Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I've been wanting to get into sculpting. What material do you use? How did you learn to do it? I want to make my own tongue bananas.

Material for sculpting depends on the mini and what you need. For general figures and stuff that needs to be tinkered with, I use Beesputty, which is a fimo-like polyclay that needs to be baked before it sets. This removes the working time restrictions that you usually have with 2-part epoxy, and that definitely makes anatomy easier.

For clothes and equipment, I use a mix of ProCreate/Greenstuff and Sculpy. It makes it a little easier to work with by reducing the springiness. Plus, the automatic hardening means you get different material properties as time goes on, so it gets easier over time.

As far as learning how (ignoring the fact I’m still quite poo poo at it), study anatomy. Sculpt lots of practice figures and label them so you can see your progress. There’s lots of tutorials out there. My wife is an artist, so I’ve been able to borrow a lot of her books - I think Anatomy for Sculptors has been the most useful overall.

. . . I really should start that sculpting thread I’ve been meaning to do for a while.

Either way, process for the tongue-bananas is as follows:
  1. Embed a bit of brass rod into a cork/other sculpting holder.
  2. Add putty to rod, making sure it attaches securely. For Beesputty, may need to use a thin mix of Isopropyl and putty to get that initial layer going.
  3. Roll to vaguely conical shape.
  4. Add lines using sculpting tool to represent panels. Deepen and smooth lines to create the individual panels.
  5. Chop bottom of the umbrella flat. Then, do an upside down V-shaped cut at each line to create a better separation between panels.
  6. Smooth out an area on the top to add the eye, and add a blob of putty. Spread it into a circle to affix it firmly, then shape it into the eyelids.
  7. Add a ball of putty for an eye.
  8. Add mouth. Can either be a little depression with built-up edges, or a toothy jaw.
  9. Make a tongue by flattening some putty, cutting it to the right shape, and adding a groove down the center.
  10. Attach tongue to mouth.
  11. Smooth and polish clay/epoxy/other sculpting material.

That’s the process for ‘em, apart from feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

quote:

The eye spots are meant to represent how in nature, some creatures evolve large eye spots for various purposes.

My idea here is that since Lictors can camouflage, if he were to hide everything but his head, it'd look like some kind of harmless alien squid (or look like the pacman ghost he's based off of) with friendly eyes floating around. Then the prey would get close, and the claws would be uncloaked.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I love it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Silhouette posted:

banurglings
zOMG, why is this not a thing already?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Why not Zoidberg?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I've been wanting to get into sculpting. What material do you use? How did you learn to do it? I want to make my own tongue bananas.

I think it's an umbrella

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
A new “Conversation Starter”

’Eavier Metal posted:

Wip on sara kilmister. I will swear by glazes now. I looked back at the jacket and realized orange and blue was just an eyesore. I went back in and cleaned up all her lines. I tried to fix her skin the best i could although I might go up to finelights. One drop of pigment goes a long way. I also went to my ak book and followed recipes and worked with what I had. I'm happy today that my alchemy sets came in and got to try some new metals. I still need to do red leather and work on the green, but I am keeping the yellow leather. Constructive comments only please.

:gonk:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 5, 2018

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Schadenboner posted:

Strip the mini and thin your goddamn paints!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So I gave my son (9) a couple bags of 15mm Bretons I had lying around and now I'm coming home to find my paints strewn across the kitchen table for the last few days.

I'll post picks of his results later.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Indolent Bastard posted:

Strip the mini and thin your goddamn paints!

He only wishes he could strip the mini

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Schadenboner posted:

Did someone just ship a kick starter or something? Or did the same guy start over?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

He's now applied thick greasepaint to correctly pick out her pores

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Corrode posted:

He's now applied thick greasepaint to correctly pick out her pores

Truly art is an eternal labour.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Ugleb posted:

Did someone just ship a kick starter or something? Or did the same guy start over?

that's the same idiot i've been posting recently.

guess how fast the thread about these got locked?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Frobbe posted:

I’m gonna guess not nearly fast enough, because ‘hams

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Why is it always the general Lee? How many people under 40 have even seen that show?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Frobbe posted:

StuG Jeebus posted:

Why is it always the general Lee? How many people under 40 have even seen that show?

I can construct a scenario where this is innocent (although still, you know, bad): is he a Your-a-peein' and was he suitably horrified at learning of his error?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

StuG Jeebus posted:

to trigger the libs!!!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

StuG Jeebus posted:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:five:

Would've been better if it was Sherman though

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 5, 2018

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

guess how it's been converted to an adult

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

xiw posted:

guess how it's been converted to an adult

A masters degree from a well-respected research university?

:shrug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Reminds me of that Christmas I spent in Arizona (an arid zone) when I was 5 and couldn't stop licking my lips. Bigger boobs tho.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

StuG Jeebus posted:

My sister used to love the poo poo out of it, so General Lee was my first thought.

At least there aren't any poorly painted boobs?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Ugleb posted:

I'm in that dumbass group too, and apparently the dude said that he "repainted the model but didn't strip the old paint off" or something to that effect.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Well, getting a post set up for sculpting thread.

Also, because I am an idiot, I asked a friend what weird Japanese monster I should sculpt next. They said a shirome, which I agreed to try before looking it up.

I’m sure I’ll regret posting this WIP, but I present :nws: Goatshirome :nws:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

It's me. I'm the kum enforcer.

E: gently caress me their ad copy is :stare:

The Official Goddamn Infinity Site posted:

Don?t let their voluptuous bodies and lecherous eyes fool you: the Nazarova twins promise many good things, but pursuing them will get you in worse trouble than it?s worth. They can make a man lose his head, literally! This pair of beautiful harpies, Zamira and Zuleyka, are ambition incarnate in two gorgeous bodies. Walking deadly snares for the male population. They can tug anyone?s strings for their own purposes, which is how they climbed the hierarchy of the Gabqar Kyrgyz mob in the first place: seducing powerful men and kicking rear end along the way. Yes, they may not look it, but they are tough as nails. They had to be, if they wanted to make something of themselves. It?s just what happens if you were raised in a series of biker bars. The mother of the twins had been a victim of the gene bomb planted by the Kazdhan Rudeboys gang during the Red Spring fights, genetically altered so she could only have daughters. This was a pretty bad deal in the macho society of the Tien Shan gangs. As her firstborn, Zamira and Zuleyka had to fight all other kids to defend their little sisters, but as they grew up they realized there was a simpler way to get the upper hand on their opponents, particularly men. Up in Gabqar you are no one unless you have a good pair of wheels and a bunch of tough friends who?ve got your back. The Nazarova twins could?ve easily gotten themselves a bike and some badass thug to look after them. As it turned out, riding pillion for some nameless biker was not their idea of success. The girls had their sights set a lot higher than that. They wanted to call the shots in a gang, in the biggest gang around, just like they call the shots in their dealings with men. So they seduced and kicked rear end until they became the bodyguards and concubines of Radbuk Beg, leader of the Irfaz Satanists. Some say they brought about the guy?s death and the destruction of the Satanists at the hands of Izzat Beg, after he became infatuated with them. And that is how the twins became the favorite concubines of big bad Izzat Beg, the greatest of the Kum chieftains, which was still not enough to sate the appetites of the Nazarova sisters. Izzat was an old dog, and apparently they had some difficulty teaching him new tricks, not like that idiot Radbuk. So, few who knew them well were surprised when Kasym Beg, Izzat?s foster child?a younger, more amenable version of his fierce father?mounted a takeover bid and made them his counsellors and lovers. It was a coup launched by a man?s arm, but planned by two women?s brains. But of course not one soul called them out on it, because whoever did would have had to go a round against them in the arena, and few can take them on their own terms. Now they are always behind Kasym Beg, watching his back on the road and whispering sweet nothings into his ears. Reigning from the shadows, which is how they want it. But now they?re so close to the throne, will these power-hungry twins settle for second fiddle? Or perhaps they still yearn for more?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 6, 2018

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Close the thread, nothing's toppin' that

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Based on the (c) on that, someone in or around 20-loving-15 looked at the copy and went :hmmyes:.

Hams may be the worst, ruining everything but I don't think they're at a loss for company.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anime was a mistake.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I tried reading that twice and it still ain't happening

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

As someone who is fairly tolerant of pinup type stuff... that’s pretty reprehensible.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

NTRabbit posted:

:five:

Would've been better if it was Sherman though

YES.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Schadenboner posted:

Based on the (c) on that, someone in or around 20-loving-15 looked at the copy and went :hmmyes:.
:spain:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

EdsTeioh posted:

I'm in that dumbass group too, and apparently the dude said that he "repainted the model but didn't strip the old paint off" or something to that effect.

Of course he didn't.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Flipswitch posted:

I tried reading that twice and it still ain't happening

:yossame:

I'd rather actually work instead of trying to read it a third time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

:yossame:

I'd rather actually work instead of trying to read it a third time.

These women may be beautiful but they're also dangerous! 25 more sentences saying the same thing but also explicitly stating that they slept their way to their position and that they can't act without a BIG STRONG MAN directing them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PoptartsNinja posted:

These women may be beautiful but they're also dangerous! 25 more sentences saying the same thing but also explicitly stating that they slept their way to their position and that they can't act without a BIG STRONG MAN directing them.

They truly are kum enforcers

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

They truly are kum enforcers

Seriously, it's like the scene from Futurama where Fry is watching the robot movie on the uninhabited planet inhabited only by robots.

"I will eat and devour you with my system of mighty organs!"

Except replace "system of mighty organs" with "vagina"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

the uninhabited planet inhabited only by robots.

The... :raise:

Also the writer absolutely thought he was writing strong female characters.