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

PT6A posted:

Your first mistake was reading D&D

Your second was replying to fishmech

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I found the heading vs course argument with fishmech in YOSPOS amusing at least.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I found the heading vs course argument with fishmech in YOSPOS amusing at least.

He was arguing that? Oh gently caress me, he's like my most unfavourite of students.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

He was arguing that? Oh gently caress me, he's like my most unfavourite of students.

It's in the tech bubble thread if you hate yourself and feel like getting angry. He demonstrates a fantastic misunderstanding of aircraft autopilot, UAV autopilots, magnetic declination and inclination, and the difference between heading and course.

For instance, did you know that it's possible to determine an aircraft's heading merely by plotting a series of GPS coordinate fixes? Cause fishmech sure does

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn't there a drone that can do that now but they have to shut down the entire airport to use it?

There are any number of military drones that can quite happily taxi and take off / land with minimal (if any) human input. And, yeah, the TTP in most cases is to drop a ROZ on the airport and freeze ground movement of most aircraft while they're doing their thing, which is why several airfields that routinely conduct both drone and manned aircraft operations bothered to build an entire separate runway for the little buggers.

Sagebrush posted:

For instance, did you know that it's possible to determine an aircraft's heading merely by plotting a series of GPS coordinate fixes? Cause fishmech sure does

I am kinda morbidly fascinated to know how he thinks that would work, either in theory or in practice.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Why you don’t even need pilots anymore. All the commercial planes take off and land themselves anymore anyways, didn’t you know?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DrDork posted:

I am kinda morbidly fascinated to know how he thinks that would work, either in theory or in practice.

Like everything else fishmech, it was his gut reaction that he was then compelled to defend for the rest of time rather than admit being wrong about something.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DrDork posted:

he made the usual naive assumption that ignores crosswinds etc. and then had to defend it because he's pathologically incapable of being wrong.

it started out with the sort of smartest-boy-in-the-world statements that are obviously untrue if you bother to research them a bit:

fishmech posted:

compasses aren't wrong or unreliable at high declination, they're simply troublesome to use over very long distances without re-adjustment.

fishmech posted:

i just don't see how this results in a drone not being able to navigate,

like i doubt the cheapy ones with a glorified rc car controller care about a compass direction,

plus the ones fancy enough to have gps nav should be able to move between gps waypoints absent the magnetic compass

and then when people corrected him with things like "no, compasses do act weird around the poles" and "even cheap drones need magnetic sensors to orient themselves" he melted down into posting this over and over again:

fishmech posted:

measuring your course over ground over time allows you to determine your headings.

fishmech posted:

you do not need to use magnetic compasses to determine this lmao.

and once again you can in fact determine your heading from previous locations.

fishmech posted:

and you can determine that from the gps data. it is simply harder.

fishmech posted:

you can record gps data over time to determine what your heading must be.

feel free to continue melting down over this if you want

fishmech posted:

track your locations over time and compare it.

fishmech posted:

which allows you to determine what heading you must have

if you really feel like angrying up your blood you can start here, where i kicked the whole thing off by relating an anecdote about quadcopter drones going off-course and crashing in the far arctic because the magnetic field is so fucky.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847958&pagenumber=677&perpage=40#post488114063

e: oh he also brings up in there that he has like 4 hours in a 172 so he obviously knows everything there is to know about navigation

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 5, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I bet he’d be a joy of a student to have.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Guys if you keep saying his name he will show up like Beetlejuice.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I learned long ago to put fishmech on ignore

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Today the Marines finally released the report on the C-130 that went down in Mississippi last year. It's pretty damning. Depot maintenance contractors didn't do required corrosion inspections on propellers (for years, probably) and just sent them back out to the fleet. In this case, after putting anti-corrosion coating over an actively corroded blade. And they destroyed all their paperwork after two years so we'll never know who to blame.

Also we just crashed another one in a midair with a Hornet off Japan on the same day, so today is not a great day.

(full report here)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

e.pilot posted:

Why you don’t even need pilots anymore. All the commercial planes take off and land themselves anymore anyways, didn’t you know?

I'm sure he's just confusing the autopilot with the Otto Pilot, which does have a demonstrated ability to take off.

https://i.imgur.com/C8DHmOc.gifv

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Well, the new instructor for my Awful Moron Student has "fired" him. Apparently he was caught not checking the actual fuel and oil quantities before the flight, and just writing whatever on the dispatch sheet :psyduck:

I don't think there's any way the boss can defend this moron now; that's not just being a bad pilot, that's being a dangerous, lying fuckup. And lazy. I mean, it takes 30 seconds to do it properly, why would you lie about that?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

overdesigned posted:

Also we just crashed another one in a midair with a Hornet off Japan on the same day, so today is not a great day.

Yeah, the Corps has been having a real bad few years, and my heart goes out to my brothers and sisters who are having to dig through the wreckage (both literally and proverbially). It's almost like flying the barn all day every day while cutting maintenance time and money to the bone has had bad long term effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Day before yesterday a guy from my flying club had a substandard landing:

I don't know him personally, but he was apparently happy to talk to the local media.

In Danish: https://dagbladet-holstebro-struer.dk/holstebro/Fritidsfly-ramte-i-jorden-ved-Borbjerg/artikel/394068

He was trying to land here.

It's 01/19 and 300m/1000ft long. Apparently the guys who mow it dictate that you may only land on 19.

From the article: This pilot comes in to land on 19 even though there is a tailwind. "You can do that - as long as you can get the plane slow enough. In this case I couldn't do that", he told the media.
When he had made it too far down the runway he realizes he has to do a go-around, but the sun is low making it hard to see how high/low he is. Then the landing gear hits a small mound of earth at the end of the runway, reducing the speed greatly. The plane crosses the road, the wheels are on the ground, a lake is fast approaching. He turns the plane left, the wing hits the ground and it tips forward and stops.