Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/KillGoldfish/status/1068715332137697280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
arse technical's ron amadeo completely fails to understand the point of a device, falls back on benchmark bullshit because how else do you review andriod?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

why is he so allergic to just saying "don't buy this piece of poo poo"

quote:

Wait for the inevitable fire sale

The Palm phone is a terrible device for $350. It's outrageously expensive for what it offers, and if you're looking for a good smartphone at this price, buy something from Nokia. If you're looking for portability, a smartwatch is more portable and, with the addition of NFC and fitness tracking, more functional than the Palm phone. Combine this with the worst battery life of any Android phone we've ever tested, and the Palm phone thoroughly, completely fails across the board at any use case you could possibly want to throw at it.

I don't hate the Palm phone, though. This super-tiny smartphone is unquestionably fun to have around. I never get tired of showing it to people and seeing their reactions. It's cute. It makes people laugh. It's just not useful, and no one should spend this much money on it.

The best-case scenario (and maybe most likely scenario?) for wannabe users of the Palm phone is that it's a complete sales disaster. Verizon, loaded with stock from its failed tiny-smartphone experiment, starts with the fire sales, and in a few months, maybe you'll be able to pick this thing up as a stupid toy for a drastically reduced price. That's basically what the Palm phone boils down to. It's a pointless toy, with no practical usage other than as a comedy prop.

it's useless, has terrible battery live, and fails across the board, so you should..... wait for a price drop???

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
because he's a tech press product reviewer and he's not allowed to say that unless the product literally cuts your dick off and gives you cancer

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tbf the product doesnt have a point

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

as sold, no. in theory a minimalist smartphone that's not clownshoe sized could have a market, but tying it to another smartphone as a companion device is just dumb as hell and of course no one has a reason to buy it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hey, is your phone now too comically large to be convenient? buy also this usable phone for when you just need a phone and to see text messages!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

why is he so allergic to just saying "don't buy this piece of poo poo"

it's useless, has terrible battery live, and fails across the board, so you should..... wait for a price drop???

sponsorship is a hell of a drug.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I was like 12 years old I had a subscription to MacAddict and would read every issue cover to cover over and over again. I told my mom once that when I grew up, I wanted to write for a tech publication like that, and she literally laughed in my face

A good mom as it turns out

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

has anyone photographed the new palm phone (tiny, comical 3.3 inch screen) next to an early gen iphone (revolutionary, enormous 3.5 inch screen)?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Father Jack posted:

has anyone photographed the new palm phone (tiny, comical 3.3 inch screen) next to an early gen iphone (revolutionary, enormous 3.5 inch screen)?
it's quite a bit smaller, though the screen is about the same height, just a lot narrower.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Endless Mike posted:

it's quite a bit smaller, though the screen is about the same height, just a lot narrower.

merciful god that abomination on the right, what were they thinking?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/globeandmail/status/1070436671517208576

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

one of my students was showing me a picture on his new sarnsung or whatever and i noticed that it has a very skinny (maybe 3mm) full-width bezel along the top of the screen, which still contains the cameras and sensors. it looks like 1000% better than any notch.

pretty loving amazing that androids are now not just matching but beating apple's industrial design

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
100% of samsung phones also have a full height 1mm wide pink line running through the display

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

apple design in 2 years

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

one of my students was showing me a picture on his new sarnsung or whatever and i noticed that it has a very skinny (maybe 3mm) full-width bezel along the top of the screen, which still contains the cameras and sensors. it looks like 1000% better than any notch.

pretty loving amazing that androids are now not just matching but beating apple's industrial design

yeah not anymore now they just have a hole in the display

thats impressive statusbar soup by any measure

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

getting to hate the rounded corners, seemingly with increasing radii, more than the notch on each new design

dropping a few pixels is not a huge deal, but i do still prefer a mostly rectangular screen

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

lol that’s so poorly photoshopped

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i seriously hope samsung can muster more attention to detail than whoever slapped this together

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

carry on then posted:

i seriously hope samsung can muster more attention to detail than whoever slapped this together

it's from here, renders courtesy of onleaks

https://www.91mobiles.com/hub/samsung-galaxy-s10-plus-5k-renders-360-degree-video-exclusive/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

google is currently going buck wild with corner radii

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
google is shutting down its beloved chat app allo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

same as it ever was

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

beloved?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

is allo the one that could only be signed in on one device at a time?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I shall say dees only wance!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

is allo the one that could only be signed in on one device at a time?

one mobile device. i *think* they had made a way to use it in a browser via a relay similar to whatsapp

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Plank Walker posted:

alol

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

qirex posted:

when will they fit a notch into it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Zamujasa posted:

when will they fit a notch into it

have to make it a lot wider and fill it with a bunch of stale candy

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

qirex posted:

between this and rounded corners in screens i think we're seeing the start of a new dumb design trend overall

another 2 years and in windows 10 applications will have rounded corners

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

Although Google has stopped short of explicitly confirming this, it seems most likely that Android Messages — powered by RCS ‘Chat’ — will be the true spiritual successor to both Allo and the chat functionality of Hangouts. And Google Duo will likely serve the video calling use cases for consumers. ‘Hangouts classic’ as it’s now called, will be “upgraded” to Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet, although it appears those apps will still primarily be aimed at enterprise use cases.

ah yes, let me just download all four google branded messaging apps onto my telephone and remember who has said what in each

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In case you didn't have enough options for running spyware from ambivalently hostile foreign powers, there is now a cheap "high end" Russian Android phone I'm sure we'll be hearing all about people importing for a "Google-free" experience.

https://yandex.com/company/press_center/press_releases/2018/2018-12-05

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

more like goobye

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ovwa

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m in an Uber, and the driver has a Samsung of some kind. The GPS display just turned into a full screen ad he had to interact with to go back to the normal display.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

otoh it would be a sad thing to see an uber driver with an iphone. one can at least hope that he'll dig his way out of whatever has trapped him in that lovely job by not making too extravagant purchases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

otoh it would be a sad thing to see an uber driver with an iphone. one can at least hope that he'll dig his way out of whatever has trapped him in that lovely job by not making too extravagant purchases

can you actually make money ubering? i mean with gas and maintenance is it a net positive?