Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

singateco posted:

I can't even buy the new Supergiant game because they didn't open Epic store in my country. cowards

I didn't even know they had a new game :rip:

Hopefully it'll be good.

Im still not gunna buy anything fromt he Epic store, and I bet a lot of people won't. But hey it makes good sense, milk what you can from loyal nerds who want it asap at 88/12, then release on Steam in a few months down the road to double-dip on some who also want it on steam and everyone else who refuses to use yet another store launcher thingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

no overlay, so i'm gonna say for sure no client controller remapping

why do competitors always have to fart rear end. why can't someone come out with a good client

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

They're leaning extremely heavy into "You use Unreal engine, you are exclusive to our store" going by the videogame awards. At least for indies.

this would be quite the way to dumpster what a good thing unreal 4 is right now. 5% royalties and no licensing fees are a pretty incredible deal for what the engine offers. It would be dumb as poo poo if they required unreal 4 games to be exclusive to their store, but I doubt that will happen because there'd be no analogue for that requirement for console releases, so it'd probably create more bad will than it would be worth.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
You know, I think I'm covered for Launchers right now. Discord's master launcher launcher thing is pretty good for reminding me what I have installed.

Palpek posted:

Look up product placement in FFXV.

I guess I'm putting that back on the wishlist.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Note that Valve’s cut is only of sales through their storefront. If I understand correctly, indie devs can create a virtually unlimited number of free keys to sell via GMG, Humble etc and their own store front. Does Epic offer that?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

Who ran a site attacking GG targets called "Pixel Gate" that started right as GG was becoming a thing. He's a lying sack of poo poo.
I heard somewhere that he was hired by GOG because of his coverage of some E3, which was full of gamergate-rear end poo poo, too. As such I am assuming GOG got exactly what they wanted with him up until they started getting bad press because of it.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Some indies are pulling their Steam pages, like Satisfactory. Maybe they'll explain why. People are already accusing Epic of moneyhatting. I'm not quite sure why people are complaining, other than gamers never missing an opportunity to be dumb, outraged, and entitled about something.

Orv
May 4, 2011

grrarg posted:

Some indies are pulling their Steam pages, like Satisfactory. Maybe they'll explain why. People are already accusing Epic of moneyhatting. I'm not quite sure why people are complaining, other than gamers never missing an opportunity to be dumb, outraged, and entitled about something.

The thing I keep seeing is "Oh no predatory microtransaction policies" as though kids haven't been stealing their parents credit cards for Fortnite for the past two years.

Even as someone who would rather not have nine hundred different clients I will absolutely admit that as Valve spirals into an endless abyss of idiotic decisions and insane policies I am happy to entertain the ability for someone else to make them make changes because of losing money.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Digirat posted:

this would be quite the way to dumpster what a good thing unreal 4 is right now. 5% royalties and no licensing fees are a pretty incredible deal for what the engine offers. It would be dumb as poo poo if they required unreal 4 games to be exclusive to their store, but I doubt that will happen because there'd be no analogue for that requirement for console releases, so it'd probably create more bad will than it would be worth.
They're not stopping anyone from selling UE4 games on other stores, they just waive the 5% royalty cut if you sell it in the Epic store.

Doesn't seem that scummy.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Epic definitely has the user base to shake things up.

Maybe.

Maybe Steam will fight back by curating what gets put on their storefront so that indies don't have to fight garbage for exposure. :yayclod:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

once epic's store has more than 20 games on it, the advantage of being on there will diminish greatly, the devs who are on there now are clearly taking advantage of being the first and getting that front page coverage for at least a couple of months

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Curation won’t help much - there are still so many good/average indies being released that the market is saturated.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also not having the infrastructure/back end design to handle having 2000 games is going to hurt indies if it takes Epic too long to, say, integrate wishlists, search, categories, etc.

the client/store is more minimalist than the switch & switch eshop currently

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 7, 2018

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

there is now a thread to discuss the Epic game launcher & buying software, so you don't have to discuss it in the steam bootstrapper client thread.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

ymgve posted:

Curation won’t help much - there are still so many good/average indies being released that the market is saturated.
Too many decent to good games and not enough time to play them all, yup.

And I wonder how many of the people demanding more curation now complained about too much 10 years ago when the only way for indies to get on Steam was to know someone at Valve.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

grrarg posted:

Too many decent to good games and not enough time to play them all, yup.

And I wonder how many of the people demanding more curation now complained about too much 10 years ago when the only way for indies to get on Steam was to know someone at Valve.
yeah this.

I don't think curation is necessarily the problem and comes up with its own problems. In addition to just amazing games period, there a ton of really neat niche gimmicky games that are interesting and often fun experiments for what they are. An easy way to improve the storefront is just filter out anime, virtual novel, voxel, zombies, maybe crafting, and other stuff you know are just bad. The real issue is yeah just way too many good and fun games and not enough time. I hear about plenty of good games here alone, and others just taking a look at upcoming releases every so often (with certain tags filtered).

Sure, Valve could and should probably do better but everything has it's own problems. The initial Steam system where your game had to be attached to a publisher was largely hated; their solution was greenlight where people could vote it to come on steam largely criticized; and just outright letting any game go on with just a store fee of like $100 is criticized. They've tried Discovery Que which I think a lot of people find helpful and many others don't, probably because tags are a mess.

Now I'm glad Epic is launching their own at a competitive price for developers because I think Valve could easily accept a 80/20 split instead, bandwidth and server space is only getting cheaper. But I'm never going to buy anything there and if games want to go exclusive there, well, I have about 200 other amazing games of 1000+ hrs of playtime to go through instead. It's smart though if they do exclusive for a month or two then go on Steam to catch the rest of the flock and some double dipping. So I wouldn't blame them

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 7, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Epic already got me for Journey at least. I'd definitely buy it again on PC.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 7, 2018

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Epic's lower cut for indies seems like a great strategy - it may be an actual incentive for devs to jump on this especially paired with being way more visible on the Epic launcher at this point compared to Steam's crowded release schedule. Even moreso that Steam lowered their cut specifically for big titles that sell a lot which is the exact opposite direction of what Epic is offering.

One doubt I have is that Epic is angled at mainstream audience that buys one multiplayer game a year - Gears, Unreal, Fortnite. I'm not sure they even want to browse a store instead of jumping straight into the cosmetics section or launching the game asap.

I guess the idea of having free games every month is supposed to encourage the playerbase to try out smaller titles. I think that's clever.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just wonder what happens when the bubble bursts on Fortnight. It a popular game, but it going to slow down and while they have the Unreal Engine, the 88% cut thing can get really costy once they got a lot of games running.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Palpek posted:

One doubt I have is that Epic is angled at mainstream audience that buys one multiplayer game a year - Gears, Unreal, Fortnite. I'm not sure they even want to browse a store instead of jumping straight into the cosmetics section or launching the game asap.
Do what TF2 did and have exclusive Fortnite cosmetics for owning certain games on the Epic Store. They'd probably make a killing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rirse posted:

I just wonder what happens when the bubble bursts on Fortnight. It a popular game, but it going to slow down and while they have the Unreal Engine, the 88% cut thing can get really costy once they got a lot of games running.

Then they'll drop that 88% cut to maybe 70%, and rule with an iron fist.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rirse posted:

Minecraft is still impossibly popular with the same age group. If they don't gently caress it up Fortnite's "bubble" is probably years out at the earliest.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Accordion Man posted:

Do what TF2 did and have exclusive Fortnite cosmetics for owning certain games on the Epic Store. They'd probably make a killing.
:hmmyes:

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Palpek posted:

I guess the idea of having free games every month is supposed to encourage the playerbase to try out smaller titles. I think that's clever.

I think the free games are mostly to develop a userbase to begin with. Adding competition to Steam is good but pulling a non-trivial chunk of users over will be difficult. Especially users with 1000+ games on Steam already, and those are the users who spend a lot of money on games.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Humbly requesting everyone buy Katamari Damacy Reroll, a fantastic port of a fantastic game I hold very dear and I badly want it to sell well enough that they give the sequel We Love Katamari the same treatment.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Light Gun Man posted:

Hello I play entirely too much Tower Unite and I would like to correct this misinformation. It is in fact a minigame collection, and you take the money you make from those games to decorate your houses. If customizing a place is your thing you will have a good fuckin time with Tower Unite, probably. It's also an excellent "hang out online" game, and a pretty good "go on safari and see weird poo poo people have made" game.

I've got a thread for it over here full of weird poo poo I've seen https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838146 Need to update it soon.

.... I need it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

gently caress Steam, burn all monopolies to the ground, more power to indie developers.

..Wait a sec, you're saying I have to spend two whole minutes installing a different app and then pinning it to my taskbar? Now that's a bridge too far.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Griefor posted:

I think the free games are mostly to develop a userbase to begin with. Adding competition to Steam is good but pulling a non-trivial chunk of users over will be difficult. Especially users with 1000+ games on Steam already, and those are the users who spend a lot of money on games.
They have a userbase - you need the Epic launcher to run Fortnite on PC. You can't play Fortnite on Steam. They already have millions of users. The challenge is to make them spend money on other stuff than Fortnite.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rirse posted:

Surprised that wasn't mentioned on Wario64 tweet. Because I am not watching that Game Award show and just looking at the tweet feed for him.

the person who gets really angry without looking into things has logged on

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Palpek posted:

They have a userbase - you need the Epic launcher to run Fortnite on PC. You can't play Fortnite on Steam. They already have millions of users. The challenge is to make them spend money on other stuff than Fortnite.

Okay, didn't realize that. So the same trick Valve did way back when.

There's still two types of users in that pre-existing userbase though:
-People who do not have a (big) library elsewhere
-People who do have a (big) library elsewhere

I would still argue that getting the second group to switch would be more lucrative than getting the first group to buy an extra game or two. Most 'whales' of PC gaming are currently on Steam.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLOP7xTyUA8

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Republicans posted:

Humbly requesting everyone buy Katamari Damacy Reroll, a fantastic port of a fantastic game I hold very dear and I badly want it to sell well enough that they give the sequel We Love Katamari the same treatment.

Well poo poo, I know what I'm buying for Christmas this year

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

END ME SCOOB posted:

I know it came up here recently but there were no receipts: CDProjekt has indeed fired the Gamergate PR dude and if you're one of us for whom that was a deal breaker, feel free to buy from them again.

That article is hilarious if only because of how obvious it is that the guy is lying through his loving teeth about literally everything and is just trying desperately to cover his rear end because he actually suffered negative consequences for his actions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BexGu posted:

HA, Epic Games comes out swinging at Steam.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1070870373183315968

Yeah okay I guess I'll look at that then for Subnautica

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bethesda thinks its the new Epic and they just made Rage 2 exclusive to their lovely launcher. I too cannot wait to give this company known for reliability my personal info and credit card details.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Bethesda thinks its the new Epic and they just made Rage 2 exclusive to their lovely launcher. I too cannot wait to give this company known for reliability my personal info and credit card details.

Did the first Rage do that well? Don't see that game being big enough to make it worth being exclusive to the Bethesda launcher.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think it's less "rage did really well so lets make it exclusive to our new game client" than "we own the rights to rage so lets make it exclusive to our new game client"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Saoshyant posted:

Lmfao. Good way to sabotage sales bigly. It’s not as if it’s some largely popular and sought after name brand to begin with. It’s basically a very small slice of the people that likes Rage enough to even watch the trailer and be cautiously optimistic to begin with, which are probably Steam nerds to begin with

I bet it won’t be exclusive for long. Or else quite a lot of people are going to be turning to :filez: (myself possibly included)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Saoshyant posted:

didn't bethesda just finish dragging their name through the dogshit with F76 or am i getting badly confused

i know their publisher and dev wings aren't the same people but they're the same company and that's good enough

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Saoshyant posted:

Doom Eternal was already confirmed to be exclusive to it too.