Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Warmachine posted:

Did the impossibility of this kid come up at all or did the eunuch just sort of accept it like, "No dick, sounds legit."

I had the wife of a Celibate character become pregnant, and she claimed it was an immaculate conception. I could choose to believe it, pretend to believe it, or flip the gently caress out.

My Crusade ended up in a weird situation - I already held the Kingdom of Jerusalem title (a dynasty member had been the recipient of an earlier, successful Crusade, then lost the Holy Land, and the title came back to my main bloodline a little later) so I had assumed this Crusade would just sort of continue using that. Instead, it created a new 'Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem'. So now I am King of Jerusalem and King of the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem, which is a little clunky, but I can't really think of any reason not to keep both titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I have a few questions for people who know this game. Normally I would just experiment, but I'm playing Ironman for the first time for achievements so I can't really screw around.

1. I just Forged a Bloodline for the first time. My children got the bloodline immediately, but my grandson (and eventual heir) did not. Is it because the father wasn't of my dynasty, or is it a bug? Although he wasn't of my dynasty, he was married matrilineally to my daughter. I spent a lot of :10bux: building 10 castles, so I really want to keep it in the family.

2. I'm the King of Abyssinia. My grandson and eventual heir is somehow the Emperor of Byzantium. Is there an instant replay feature to figure out how his father managed to get crowned Emperor?! He was just some random steppe nomad i married to my daughter because he was a Genius. I turn to fight the Abbassids for a few years and next thing I know, he's wearing the purple. The Byzantine Empire didn't even exist until he somehow reformed it.

3. Does it make sense to switch culture to Greek once I start playing as my grandson? If I'm gonna piss off half my empire anyway, it might as well be the half that has Ethiopian Skirmishers instead of Cataphracts, right? And if I'm the Emperor of Byzantium, does Constantinople get any special bonuses that make it a better capital than my current county with three castles?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you click the title and then click on history, you can see how each holder of the title acquired it. Probably the kid was a really good commander for the Byzantines so he got the imperial succession to choose him.

I feel like generally what culture you want to be is mostly a roleplaying choice, since normally at some point you're going to have a bunch of cultures bumping around your domain anyways. Do you want to stay true to your ancestors or give in to fancy new city ways? Move your base of power up to Greece or keep it back in your heartland?

Probably the Greek vassals will be more powerful than the Abyssinian vassals because they're more built up, and you get the ability to castrate or blind people with Greek culture, but I've never made any heads or tails over cultural retinues.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Vengarr posted:

I have a few questions for people who know this game. Normally I would just experiment, but I'm playing Ironman for the first time for achievements so I can't really screw around.

1. I just Forged a Bloodline for the first time. My children got the bloodline immediately, but my grandson (and eventual heir) did not. Is it because the father wasn't of my dynasty, or is it a bug? Although he wasn't of my dynasty, he was married matrilineally to my daughter. I spent a lot of :10bux: building 10 castles, so I really want to keep it in the family.

2. I'm the King of Abyssinia. My grandson and eventual heir is somehow the Emperor of Byzantium. Is there an instant replay feature to figure out how his father managed to get crowned Emperor?! He was just some random steppe nomad i married to my daughter because he was a Genius. I turn to fight the Abbassids for a few years and next thing I know, he's wearing the purple. The Byzantine Empire didn't even exist until he somehow reformed it.

3. Does it make sense to switch culture to Greek once I start playing as my grandson? If I'm gonna piss off half my empire anyway, it might as well be the half that has Ethiopian Skirmishers instead of Cataphracts, right? And if I'm the Emperor of Byzantium, does Constantinople get any special bonuses that make it a better capital than my current county with three castles?

1. This sounds like a bug. Did you forge a bloodline with a female ruler? I just had a bloodline propagate correctly to the great-grandchildren through both regular and matrilineal marriages so it sounds like something weird happened.

2. Click on the Byzantine Empire title shield and click on "History". It will show you all the past holders of the title and how they obtained it.

3. Constantinople isn't that great of a county but it usually has high tech and a lot of buildings. It has a bunch of cities and only 2 castles though. As for Greek culture, you get a couple of minor benefits, like blinding and castration, but beyond that and vassal opinion there isn't too much else going on. Also, it turns out Ethiopian retinues are actually really good, and Cataphracts sort of aren't, so take that into consideration.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Yashichi posted:

1. This sounds like a bug. Did you forge a bloodline with a female ruler? I just had a bloodline propagate correctly to the great-grandchildren through both regular and matrilineal marriages so it sounds like something weird happened.

2. Click on the Byzantine Empire title shield and click on "History". It will show you all the past holders of the title and how they obtained it.

3. Constantinople isn't that great of a county but it usually has high tech and a lot of buildings. It has a bunch of cities and only 2 castles though. As for Greek culture, you get a couple of minor benefits, like blinding and castration, but beyond that and vassal opinion there isn't too much else going on. Also, it turns out Ethiopian retinues are actually really good, and Cataphracts sort of aren't, so take that into consideration.

It was a male ruler. I thought maybe there was some cucking involved, but his mother (my daughter) has the bloodline and the grandson doesn't, despite the fact that it has Matrilineal Transfer.

Cataphracts sucking is sad stuff. Carpeting the world with Ethiopian Skirmishers has worked well so far, but I really wanted to build a big cavalry retinue and run people over.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cataphracts used to be one of the best retinues in the game but horse archers got nerfed incredibly hard. They aren't TERRIBLE since they still have 150 heavy cav but they eat up a lot of retinue cap for that so you're probably better off with shock/defence retinues.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Aaaaaand now it’s academic since my poor boy slipped into a coma and died the minute he came of age. Byzantium was nearly in my hands...

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

Less well than expected is certainly one way to describe a stubborn, slothful, craven imbecile with cancer. I'm sure there's a way for the game to spit out a less useful character but I don't think they'd survive to adulthood. Time to try and matri-marry her in the hope that she can spit out a child before dying.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Do I need to directly own a county with a Silk Road Trade Post in order to benefit? Or do vassals’ trade posts kick some cash into my coffers?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vengarr posted:

Do I need to directly own a county with a Silk Road Trade Post in order to benefit? Or do vassals’ trade posts kick some cash into my coffers?

Yes but only at the rate that your current tax law affects them (and that includes the tax penalties if they don't like you). So you will get way more by controlling it directly.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Waldstein Sonata posted:

Less well than expected is certainly one way to describe a stubborn, slothful, craven imbecile with cancer. I'm sure there's a way for the game to spit out a less useful character but I don't think they'd survive to adulthood. Time to try and matri-marry her in the hope that she can spit out a child before dying.

You treasure that lovable little idiot.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

You treasure that lovable little idiot.

Hey, sometimes it turns out that your hunchback woman who inherited the kingdom and gets kicked back to a single county ends up setting the stage for a massive resurgence later in the timeline. That's how my game is going, and I finally control a little under half of the Iberian peninsula and finally have managed to breed good congenital traits into my dynasty, after basically being the last living member still carrying on said bloodline.

Waldstein Sonata
Feb 19, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Hey, sometimes it turns out that your hunchback woman who inherited the kingdom and gets kicked back to a single county ends up setting the stage for a massive resurgence later in the timeline. That's how my game is going, and I finally control a little under half of the Iberian peninsula and finally have managed to breed good congenital traits into my dynasty, after basically being the last living member still carrying on said bloodline.

Or, in this case, she just picks up depression and dies of cancer 13 months later without issue. Perhaps Odin will grant her a new life as a Valkyrie for "special" soldiers. Yes he died because he challenged a man a foot taller and twice as broad to single combat, but the idiot still died in combat. Such are the einherjar that Alfrith could collect.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
honestly, eldership gives me the same jollies as tanistry did in that it throws up these absolute incompetents and I get to decide how the heck I'm going to try and salvage them into half-decent people

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I found the eldership feature where they actively try to pick the worst possible candidate if they're unhappy can lead to some real death spirals. They start picking morons who get plotted against from all sides and who get the new ruler penalty, they hate you so they pick the worst next, you get assassinated, repeat.

It was a real threat that made the "no short reign" reform doctrine totally worth it.

Then I realized you could just bribe the elders and buy favors.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If the Elders didn't like me, I just ended up choosing the child I wanted least to inherit - safe in the knowledge the petty idiots would then choose the better of the other options, i.e. the person I wanted to inherit in the first place.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Unless they’re like, a strong genius and you would prefer to switch to them while they’re still young to get the most out of their reign.

Take the childhood event that makes them both ambitious and your rival, too.

I’ve gone and dueled my son after giving him Mjolnir, just to have both die during the duel :allears:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

If the Elders didn't like me, I just ended up choosing the child I wanted least to inherit - safe in the knowledge the petty idiots would then choose the better of the other options, i.e. the person I wanted to inherit in the first place.

Yeah the Elder's absolute refusal to pick the candidate you nominate if they're discontent is kind of silly. I feel like instead of a massive -1000 "under no circumstances will your pick ever be king" penalty, it should be a much smaller one that can be overcome by other factors, so basically if they don't like you, they'll more or less make a free choice of who they like, regardless of whether that happens to align with what you want or not.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So speaking as somebody with 500+ hours in the game: what causes titles to split when you've got Primogeniture? I have no idea what's going on outside of a bug. The background:

1. I have two kingdom level titles
2. Both are Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture
3. I have two sons, both with the exact same parents.
4. Eldest son has two kids, youngest has none.

The eldest just died, and now apparently my titles are going to split because my youngest son is the primary heir to the first kingdom, but my (now deceased) eldest son's two kids are first and second in line for the second kingdom. :psyduck: I have no idea how this could happen given both kingdoms have the exact same inheritance laws.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Hmm, you might try unpausing and letting it run for a couple months. Sometimes the game gets confused when something changes with the succession.

Edit: Also, sometimes quitting and relaunching the game fixes issues like that too.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 5, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Last night my ruler died in battle, and his 11-yo daughter (only child) inherited. His wife/her mom was pregnant at the time of death, and gave birth to twin boys a few months later. I got the pop-up I had a new heir, but also the "no heir for your dynasty" warning, and when I pulled up my new brothers to see what the problem was, I saw they were actually part of my mother's dynasty, and of her culture, not mine. I guess because the dad was dead at the time of their birth? It ended up not being an issue, because my character started pumping out babies the minute she turned 16, but I thought it was a little odd.

Also what determines if someone's made a saint or not? Because I had a guy who had basically every virtue, no negative traits, prestige and piety both over 10K, was head of the Dominicans and bffs with the pope, and was known as "the Missionary", and I didn't get squat.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 5, 2018

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Crow Jane posted:

Last night my ruler died in battle, and his 11-yo daughter (only child) inherited. His wife/her mom was pregnant at the time of death, and gave birth to twin boys a few months later. I got the pop-up I had a new heir, but also the "no heir for your dynasty" warning, and when I pulled up my new brothers to see what the problem was, I saw they were actually part of my mother's dynasty, and of her culture, not mine. I guess because the dad was dead at the time of their birth? It ended up not being an issue, because my character started pumping out babies the minute she turned 16, but I thought it was a little odd.

Also what determines if someone's made a saint or not? Because I had a guy who had basically every virtue, no negative traits, prestige and piety both over 10K, was head of the Dominicans and bffs with the pope, and was known as "the Missionary", and I didn't get squat.

The pregnant mother dead father situation is a known bug, not fixed in the 3.0.1 patch.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Sainthood

The upshot is that even if you live a perfect, saintly life free from all sin and are heavily involved in church matters, you've still only got a 38% chance to be canonized. So it comes down to luck on the RNG.

e: it goes higher if your bloodline has no saints or if Catholicism has no saints yet, though.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Patch Notes posted:

Hopefully fixed the Children's Crusade still getting stuck at Genoa, stacking ludicrous amounts of event troops and then obliterating Islam.

Made sure it's not *anyone* that writes a romantic tale of their mother and their inappropriate sparring matches.

Added age check on wandering knight falling in love with a Queen during her coronation.

Made sure your character is aware of the fact that your *spouse* is the satanist inductor in the devil worshiping joining chain (you can no longer shock them with your marital status as a way to chicken out).

Lesbian rulers will no longer believe that their lover has become pregnant with their child.

This game.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The invasion against China is a mother fucker. I had to save scum a few times to play with some different strategies, but I finally got one that worked. They were in a golden age around 990 when I invaded, so they started off with 186k soldiers right from the get go, with basically no light infantry, and awesome commanders. Between the vassals I could call up on the eastern steppe, and the retinues I had in the area, I had about 360k, almost exclusively light infantry and archers. In a straight up fight they would absolutely destroy me, so I really had to let their forces spread out, and be opportunistic about picking off stacks. I divided my armies in two, with half in southern Tibet, and half around samarkand where the silk road branches into khazaria and Persia. I managed to catch some forces spread too thin in Tibet, which drew all their forces into that area to counter attack. They smashed whoever couldn't retreat fast enough with their superior movement speed, but the damage to their war score was done. I staged all my forces in northern India where the supply limits were much higher. They sieged literally all of Tibet down to nothing, losing a few thousand men in the process. Meanwhile, I was replenishing men by the thousands in India through my retinue reinforcement. By the time their forces began to emerge from the Himalayas into India proper, I was at a war score of -10%, but I outnumbered them 300k to 80k. It was then that the tide began to turn. They dropped another 50k men on the coast of India as reinforcements, but by that point, it was too late. I chased them back into Tibet, where their armies were all but crushed. Then I had to spend years unsieging almost everything they had taken in Tibet to reach 100% warscore, but I did it. It took 12 years, and hundreds of thousands of lives, but they finally gave in to the wave after wave of men I threw at them. Thank God.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That's why you don't invade China during a Chinese golden age!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Hah. So 3.0.1 is out; it appears they reduced the rate of deaths and disabilities in battle by the simple expedient of an immediate ={} block in the respective events that just silently calls them off 75% of the time.

edit: Ugh. Just examining the code, I don't think they fully fixed the bug where you can't call another legendary gathering after the first. The wrong scope on clearing the flag was the obvious problem, but I found when I fixed that one that there was an additional issue of the society progress needing to be reset to 0, and another flag blocking further progress cleared. Their fix doesn't seem to have these corrections. So if I'm right, you'll be able to "call" it, but progress will sit at 0% forever.

They also didn't fix hellenic temples in bodpa provinces being unclickable black squares, where I reported exactly which three characters in which file you need to change to make it happen. :mad:

Torrannor posted:

That's why you don't invade China during a Chinese golden age!
That's coward talk.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 5, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Strudel Man posted:

Hah. So 3.0.1 is out; it appears they reduced the rate of deaths and disabilities in battle by the simple expedient of an immediate ={} block in the respective events that just silently calls them off 75% of the time.

Good, I haven't had my ruler lead armies since HF landed because it was a marginally faster way of just committing suicide

In my Africa game I lost something like 7 commanders in 5 battles, two of which were my Kings, and the best commander on the enemy side in that timeframe was 7 martial with a -8 personal combat ability. It was just a massacre fighting tribals

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Azhais posted:

Good, I haven't had my ruler lead armies since HF landed because it was a marginally faster way of just committing suicide

In my Africa game I lost something like 7 commanders in 5 battles, two of which were my Kings, and the best commander on the enemy side in that timeframe was 7 martial with a -8 personal combat ability. It was just a massacre fighting tribals
Yeah, I think they're assuming you're being killed by soldiers, not an enemy commander. The event for "you're dead" gets less likely the better of a military leader you are, but it doesn't actually depend on any characters opposite you in any way.

It can also fire, of course, while you have the entire enemy army in rout...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Azhais posted:

This probably explains why my game is so starved for competent commanders right now. I'm lucky that the lady who told my King, "Hey, I'm better than that idiot, let me lead," hasn't bought the farm yet. Though, at the same time, I'm in a big fish small pond situation where I am doing a round robin holy war against a bunch of small dutchies who can't offer much against my economic-military powerhouse.

This will not last once I start punching at the empires to the east of me.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Warmachine posted:

This probably explains why my game is so starved for competent commanders right now. I'm lucky that the lady who told my King, "Hey, I'm better than that idiot, let me lead," hasn't bought the farm yet. Though, at the same time, I'm in a big fish small pond situation where I am doing a round robin holy war against a bunch of small dutchies who can't offer much against my economic-military powerhouse.

Speaking of which, one of the events that's annoying me at the moment is when I get a battlefield duel, rush in to fight (since my rulers are almost always great at combat), and have a random commander decide to fight on my behalf instead. No, dammit, I want the duel experience.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

yeah they defo need to put in an option on that event where you can just say "no gently caress off"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Warmachine posted:

It really seems to be a tribal pagan (or maybe just pagan) thing. 150 years of pictland and I've only lost one so far

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah leaders died way too easily in default HF. It got to the point where I started doing the thing I said I'd never do and savescummed before each battle, because gently caress my 200+ personal combat tribal warlord getting limbs hacked off every other battle.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

This checks out :shuckyes:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the patch turned my black character white

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
hey wait it turned every character white!

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Aww, I don't see a fix to the dueler bloodline in the patch notes as before it was bugged to be unattainable. Hopefully it was fixed.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Once you get the warrior lodge bonusi you are pretty much invincible anyway? I don’t get the mortality complaints

Also finally got my first immortal ruler! After 1000+ hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Just noticed this in the patch notes:

Added Arberian cultural retinue and cultural building.

Who is that? Wikipedia brings up Albanians, but wouldn't they just count as south slavs?