Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Saw Toke this weekend and they put on a killer show. For a stoner doom band, their vocalist sounds a shitload like Symbolic era Chuck live. One of the local openers play avant-garde doomy BM and they opened their set with a cover of the FLCL ED and not many people got it but I was stoked :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just back from the Slayer tour with Obituary, Anthrax and Lamb of God, and holy poo poo we got blown away <3

Excellent sound, enthusiastic bands and over the top performance by everyone, Slayer couldn't have given us a better farewell if they tried.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Smirr posted:

Bolt Launcher albums, ranked:

1. Zone of Disorder
2. The IVth Offensive
3. Wizard Master
4. Four Loko
5. Those Twice Shy
6. There Are No Rules In War!
7. Horror Value Might
8. Mercury

ARG, ivth crusade GODDAMMIT :P

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Tias posted:

Just back from the Slayer tour with Obituary, Anthrax and Lamb of God, and holy poo poo we got blown away <3

Excellent sound, enthusiastic bands and over the top performance by everyone, Slayer couldn't have given us a better farewell if they tried.

Who's filling in for Holt filling in for Hanneman? Is he any good?

Tias
May 25, 2008

CornHolio posted:

Who's filling in for Holt filling in for Hanneman? Is he any good?

Phil Demmel of Machine Head, who frankly did an amazing job. I can't remember the last time I saw someone shred like that, and this was even the first show with him in it

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
all the musicians from machine head are better when they arent playing in machine head

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

all the musicians from machine head are better when they arent playing in machine head

That's including Robb Flynn. That first Forbidden album from the late 80s rips.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Going through to see what I missed from this year, and apparently some good power metal slipped through the cracks. Heroes of Forgotten Kingdoms are trying really hard to be Twilight Force without the vocal chops and without a lot of the orchestral bits but still manages to be pretty good PM.
Orion's Reign released an album a month or two back that is actually really loving good and I'm kicking myself for missing.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nazzadan posted:

Heroes of Forgotten Kingdoms are trying really hard to be Twilight Force without the vocal chops and without a lot of the orchestral bits but still manages to be pretty good PM.

....A seven minute spoken word intro with really dodgy pronounciation? loving seriously? No, gently caress these guys, I'm not even going to listen to the actual music.

As for 2018 power metal though, have you heard Thaurorod's latest? It's pretty solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtV-Zyv-kM

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

No I haven't heard that, I'll probably jam it right now. And yeah, that spoken word intro is VERY "we want to be TF"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The new live Accept album is pretty good, despite the obvious lack of Udo.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I should replace my speakers, I can barely hear the guitar.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nordick posted:

....A seven minute spoken word intro with really dodgy pronounciation? loving seriously? No, gently caress these guys, I'm not even going to listen to the actual music.

As for 2018 power metal though, have you heard Thaurorod's latest? It's pretty solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtV-Zyv-kM

...that sure is a Les Mis reference! As an entire song!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Continuing the power metal theme, Rhapsody are back together as of today, kinda. This article explains it pretty well, and the whole situation is pretty funny.

Edit: Just finished jamming Thaurorod's second and third album, really solid stuff.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 4, 2018

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nazzadan posted:

Continuing the power metal theme, Rhapsody are back together as of today, kinda. This article explains it pretty well, and the whole situation is pretty funny.

quote:

LUCA TURILLI (ex-Luca Turilli’s Rhapsody, ex-Rhapsody Reunion, ex-Rhapsody of Fire, ex-Luca Turilli, ex-Luca Turilli’s Dreamquest, ex-Rhapsody) and FABIO LIONE (ex-Rhapsody Reunion, ex-Rhapsody of Fire, ex-Rhapsody)

lmfao

EDIT: Spinal Tapsody

Nordick fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 4, 2018

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

thought this was varg on first sight

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Smirr posted:

thought this was varg on first sight

That’s why I kept laughing about it and had to post it

If it’s not Varg then it’s a meme Varg would share on fb

Tias
May 25, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

What other bands do they play in?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Unironically love the 1-bit black/white Xerox aesthetic.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Flynn and Demmel were both in Vio-lence, which owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuVnmXkTd_w

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh right, they rule!

I've decided I've listened too little to the early bay area thrash in general, that poo poo rips

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tias posted:

Oh right, they rule!

I've decided I've listened too little to the early bay area thrash in general, that poo poo rips

Fix that asap

KozmoNaut posted:

Unironically love the 1-bit black/white Xerox aesthetic.

:same:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
one of my favorite locals bands put out a new album a few months ago and you should listen i like it it a lot well thats my post thanks for reading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKYKgKUZ9Mg

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Upcoming new Obsequiae, Diocletian, and Pissgrave albums mean 2019 is going to be a monster.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I wonder what the new Mystifier will sound like

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So, former Scar Symmetry vocalist Christian Älvestam has a project called Svavelvinter. He writes all the music, and lyrics are by this older dude who writes RPGs for a living. They've now released a concept album based on one of those RPGs. And it's pretty loving great melodeath, not surprisingly very reminiscent of Scar Symmetry but with less keyboard bombast.

https://svavelvinter.bandcamp.com/album/m-rkrets-tid

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Nordick posted:

So, former Scar Symmetry vocalist Christian Älvestam has a project called Svavelvinter. He writes all the music, and lyrics are by this older dude who writes RPGs for a living. They've now released a concept album based on one of those RPGs. And it's pretty loving great melodeath, not surprisingly very reminiscent of Scar Symmetry but with less keyboard bombast.

https://svavelvinter.bandcamp.com/album/m-rkrets-tid

This might be the only melodeath album I'll have bought in well over a decade.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

deadking posted:

Upcoming new Obsequiae

gently caress. Yes.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I finally started listening to Mgła now that they’re on streaming. Exercises in Futility is insanely good. They’re really loving great at songwriting. Puts a lot of similar bands to shame.

Fenrir posted:

gently caress. Yes.

:emptyquote:

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 6, 2018

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

So I finally started listening to Mgła now that they’re on streaming. Exercises in Futility is insanely good. They’re really loving great at songwriting. Puts a lot of similar bands to shame.

:emptyquote:

Check out Kriegsmaschine too if you haven't. Same guys from Mgla but slightly different style. Very cool rhythmic drumming.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The newest Kriegsmaschine blew me away, it's definitely making my top 10 this year.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Funeral Mist posted:

Check out Kriegsmaschine too if you haven't. Same guys from Mgla but slightly different style. Very cool rhythmic drumming.

How have I been a longtime Mgła fan and NOT heard this? Thanks for sharing!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that chapel of disease band reminded me of this which sounds like a slightly less annoying melt banana. i guess low-gain extreme metal is one of the new gimmicks coming down the pike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwb-ApqtH9E

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

So people have been barking at my ear about the new Rotting Christ album. They're saying it rules and that it's one of their best releases.

I'm going to listen it tonight, hopefully

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Pickles posted:

So people have been barking at my ear about the new Rotting Christ album. They're saying it rules and that it's one of their best releases.

I'm going to listen it tonight, hopefully

i bet it's boring as poo poo just like everything they've been doing for umpteen years

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Their last full length did have at least one good song in it iirc

But yeah.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Funeral Mist posted:

poo poo, this is good. You weren't kidding about the drums.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Fenrir posted:

poo poo, this is good. You weren't kidding about the drums.

I gave their 2018 album a spin. I don't believe I've ever heard such intricate drumming ever before in metal, lol.

The MGLA boys are pushing the front lines ahead, this is some true avant garde poo poo right here

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Judas Priest are touring next year. If I see them, Maiden and Ozzy in the same year I think that means I become a DJ on XM 38 The Boneyard.