Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I finally managed to figure out a way to get these riffs together coherently so I decided to record it. It's weirdly all in F minor, and I'm in love with that last riff even though it's kinda textbook melodeath

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/winter2018/s-0u7Uk

I'm not happy with the bass so I'm going to rerecord it when i go back and replace the drum templates

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Spanish Manlove posted:

I finally managed to figure out a way to get these riffs together coherently so I decided to record it. It's weirdly all in F minor, and I'm in love with that last riff even though it's kinda textbook melodeath

I'm not happy with the bass so I'm going to rerecord it when i go back and replace the drum templates

Wow you're not lying that the last riff sounds melodeath as gently caress. I'd 100% believe you if you told me that was in a Kalmah song somewhere (true of most of the other riffs too, though the first one seems black metal-ish to me). Sweet riffs!

What's your signal chain like? I like that tone a lot.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Omg thank you, I've been tweaking that tone for a while now and finally decided to stop tinkering with it. It's in standard tuning on my mockingbird with black winters. That's going into a tube Screamer then directly into an interface, and then using a 5150 clone in BiasAmp2. I think I can upload the present onto their sharing service. Tube Screamer settings are 2:00 / noon / max.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

I woulda guessed that that was a real 5150 (or maybe a DSL or modded Marshall). Maybe I need to try out bias because that sounds *great* to me. Amazing job tweaking that!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

nitsuga posted:

Guitar Center's used selection is hard to beat. Here's an S6 for $200 + tax and shipping, and they're really good with returns too. Otherwise, as other people have said, the Yamaha is a pretty solid choice too. Kind of hard to wrong with anything of theirs either.

GC's used selection and pricing is in fact great, but I would not under any circumstances buy anything they list as in "fair" condition without putting hands on it first.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

robbob posted:

Are there any tips on helping learn songs by ear or is it basically just practice a bunch? Decided I wanted to try and learn a song this way (mostly because I can't find any tabs online) and I'm having trouble finding that opening note. I feel like I know an ok amount of theory that I might be able to work it out once I find the home base to work from but I'm not sure if there are better ways to figure this out besides trial and error.

If anyone cares this is the song for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auz3ZybYomQ

Pick up ear training! I use the iOS app Functional Ear Trainer and it has done so much for my ear training and playing/writing in general.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Jeez man you’re blasting out some good poo poo

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I got the first half of the drums written, but I'm bored and waiting for Destiny to update and thought I'd let you guys in on how I write songs. Basically just template drums to glue the guitars together, then go through and write the drums, then clean up any weird messups on guitar/bass that become apparent once I do a bunch of accents with the drums. Also then another pass to fix any fills/parts I accidentally repeat too much.

Here's at least the first half done. I may even do vocals this week, it's a shocker.

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/winter2018-124-lunch/s-lPf1g

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

robbob posted:

Are there any tips on helping learn songs by ear or is it basically just practice a bunch? Decided I wanted to try and learn a song this way (mostly because I can't find any tabs online) and I'm having trouble finding that opening note. I feel like I know an ok amount of theory that I might be able to work it out once I find the home base to work from but I'm not sure if there are better ways to figure this out besides trial and error.

If anyone cares this is the song for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auz3ZybYomQ

Can you sing/hum the note? Try that first, see if you can kinda pinpoint it. Obviously it's wavering up and down a bit so that can throw you, but if you can locate it with your voice (doesn't matter if it takes a while or sounds bad) then your ear can do it

Once you can do that, try humming the note and finding it on your guitar. It'll probably be easiest to find the note that's the same pitch, so if it's a C then you're in the right octave and not just playing a lower or higher C - that will probably be harder to recognise as the right note. Just dive in and play a note, listen and see if you're way out (in which case play somewhere else on the neck until it sounds closer) and then try going higher or lower, listening to the note and your voice and trying to wrk out if you're getting closer or further away

When you get close, it might get harder to tell, but that comes with practice - it's like tuning a string to another, y'know? You can try bending too, for more subtle changes (and since this song is bending a note, it might help)

The riff itself is kind of a pentatonic thing, you might find it easier to work that out. Don't worry about chords at first, try and find the root notes - if you can hum it, that's what you're going for! And once you know a few notes, or have a scale pattern that fits what you're playing, it gets easier to work out where to go next

But yeah, practice definitely helps. Practice transcribing (tabs are ok to check how you did, if they're reliable, don't start with them though) and try an ear training app or something. Can't promise you'll get so good that you can just identify stuff immediately, but you'll find it easier to puzzle stuff out or recognise little things

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Any thoughts on Gravity Picks? I was done with V Picks after he posted a spicy meme dunking on rape victims being ugly so I might as well try the closest competitor. I think the Gravity Picks owner used to work for Vinnie too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
JazzIII or bust.

I bought a 24pack of the max grip ones and I kinda finally found a new pick after all these years.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

JazzIII or bust.

I bought a 24pack of the max grip ones and I kinda finally found a new pick after all these years.

I’m on the primetone jazz train at the moment. They’re a little light/hard feeling (not firm because I like that, but... plasticky I guess?) for my general preferences but the tone is great and they glide nicely over the strings.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Live and die by the basic rear end Dunlop gauged nylon 1mm pick. Black as my heart.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

JazzIII or bust.

carbon fiber max grip jazz iii supremacy

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Live and die by the basic rear end Dunlop gauged nylon 1mm pick. Black as my heart.

I use them for bass, but weirdly they're too stiff for me on guitar and i go back to the .88's. Although I am finding that tortex is an acceptable replacement and doesn't wear the pick to razor sharpness and string-chopping.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

carbon fiber max grip jazz iii supremacy

I wish I could find the red ones because the black ones disappear the second they leave your hand.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Spanish Manlove posted:

JazzIII or bust.

I like the 2mm ultex

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Any thoughts on Gravity Picks? I was done with V Picks after he posted a spicy meme dunking on rape victims being ugly so I might as well try the closest competitor. I think the Gravity Picks owner used to work for Vinnie too.

The only pick I use at home these days is a Gravity Sunrise mini 2.5mm. I play at least an hour a day and the first thing I do (which takes about an hour) is a dozen or so scale sequences from like 100-120bpm in sixteenth triplets and 100-150bpm in sixteenths (just to let you know that I'm playing a LOT of notes in that hour) and after around a year and a half you can barely tell that it's not brand new. I'm pretty sure I'll never wear it out.

Tone's subjective and all so I dunno if you'll like it for how/what you play. I sorta prefer the way a standard guitar pick sounds, but I learned to play with Jazz 3s and I can't really hold a normal sized guitar pick very comfortably.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
https://soundcloud.com/jacob-staudt/bossa-delta-final

The version I’m turning in for a grade

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Does anyone have any recommendations of Youtube videos that can assist in kids (age 10) to learn to play Guitar? I'm still learning myself, and my son wants to play with me but I'm still such a newb and dope I don't know what we can do with eachother. I'd like to sit with him and have a video guide through some lessons as him just pulling them up on his own isn't really working for him.

Any ideas? I don't just want to throw him at a teacher as I want to share this journey with him, but am very ill equipped to teach myself. But can help him interpret what another is teaching.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Maybe you could take lessons together.

I'm just spitballing. That might be the worst idea ever.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Justin Guitar, maybe? Could be there's something out there more focused on kids, too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ hey how ya doin, Justin ere

TraderStav posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations of Youtube videos that can assist in kids (age 10) to learn to play Guitar? I'm still learning myself, and my son wants to play with me but I'm still such a newb and dope I don't know what we can do with eachother. I'd like to sit with him and have a video guide through some lessons as him just pulling them up on his own isn't really working for him.

Any ideas? I don't just want to throw him at a teacher as I want to share this journey with him, but am very ill equipped to teach myself. But can help him interpret what another is teaching.

https://www.justinguitar.com/

Justin always gets recommended because he's great - the site is basically a teaching course, so it's structured and broken into different levels if people want to skip ahead. There's video lessons as well as the written stuff, plus exercises and "how to play a full song" stuff. Dude is super nice and makes the effort to explain what's going on and things you need to watch out for, so it's about as close to one-on-one teaching as you can get through a video - and if you're there in person, you can bridge that gap and directly help the kid with his technique

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Sir Justin of Sandercoe is pretty great.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm working through Justin's stuff myself, just not sure how well my kid would engage with him. I would've thought there'd be something more targeted toward the young'ns.

I'll give it a go though!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Basic chords and progressions can go a long way with kids. Fine some songs he likes that are super easy and get him going on there. Work on those and maybe something like A Pentatonic Minor scale and that’s enough to get them having fun relatively quickly so they can work through some of the harder things.

Gnumonic posted:

The only pick I use at home these days is a Gravity Sunrise mini 2.5mm. I play at least an hour a day and the first thing I do (which takes about an hour) is a dozen or so scale sequences from like 100-120bpm in sixteenth triplets and 100-150bpm in sixteenths (just to let you know that I'm playing a LOT of notes in that hour) and after around a year and a half you can barely tell that it's not brand new. I'm pretty sure I'll never wear it out.

Tone's subjective and all so I dunno if you'll like it for how/what you play. I sorta prefer the way a standard guitar pick sounds, but I learned to play with Jazz 3s and I can't really hold a normal sized guitar pick very comfortably.

Thanks! I’ll grab some soon.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

TraderStav posted:

I'm working through Justin's stuff myself, just not sure how well my kid would engage with him. I would've thought there'd be something more targeted toward the young'ns.

I'll give it a go though!

Play Justin's videos at 1.5 or 2x speed so he sounds like a cute chipmunk! That will engage them for sure, plus imagine how hard they will shred having to keep up...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
You should teach him Freezing Moon from Mayhem. That songs super easy and a ten year old would find it really fun.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TraderStav posted:

just fire up the ol final cut pro and replace justin with peppa pig

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

just fire up the ol final cut pro and replace justin with peppa pig

He's 10, would be better to superimpose a Fortnite avatar flossing on repeat.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

What is your av TraderStav? I love the loop.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

What is your av TraderStav? I love the loop.

Maradona at the Argentina / Nigeria match.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6635447/diego-maradona-cocaine-wine-binge-argentina-world-cup-2018/

That link is worth the full read.

While he was going on his binge a fan said that line to him in Spanish.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

He earned it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TraderStav posted:

obviously i'm not a parent

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Do you not have time for lessons? You will get something out of them too was my thinking.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

TraderStav posted:

I think it's ok to go the teacher route. I started by going to lessons at 12 and my dad was very enthusiastic about it all despite not knowing how to play an instrument or in the process of learning or anything. And I think my musical journey is heavily shared with my dad.

I don't think your kid will feel cheated or regretful if you and your son are excited to talk about guitars regardless if he has a teacher.

I mean this isn't the thread to talk about parenting or anything, but there's a lot of ways to be supportive.

Just make sure he learns to set up a Floyd Rose and that fretboard wood is the most crucial element of playing guitar.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Most of the big sites have a free month trial. TrueFire, JamPlay, and GuitarTricks.

I'm a subscriber to JamPlay and I've learned more in three weeks than in the six months of trying to YouTube may way through it. Online courses like these are structured fairly well and they tell you what you should be doing instead of what you think you should be doing. I think TrueFire had one of the easiest bare bones beginner courses I've seen. They quite literally wait for you to pick up your guitar and play along with them in real time. P cool.

Most of them run about $20/mo - Or you can get yearly deals for about $12/mo - or more on stuff like Black Friday stuff.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 5, 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Do you not have time for lessons? You will get something out of them too was my thinking.

Our schedules are pretty poo poo so we'd need a perfect alignment between his sports schedule, my work (I work a lot of later nights), and the scheduler of a teacher. Plus then I'm not sure how the teacher would do two at a time. I'm probably overthinking it though.

Rifter17 posted:

I think it's ok to go the teacher route. I started by going to lessons at 12 and my dad was very enthusiastic about it all despite not knowing how to play an instrument or in the process of learning or anything. And I think my musical journey is heavily shared with my dad.

I don't think your kid will feel cheated or regretful if you and your son are excited to talk about guitars regardless if he has a teacher.

I mean this isn't the thread to talk about parenting or anything, but there's a lot of ways to be supportive.

Just make sure he learns to set up a Floyd Rose and that fretboard wood is the most crucial element of playing guitar.

I don't think he'd be regretful or cheated, but kids definitely get more into things when their parents do it with them, and I want to do it with him too. As I mentioned above, we have some pretty packed schedules and I didn't want to add another thing to burn him out, which I can see happening if he's just getting shuttled off to a teacher in between days he's in Soccer. But if he's with me, he'd view it different. Kids just want to spend time with you, that's the key thing to me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Philthy posted:

Most of the big sites have a free month trial. TrueFire, JamPlay, and GuitarTricks.

I'm a subscriber to JamPlay and I've learned more in three weeks than in the six months of trying to YouTube may way through it. Online courses like these are structured fairly well and they tell you what you should be doing instead of what you think you should be doing. I think TrueFire had one of the easiest bare bones beginner courses I've seen. They quite literally wait for you to pick up your guitar and play along with them in real time. P cool.

Most of them run about $20/mo - Or you can get yearly deals for about $12/mo - or more on stuff like Black Friday stuff.

Neat, I may check these out. For both myself and him. Hadn't considered live online classes but it makes perfect sense.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any other recommendations on online learning platforms? I've got Fender Play but haven't used it as much as I should. I think I'll have to make it a goal to use it for what I can now, but I wouldn't mind checking out a few other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Try those sites I listed above. Each one has about 30 instructors who each in turn have hours and hours and hours of structured learning for everything. They all have trials for 2-4 weeks where you can access everything. That's a LOT of time to dig into stuff and you'll know if it's worthwhile or not pretty quick. If you try one instructor and you're just not feeling it, try another. I went through three before I found one that I really enjoy.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 6, 2018