Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Shibawanko posted:

Chrono Trigger is good but Terranigma is the best game on the snes.
Terranigma and the soul series are overrated. They are at best Zelda clones. Terranigma is probably the worst because its way too long, mostly grinding, and one weapon/move set has to last the entire game. People only like it
because they feel like they discovered something. But I've played all the those games twice and I'm baffled at how boring they are. The only good game in the series is Act Raiser.

CT was like the best jrpg humanly possible for its generation. People only criticize it because it was popular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

unpopular opinion: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was fun and good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

temple posted:

Terranigma and the soul series are overrated. They are at best Zelda clones. Terranigma is probably the worst because its way too long, mostly grinding, and one weapon/move set has to last the entire game. People only like it
because they feel like they discovered something. But I've played all the those games twice and I'm baffled at how boring they are. The only good game in the series is Act Raiser.

CT was like the best jrpg humanly possible for its generation. People only criticize it because it was popular

Soul Series keeps making me double take because I keep thinking Demon's Souls/Dark Souls. Or Soul Caliber.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

temple posted:

sorry but Illusion of Gaia rules

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

!Klams posted:

Just picked up Witcher 3 because everyone's always banging on about how great it is, and, yeah, it's p. good, but Geralt is absolutely unacceptable levels of Mary Sue. EVERY SINGLE conversation is hyper cringeworthy because of him, and it's so bad its definitely never going to be ok. I don't really care about that sort of thing, either, but it's just so horribly OTT I can't really understand how that isn't all anyone ever talks about.

Yeah, Geralt was pretty much the reason I couldn't get more than halfway into the Witcher. What's worse is that he's constantly surrounded by buffoons and muck-scraping peasants whose entire existence is centered around showing you how cool and smart Geralt is. He needed a good Trevelyan, a rival who is as good as him, if not better, to really challenge that character and make him look foolish from time to time. Instead you're just playing as a cat-eyed demigod who really likes card games

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Rutibex posted:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Squashing Machine posted:

Yeah, Geralt was pretty much the reason I couldn't get more than halfway into the Witcher. What's worse is that he's constantly surrounded by buffoons and muck-scraping peasants whose entire existence is centered around showing you how cool and smart Geralt is. He needed a good Trevelyan, a rival who is as good as him, if not better, to really challenge that character and make him look foolish from time to time. Instead you're just playing as a cat-eyed demigod who really likes card games

Man that's just the complete opposite of my take on Geralt. To me his character works specifically because the game world doesn't revolve around him being a gruff badass. His friends are constantly taking the piss out of him for being a self serious dork. And there are plenty of plot points that show it's all just an act from him anyway and deep down he's a softy.

Also the entire plot of Witcher 2 is him getting outmaneuvered by a rogue witcher.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.

is pepsi ok posted:

And there are plenty of plot points that show it's all just an act from him anyway and deep down he's a softy.

Having the same complaint about TW3 I felt like this actually somehow made him more of a Mary Sue. Like, “Well, he may be a complete stone cold badass sexman but also he’s got a heart of pure gold.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I liked the new doom a whole lot but the serious sam games still play more like doom.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Geralt is a pretty massive sperg at times so I'm surprised more goons can't get into him. I think his even and deadpan delivery works pretty well most of the time.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Sardonik posted:

Geralt is a pretty massive sperg at times so I'm surprised more goons can't get into him. I think his even and deadpan delivery works pretty well most of the time.

his voice acting is terrible and sounds like xavier renegade angel

edit: did i make this up or does being a witcher give off pheromones that make women want to gently caress you because that's hilariously bad

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

temple posted:

Terranigma and the soul series are overrated. They are at best Zelda clones.

Act Raiser.

Is this a troll

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pretty sure everyone in the game world is aware of what a goober Geralt is

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

witchers are immune to disease, infertile, and physically a bit larger which I assume applies to the dong as well. This makes them the perfect gigolos

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Geralt's a goober yall. I try not to do this but like yall have a busted perception of what's supposed to be going on in W3 if you think it's a self serious mary sue lmao

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Whorelord posted:

his voice acting is terrible and sounds like xavier renegade angel

edit: did i make this up or does being a witcher give off pheromones that make women want to gently caress you because that's hilariously bad

Thank you, I really dislike Geralt too. Just a plain 2d caricature of a video game hero, pretending to be super cool

Whoops I signed my post

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

unpopular opinion: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was fun and good

:same: It was my first traditional JRPG and just simple and easy enough that I could play it. As sad as it might sound MQ, 12 and 15 are the only games in the series I've genuinely enjoyed.

Good music as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZOQ8sLO-vU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

basic hitler posted:

Geralt's a goober yall. I try not to do this but like yall have a busted perception of what's supposed to be going on in W3 if you think it's a self serious mary sue lmao

he's a bad character

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The Witcher basically gives Geralt the same basic personality hook as Curb Your Enthusiasm. Geralt sees everyone as unreasonable and is repeatedly frustrated when he is swept up in the bullshit of normies. Geralt is a buff fantasy Larry David.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

basic hitler posted:

gamers as a whole are really loving bad at determining intent from aesthetics

i once ran into a dude who got red-faced huffing mad that i pointed out that the protagonist of No More Heroes, a guy that wears lovely anime t-shirts and unironically says "moe~~~" and rides a big loving moped everywhere to do low-paid janitorial work is actually a huge dweeb and everyone else in the game clearly knows it, this poor dude was convinced he was a total rockstar badass because he wears a red coat and sunglasses

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cf: Scott pilgrim

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

food court bailiff posted:

gamers as a whole are really loving bad at determining intent from aesthetics

i once ran into a dude who got red-faced huffing mad that i pointed out that the protagonist of No More Heroes, a guy that wears lovely anime t-shirts and unironically says "moe~~~" and rides a big loving moped everywhere to do low-paid janitorial work is actually a huge dweeb and everyone else in the game clearly knows it, this poor dude was convinced he was a total rockstar badass because he wears a red coat and sunglasses

dreadmojo posted:

Thing can get extra tricky with protagonists that are specifically meant to be dorky audience inserts because being a protagonist they have to get up to entertaining things and be presented in a way people will like, so they can come off basically as nerd fantasies; having all the same dorky hobbies and interests but also getting in spectacular anime swordfights and having cool wrestling moves and such. And to be fair, given the people creating these things are also huge nerds and know it.

That and mocking people for being stuck in extended adolescence and not moving out into suburban homes with salaried jobs doesn't go over so well these days given it turns out that's not actually by choice and probably never was.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I actually just beat the witcher 3 last night for the first time since getting it at launch and at the start of the last mission Yennefer, the love of Geralt's life, dunks on him for being a dweeb in front of a bunch of other sorceresses. I think for a video game the witcher does a pretty good job of depicting character relationships that resemble actual human relationships but I can't really comment on the overall plot because this was a single playthrough spaced out over 3-4 years and I barely had any idea what was going on

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

dreadmojo posted:

The game was really good though?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

romanowski posted:

I actually just beat the witcher 3 last night for the first time since getting it at launch and at the start of the last mission Yennefer, the love of Geralt's life, dunks on him for being a dweeb in front of a bunch of other sorceresses. I think for a video game the witcher does a pretty good job of depicting character relationships that resemble actual human relationships but I can't really comment on the overall plot because this was a single playthrough spaced out over 3-4 years and I barely had any idea what was going on

my dude the dlcs add like 50 more hours of content you're not really done at all

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

basic hitler posted:

my dude the dlcs add like 50 more hours of content you're not really done at all

but my ending said that Geralt and Yennefer retired to a quiet life of leisure and lived happily ever after??

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

DANG IT

MY LAST DAY BEFORE WITCHER RETIREMENT

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

temple posted:

There's one point where you have to grind a bit, before Bloody Mary, otherwise it's not needed at all. I like it because, like in IoG, you get to explore some real world places and it just has really good presentation and story where nearly every other RPG is full of stupid dragon cliches and stuff. The moveset was good and I liked how you really got to use all 4 moves against different enemies.

It definitely has a bunch of flaws and it's weird hybrid game with an out of place level system but then again it has undead mongolian villages, evil russian eugenicists, a cool penguin village and you get to visit the antarctic dry valleys to meet your dead former self from another age. Of all the games I played as a little kid that one stands out the most in my memory.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 5, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Geralt is a strong beautiful pasty white man who don't need no sorceress, and the canon w3 ending is geralt and ciri witchering on the road together

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Another in the “people hated it but I liked it” series is Mafia III. I never played the earlier ones but I thought the setting and whatever would be fun. I was right! Cool characters, nice story-telling gimmick (it’s a documentary about the events of the game, made thirty years later), and decent GTA clone action with a great Vietnam-era soundtrack.

People HATED this game when it came out for the terrible bugs, and the grind. Well, if you buy it now the bugs are gone, and I don’t know if they patched out the grind or I’m just immune but it over pretty quick. Like most open world games there’s a lot to do, but if you just ignore it you can breeze through the story missions pretty quickly.

The grind involves breaking apart the operation of each city-segment’s boss before you can take that boss down. So you have to kill his enforcers, stop his money-making, etc. usually there’s one or two mini story missions and a whole bunch of stuff on the map. If you did all of that you’d lose your mind. In practice, you can do the mini story mission and then take down the boss, if you’re careful to destroy the property and Jill the enforcers while you go. The game didn’t overstay its welcome and had decent gameplay all the way through. A solid bargain purchase.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

poisonpill posted:

Another in the “people hated it but I liked it” series is Mafia III. I never played the earlier ones but I thought the setting and whatever would be fun. I was right! Cool characters, nice story-telling gimmick (it’s a documentary about the events of the game, made thirty years later), and decent GTA clone action with a great Vietnam-era soundtrack.

People HATED this game when it came out for the terrible bugs, and the grind. Well, if you buy it now the bugs are gone, and I don’t know if they patched out the grind or I’m just immune but it over pretty quick. Like most open world games there’s a lot to do, but if you just ignore it you can breeze through the story missions pretty quickly.

The grind involves breaking apart the operation of each city-segment’s boss before you can take that boss down. So you have to kill his enforcers, stop his money-making, etc. usually there’s one or two mini story missions and a whole bunch of stuff on the map. If you did all of that you’d lose your mind. In practice, you can do the mini story mission and then take down the boss, if you’re careful to destroy the property and Jill the enforcers while you go. The game didn’t overstay its welcome and had decent gameplay all the way through. A solid bargain purchase.

I got it from PS plus and I really enjoyed it

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure the reason so many people hated it was because they had to be a black dude. God drat SJWs ruining all my games.
But really, Mafia 3 is an excellent sandbox game and way better than the previous two. Even the DLC was cool and added a bunch of stuff to the main game when you finished them. In one you get to run a weed farm and it's pretty much Drug Wars.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rutibex posted:

except the part where you have to fight the vampires in mu

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

except the part where you have to fight the vampires in mu

That part isn't even hard if you just charge the dark friar shot and stay out of the way a bit.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

Man that's just the complete opposite of my take on Geralt. To me his character works specifically because the game world doesn't revolve around him being a gruff badass. His friends are constantly taking the piss out of him for being a self serious dork. And there are plenty of plot points that show it's all just an act from him anyway and deep down he's a softy.

Also the entire plot of Witcher 2 is him getting outmaneuvered by a rogue witcher.

In TW3 it almost explicitly does though, practically every female character wants to bang you because you're a gruff badass, he's successful at basically everything that he attempts, and the moments where he's not a gruff badass succeeding at everything are usually when he decides to take a break from doing that (e.g. dressing up like a sorceress and calling people on the wizard phone).

The fact of the matter is that Geralt satisfies many of the characteristics of a Mary Sue: he's overly talented and very easily able to learn new talents (he's The Witcherest Witcher), the story nearly always sides with him and portrays people who disagree with him as idiots, bigots, evil, or all 3, and despite so often saying that Ciri is mega-powerful she sure does need Geralt to save her and determine her fate through his actions, resulting in her having almost no agency

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

geralt is just a pawn who is good at killing monsters and lucking into important company and he's basically not once done anything without being strung along by a sorceress or someone else and nobody really needs him

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

basic hitler posted:

geralt is just a pawn who is good at killing monsters and lucking into important company and he's basically not once done anything without being strung along by a sorceress or someone else and nobody really needs him

Ciri's fate is literally determined by how Geralt interacts with her. She explicitly needs him, and so do the countless others that he saves by being a gruff badass

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Well it is a video game, dude.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

*video game reacts to how you play*
Stupid trash for babies!
*watches LPs of Pong on YouTube instead*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

poisonpill posted:

Well it is a video game, dude.

Yes? Tons of video games have Mary Sue characters. Bioware games are full of them

That doesn't make the games bad