Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/APCentralRegion/status/1070290504443723777
(Also reduces early voting)

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1070128649939181570

https://twitter.com/MiekeEoyang/status/1070326421556510720

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I don't hate people very often. But I hate these people so much that it makes me want to cry in frustration.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I'm actually having trouble even finding tweets about this news.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/sini-election-fraud-arrests-1.24231657

quote:

Two employees of the Suffolk County Board of Elections, as well as an East Hampton Independence Party leader, were charged Tuesday with forging signatures on nominating petitions, in some cases with the names of dead people, District Attorney Timothy Sini said.

The former chairman of the East Hampton Town Republican Party is expected to face similar charges in court Wednesday.

Board of Elections employee William Mann, 60, of Cutchogue, faces charges of second-degree criminal possession of a forged instrument, first-degree offering a false instrument for filing and two counts of official misconduct. Another employee, Gregory Dickerson, 55, of Mattituck, was charged with two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a forged instrument and two counts of first-degree offering a false instrument for filing.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

What I'd like to know here is how these rules actually are enforced when the new AG and Gov take office. Couldn't one of them ignore these rules, and then a court case would ensue?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Court is packed 4 to 3 with republicans. But there is an election in spring 2019 to replace a republican seat. But they want to make it part of April and not in the Wisconsin primary to limit voting.

Also lol at making new coal plants in this day and age. Coal is a great way to bankrupt a power company because it's not economical to use as power with natural gas being dirt cheap. Literally that relaxation of the rules is just red meat that won't even make new plants.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Frabba posted:

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/sini-election-fraud-arrests-1.24231657

You missed this fun bit:

Article posted:

An affidavit from Robert Maloney, an investigator with Sini’s office, said Mann and Dickerson submitted Green Party nominating petitions to the Board of Elections in July that contained forged signatures, including, in one case, the signature of a person who died in 2014. Mann and Dickerson hoped to get Republican candidates listed under the Green Party on the Nov. 6 ballot to boost GOP chances of victory in last month’s election, Sini said.

The Green Party continues to be utter poo poo.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Also lol at making new coal plants in this day and age. Coal is a great way to bankrupt a power company because it's not economical to use as power with natural gas being dirt cheap. Literally that relaxation of the rules is just red meat that won't even make new plants.

Buying coal plants ain't bad right now.

Mostly because big multinationals will sell them for a song and a dime right now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder who it even plays with (aside from his base). Coal country is not a huge population, and the dispossessed coal industry workforce is famously tiny. For it to make sense for him to grandstand about building new coal plants, the entire country would have to be clamoring about power prices being too high or something. And last I checked people's electrical bills were somewhere around priority #472 on their hot-button topic lists.

If Trump gave a poo poo about what subjects people actually talk about in the broader conversation regarding power generation, he'd be trying to make the case for more and cheaper natural gas power that follows the market forces and technological progress or whatever if he still insists on going lalala i can't hear you about climate change. But he thinks BUILD MORE COAL PLANT = AMERICA LOVE ME

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Court is packed 4 to 3 with republicans. But there is an election in spring 2019 to replace a republican seat. But they want to make it part of April and not in the Wisconsin primary to limit voting.

That worked out well for them last time: https://www.vox.com/2018/4/3/17195062/wisconsin-supreme-court-election-results

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I live in the very beating heart of Indiana's coal country and the closest they can come to actually finding a use for the drat stuff is a coal-to-diesel refinery. Every utility in the area knows coal power is uneconomical and are trying to ditch it, especially when any benefits the Trump Administration gives can be taken away by even the most blue dog of Democrats.

The coal-to-diesel plant is kind of a huge deal right now because everyone in the coal industry is desperate to see the old way of life survive in some way, but the proposed plant is literally within the limits of a town and a mile from a school. Doesn't help that its being built in the "sacrifice zone" where everyone loving dies of cancer due to growing up in the Bermuda Triangle of airborne carcinogens.

The Indiana Department of Environmental Management, which doesn't factor health into its permitting process, basically said in its draft report that "air quality in the area already sucks, this won't make it significantly worse." I'm going to a public hearing on the issue tonight actually. It's almost certainly going to be approved by the state, but I would not be surprised at all if the whole project collapses at the first sign of trouble. Similar projects fell through in the past elsewhere in the state.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/environment/2018/12/04/idem-says-new-coal-plant-have-no-significant-impact/2196951002/

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
reminder that Giuliani had an on air radio rant about ferrets.

also he married and hosed his cousin.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

quote:

The measures would also require the attorney general to get legislative approval to withdraw from lawsuits. That move is designed to block Democratic Gov.-elect Tony Evers from allowing the incoming attorney general, Democrat Josh Kaul, to withdraw Wisconsin from a multistate lawsuit challenging the Affordable Care Act.
Seems odd that you'd make some remain a part of a lawsuit they don't want to be in, where they can then be a plaintiff filing poo poo adverse to the other plaintiffs, ruining arguments, etc

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

EwokEntourage posted:

Seems odd that you'd make some remain a part of a lawsuit they don't want to be in, where they can then be a plaintiff filing poo poo adverse to the other plaintiffs, ruining arguments, etc

:umberto:

I mean, that's why history has an agonizingly slow but inevitable march toward progress.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Frabba posted:

The media only breathlessly publishes completely fictional accounts of Democratic rigging of elections, not actually real accounts of Republicans doing it

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Maybe its because I dont live down there but this freaks me right the gently caress out and I dont know why your news stations arent throwing this up with sirens and alarms.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

Maybe its because I dont live down there but this freaks me right the gently caress out and I dont know why your news stations arent throwing this up with sirens and alarms.

The media is complicit, they don't care about Republican wrongdoing. They literally just don't, there are different standards for the two parties.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

EwokEntourage posted:

"Your honor, the state of Wisconsin would like to move that we don't want to insure the blacks and the feds can't force us."

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Since there's an election for a new WI supreme court justice in April, I imagine the incoming Democratic administration can just wait for the Democrat justice to take the seat, then file a lawsuit challenging the new laws and win that. I don't see how these laws last very long.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
again non rgressives need to grab and shake what ever levers of power they can, they did the polticial stuff last nov, they need to fix The Media too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

clockworkjoe posted:

Since there's an election for a new WI supreme court justice in April, I imagine the incoming Democratic administration can just wait for the Democrat justice to take the seat, then file a lawsuit challenging the new laws and win that. I don't see how these laws last very long.

The Republicans are trying to drive down turnout for the election with their changes.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

The Republicans are trying to drive down turnout for the election with their changes.

And they've already gerrymandered the state so bad there's no way for Democrats to get the legislature without a federal anti-gerrymandering law, which is also extremely unlikely due to how naturally gerrymandered the Senate is

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

clockworkjoe posted:

is there a reasonable argument that the changes are illegal under the state's constitution?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Russia will develop missiles banned under a Cold War agreement if the US exits the pact, President Vladimir Putin has warned.

His comments follow Nato's accusation on Tuesday that Russia has already broken the Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty.

Signed in 1987 by the US and USSR, it banned both countries' use of all short and medium-range missiles.

But Mr Putin says the accusation is a pretext for the US to leave the pact.

In televised comments, the Russian leader said many other countries had developed weapons banned under the INF treaty.

"Now it seems our American partners believe that the situation has changed so much that [they] must also have such a weapon," he said.

"What's our response? It's simple - in that case we will also do this."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46458604

Look at this smug motherfucker. This is just so Putin. First he does something way out of line and when they get caught and called out, they just double down and go nooo look what you're making me do!

Some good news too though

quote:

A satanic group has added its own statue to a series of displays in the government building of the US state of Illinois to mark the festive season.

Placed between a Christmas tree and a menorah, the four-foot sculpture depicts a snake coiled around an outstretched arm holding an apple.

It's the first display sponsored by the Chicago chapter of the Temple of Satan.

The state government said the temple had the same right as other religious groups to have a display.

"Under the Constitution, the First Amendment, people have a right to express their feelings, their thoughts," Dave Druker, spokesman for the Illinois secretary of state, told the State Journal-Register. "This recognises that."

The move has been criticised on social media by Illinois Family Action, an anti-abortion pressure group.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46453544

Kale
May 14, 2010

Don't like the election outcome, just change the rules to hold onto as much power as possible. Totally cool and Democratic and one party isn't just transparently about wielding power for powers sake alone.

I think the EIU made the right call to drop the U.S from full Democracy to flawed democracy and it'll probably remain that way as long as the GOP remains the party with the most power in the most states. Apparently it could drop further still too in the EIU's Democratic Index since the main reason it dropped to flawed democracy was a result of coming up short in the "functioning of governement" category, after Trump took power and before all the state GOP power grabs, disenfranchisement, voter fraud and partisan nonsense of the midterms.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

EwokEntourage posted:

Under the new law the legislature can also appoint a different attorney of their choosing to prosecute cases. Which is all kinds of messed up.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Artonos posted:

Under the new law the legislature can also appoint a different attorney of their choosing to prosecute cases. Which is all kinds of messed up.

Oh wow yea that is super hosed up. Brings up some ethical questions i think but I don't do government work

mystes
May 31, 2006

All these attempts to consolidate power to the state legislatures really just show how fundamentally screwed up the American system of government it.

The US constitution does a terrible job of preventing stuff like this because the US wasn't designed to be an actual democracy in the first place.

Probably the only solution is a constitutional amendment that massively curbs states governments' ability to do bullshit like this.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

EwokEntourage posted:

Oh wow yea that is super hosed up. Brings up some ethical questions i think but I don't do government work

Hell yeah it brings up ethical questions. As a wisconsinite I'm incredibly pissed that we are going to pay for private attorneys to help deny people health coverage.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

I wonder who it even plays with (aside from his base). Coal country is not a huge population, and the dispossessed coal industry workforce is famously tiny. For it to make sense for him to grandstand about building new coal plants, the entire country would have to be clamoring about power prices being too high or something. And last I checked people's electrical bills were somewhere around priority #472 on their hot-button topic lists.

If Trump gave a poo poo about what subjects people actually talk about in the broader conversation regarding power generation, he'd be trying to make the case for more and cheaper natural gas power that follows the market forces and technological progress or whatever if he still insists on going lalala i can't hear you about climate change. But he thinks BUILD MORE COAL PLANT = AMERICA LOVE ME

There are people in Florida that are vocally in favor of coal. It's a stupid talking point because "gently caress liberals." That's all there is to it. It costs them nothing and the base gets all happy about it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mystes posted:

All these attempts to consolidate power to the state legislatures really just show how fundamentally screwed up the American system of government it.

The US constitution does a terrible job of preventing stuff like this because the US wasn't designed to be an actual democracy in the first place.

Probably the only solution is a constitutional amendment that massively curbs states governments' ability to do bullshit like this.

oooooooooooooooooooor a packed SCOTUS reinterpreting what it means to guarantee a republican form of government

mystes
May 31, 2006

I mean ideally we would have already enshrined stuff like this in the constitution before we got this point, because it's not like an amendment is going to be possible now except for maybe the constitutional convention route which is a terrifying idea.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

evilweasel posted:

oooooooooooooooooooor a packed SCOTUS reinterpreting what it means to guarantee a republican form of government

alternatively, look forward to next year's 5-4 decision holding that the guarantee of a republican form of government bars democrats from holding state elected office

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/tictoc/status/1070415508565045251

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

evilweasel posted:

alternatively, look forward to next year's 5-4 decision holding that the guarantee of a republican form of government bars democrats from holding state elected office

can we not do the stupid despairposting in the thread about real news thanks

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Discendo Vox posted:

That part is stalled out for now: https://patch.com/wisconsin/madison-wi/republicans-drop-2020-presidential-primary-move-now

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1070418755254132736

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Artonos posted:

Hell yeah it brings up ethical questions. As a wisconsinite I'm incredibly pissed that we are going to pay for private attorneys to help deny people health coverage.

Pissed enough to actually vote? Pissed enough to organize your fellow pissed off individuals to do the same? In every election, not just the ones that make your state look like a piece of poo poo? All this is happening because young people didn't vote for the better part of a decade.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

saintonan posted:

Pissed enough to actually vote? Pissed enough to organize your fellow pissed off individuals to do the same? In every election, not just the ones that make your state look like a piece of poo poo? All this is happening because young people didn't vote for the better part of a decade.

It's happening because young people didn't vote in 2010, and then Wisconsin was gerrymandered so badly that Republicans got less votes for the state legislature but got a massive majority anyway. It's not a question of bad turnout since 2010.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
I've voted since I've been able. I'd be surprised if people posting in the real news thread in D&D didn't vote... I'm considering getting involved with volunteering but haven't actually done it.

Unfortunately my vote doesn't matter except at the state level due to living in Pewaukee right now. If that means anything to anyone. I emailed my rep and state senator about these bills though. So far as that did anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

evilweasel posted:

It's happening because young people didn't vote in 2010, and then Wisconsin was gerrymandered so badly that Republicans got less votes for the state legislature but got a massive majority anyway. It's not a question of bad turnout since 2010.

Wisconsin is broken even more fundamentally than that. Gerrymandering for sure is an issue, but at its core WI is a Deep South red state with a few big Blue cities. I wish redistributing/voting reform would be the fix but I doubt it would be enough.