Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I lower my item level for alliance roulette so I can never get anything above Void Ark. Sometimes just below WoD. LotA has funny wipes to RAARGH and Phlegeton. Circus Tower is the best. World of Darkness sucks and pubbies insist on doing dumb ABC for Cerberus that's not All Bdps Cbelly. Void Ark is super boring but I've never seen a wipe there. Wiping City has both boredom and wipes because Ozma still wrecks folks. And Dun Scaith with randos sucks almost as much as the Ivalice raids so far :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Algid posted:

Some craftable sets have the same models.

i want the diabolic fending set :saddowns:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

LotA, Syrcus, and Void Ark are braindead easy and seriously undertuned these days, so I love getting them in roulette for the easy EXP.

It's WoD and the other two HW raids that I don't like getting. They either take a long time or people don't do the mechanics properly.

ABC - Adds Badds Cadds

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I feel the opposite. LOTA, Circus tower, etc, are so brain dead simple, they're just far too boring and I hate getting them. I much prefer World of Dorkness because it's always a clusterfuck and it's just much more fun to play. Easily the best 2.x raid out of the three as far as raid design goes.

Same reason I prefer Don't Skate over the other HW raids. Diabolos is always a disaster and it never fails to make me laugh.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

LotA is pretty fun these days.

It really is! You can do the /splash emote in the lava! :supaburn:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If I want to be in a raid for 45+ minutes and watch people fail in a variety of hilarious ways, Don poo poo is great. If I just want my roulette done in 15-20 minutes for bookstones (and originally XP), I take Xande's place, tyvm.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The secret LotA trick is to sprint to and pull the Atomos as soon as possible, which will teleport any dawdlers to the leftmost one making it potentially unwinnable.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FeatherFloat posted:

It really is! You can do the /splash emote in the lava! :supaburn:

Go old school! Tank the enemies in the lava.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
When min maxing efficiency of poetics/hour is more important then running something that could be potentially fun, challenging or at least offer some variation.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Choyi posted:

When min maxing efficiency of poetics/hour is more important then running something that could be potentially fun, challenging or at least offer some variation.

Seriously. I groan any time I end up in VA or lower.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Its that time of an expansion cycle that I rejoin!

Is Please Be Careful still where its at for cool kids who like to chill and be cool?

If so, Rachel Maddow needs an invite again :-)

Ghetto SuperCzar fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 6, 2018

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Circus Tower gives you the chance to get Amon's Hat and is the best raid in the game for that reason alone

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jose Valasquez posted:

Circus Tower gives you the chance to get Amon's Hat and is the best raid in the game for that reason alone

Second best hat in the game is Scylla's casting hat because it's so god drat stupid.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

Retainers have chance bring back gear from those raids, including the hat.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Renegret posted:

Second best hat in the game is Scylla's casting hat because it's so god drat stupid.

All of the Scylla caster and healer gear is excellent. Finally have both hats and both robes but still need one of the gloves and both feet (and one of the legs I guess, but it's totally hidden by the robe).

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Renegret posted:

Final Steps sucks balls but at least it's trivial now. I got a group last week that completely ignored the mechanics. One healer activated a single dragon killer, but the cannons were never used and the DPS burnt down the adds themselves. We still cleared the trial with plenty of time left.

If you're not the person offering to grab the second Dragonkiller all so you can stand high above your party and cast judgement by killing them all with a single button press (which I always do because nobody grabs the tethers), then you and I are playing very different versions of Steps of Faith.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like the LotA monk set but even after all this time I'm still missing 3/5 visible pieces. I've never even seen the chest drop, and I saw the pants drop once during the time when they had the greed rolls for everyone active. That alone makes running LotA worth it :suicide:

Steps is boring and I've actually seen a few wipes recently because DPS was anemic and people sitting on the dragonkillers slacked off or didn't know what they were doing. Final steps was a pain in the rear end towards the end of HW because you couldn't outgear it by as much and it had a lot of new people every run. I started taking the penalty after the first three wipes, then started taking off gear to avoid it altogether because it got so bad. Same thing with Menagerie during 4.0. Both are way better now, obviously. Nowadays you can get moonmom wipefests, I guess.

Some of the potentially annoying fights in trials roulette can't be ignored by unequipping gear anyway - mid-level story trials like Ravana or Susano only have level requirements but no item level requirements, but they have a lot of HP for their level so on a bad day they're going to be taking forever, while you raise the 2-3 new guys over and over again, and a lot of your cool new abilities of the expansion are greyed out.

Choyi posted:

This seems to surprise you, but yeah, that's why a lot of people utilizing the roulette with the XP and poetics bonus run the places, to get XP and poetics. Using the slower option for that doesn't automatically mean "more exciting/worth running" because, get this: Fun, challenge and even variation can mean different things and have different value to different people.

Blowing through an instance very fast can be more fun than getting a slow "challenging" raid, especially if the player isn't actually challenged, but a large enough number of their 23 team mates are. Wipes and gently caress-ups can be fun but they can also be annoying and pointless and very repetitive, especially if you keep seeing them.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Fun is me getting enough poetics to advance my HW relic grind, so I can make a glamour around it.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

orcane posted:

This seems to surprise you, but yeah, that's why a lot of people utilizing the roulette with the XP and poetics bonus run the places, to get XP and poetics. Using the slower option for that doesn't automatically mean "more exciting/worth running" because, get this: Fun, challenge and even variation can mean different things and have different value to different people.

Blowing through an instance very fast can be more fun than getting a slow "challenging" raid, especially if the player isn't actually challenged, but a large enough number of their 23 team mates are. Wipes and gently caress-ups can be fun but they can also be annoying and pointless and very repetitive, especially if you keep seeing them.

Oh no I'm not surprised at all, I remember also dropping the dungeon roulettes in HW when all people ran was research facility non stop for poetics so that's all you ever ended up being queued into.
I don't know how the team RNG is nowadays(I don't run roulettes anymore) but I rarely remember having the other 24man raids take 5-10 min more then the lv50 ones, and that leads into my second biggest gripe,;level 50 sync just sucks soo hard for near all classes(not that its that much better at 60 cap for majority either but its not nearly as bad).
Also its not like LoTA doesn't times where atomos takes 10min for people to figure out and same goes for last boss wiping everyone cause no one gets on pads, so often enough they take the same amount of time to run as any of the others.

I just hate the mindset to deliberately lower your ilevel to avoid any higher or difficult content, its a flaw in the system that is being exploited, and for the players who wants actual variety in their queues it ruins the content for them cause sperglords needs to min max poetics gains.
It also slows down the queues for people who actually needs certain trials or raids etc to progress their main and side stories, I feel its something SE needs to have a look at and maybe increase rewards for the higher level content to make it worthwhile for the ones who only care about efficiency.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The last run of Steps I had went on so long that I found out there was a second musical theme. :v:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Choyi posted:

I just hate the mindset to deliberately lower your ilevel to avoid any higher or difficult content, its a flaw in the system that is being exploited, and for the players who wants actual variety in their queues it ruins the content for them cause sperglords needs to min max poetics gains.

I want to do my daily trials DR and I want to do it quickly and cleanly and not drag 7 newbies through Sephirot. That's what mentor roulette is for.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Its that time of an expansion cycle that I rejoin!

Is Please Be Careful still where its at for cool kids who like to chill and be cool?

If so, Rachel Maddow needs an invite again :-)

Goons I am lonely please send halp.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
I think you have to go to the shirogane TPT house and put in an application. I think. It's been a long time since I've went through the process.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Goons I am lonely please send halp.

Do this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823905&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post473446820

Or just apply at the house and hope someone recognizes you :v:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I want to do my daily trials DR and I want to do it quickly and cleanly and not drag 7 newbies through Sephirot. That's what mentor roulette is for.

:thunk:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Choyi posted:

Oh no I'm not surprised at all, I remember also dropping the dungeon roulettes in HW when all people ran was research facility non stop for poetics so that's all you ever ended up being queued into.
I don't know how the team RNG is nowadays(I don't run roulettes anymore) but I rarely remember having the other 24man raids take 5-10 min more then the lv50 ones, and that leads into my second biggest gripe,;level 50 sync just sucks soo hard for near all classes(not that its that much better at 60 cap for majority either but its not nearly as bad).
Also its not like LoTA doesn't times where atomos takes 10min for people to figure out and same goes for last boss wiping everyone cause no one gets on pads, so often enough they take the same amount of time to run as any of the others.

It also slows down the queues for people who actually needs certain trials or raids etc to progress their main and side stories, I feel its something SE needs to have a look at and maybe increase rewards for the higher level content to make it worthwhile for the ones who only care about efficiency.
I'll agree that syncing to 50 sucks. Generally I wish they would ditch the syncing completely, but it's not going to happen - they're either really in love with the idea or their servers can't handle it. Because of that I try to select the job I run roulettes with based on how much they suck if I get a low level place.

The biggest issue with LotA right now is the new auto-teleport mechanism putting people into the leftmost area (the solution is to wait for like 80% of the raid to be in position before you pull), Behemoth King is often near-wipes instead of full wipes and getting back to Phlegeton for another attempt with danger bongos doesn't take much time. ST is almost impossible to gently caress up even with a bad party (if you finally meet one that manages to wipe to Glasya Labolas, that's actually funny and worth it), but a fast one makes it REALLY fast. WoD easily takes 10+ minutes longer than ST because the bosses have more hitpoints, fewer mechanics you can skip and wipes that are more probable and more time consuming. In WoD it takes a few people not paying attention to wipe to either Angry Man, Cerberus or Cloud at any point between 100% and 0%. I've seen too many WoD ~5% wipes and that's a lot of time you just lost to running back and redoing the entire fight. I'll say Dun Scaith is tied with Ivalice raids, although it's probably a tad worse - I've never seen a fast raid there and like the level 70 places, most of the bosses have mechanics you simply can't ignore (so naturally they get ignored by 5-10 people and you wipe).

I mentioned running Final Steps in HW and this is when I had that problem I bolded in the quoted post - people didn't pick the trial because it was efficient or fast, but because it was part of the MSQ. While I don't mind teaching stuff to new people I also wanted to get trials roulette over with, and instead of running the easier 5-10 minute encounters in trials roulette and EXDR on top, you spent 30 minutes+ trying to teach new/bad/both people to beat one fight - for the same bonus reward (base rewards for trials are low enough that they don't matter, though). It also means "I'll log in and do trials and EXDR" could take from 15 minutes to 1 hour unless you took gear off to drop your item level under certain thresholds. I'm aware MMO designers do not value their customers' time at all, but there needs to be some sort of granularity in the rewards at least (since splitting the roulettes further is probably a nightmare for their servers and the UI). As an example, GTA Online eventually added a time-based reward to missions - that led to a new reward/time sweet spot, but the time for it was high enough so a large percentage of missions became viable as an option to reach that sweet spot. Before the change, everyone ran the same 2-3 missions you could blitz in 5 minutes or so for the highest reward.

Overall though, you just can't balance it completely, because people run the roulettes for different goals. It's an MMO with endless gear treadmills and a lot of grinds utilizing tomestones, so people will want to get those tomestones and fast, and the easiest instance the most people have done already is going to be the popular option. Others want to just run an exciting 8-man trial for shits and giggles and I understand not being happy when you always get the same old low-level poo poo, it's how I feel about dungeon roulettes and 90% getting awful, boring ARR places all the time (eg. Totorak for LLDR and WP hard for 50/60DR).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
In case you guys didn't see it - there is a recent interview with YoshiP and Nakagawa about Eureka

Some main takeaways:
-Anemos was far far far more active than they expected. They expected a very very small amount of the playerbase to be interested, but that was greatly exceeded. (Likely due to relic, natch)

quote:

Y: As Mr. Nakagawa said, there were far more adventurers delved into Anemos than expected. We initially expected the Eureka playerbase to be mostly limited to people who are comfortable with the attribute of repetition or MMO players who are active communications. Pagos was basically the content that aimed this narrow “elite” player-base to go deeper. It was our fault to not expect that there would be much more casual players along as well.

-Pagos was built with the idea that Anemos wouldn't be too popular/active within the playerbase. Pagos was almost completed by the time Anemos came out so it was too late for them to completely change it. In this way, Pyros is the true successor to Anemos (and if you've played in Pyros, you can tell)

-The next part of Eureka is the final part and it has a "big surprise" at the end.

quote:

N: ...and we were just told by the scenario team that there’s big surprise at the end of Eureka.

Y: There were some concerning problems about that...but the scenario team really wanted to “make it happen by any means” so I told them “it will be barely possible but OK.”

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I dont know how Eureka being way more popular than expected makes me feel, but it's somewhere between anxiety and terror.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Great, now we'll get more of this poo poo. :what:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly Anemos was better than I thought... but only once you got past level 10 or so and could meaningfully get rewards from following the train. I'm not sure they learned the lesson from this, and pagos needs to be nerfed into the loving ground if they expect a majority of people to get to Pyros or the final zone though. And I'm not really looking forward to Eureka 2.0 in Shadowbreakers, no.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Wait, so they pulled away a huge amount of developer resources this expansion cycle to create something that they expected to have a very niche user base?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Stating they only expected "people who are comfortable with the attribute of repetition" to play it is :laffo: though.

Have they played the rest of their game before?

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
I just learned how to use /gpose today so here's a cool Roe.

If you ain't a Roe, you a Hoe. :colbert:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Thundarr posted:

Wait, so they pulled away a huge amount of developer resources this expansion cycle to create something that they expected to have a very niche user base?

yes, but enough about lord of verminion

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

homeless snail posted:

Please don't gently caress cactuars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_2Cb1raubU

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Ugh, I want to see how Eureka ends by I really don't want to bother with Pagos. I suppose there is always Youtube.

RedRaven
Sep 11, 2001

He's going to SHOCK the world!

Spuzzz posted:

Ugh, I want to see how Eureka ends by I really don't want to bother with Pagos. I suppose there is always Youtube.

I imagine it will pick up a bit between the 4.5 -> 5.0 lull between new content; hopefully they nerf parts of it.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

homeless snail posted:

But at least make L.A. Beast proud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4KPWOUkbw8

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

homeless snail posted:

You don't pay my sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU