Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobkatt013 posted:

And if you did you would wonder why anyone would want him back

Certainly it cemented my notion Barry was much better as somebody for Wally to live up to than actually needing Barry around ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

Best DC stuff to read according to Madkal:

New Frontier
Kingdom Come
Batman: Year One
Batman: Cult
Swamp Thing by Moore
Swamp Thing by Soule
Flash by Waid
Green Arrow by Grell
Green Arrow by Lemire
Suicide Squad by Ostrander
Spectre by Ostrander
Catwoman by Brubaker
Gotham Central by Rucka/Brubaker

Oh man.

Brubaker / Cooke catwoman is so loving good. So is brubaker / rucka Gotham central. Too bad about brubaker solo Batman.

Also yeah swamp thing by Moore. And animal man by Morrison.

The cult is bad though.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I think Waid just thought it was time for new villains or something.

He did do a cool job with some lesser known villains in his Flash run, particularly Dr. Alchemy.

As for the Rogues, I remember that when Barry died, the creative team of Blue Devil tried to grab the Rogues for BD, since they'd already been using Trickster as a regular foil for him.

Of course, BD's solo series lasted only one issue after this.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Every Batman comic Jim Aparo ever drew

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Random Stranger posted:

It would be like saying "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" is the only Superman story you need to read; yes, it's extremely good but it also is building on foundational understandings of the characters.
I think most people could pick that up and enjoy it, though there are definitely some parts that are like "Okay, whatever" if you don't know anything about Lana or the Legion.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dawgstar posted:

Certainly it cemented my notion Barry was much better as somebody for Wally to live up to than actually needing Barry around ever again.

See also: Todd, Jason

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for the replies. That's a good list to look through. Has anyone ever read one of those 'A Celebration of 50 Years' things DC put out? Any good?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

Oh man.

Brubaker / Cooke catwoman is so loving good. So is brubaker / rucka Gotham central. Too bad about brubaker solo Batman.

Also yeah swamp thing by Moore. And animal man by Morrison.

The cult is bad though.

Cult is worth it just for the Bernie Wrightson artwork.
Also I enjoyed Brubaker's Batman run but that is because I am a sucker for Deadshot and he featured quite a bit in it. It was an uneven run though by Brubaker's standards and it is kind of weird because you would think Batman would be in Brubaker's noir wheelhouse but it was mostly just action and wonky artwork.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Waid didn't really like the classic Rogues. If you recall he killed them off in Underworld Unleashed and was later ordered to bring them back.

I always forget that Underworld Unleashed was a Waid book.

Didn't Wait also request or give the go-ahead for killing off some Levitz era Legion members (most notably Blok) when Giffen and the Bierbaums had the book and he was editor because he liked the Adventure Comics era Legion better?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think the worst Rogues are probably Murmur, whose power is that he's mute and weird-looking, and Plunder, who owns a gun. Fourth-rate Batman villains, fighting the Flash.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Waid created Savitar and the cult of speed. Cool stuff. John's created Cicada and his cult of speed m not cool stuff.

Both adapted into terribly TV versions.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Was Vampirella ever a good comic? Like, is there a reason the character hasn't been forgotten since the 70's or 60's? Was it always fan wank stuff or was it good horror comics like Tomb of Dracula?

Also, I remember that either Boom or Image rebooted the character and Kate Leth was writing her with an actual costume and not silly string attached to her body. Did it last?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Jeremy whitley did like a 6 issue mad max fury road type arc where she has a gf which was decent if short

Thats the only vamp ive ever read tho cant say much about anything else

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I think the worst Rogues are probably Murmur, whose power is that he's mute and weird-looking, and Plunder, who owns a gun. Fourth-rate Batman villains, fighting the Flash.

"Owns a gun" is like half the Rogues.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love how most of the Rogues were just regular bank robbers who built their fantastical sci-fi weapons in the prison workshop based on magazine articles they read.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vincent posted:

Was Vampirella ever a good comic? Like, is there a reason the character hasn't been forgotten since the 70's or 60's? Was it always fan wank stuff or was it good horror comics like Tomb of Dracula?

Also, I remember that either Boom or Image rebooted the character and Kate Leth was writing her with an actual costume and not silly string attached to her body. Did it last?

From occasional poking at it, my experience is no. It's a pretty lovely comic that's an excuse for some pretty nice looking pictures of a sexy woman wearing almost nothing. You pretty much get all of the benefit of reading a Vampirella comic by looking at the covers.

Now that said, there are occasions where someone has gone, "Holy poo poo! This current Vampirella is actually good now!" and I never bothered following up on them so I'll concede that there may be points where there are good Vampirella comics. But I really don't want to try and find them.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey now. Murmur has a knife too. (Not a superpowered knife like TV Cicada, just a knife.)

Murmur and Plunder were both Johns creations, of course.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I love how most of the Rogues were just regular bank robbers who built their fantastical sci-fi weapons in the prison workshop based on magazine articles they read.
The best origin of any rogue is Mr. Element/Dr. Alchemy. In his first appearance as Mr. Element, he invented a new element that can manipulate inertia. He uses his fantastic genius to rob banks.

When he returns as Dr. Alchemy, he's discovered the Philosopher's Stone, which can transmute any element into any other. He decides to use its fantastic powers to get rich...by robbing banks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

From occasional poking at it, my experience is no. It's a pretty lovely comic that's an excuse for some pretty nice looking pictures of a sexy woman wearing almost nothing. You pretty much get all of the benefit of reading a Vampirella comic by looking at the covers.

And not unlike how water always flows downhill, the character resists changes to her costume mightily. Like flexing a muscle, she can only stay out of the collared extended thong and knee-high boots for so long, so don't let the fact she had a costume change fool you.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

The best origin of any rogue is Mr. Element/Dr. Alchemy. In his first appearance as Mr. Element, he invented a new element that can manipulate inertia. He uses his fantastic genius to rob banks.

When he returns as Dr. Alchemy, he's discovered the Philosopher's Stone, which can transmute any element into any other. He decides to use its fantastic powers to get rich...by robbing banks.

I like how Geoff Johns adjusted Captain Cold's origin story so he was now all about how he was COLD-hearted because his ICE COLD father would COLD-bloodedly beat him so now wanted the rest of the world to feel as COLD and FROZEN as he did in his own COLD heart, and also when he was a boy the only place he ever felt safe was in his uncle's ICE CREAM TRUCK.

(I'm only slagging, because I do enjoy Johns's take on the classic Rogues, but I think his Captain Cold is the old "Johnsian literalism" at its finest. :D)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like how Geoff Johns adjusted Captain Cold's origin story so he was now all about how he was COLD-hearted because his ICE COLD father would COLD-bloodedly beat him so now wanted the rest of the world to feel as COLD and FROZEN as he did in his own COLD heart, and also when he was a boy the only place he ever felt safe was in his uncle's ICE CREAM TRUCK.

I liked him turning Mirror Master is now a cocaine addict because people snort coke off mirrors.

(I guess the alternative would be to turn him into a narcissist. Or maybe he could be a slow-moving deep thinker who has to reflect on everything!)

But for me, the perfect example of Johnsian literalism will always be Power Girl explaining that her costume's tit window is symbolic of something missing in her conception of herself.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Alan Moore and Grant Morrison w/ Mark Millar have written Vampirella.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Vincent posted:

The original 1969 series has a lot of very cool stories early on, written by guys like Archie Goodwin and Steve Englehart. They’re cool, often tongue in cheek gothic horror jams where Vampirella teams up with a boozehound stage magician, a handsome young vampire hunter and his blind psychic father who never quite trusts her. The latter two are, of course, Van Helsings.

The real draw of these early stories though is the absolutely gorgeous art by Jose Gonzalez, who not only draws beautiful women, but good everything else, including amusing caricature when needed. He’s definitely of the EC school style, and there’s some overlap in style with Jack Davis.

Comixology has some collections of the early stuff. Definitely worth checking out, especially if you catch it on sale.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Something nobody else will probably say for DC recommendations, but I highly recommend, is Adam Strange by Andy Diggle and Pasqual Ferry. Adam Strange is a character I love that generally gets involved in stories I hate but this mini series is fun and has some beautiful art.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Something nobody else will probably say for DC recommendations, but I highly recommend, is Adam Strange by Andy Diggle and Pasqual Ferry. Adam Strange is a character I love that generally gets involved in stories I hate but this mini series is fun and has some beautiful art.

I haven't read the mini but I agree with you about Strange. I love the concept of earth spaceman in the same vein as Flash Gordon, and really wish DC would do something with the concept. The last comic I read with the character was Lemire Justice League United but he tried to reimagine the character and it really didn't work well. Give some awesome earth man gets transported to distant planet where alien princess falls in love with him any day of the week though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really wish Adam Strange was just in his own universe. I've never really liked much of any of his interactions with the rest of DC Universe. Especially all the majority of the Rann/Thanagar poo poo. The less Hawk people the better.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

I haven't read the mini but I agree with you about Strange. I love the concept of earth spaceman in the same vein as Flash Gordon, and really wish DC would do something with the concept. The last comic I read with the character was Lemire Justice League United but he tried to reimagine the character and it really didn't work well. Give some awesome earth man gets transported to distant planet where alien princess falls in love with him any day of the week though.

JLU's much better than his appearance in Bendis' Superman where he's comic relief in his appearances thus far.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Fantastic book.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

For some reason I got this mixed up with the not so good Adam Strange prestige format series from the early 90's that tried to grim and gritty Adam Strange up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

I really wish Adam Strange was just in his own universe. I've never really liked much of any of his interactions with the rest of DC Universe. Especially all the majority of the Rann/Thanagar poo poo. The less Hawk people the better.

Even swamp thing?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

That's largely how I feel about Batman.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I always forget that Underworld Unleashed was a Waid book.

Didn't Wait also request or give the go-ahead for killing off some Levitz era Legion members (most notably Blok) when Giffen and the Bierbaums had the book and he was editor because he liked the Adventure Comics era Legion better?

Apparently not in Blok's case. They were originally going to fridge Element Lad's girlfriend and he was her substitute because he was kind of a background character that they didn't really have plans for.

https://itsokimasenator.livejournal.com/1263.html#cutid1

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

That's largely how I feel about Batman.

Is there a hot take based No Prize that I'm unaware of? I'd like to enter the competition.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I can see that. But if you're reading Batman and asking questions like "Couldn't Batman call the Flash and ask him to defeat every criminal in Arkham singlehandedly in five minutes?" that's more of an issue with the Flash.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah the DC universe benefits from having a Batman in it, but Batman stories are generally made worse by being in the DC universe.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If it makes anyone feel better, they have had stories where Superman or somebody will come by and try to clean up Gotham City but it obstinately resists all their efforts. I think the notion is only Batman has the patience/tolerance for it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

If it makes anyone feel better, they have had stories where Superman or somebody will come by and try to clean up Gotham City but it obstinately resists all their efforts. I think the notion is only Batman has the patience/tolerance for it.

That's worse if anything. Don't draw attention to the inherent contradictions of your world.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dawgstar posted:

That's always worse. Superhero universes just ask you to look past that. Superman doesn't solve all of Green Arrow's problems in every issue of Green Arrow, because those stories would not be good or fun. The Flash doesn't spend 100% of his time running at light speed and solving all crime in Gotham because that would suck. It's weird to single out Batman as suffering from this more than anybody else. All the Spider-Man games have some line about the Fantastic 4 being in another dimension or some poo poo and it's just....you don't have to do that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

That's worse if anything. Don't draw attention to the inherent contradictions of your world.
Speaking of which: any story that deals with Batman's moral code against killing results in a long, loud, extremely wet fart of a conclusion. He doesn't kill the Joker because the Joker is valuable intellectual property, just don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Speaking of which: any story that deals with Batman's moral code against killing results in a long, loud, extremely wet fart of a conclusion. He doesn't kill the Joker because the Joker is valuable intellectual property, just don't worry about it.

Yeah that well's bone dry and yet they keep going back to it again and again thinking they're clever.

SonicRulez posted:

That's always worse. Superhero universes just ask you to look past that. Superman doesn't solve all of Green Arrow's problems in every issue of Green Arrow, because those stories would not be good or fun. The Flash doesn't spend 100% of his time running at light speed and solving all crime in Gotham because that would suck. It's weird to single out Batman as suffering from this more than anybody else. All the Spider-Man games have some line about the Fantastic 4 being in another dimension or some poo poo and it's just....you don't have to do that.

If you don't feel a slight disconnect between a JLA story where Batman single-handedly takes out hundreds of parademons and a Shadow of the Bat story where he's having trouble with Two-face, I don't know what to tell you.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 7, 2018