Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
It’s unnecessary. Assuming the security agencies are acting in good faith, there will already be conduct other than a Whatsapp conversation prompting the investigation.

Tell ASIO to stop looking at their phones and do some actual bloody work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I am pretty sure there are dumb and poo poo reasons but reasons nonetheless why they did this below the surface of 'labors gonna keep u safe Australian public unlike that MORRISON JERK' and we will just never know because there's too many possibilities and influence from ASIO / police / whomever in briefings that will never make the light of day.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Is there any chance of this getting repealed? I'm guessing not.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 7, 2018

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Course not

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

AbortRetryFail posted:

If they actually managed to balls up the implementation of the law to the point where a major tech company like Apple or Netflix pulls out of Australia altogether, maybe.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

JBP posted:

What's the bar to clear to use the powers? Like what on earth could spying on unions and opposition politicians yield in a national security sense? The docks example is a good one, but you're not going to be able to arrest people for planning a strike under natsec, you'd have to take them under industrial law.

Most of it was a tongue in cheek answer mate.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

AbortRetryFail posted:

I am pretty sure there are dumb and poo poo reasons but reasons nonetheless why they did this below the surface of 'labors gonna keep u safe Australian public unlike that MORRISON JERK' and we will just never know because there's too many possibilities and influence from ASIO / police / whomever in briefings that will never make the light of day.

Maybe Bill is worried that interfering with a US spying effort will result in another democratically elected labor government being overthrown in a CIA coup.

I don't believe for a second there is a reasonable asio/police justification for why it would have to be passed before Christmas. Does anyone know whether they made any changes to stop these problems:

quote:

But here's the thing with this bill - it isn't limited to terrorism or major crime. Any crime with a federal implication that is subject to two or more years in jail falls under the bill's scope.

That includes things like downloading movies illegally, or even whistleblowers who shed light on dodgy practices.

"We don't want to create law that has a threshold that is so low that we lose our privacy unreasonably and we have encrypted data entered into when, in the court's view for example, it might be a step too far," President of the Law Council of Australia, Morry Bailes, said.

Tech companies are worried about the scope of the bill, too.
Under the changes, people who may have information in relation to a crime can be surveilled. So even if you're not the suspect, all of your devices - phones, smart watches, laptops, electronic assistants - can be bugged.

Apple made a submission to the parliamentary inquiry looking into these laws saying it was unclear how far tech companies would be forced to go.

"The bill could allow the government to order the makers of smart home speakers to install persistent eavesdropping capabilities into a person's home, require a provider to monitor the health data of its customers for indications of drug use, or require the development of a tool that can unlock a particular device regardless of whether such tool could be used to unlock every other user's device as well," it said.

We can't look to similar countries to see how they've dealt with this in law either, because this legislation is a world first.

"Unlike the US or the UK we don't have a legally-enshrined bill of rights that would stop the government from doing this to our communications," 

Labor has to make a stand against Dutton and Porter controlling the national security narrative. We've already reached unprecedented erosion of civil rights territory with no successful terror plot to justify the authoritarian hardon and it won't stop when they are out of power. Dutton is still going to go to the media and say "as a national security expert I know better than anyone that we need new national security amendment X and labor refusing to consider it just proves how much more at risk we are now that they are in power".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Knobb Manwich posted:

Most of it was a tongue in cheek answer mate.

Most of them are but I want to know the bar to clear.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Trapezium Dave posted:

If they actually managed to balls up the implementation of the law to the point where a major tech company like Apple or Netflix pulls out of Australia altogether, maybe.

Will be all worth it if it somehow makes Bitcoin illegal.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

If Shorten and the ALP think that a Coalition PR campaign over loving Christmas and holidays is going to turn the electorate against them, they are just as stupid as the CPG dopes who are telling him they're clever.

If the Coalition try anything this summer, it will just remind the electorate why they hate them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

AbortRetryFail posted:

The Coalition has promised to consider any of the amendments it wants to consider.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

ewe2 posted:

If Shorten and the ALP think that a Coalition PR campaign over loving Christmas and holidays is going to turn the electorate against them, they are just as stupid as the CPG dopes who are telling him they're clever.

If the Coalition try anything this summer, it will just remind the electorate why they hate them.

And they're going to go ahead with whatever they were threatening to do anyway, because bipartisanship is dead and they are desperate to find a way to steal the election.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

And they're going to go ahead with whatever they were threatening to do anyway, because bipartisanship is dead and they are desperate to find a way to steal the election.

Yep, that's a certainty. Listening to the Partyroom Podcast and its hilarious how CPG journalists can discuss the politics of the religious rights bill without once asking the question why it exists and why does the electorate need it foisted upon them (which goes for everything else this last week).

Nevertheless I'm expecting one or two more Libs to hit the crossbenches by March, because by February they'll know there's no way to win by staying.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Holy moley you loving idiots are lucky that I’ve been probated since this time yesterday

Watching this entire thread melt down with their panties in a twist over Shorten outplaying the liberals yet again is testament to three things:
1. why so many of you mongoloids are devout greens supporters (despite all of the well documented and ongoing sexual abuse)
2. Why the greens will always be on 10%
3. Why the fabled “goon party” that’s jokingly bandied around in here could never ever happen

This is politics on a federal level you imbeciles. PM Zingers hasn’t spent the last half decade chipping away at the liberal party to let a single piece of easily repealed bad legislation trip him up at the post

Here’s a couple of potential headlines over the next 8 weeks until the end of the Christmas break:
“Shorten and Labor refuse to pass national anti-terrorist laws”
“Labor passes anti-terrorist laws despite Morrison’s games”

Spoiler alert: the end game is a ridiculous majority for a stable labor government, not to “stick up for what’s right” on reffos and tech security (two issues that are massively important to greens voters and also completely irrelevant to most of the electorate... hence the perpetual 10%)

The blindingly obvious goal of shorten and the ALP is to form government after literally years of playing politics (in politics) and THEEEEEEEEN show your hand and pass the legislation you actually want to pass

Jesus Christ you guys are dumb. I wish we could all get a poker game going because sheeeeeeeesh it would be some easy money. Here’s the headlines about yesterday from Murdoch of all places. What do you think they would have been otherwise?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

:same:

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

I for one feel suitably chastised by the very smart poster that no-one knows

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

monkeu posted:

Holy moley you loving idiots are lucky that I’ve been probated since this time yesterday

Watching this entire thread melt down with their panties in a twist over Shorten outplaying the liberals yet again is testament to three things:
1. why so many of you mongoloids are devout greens supporters (despite all of the well documented and ongoing sexual abuse)
3. Why the fabled “goon party” that’s jokingly bandied around in here could never ever happen

This is politics on a federal level you imbeciles. PM Zingers hasn’t spent the last half decade chipping away at the liberal party to let a single piece of easily repealed bad legislation trip him up at the post

Here’s a couple of potential headlines over the next 8 weeks until the end of the Christmas break:

Spoiler alert: the end game is a ridiculous majority for a stable labor government, not to “stick up for what’s right” on reffos and tech security (two issues that are massively important to greens voters and also completely irrelevant to most of the electorate... hence the perpetual 10%)

The blindingly obvious goal of shorten and the ALP is to form government after literally years of playing politics (in politics) and THEEEEEEEEN show your hand and pass the legislation you actually want to pass

Jesus Christ you guys are dumb. I wish we could all get a poker game going because sheeeeeeeesh it would be some easy money. Here’s the headlines about yesterday from Murdoch of all places. What do you think they would have been otherwise?

i would feel even luckier if you got probated again and for a longer period

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I did actually agree with this bit:

monkeu posted:

e: goddammit jonah

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

monkeu posted:

:hmmyes:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

monkeu posted:

V-van Badham?!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1yUsdhlHaQ

the internet remembers

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
loving the tech industry to own the libs

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/asu_nsw_act/status/1070864010654900227

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

What the gently caress

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Dura_Ace/status/1070892605641187328

https://twitter.com/asu_nsw_act/status/1070896350588362752

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 7, 2018

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

monkeu posted:

why so many of you mongoloids are devout greens supporters (despite all of the well documented and ongoing sexual abuse)

Excuse me sir I'll have you know I'm a devout supporter of the Online Direct Democracy Party

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Cpt Soban posted:

Excuse me sir I'll have you know I'm a devout supporter of the Online Direct Democracy Party

sexual assault via the blockchain?

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

GoldStandardConure posted:

sexual assault via the blockchain?

Relying on reddit users to vote on important Government legislation :science:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
When I worked in retail they brought people from head office to see what it’s like in pleb shoes for a day with no notion of how condescending it was.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

monkeu posted:

Oh ok, so in the meantime let's just poo poo all over IT Security, cause most major organisations and tertiary institutions to collectively poo poo their pants because of the god awful wording of this loving dumb as poo poo completely IT illiterate legislation which will do damage to both the IT industry in Australia and make Australia the laughing stock of the IT world (as if that needs any more help than what's happened in the past) BECAUSE BILL IS PLAYING 12th DIMENSION POKER WITH A loving USELESS BRAINDEAD GOVERNMENT AND THE SHITRAG THAT SUPPORTS IT

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Nice meltdown

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Zenithe posted:

Nice meltdown

:tipshat:

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

monkeu posted:

The last time the ALP small targeted itself into power and thheeeennnn showed it's hand it got spanked into humiliation by this dumb poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs7qE2FQLxw
which led to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRaLlJJXWIU
And then, not sure how you missed what happened next but spoiler alert: just for the perception of going against an election position we got this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40EWX6TXgH4

So far it seems the lesson they've learnt is *checks notes* don't do any progressive policy. I'd really like to be wrong on that, they might even turn out to be a great reforming ALP government. Recent form suggests otherwise.

Meanwhile, the actual policies being put into effect loving suck for people. Despite their short term political value for the news.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Am I dreaming or havent we already had cops busted using the last lot of new powers granted to them to spy on their ex's?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

:capitalism:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Jonah Galtberg posted:

i would feel even luckier if you got probated again and for a longer period

noice

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

BTW Barnaby Joyce and other coalition members are supporting the ACTU’s push against the casualisation of the workforce

But only for miners lol

https://www.smartcompany.com.au/business-advice/politics/committee-backs-move-stop-full-time-employees-replaced-casuals/

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/abcsydney/status/1070894818321096706

She'll probably hang in.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I thought they had when she said she wasn't going to run at the next election.

Didn't Labor have another candidate lined up to take her spot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

get in the bin