Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to remember why I never went back and played Atelier Arland on my Vita or PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dehry posted:

I'm starting to remember why I never went back and played Atelier Arland on my Vita or PS3.

maybe just play totori or meruru if you don't like rorona, i think they have more stuff happening right?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

maybe just play totori or meruru if you don't like rorona, i think they have more stuff happening right?

Totori was my first experience of Arland and if not for Escha & Logy looking a lot more interesting I probably would have never given any Atelier game another look.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

I actually starts with Meruru, and it was pretty good except for like 7/8ths of the cast being from the previous games.
(And from what happened to Rorona in there).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Well, I am having fun with Rorona :shrug:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm considering Meruru actually just since it's the only one I haven't really experienced in the modern era (Totori > Escha&Logy>Rorona Plus > Shallie and the rest as they came out)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

legend of mana is really good but because you can do the quests in any order, they wrote the dialogue to be extremely ambiguous so basically none of the characters can ever remember having met you
Sometimes I think that I should play Legend of Mana again, play three missions, and get done. I think I honestly only like it for the visuals, music, and atmosphere. The combat system I would call "workable" but it gets awfully samey pretty quick and missing things because you're very slightly off of their Z position is not fun.

That music, though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za2X4DxFd70

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Something interesting with Rorona is that it seems to force itself to run in what I presume is steam's big picture mode:

I don't use big picture mode at all, so I'm not even sure if that's what this is, but definitely was odd.

I wonder if the rating issue is more a compliance sort of deal, where steam doesn't want things to only function in BPM? The games are all still up on the PSN store.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Are you using a controller through steam's integration? If so big picture is automatically enabled when you start a game

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

Amppelix posted:

Are you using a controller through steam's integration? If so big picture is automatically enabled when you start a game

I have a 360 controller plugged in and this is the only game that's ever forced big picture mode. The game from the top communication is Neptunia VII and it has the normal overlay despite using the controller.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That's just a Steam thing, it has nothing to do with whatever the hell is happening with Rorona.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah steam is just weird like that with newer games. happened to me with okami hd

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Amppelix posted:

Sometimes I think that I should play Legend of Mana again, play three missions, and get done. I think I honestly only like it for the visuals, music, and atmosphere. The combat system I would call "workable" but it gets awfully samey pretty quick and missing things because you're very slightly off of their Z position is not fun.

That music, though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za2X4DxFd70

I still think the combat is fine, and the charm and quirk of everything combined with the incredible visuals and soundtrack still allow it to work, but yeah there's a lot of issues, like how it has a frankly absurdly overly complex crafting system that is just utterly unnecessary.

But really, the SOUNDTRACK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elu5LoFiiXE

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The music was really depressingly compressed

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok, exactly how broken will I make Wild Arms 3 if I go and farm a nice supply of this full carrot that I just got

Because it seems like the answer is "very". You just use one of those at the start of every battle with Virginia and got to town with gatlings/ summons. And if they're still alive somehow just do it again.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Ok, exactly how broken will I make Wild Arms 3 if I go and farm a nice supply of this full carrot that I just got

Because it seems like the answer is "very". You just use one of those at the start of every battle with Virginia and got to town with gatlings/ summons. And if they're still alive somehow just do it again.

farming breaks the game no matter what you're growing tbh

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeUANrB42rA new nelke trailer

looks like for the one they released for TGS, they edited out characters that hadn't actually been revealed yet (like shallistera) so that explains why a lot of the scenes seemed like they were missing something

also looks like NOCO drew god know how many other not-protagonist characters from this series, drat i don't envy this woman's sleep schedule

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 6, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Should have done Atelier Musou for the anniversary

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I'm gonna listen to Falcom buttrock all day and god himself can't stop me

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Legend of Mana is really good.

My hot take is that Legend of Mana is the only consistently good one and SD2 and 3 are games with strong, memorable first halves but nobody talks about them after you get fast travel because the pacing and difficulty poop the bed.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

al-azad posted:

My hot take is that Legend of Mana is the only consistently good one and SD2 and 3 are games with strong, memorable first halves but nobody talks about them after you get fast travel because the pacing and difficulty poop the bed.

I completely agree with this.
I also replay Legend of Mana usually once every other year.

Which reminds me, I got a PocketStation this year, so maybe my next replay will be the Japanese version.

edit: there's a hack to restore it to the US version, okay I'm doing that then

vkeios fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 6, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was mocking its ridiculousness earlier but I think Rorona might have my second favorite alchemist design after Sophie. Her outfit, while bizarre if you pay attention to what its composed of, is very cute.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 6, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why would human semé be a substitute for horse manure

EightFlyingCars posted:

I'm gonna listen to Falcom buttrock all day and god himself can't stop me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CKQqDMusIo

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 6, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
rorona's outfit is incredibly stylish and i would love a pair of those boots

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Make everyone wear Rorona's hat

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In Rorona, how do I control which effects an item has? The ones on the right of the screen that would be controlled by filling the elemental bars in the later games like healing jars with healing XS vs healing S

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

In Rorona, how do I control which effects an item has? The ones on the right of the screen that would be controlled by filling the elemental bars in the later games like healing jars with healing XS vs healing S

Each bar corresponds to one of the ingredients, and so you pick the water or whatever that puts the bar in the place you want it to be. It averages out all the ingredients you pick for that category, so doing bulk high end items is difficult.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Each bar corresponds to one of the ingredients, and so you pick the water or whatever that puts the bar in the place you want it to be. It averages out all the ingredients you pick for that category, so doing bulk high end items is difficult.

Is there anything you can do to help find ingredients that boost the bars by more? It seems to correlate with quality but not just be quality itself so I don't really get it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Joker got in smash

Anyone is a candidate. Even Rorona.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lydie and Suelle for smash imo

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there anything you can do to help find ingredients that boost the bars by more? It seems to correlate with quality but not just be quality itself so I don't really get it.

For slots where you can use any item from a category rather than just a single specific item, it's affected by both the quality and the tier of the item you're using. For example, if a recipe calls for a [Plant] as an ingredient, using a really rare type of plant will probably create an item with better traits than using regular old grass, even if they're the same quality.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That's either a really fancy gemstone or a nice piece of papercraft.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Commander Keene posted:

It's a pie ingredient

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

IIRC Ruby Prism is a traditional-for-series mistranlation of what should be "philosopher's stone".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol Can you still not call anything the 'Philosopher's Stone' is the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Radiant Historia has some good rear end music.